Faked Injuries by SC

bae67

Saturday night I browsed through articles and forums to see if anyone had mentioned the two SC injuries during Auburn's game winning TD drive. Nothing. I had suspected that they were faked, so Saturday night I reviewed the video of the game. That left no doubt whatsoever. I encourage everyone that recorded the game to check it out. Here's what happened on our last drive: We faced 3rd and 8 and snapped the ball with 4:19 left in the game. Dyer caught a 1st down pass to SC 37 yard line. After Dyer was down Kelcy Quarles (#99), who was following the play, hopped over him and rolled on the ground and didn't get up. Injury time out for several minutes (commercial time on TV). When we faced our next 3rd down (and 9), ball was snapped at 2:56. McCalleb ran for 19 yds deep into SC territory. As the play ended Byron McNight (#92) turned and walked away from where play had ended. He appeared to glance quickly to the SC sideline and immediately fell to the ground. He reminded me of a punter who collapses trying to get a gift roughing-the-kicker call. It was just ridiculous. Another injury time out for several minutes (commercial time on TV). Both times the SC trainers and coaches came out and went through the motions of checking out the injuries. Auburn had been running plays at a fast tempo and I am definitely of the opinion that the SC coaches instructed their players to go down if Auburn was able to convert on 3rd down, which we did both times.

I know faked injuries have been in the news lately in college and the pros. NFL recently sent a memo to all teams warning of fines, suspensions and possible loss of draft picks if they are caught faking injuries. Some folks say it's been a part of the game for a long time and is nothing new. This is true but it's still unethical. What bothers me is that, as far as I know, nothing has even been said about it. At a minimum sports writers should ask Spurrier if the SC coaches had instructed players to fake injuries to slow down Auburn. it should be publicized and he should have to answer questions about it (of course he'll deny the injuries were faked but he'd be on record). If SC got away with it so easily what's to keep Bob Petrino (this Sat) or any other coaches from planning the same thing, especially after seeing how easily SC got away with it?

very thoughtful first post, Welcome to AE and post often.

I was thinking the same thing during the game, during the post show, they discussed this injury faking by SC in-depth. and yes I think they were faking injuries to get not so assed out players on the field, as they were all tired by then.  Can't remember which of the Auburn broadcasters called SC out on it, but it was not missed by our broadcasting team.

Well, the rule book has always been 50 years behind the game. I would love nothing more than to see the NCAA make a rule change on injuries on the field.

If you are injured during a series, you must sit that entire series. Sure it won't stop it, but it would make coaches have to sub players they dont mind sitting an entire series. Then O's could exploit those players.

Guest Montressor

I saw some Cock fans alluding to it on their board.  Sounded like they've done it before.  Didn't help them any in the end.  Kinda pathetic they are resorting to that.  But they are desperate. 

It was so obvious even the slow announcers caught it.  College football needs a rule for this.  I am not sure how you would go about it, or even if you could but it is hurting the game.

No doubt that is what the SC players did on that TD drive. It has become very common, the ducks accused many folks of doing the same thing thing last year. I don't know how you would police this, if a player is hurt and down, it looks the same as a player faking an injury :dunno:

Someone can check the tape but I thought I saw #99 return to the game in very short order.  There should likely be a rule limiting how soon a player can return to play after a time out injury.  Of course, the coach could have a player on the last play of his "rotation" fake an injury since he is "scheduled " to cycle out for the next series of plays.

Like I said in another post, and I've heard a lot of former NFL players say the same thing over the past week, it's gamesmanship, my biggest problem is when it is executed as poorly as it was by the first player last week and as it was by the New York Giants but to be honest when done right it's nothing more than gamesmanship and it's been happening more than likely since the beginning of football. In my opinion if you're gonna do it do it right, and when it is executed as lazily as it was by the first player in our game or as it was by the NY Giants it should be punished.

Well, the rule book has always been 50 years behind the game. I would love nothing more than to see the NCAA make a rule change on injuries on the field.

If you are injured during a series, you must sit that entire series. Sure it won't stop it, but it would make coaches have to sub players they dont mind sitting an entire series. Then O's could exploit those players.

I don't think sitting out just a series would be much of a deterrent as it would likely be towards the end of a series when they got gassed and faked an injury to get a timeout.  Maybe if you made them sit out the next two quarters if they call an injury timeout like they do with some personal files it would have enough teeth, where it can carry over to the next game as well?  The problem is you could end up punishing kids who actually were injured, but if it is a big enough problem what are you going to do? 

Faking an injuries is like calling an illegal timeout and I believe you do get penalized for that... what is that penalty anyhow?

Yeah.  Broadcast team were right on top of it after the game.  Quentin Riggins and the guys.

Yep, Rod and Stan peeped it out immediately...

I remember last year during the LSU game one of their coaches running onto the field yelling at a player to go down and giving him the "go down" signal with his hands. it was absolutely ridiculous. I dont see where sitting them a quarter is punishing the player. if they are truly injured it limits the chance of them being injured worse, even if they were just winded. I thought they were already supposed to flag them for delay of game or something. seems like this has been discussed & addressed officially before.

. I don't know how you would police this, if a player is hurt and down, it looks the same as a player faking an injury

and here in lies the problem.  No one,  not the universities, coaches,  SEC, NCAA, parents, fans, me, you.... NOBODY is willing to roll the dice on a player's injury being serious, monor or fake.

When a college player goes down, you have to assume the "realistic" worst.  He twisted his leg alittle bit,  but that could be anything from shredded ligaments to itching the skin from his pants.  In modern times, the risk of being sued is there if you do not assume the worst,  and prove otherwise. 

Coaches would be tempted to play players who got borderline serious injuries, ratrher than bring them in and checking them out.  Players would too.

So you could really only flag the players who seemed to be faking... and within the final 2 minutes of each half. becasue that is when the fake rest iismost detrimental to the outcome of the game.  Now we are getting into the refs controling the outcome of games.  We are talking about giving the refs more power to make judgement calls.  The line is so fine.... fake, real, minor ,exagerated?

To an extent I agree with a poster who earlier stated, that a coach running on the field screaming and motioning for a player to get down and play hurt dog, a flag and 15 yard "personal foul" would not be questioned and if it did it would be by the penalized team. So what? The offending dog barks the loudest.

When the acting is well coached and well planned, it's a much harder call to make.

To an extent I agree with a poster who earlier stated, that a coach running on the field screaming and motioning for a player to get down and play hurt dog, a flag and 15 yard "personal foul" would not be questioned and if it did it would be by the penalized team. So what? The offending dog barks the loudest.

When the acting is well coached and well planned, it's a much harder call to make.

Loss of a time out.  IF they have none, than either loss of 5-10 seconds on the clock, or delay of game penalty.  

. I don't know how you would police this, if a player is hurt and down, it looks the same as a player faking an injury

and here in lies the problem.  No one,  not the universities, coaches,  SEC, NCAA, parents, fans, me, you.... NOBODY is willing to roll the dice on a player's injury being serious, monor or fake.

When a college player goes down, you have to assume the "realistic" worst.  He twisted his leg alittle bit,  but that could be anything from shredded ligaments to itching the skin from his pants.  In modern times, the risk of being sued is there if you do not assume the worst,  and prove otherwise. 

Coaches would be tempted to play players who got borderline serious injuries, ratrher than bring them in and checking them out.  Players would too.

So you could really only flag the players who seemed to be faking... and within the final 2 minutes of each half. becasue that is when the fake rest iismost detrimental to the outcome of the game.   Now we are getting into the refs controling the outcome of games.  We are talking about giving the refs more power to make judgement calls.  The line is so fine.... fake, real, minor ,exagerated?

That is why I suggest that a player sit for the entire series. What injury can be assessed in the 30 seconds that it takes to run a play. If they are serious about the health of these kids, then take the time to let them sit and be evaluated.

That would take it out of the hands of the refs.

Have the "injured" player stay out of the game until the ball turns over. This would slow down the faking, and protect any injured player.

Not a bad suggestion as posed by you and jody. Best I've seen so far, although I do believe an obvious fake needs to be addressed. :dunno:

This brings to mind the time-honored concept of sending in a "ringer" to illegally take out an opponent's star - a brawler whose sole purpose is to disable an opponent even though the ringer will get ejected from the game for dirty play. 

So you could really only flag the players who seemed to be faking... and within the final 2 minutes of each half. becasue that is when the fake rest iismost detrimental to the outcome of the game.   Now we are getting into the refs controling the outcome of games.  We are talking about giving the refs more power to make judgement calls.  The line is so fine.... fake, real, minor ,exagerated?

That is why I suggest that a player sit for the entire series. What injury can be assessed in the 30 seconds that it takes to run a play. If they are serious about the health of these kids, then take the time to let them sit and be evaluated.

That would take it out of the hands of the refs.

Not disagreeing,   Just worried about the QB getting an honest but simple injury and being held out for a series, when his injury was honestly minor.  That can change a game and punish an honest noninjury faking  team for no reason.    somehow just the fakers (team) need to be punished.   I just do not know how you could do that.

This brings to mind the time-honored concept of sending in a "ringer" to illegally take out an opponent's star - a brawler whose sole purpose is to disable an opponent even though the ringer will get ejected from the game for dirty play. 

If the ringer is assigned to fake his own injury and lose playing time,  but...

on the Other side of the coin....How much incentive does  team B have to try and hurt the best players on team A.   Get a good helmet  in their shin, or run your cleat across their ankle and they are out until the ball turns over.  they could target Trotter  and Dyer at the beginning of the last series of the game, when team B needs the ball back.  No permanent injury,  just bad enough they need an injury time out. Trotter and Dyer would have to sit for the rest of the series based on the "faker rule".

Archived