Ashford

TigerHorn

Say what you like about him, kid's a danged warrior. Left it all on the field today, and now per an article on another site has played all year with a throwing shoulder injury so bad he couldn't sleep at times. I hope we get to see what he can do healthy with quality coaching. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Just now, TigerHorn said:

Say what you like about him, kid's a danged warrior. Left it all on the field today, and now per an article on another site has played all year with a throwing shoulder injury so bad he couldn't sleep at times. I hope we get to see what he can do healthy with quality coaching. 

I chalked up a lot of his issues this year with being new to the field in the meat grinder of AU's schedule. Tom Brady in his prime wouldve struggled with this OL and WR corp. Clean up the mistakes, sharpen the fundamentals, he could be legit. If not, he gave it his all and that's much appreciated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

I genuinely think a lot of the guys have played injured more than in the past due to lack of depth.

Edited by au701948
  • Love 1

Guest MustardSeed

If it’s true he has a throwing shoulder injury then maybe we are all wrong about his true qb ability…   Time will tell but I certainly respect the kid. He’s been in one heck of a tough spot and handled it all pretty well considering 

I’ve crapped on him a lot because he’s not that great and I hate his body language at times but he really played his ass off today. Kudos to him. Helluva performance. He could be dangerous with some development but we need a fully developed QB ready to go in 23. 

• Like 3

He played his ass off tonight and hopefully he has matured, but we do need a better QB for 2023.  

Hopefully RA will move to WR where he can be better utilized with his speed.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

He’s awesome! Athletic, tough, seems to love Auburn. Just not consistent enough. If that’s because of an injury, it makes me optimistic about what he can do healthy. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, alexava said:

He’s awesome! Athletic, tough, seems to love Auburn. Just not consistent enough. If that’s because of an injury, it makes me optimistic about what he can do healthy. 

True...but when will “healthy” come?   Calzada showed cant bank on anything being quick and easy

He’s a great athlete and tough as nails no doubt. In a perfect world he wouldn’t be my QB, but I’d sure have a spot in the lineup somewhere for him. 

• Like 2

If he can stay off the baseball field in the spring and focus on football, I think he has potential to be a stud. He played his heart out especially the last month. 

I'd take him as a QB if he can be at about 59-61%, and completing the easy ones on the deep ball can be close to a guarantee. He basically just needs to be 2014 Nick Marshall and he's better suited to succeed game 1 next season than anyone else I think we can throw out there (realistically) 

• Like 2

He came a long way this season.   With the right HC & staff, the whole off-season to recover, and starting with QB1 reps next season I think he's got a lot of upside.

• Like 1

He needs to be taken into the lab and given a boatload of instruction and reps from a legit QB coach. He's flawed from the ground-up (abysmal footwork, overall poor QB instincts [oftentimes can be caught not even looking downfield at his receivers when pressured].) 

BUT, he's such a weapon as an option QB that you just have to keep him at that position imo, and hope that he improves as a passer. I THINK that he can become a competent passer if given the time and resources. Unfortunately for him, Auburn, as a program, has very little patience. 

Edited by HabitualChiller

robby had me close to tears yesterday. i am not kidding. he was a warrior and at one point in the game he was hurting pretty bad and not once did he ask to leave the game. i refuse to mention any shortcomings because of his effort alone and his love for auburn. it just strikes me as some of you being ungrateful. his shoulder has been tore up and not a hundred percent as another poster said. the pain was so bad there were nights he could not sleep from the pain. let the kid have his day without throwing that  "but"crap in there.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Kid has grit, and he fought hard all night. With some good coaching, I believe he could be lethal. 

i was not huge on him early but he earned a place in my heart yesterday. i hope we coach him up and help get him the coaching he needs to succeed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

True...but when will “healthy” come?   Calzada showed cant bank on anything being quick and easy

I have no idea. But if he was playing healthy this season I don’t think he can improve his passing enough to be a true Qb. 

I agree with all of the positive comments.  But his throwing accuracy is terrible, he doesn’t see the field well at all, his decisions are not solid. These are among three of the most important QB required skills at an SEC level program. I hope he can overcome these deficiencies, but I am very concerned he will not. And until we actually have a coaching staff to get him to the next level I am very concerned.  

There will be a spring practice competition with a qualified coach. Ashford, Geriner, Calzada and whoever we can bring in from the portal will have their chances to show what they've got. This past year LSU, Ole Miss, Kentucky and South Carolina brought in transfer QB's who started and won games. Hopefully our new coach can find one for us.

Give it time, it will shake out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChrisH said:

If he can stay off the baseball field in the spring and focus on football, I think he has potential to be a stud. He played his heart out especially the last month. 

He hasn't tried to play baseball at Auburn. His record at Oregon says he was having trouble hitting college pitching. I don't think baseball is part of his Auburn future.