Musical Memory Lane. . .

Guest FEARLESSANDTRUE

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest FEARLESSANDTRUE

The Dee Snider comment already had me  :'( then the lullaby really brought the tears. And one of my uncrustable PBJ's was hard on one side.  It's not going to be a good day.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

The Dee Snider comment already had me  :'( then the lullaby really brought the tears. And one of my uncrustable PBJ's was hard on one side.  It's not going to be a good day.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I hope belle is ok with this.

OK I offer this for several reasons :rolleyes:

A. It's my mea culpa :-\

B. It's unmitigated proof that Taylor Hicks has no concept of what the word soul means.

C. It's Sunday morning and well, I felt like hearing a little Right Reverend :hellyeah:

D. It's so classic it makes other classics ashamed.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/al-green-tired-of-being-alone-soulschool/8c280f3f3df0632211f08c280f3f3df0632211f0-426227663087?q=Al+Green+youtube&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR8

:o WWWWWWWWWWWWwWow, 62. :'( My ears are all atwitter, Robert Johnson, "Crossroads"? I'm impressed beyond measure. That is a musical genre that is the influence of almost all popular music today. Not enough people appreciate it for what it is. One of the very few uniquely American music forms. Outstanding. :bow:

Ahhh....Robert Johnson. He is a Southern cultural treasure that most people know little to nothing about. Like a lot of great artists he was dead for many years before anyone appreciated his true brilliance.

My favorite Robert Johnson songs.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86UwtWmmkzo&feature=related

OK I offer this for several reasons :rolleyes:

A. It's my mea culpa :-\

B. It's unmitigated proof that Taylor Hicks has no concept of what the word soul means.

C. It's Sunday morning and well, I felt like hearing a little Right Reverend :hellyeah:

D. It's so classic it makes other classics ashamed.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/al-green-tired-of-being-alone-soulschool/8c280f3f3df0632211f08c280f3f3df0632211f0-426227663087?q=Al+Green+youtube&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR8

Back at cha: http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/otis-redding-try-a-little-tenderness/164c54a83b8b88b8cf39164c54a83b8b88b8cf39-543003836482?q=little+tenderness&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR

Don't ever give me that weaker sex crap. They have caused men go to war and inspired us to do stuff like this. Gotta love em.

:o WWWWWWWWWWWWwWow, 62. :'( My ears are all atwitter, Robert Johnson, "Crossroads"? I'm impressed beyond measure. That is a musical genre that is the influence of almost all popular music today. Not enough people appreciate it for what it is. One of the very few uniquely American music forms. Outstanding. :bow:

Just another reason I am a huge movie buff. They can introduce you to music you might not ever have the opportunity to hear. Speaking of which, just watched "Life as we Know it" It doesn't get much vedder.

Ahhh....Robert Johnson. He is a Southern cultural treasure that most people know little to nothing about. Like a lot of great artists he was dead for many years before anyone appreciated his true brilliance.

My favorite Robert Johnson songs.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86UwtWmmkzo&feature=related

Very solid, that's why these amateurs probably covered it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osdx8nkXvak

Just another reason I am a huge movie buff. They can introduce you to music you might not ever have the opportunity to hear. Speaking of which, just watched "Life as we Know it" It doesn't get much vedder.

From the movie "Friday Night Lights"

Robert Johnson is an interesting study for so many reasons.

His entire works are contained within two cds, and in reality, only one, because most of the songs on there are different versions, first takes, and whatnot.

He wasn't very well known, if at all, during his time. His recordings were made during a period of time when record execs were combing every small town throughout the south for anyone with a little talent and a guitar. They had a new market and genre that was selling like no other.

Robert Johnson, during the time of his recordings, was an unknown who was just trying to come up. It wasn't until the blues revival that came decades after his death that he achieved any fame at all. The white audience "discovered" him, and his fame/reputation took off from there.

The sheer volume of recordings put out during the late 20's early 30's is staggering. Its no wonder Johnson's brilliance went unheralded for so long.

If you ever want an interesting read, dig up Dylan's "Chronicles, Vol. 1" and read what he had to say when given, by Hammond maybe(?), the previously-unreleased recordings of Robert Johnson. It will give you an even greater respect for the man (Johnson).

The most ironic thing about Robert Johnson is that it was British musicians like Eric Clapton who really made Americans aware of him.

The grass is always greener.

I'm occasionally reading a book called "Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Delta Blues". Its interesting, but its a tough read. Its very detailed, and at times needlessly scholarly. Very long too. I read on it a while, and then go to something else.

It details the history of the Delta Blues better than anything else I've read. It traces the roots, founding artists, prominent recording artists, popular songs, and all before it even gets to the life of Johnson. Its a good read, but time consuming.

The most ironic thing about Robert Johnson is that it was British musicians like Eric Clapton who really made Americans aware of him.

Without fail, there is a greater appreciation for American roots music in Europe than there is the US. Non-English countries as well. Germany is one of the favorite and most well attended concert stops for country /Americana/ folk tours. Scandinavian countries as well.

WE4E, what the heck are you doing up this time of the day? Whatever you do, stay out of the sun.

Now if you could just teach him to stay out of the rain, too. ;D

Why in the world would I want to do that?  :laugh:

62, I was up before 6am yesterday. (Que the joke by TT here).  ;)

WE4E, what the heck are you doing up this time of the day? Whatever you do, stay out of the sun.

Why in the world would I want to do that?   :laugh:

62, I was up before 6am yesterday. (Que the joke by TT here).   ;)

You were relatively safe it was very cloudy.

Why in the world would I want to do that?   :laugh:

62, I was up before 6am yesterday. (Que the joke by TT here).   ;)

You were relatively safe it was very cloudy.

I'm somewhat dissapointed.

You could have done much better with what I gave you there.

Archived