TJ Finley Returns to Team

toddc

Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley returns to team

1355898085.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
(Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

One of Auburn’s quarterbacks that appeared to be leaving at the end of last year may be staying with the team after all.

Nathan King of 247sports reported on Wednesday that quarterback T.J. Finley, who appeared to have left the team after the firing of coach Bryan Harsin, is back with the Tigers for their winter workouts. Finley began 2022 as the team’s starter before eventually being phased out for quarterback Robby Ashford.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Finley came to Auburn after transferring to the Plains from LSU in 2021. He had his career-best completion percentage over a season in 2022 with 62.3 percent, but he threw just one touchdown to four interceptions. In any year where he’s had more than 100 attempts, Finley has never had a completion percentage over 60 percent.

The senior returns to the team after leavingit for the last four games last year for reasons unrelated to injury – Finley got injured earlier in the year and then did not win the job back from Ashford for the rest of the year. Finley never entered the portal, however, and he appears to be back with the team once again under new head coach Hugh Freeze. It’s unknown who Freeze intends to have under center for 2023, but Finley could be in the mix with his return to the roster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i posted this thirty minutes ago. i guess you do not look at the articles i post. they are trying to declutter the board some which is why i am doing this.

• Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i posted this thirty minutes ago. i guess you do not look at the articles i post. they are trying to declutter the board some which is why i am doing this.

Something this big needs its own thread . The reason they asked you to do that was because you were posting too many articles that weren’t really big news. No I don’t read the article thread, sorry.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Something this big needs its own thread . The reason they asked you to do that was because you were posting too many articles that weren’t really big news. No I don’t read the article thread, sorry.

you take a shot at my big news and then double post on tj? ok dude. at least i am a team player.

just a reminder you have told me before when i reposted something. bad look dude. and petty. ok i am done. i would not want your important article to get locked god forbid.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

you take a shot at my big news and then double post on tj? ok dude. at least i am a team player.

In the recruiting forum I was answering a question by ellitor. Didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers dude. Geez 🙄 Lighten up and don’t take forums so seriously and you’ll live longer. I don’t know how I took a shot at your “big news “, but anyway.

• Like 1

What was the reason Finley left in the 1st place. IMO, Danny Hugh should get the blessing of the team b4 Finley is welcomed back. I heard his absence wasn't injury related. Robby, according to him was playing hurt with no one to back him up but  True Freshman. So basically Robby was hung out to dry hurt or not. Gotta be careful with team chemistry here IMO

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

What was the reason Finley left in the 1st place. IMO, Danny Hugh should get the blessing of the team b4 Finley is welcomed back. I heard his absence wasn't injury related. Robby, according to him was playing hurt with no one to back him up but  True Freshman. So basically Robby was hung out to dry hurt or not. Gotta be careful with team chemistry here IMO

It’s a pretty weird situation to me. Don’t know how you handle snap counts and first team reps etc during spring without causing some issues. Maybe the players are good with him being involved. He was well liked by his teammates before. I hope TJ figures it out and does well in whatever he decides to do after graduation in the spring.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I don't believe he was taking a shot at you, Fiddy. I think he was just stating that maybe everyone doesn't go into the article thread and this was a pretty big one. (I could be wrong?) I didn't take it as disrespect.

• Like 2

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

I don't believe he was taking a shot at you, Fiddy. I think he was just stating that maybe everyone doesn't go into the article thread and this was a pretty big one. (I could be wrong?) I didn't take it as disrespect.

You’re correct a mundo! 

Here's a thought.....Maybe he didn't quit on the team and the stuff you guys heard wasn't true! Nah......it couldn't be that 😂

• Like 2

I imagine that Freeze could have denied TJ's return to the team and given his scholarship to someone else, if he felt TJ quit on the team last year.

On the other hand, I wonder if allowing TJ to return has anything to do with Freeze's failure to sign a good transfer QB.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Here's a thought.....Maybe he didn't quit on the team and the stuff you guys heard wasn't true! Nah......it couldn't be that 😂

What was it? Seriously asking... Heard it wasn't injury related. IMO, it needs to be a team decision if he is let back on the team . Don't matter to me one way or the other. I wasn't the one playing hurt cause, I didn't have a backup. The team knows the reason, so IMO they should decide.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

28 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

i am just doing what i was asked to do by the mods. my point is if it is posted twice someone is wasting time. i have no problems but in the past he has told me i double posted and it was removed by me no problem. i just hate wasting my time. but enough already.personally i got no problem with him.

31 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Why was he "welcomed" back after he QUIT on the team and his parents pulled their shenanigans? Maybe he can hold for field goals.

it could be a million things. he was not removed from the team. maybe he thought he was getting lost in the shuffle and they promised him an honest chance. or maybe he messed up with his tweets and had to do extra workouts or something. tj was a favorite of mine and i would bet it was worked out some how. the new staff did show him something i believe with all the new O line guys we got. i wish him well and to be honest you never know when things will click and a player take that next step.

15 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I imagine that Freeze could have denied TJ's return to the team and given his scholarship to someone else, if he felt TJ quit on the team last year.

On the other hand, I wonder if allowing TJ to return has anything to do with Freeze's failure to sign a good transfer QB.

i think we are in good shape with folks doing their jobs,etc. hell we could be texas a and m. i have had several people tell me players were smoking pot in the locker room. it sounds kind of wild but i look back at fsu and jimbo and i realize it might be true.

How about he had a man to man talk with T.J., saw where is head is at and our OC/HC feel like they can utilize his strengths? It really doesn't have to be more than that. And no I do not think TJ is horrible. I do think with a decent line and adequate coaching he can be serviceable. I also believe the staff his still seeking out the a fit transfer QB. It is not the Sanders kid, if it was, he would be here right now.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

How about he had a man to man talk with T.J., saw where is head is at and our OC/HC feel like they can utilize his strengths? It really doesn't have to be more than that. And no I do not think TJ is horrible. I do think with a decent line and adequate coaching he can be serviceable. I also believe the staff his still seeking out the a fit transfer QB. It is not the Sanders kid, if it was, he would be here right now.

I hope that's it.  I'll support TJ as long as he's on our team.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Freak said:

TJ can throw a pretty pass.  With a better OL next year (fingers crossed), he could be more productive.

2 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I hope that's it.  I'll support TJ as long as he's on our team.

i am the same. i would love to see tj make it and trade that scooter in on a harley.............

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

It's been said that Finley is looking to stay at Auburn this semester so he can graduate and then transfer out to play with his brother.  To keep his scholarship he returned to workouts.  I would expect him to transfer after spring ball.  I am happy to see he has an emphasis on graduating.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It's been said that Finley is looking to stay at Auburn this semester so he can graduate and then transfer out to play with his brother.  To keep his scholarship he returned to workouts.  I would expect him to transfer after spring ball.  I am happy to see he has an emphasis on graduating.

He'd have to be a grad-transfer if he didn't want to sit out a season at another P5 program, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What was it? Seriously asking... Heard it wasn't injury related. IMO, it needs to be a team decision if he is let back on the team . Don't matter to me one way or the other. I wasn't the one playing hurt cause, I didn't have a backup. The team knows the reason, so IMO they should decide.

I'll be honest I haven't talked to any of my guys lately that keep me in the know, but what I do know is there is no way, no way on earth if stuff actually had gone the way people said it has, or he did the things they said he did would he be on the team.

Actually I'll even go as far to say if that stuff was completely true he wouldn't even want to be on this team. Just like a coach there's only a few things people can do to really lose a team but if it's lost. It's lost. 

I would guess he may have done some stuff, but it's not the way it's been reported on here. 

• Like 2