Rumors are flying this morning

AUY2K

2 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Is Lane worth that?  I hate to be in a bidding war.

Seen the cost of gas lately? Houses? Cars? Welcome to inflation. 

Not going to be difficult out-bidding a 4-year contract. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Viper said:

Seen the cost of gas lately? Houses? Cars? Welcome to inflation. 

Not going to be difficult out-bidding a 4-year contract. 

I dont understand fans worried about a bidding war. Auburn has the resources(thankfully), and weve tried going cheap the last 3 hires. I dont believe Cohen was brought in to hire a 2nd tier coach. 

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Question for the board. If Kiffin wants  Jimbo type contract . Say 10 yrs at 10 million a year.. All $ guaranteed... Should we do it?    I have my doubts

Hell no.

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Question for the board. If Kiffin wants  Jimbo type contract . Say 10 yrs at 10 million a year.. All $ guaranteed... Should we do it?    I have my doubts

Not the post the idea. Can’t get locked into the Jimbo void 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I say no. That’s way too big a contract without seeing any results yet. We did that with GM after one season and it was never repeated. TAMU looks very foolish currently, though that doesn’t mean he won’t work out in the next year or two, but with the current transfer rules and NIL, no signing class is for sure anymore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old fan 47 said:

I say no. That’s way too big a contract without seeing any results yet. We did that with GM after one season and it was never repeated. TAMU looks very foolish currently, though that doesn’t mean he won’t work out in the next year or two, but with the current transfer rules and NIL, no signing class is for sure anymore. 

I agree. But P Marshall thinks Ole Miss has offered 9.5 million a yr 

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If Price is Right has taught me anything, it's that we have the power to offer 9,500,001. Take that Ole Mississippiiiiiiiii.

image.thumb.png.a41e28c5874a0508aad06327b750342a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

True, but didn’t I read where the state of Miss only allows 4 year contracts? I am now also reading articles about TAMU firing Jimbo and going after Deion. At this point, I can only go on what I mainly read on this board and a few other sites, but after the buyouts of our prior two coaches, I’m not sure anybody is worth a big contract without proving themselves. I mean, we could offer Caddy 2 years much cheaper and probably begin coming back to life. He’s already catching the attention of some recruits as interim. Truth is I guess, none of us know and probably won’t have an answer until at least after the Iron Bowl. Just my thoughts. Fun and stressful to think about at the same time though. 

3 hours ago, CR said:

I dont understand fans worried about a bidding war. Auburn has the resources(thankfully), and weve tried going cheap the last 3 hires. I dont believe Cohen was brought in to hire a 2nd tier coach. 

If you remember back to 2020 when we supposedly offered Mario Cristobal $7 million per year. We were very confident he would move back to the southeast plus Oregon and the PAC 12 don't pay much at all. Well, Mario stayed at Oregon and got a raise to only $5 million or so per year. 

Just saying that money isn't everything to these coaches. The right fit is. When you're a millionaire like they all are, money just doesn't seem to be as important as it is to us everyday people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

It almost seems too good to be true. I’m usually a positive person, but I just expect the worst when it comes to Auburn football hires. 

I know what you mean. This Kiffin news feels an awful lot like the Mario Cristobal news in 2020. I just have a feeling that our eventual HC hasn't even been talked about yet. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Just saying that money isn't everything to these coaches. The right fit is. When you're a millionaire like they all are, money just doesn't seem to be as important as it is to us everyday people.

In their fed and state tax bracket, take 40-45% right off the top. It’s still massive money but the incremental salary difference starts bumping into quality of life/family stuff. Hard to predict how any person will prioritize.

53 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

In their fed and state tax bracket, take 40-45% right off the top. It’s still massive money but the incremental salary difference starts bumping into quality of life/family stuff. Hard to predict how any person will prioritize.

If they are leaving 1HC job for another, it would seem like family impact would be a wash.

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

In professional sports, it's a big deciding factor to play in the state of Florida where there is no state tax. I've seen a ton of players mention this as the deciding factor when faced with a decision of a team in Florida versus a team that has State tax. It does make a big difference as you stated.

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I know what you mean. This Kiffin news feels an awful lot like the Mario Cristobal news in 2020. I just have a feeling that our eventual HC hasn't even been talked about yet. 

Well, since Clay Helton has been put out there, it won't be him. You've done a great service! :)

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

No. Kiffin is no more likely to succeed than several of the others who have been mentioned. Let's don't pretend we can afford to do what A&M has done. We do have some money people but I don't think they can take a hit like that and then turn around and help in a big way next time.

• Like 2