Rumors are flying this morning

AUY2K

7 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Gus knew how. He blew alot of tires on the Bus

Yeah, but how many got changed? That’s why he gone!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

I don’t think anyone knows, just saying this coach and that coach without an ounce of proof. We don’t know who has been considered or eliminated. We will find out when we find out. 

I am referring to canadiates in past hires.  We should have enough common sense not to even consider high school coaches and coaches that don't have sufficient experience at Power 5 school preferably the SEC.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I am referring to canadiates in past hires.  We should have enough common sense not to even consider high school coaches and coaches that don't have sufficient experience at Power 5 school preferably the SEC.

So does that mean we should eliminate Prime and Grimes in your opinion?

25 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Grimes has an extensive Power 5 track record in various conferences including the SEC. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Sadly last week severely dampened my opinion of Grimes.

Ha probably not a good idea to base opinions on a week to week basis lol. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Perhaps Dabo knows "the ship has sailed" as far as him ever being coach at UA?   Maybe he wants to show them what they missed?

Not necessarily.  Dabo is 52 years old, Satan is 71.  Even if waits a few more years to retire, the Updykes will still be happy to hire Dabo and he'll be young enough for the rigors of that job.  But is Dabo's itch different and returning to UA is not as important to him these days ?  His success away from UA far outweighs what PBB accomplished so he shouldn't feel indebted to them just because he was a student at UA.  But, every bama fan I've talked to has assumed that he, like PBB, will return to momma.  Don't know.

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The people on here saying no to Dabo are absolutely hilarious. I have no clue how much substance there is to the Dabo situation, but I could see reasons for Dabo being interested and even taking the job. 

I don't remember a search in my lifetime where we made a pass at a candidate with a resume even remotely close to Dabo's. 2 time NC winner. Proven recruiter. Proven program builder. Multiple playoff appearances. Multiple ACC championships. I mean ...the fact that there is any rumor in regards to a possibility of him considering the job is a Huge step in the right direction for us. 

I agree that at least making an offer to Dabo should be done.  AU would be foolish not to do so.  He's the type of candidate we desperately need to quickly turn our program into a consistent top 5 producer.  The problem I think that AU fans have had is that they we've been willing to settle for less.  These days AU can't wait to groom an up and comer.  We need results now !

Those who have guaranteed the salaries of Chizik, GM and BH must be saying to themselves that AU is paying more money for coaches to leave than to stay.  It's a joke to think about that amount of money spent to get rid of just the last two coaches.  Including the last 3 seasons of GM's and BH's regular pay, plus the money AU paid for separation, amounts to around $65-70 million.  That amounts to $13-14 million/season of coaching.  What did AU get in return ?  Two coaches who were okay with mediocre-horrible results.  

IF Dabo is really on the market, then I'd offer him $15 million/year for a ten-year contract.  AU is already paying that kind of money anyway to make coaches go away.  Even if it's $16-17 million/year, then AU should pull the trigger.  The money people have shown that they are willing to spend this kind of dough.  AU can't afford to speculate with an unproven coach like Sanders, or LK (the Mark Richt of the West Div.) or HF.  AU really has to hit a home run with this hire to reassert itself as a consistent national player.  The hire, whether Dabo or not, has to be a big name to draw in recruits and fire up the fan base.  That's a lot of popcorn to sell, but it will pay off in the long run.  $10 popcorn anyone ?

The most important result in AU hiring Dabo is that it would absolutely put a stake in the heart of UA fans.  That alone would take decades for them to overcome from the shock and worth every penny paid Dabo.  Not that I'm a vengeful person, but that would undoubtedly be the result of AU hiring Dabo.  I can hear my brother-in-law now complaining about how Dabo stabbed UA in the back because he became HC of AU's program.  Every Updyke I know would say the same.  It would crush and humiliate them.🙂

PS  For those who will complain about my stating that Sanders, LK and HF as being unproven, well, they are. 

HF w/l record at UM '12-'16: 2012 Ole Miss Rebels Schedule | ESPN.  He's a loser in more ways than one.  LK will not be a stellar coach.  Sanders- 2 good seasons, really ?

Why eat Spam when you can have filet mignon ?

HIRE DABO !!!

WDE !!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Qualified support/non support of Auburn depending on a coach is nauseous regardless.

There’s some pretty shady coaches out there 

I’d turn my nose up at Dabo but I wouldn’t jump ship over it (unless he started losing). On 0-Art Briles, Hugh is like a 7 to me. Nothing illegal, just negative 100% morals. 

some people were legitimately considering Art last search though, so we’re in a good spot as a fanbase if Hugh is the worst person on the board 

11 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

I don't like Kiffen and I borderline hate Dabo, but if they came to Auburn they would be our A holes and I would support them 100%.

I don't think supporting or not supporting them is in question, unless they quickly reveal themselves to be Harsin part 2. Not wanting a guy before he is hired doesn't translate into not rooting for Auburn after the new guy is in place.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Prime definitely but Grimes has experience at the SEC and power 5 level.  He was OL coach at Auburn and is currently OC at Baylor.  Now that I said that about Grimes and consider him to have sufficient experience for the job I think there other canadiates that would do a better job than Grimes.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Sometimes you think you hire the best available coach and then you lose to Vandy. 

To be fair, Kirby lost to Vandy his first year. Rough first year at Florida but it was expected and he's at least recruiting well.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Grimes has an extensive Power 5 track record in various conferences including the SEC. 

I’d prefer someone with a proven track record as a HC. Nobody would bring Grimes up if he had not coached here like Gus did.

7 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I’d prefer someone with a proven track record as a HC. Nobody would bring Grimes up if he had not coached here like Gus did.

He’s not in my top 3. I was just addressing the fact that he does have P5 experience. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

at what being on the sidelines?

That’s usually where coaches and coordinators hang out on GameDay. 😅

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

He’s not in my top 3. I was just addressing the fact that he does have P5 experience. 

Then why not go get a coach that has HC experience but has P5 experience?  I could name a few that have great records...more than Grimes...

Just now, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Then why not go get a coach that has HC experience but has P5 experience?  I could name a few that have great records...more than Grimes...

I was responding to a post about his lack of experience in P5. I’m well aware he has no HC experience. I’m also not advocating him for HC. Context and reading the whole thread are important.  

2 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

He would be our Jimbo. Both of which won natties, recruit well but benefited from being in the ACC. 

The likelihood of Dabo coming to AU is remote at best, but Alabama wouldn't think longer than a nanosecond about your statement WHEN they hire him.  IF Dabo ever goes to Alabama, we will rue the day for letting him slip through our fingers.  He will be a continuation of PBB's and Saban's success.  He has the proven resume', the most outstanding is his good CHARACTER, on and off the field.

Jimbo is having his own issues, but Dabo is a different class of coach:

1) Dabo has an 81% win average for 15 seasons.  That is incredible no matter the conference. 

2) Since 2015, Dabo has taken Clemson to the NCG 4 times, winning twice.  He has beaten the very best coaches including Bob Stoops, Urban, Kelly, Day, Saban and Gus.  Saban he beat twice ('17, '19) for the NC. These are not second rate coaches.  The only other college football coach who holds a candle to him or Saban is Urban.

3) Since '15, Clemson has had a final ranking of #1 twice, #2 twice, #3 once, #4 once.

Did Dabo benefit from playing in the ACC ?  Absolutely, but he proved himself when it counted in bowl games, playoffs and National Championship Games.......repeatedly.

Dabo won without the best recruiting classes. Since 2014 his recruiting class rankings were 16,9, 11, 16, 7, 10, 3, 5, 10.  He did far better than Gus with the same recruiting success.

Dabo knows how to recruit, coach and WIN !  AU would be worse than foolish to not pursue him if there is an opportunity.  AU better steal him just to keep him from coaching at Alabama and PAY DABO WHATEVER HE WANTS.

I hope that my comments show how vastly different Dabo and Jimbo are and that Dabo would be the best hire since Dye.

WDE !!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

The likelihood of Dabo coming to AU is remote at best, but Alabama wouldn't think longer than a nanosecond about your statement WHEN they hire him.  IF Dabo ever goes to Alabama, we will rue the day for letting him slip through our fingers.  He will be a continuation of PBB's and Saban's success.  He has the proven resume', the most outstanding is his good CHARACTER, on and off the field.

Jimbo is having his own issues, but Dabo is a different class of coach:

1) Dabo has an 81% win average for 15 seasons.  That is incredible no matter the conference. 

2) Since 2015, Dabo has taken Clemson to the NCG 4 times, winning twice.  He has beaten the very best coaches including Bob Stoops, Urban, Kelly, Day, Saban and Gus.  Saban he beat twice ('17, '19) for the NC. These are not second rate coaches.  The only other college football coach who holds a candle to him or Saban is Urban.

3) Since '15, Clemson has had a final ranking of #1 twice, #2 twice, #3 once, #4 once.

Did Dabo benefit from playing in the ACC ?  Absolutely, but he proved himself when it counted in bowl games, playoffs and National Championship Games.......repeatedly.

Dabo won without the best recruiting classes. Since 2014 his recruiting class rankings were 16,9, 11, 16, 7, 10, 3, 5, 10.  He did far better than Gus with the same recruiting success.

Dabo knows how to recruit, coach and WIN !  AU would be worse than foolish to not pursue him if there is an opportunity.  AU better steal him just to keep him from coaching at Alabama and PAY DABO WHATEVER HE WANTS.

I hope that my comments show how vastly different Dabo and Jimbo are and that Dabo would be the best hire since Dye.

WDE !!!

I agree with all of this 💯

For all the Caddy isn’t ready for the big time folks I think today said a lot.  I fully expected Auburn to fold in the 2nd half, WKU win, and the Caddy experiment to come to an end.  The way the team came out and completely dominated a decent WKU team is a testament to this coaching staff.  If Caddy had gotten this gig in the bye week like everyone expected Auburn would probably be bowl eligible and playing Bama for a winning record.  

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

If today was audition day…

Lane…F Minus

Freeze… F Minus

Deion…  B
Franklin… A

Dabo… A

I think Franklin is a clown and consistent underachiever who just played a horrible team today…

Deion is a well known risk/reward scenario and Dabo would be the highest level coach we’ve ever even tried to hire that I’m aware of. 
I know it’s not about today only…but todays column in the spreadsheet reads pretty clearly Dabo 1A, Deion 1B 

Lane and HF decimated their averages today and should be considered much lower on the totem pole. 
One day doesn’t define a career…but outlandishly horrible days certainly leave a black mark…

Edit:…to say with a potential caveat of LK having already taken the job and his team knows it and didn’t show up…then leaving less of a mark…and an irrelevant one because in that scenario he’s already hired…

Edited by MustardSeed