Auburn 'in conversations' with more QBs on transfer board

aubiefifty

New portal qb from lsu- The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Howard was a five-star quarterback signee in LSU’s class of 2022 out of Lafayette (La.) St. Thomas More.  He was rated as the nation’s No. 1 dual-threat QB by ESPN.

23 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

New portal qb from lsu- The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Howard was a five-star quarterback signee in LSU’s class of 2022 out of Lafayette (La.) St. Thomas More.  He was rated as the nation’s No. 1 dual-threat QB by ESPN.

Seriously?  I guess he didn't see what everybody else saw Monday night...  That's HUGE get for TCU if so.  

I’ve recently heard Mike Wright, QB from Vandy, may be headed to Auburn or Ole Miss. anyone else hearing this?  Not sure about him, he seemed pedestrian at times. But solid numbers and beat Kentucky and Florida this season. 

Seems like every QB that hits the portal right now signs with a program an hour later. Spencer Sanders has been in portal over a month and hasn't been able to sign with anyone. Must be some problem that we don't know about. If there are no more visits and no QB has visited Auburn, does that mean we struck out on getting a transfer QB. Several posters have said AU will not sign a Quarterback who hasn't visited.

8 hours ago, autan said:

Must be some problem that we don't know about.

Exactly.  I don't know anything specific, but Sanders has been in the portal for more than a month, and we haven't even offered a visit.  I fear he could be Calzada 2.0.  We cannot afford to waste NIL money and a roster spot on a transfer QB that won't contribute in 2023.  That would be Harsin-level dumb.

8 hours ago, autan said:

Seems like every QB that hits the portal right now signs with a program an hour later. Spencer Sanders has been in portal over a month and hasn't been able to sign with anyone. Must be some problem that we don't know about. If there are no more visits and no QB has visited Auburn, does that mean we struck out on getting a transfer QB. Several posters have said AU will not sign a Quarterback who hasn't visited.

Heavy price tag?? 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TigerVII said:

More likely a lingering and slow-healing injury

If true that makes sense why Freeze and staff did not seem to show any interest. If Harsin had done homework on Calzada they would have understood his injury was worse then what they originally thought with Calzada.

19 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Seriously?  I guess he didn't see what everybody else saw Monday night...  That's HUGE get for TCU if so.  

Is he definitely a TCU lock?

1 hour ago, CT Tiger said:

Is he definitely a TCU lock?

I think so. It’s pretty amazing that if you really wanna dive into whether or not we are going to get a player, you can look at the coaches and who they are following on Twitter and Instagram, etc. also look at other team boards (like TCU here) and follow mods/insiders. I would never ever have time to do this, but there are people on other AU boards that are committed, or should be haha, and he is not looking at us right now. I wish he was. 

of course that can change.

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I think so. It’s pretty amazing that if you really wanna dive into whether or not we are going to get a player, you can look at the coaches and who they are following on Twitter and Instagram, etc. also look at other team boards (like TCU here) and follow mods/insiders. I would never ever have time to do this, but there are people on other AU boards that are committed, or should be haha, and he is not looking at us right now. I wish he was. 

of course that can change.

He is visiting some schools. Don't know who

9 hours ago, TigerVII said:

More likely a lingering and slow-healing injury

I am not sure on the injury but I suspect it.  I have read he wanted $850k + in NIL money.  Not worth it for what he produced and with potential injury issues.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mom2kid said:

TCU OC just took Clemson job.  HF should reach out

Side note: he will do well at Clemson!!

6 hours ago, mom2kid said:

TCU OC just took Clemson job.  HF should reach out

And now TCU, OM, Florida are the leaders. 
I am shocked we did not go all in for him. Maybe we did and he did not want to come, but we need a QB. 

it is the one missing piece between being average and good next year. Our QB room is the weakest link right now. 

Edited by gr82b4au

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Spencer Sanders must not be very good. We have not offered and he has not committed to anyone yet, including OM. 

I suspect it has to do with his injury.   He may still be rehabbing.   It would be a high risk to bring in a portal  QB  that can not go through or compete at  100% for spring practice .      May as well wait on a better QB  and  work with what we have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I suspect it has to do with his injury.   He may still be rehabbing.   It would be a high risk to bring in a portal  QB  that can not go through or compete at  100% for spring practice .    

Like we did last year. 

Has to be either the injury issue or he is asking for too much NIL.  He is talented and a better option right now than Robby.  Notice I said right now, which is all that matters.  It is a strange situation to say the least. I really do hope we get an upgrade at QB prior to the season, preferably within the next week.  I hate to hang our hopes on Robby if he does not drastically improve at passing and decision making during the spring.  Who knows, maybe he does.  If that's the case, let's roll.  Having said that, it is a big risk.  I would rather have a QB that is more mature and accurate (hence the reason a 1 and done is perfect for our situation), otherwise it limits your play calling and the defense knows you are one dimensional and can load up on the run.  We saw that all season.  One full season under Freeze/Austin/Montgomery will tell us all we need to know about Robby.  Will he improve or is he what he is........a talented runner?

• Like 1

Agree on the Sanders thoughts.   He is a good and experienced QB.   If everything were “normal” he would already be on his new team building chemistry with his new OL and WRs.   I think, like others have said, either the injury may be worse than everyone thought and he won’t be 100% in the spring or he just wanted to cash in as much as possible.  🤷‍♂️   I’m not sure how our coaches would’ve known either of those things without a visit.   But it is very clear that something is off with his recruitment.   

7 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

And now TCU, OM, Florida are the leaders. 
I am shocked we did not go all in for him. Maybe we did and he did not want to come, but we need a QB. 

it is the one missing piece between being average and good next year. Our QB room is the weakest link right now. 

Did he even play last year? So we expect him to come in and start in the SEC West?

On 1/11/2023 at 11:54 PM, autan said:

If there are no more visits and no QB has visited Auburn, does that mean we struck out on getting a transfer QB

@autan Nope! We still have the May transfer window.

• Like 1