Updated 12/15- Recruiting update and Numbers breakdown

Guest jthaub

jtraub, I see you still have Williams in green. Do you think AU can hold off UF if the Gators don't get Bullard and make a big push for Williams considering the Gators were his favorite team as a child?

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who are the options for the 3rd LB. Davis is pretty much out of the picture so who else should we list.

Is Kallon really that good that we're exerting so much effort on his recruitment? He's a pure project, correct?

Thank you jthaub.  Are Aubrey Phillips and Ed Christian definitely going to be medical hardships?

Yes they will receive medical hardship scholarships

jtraub, I see you still have Williams in green. Do you think AU can hold off UF if the Gators don't get Bullard and make a big push for Williams considering the Gators were his favorite team as a child?

I believe we can. I think he felt to much of a comfort and at home feeling to choose Florida right now. Yes, that could change depending on whether Florida gets Bullard or not, but Auburn is still in good shape with Williams.

Who are the options for the 3rd LB. Davis is pretty much out of the picture so who else should we list.

Is Kallon really that good that we're exerting so much effort on his recruitment? He's a pure project, correct?

Like 4vis said, Kwon is the 3rd LB, and we continue to increase our standing with him.

On Kallon, he has barely played any football, and already is a very good DE prospect. We have enough depth at DE and DT for him to RS and learn technique better in a year.

At DE we have Lemonier, Eguae, Sanders, Ford, Owens, Delaine, Bonomolo, Harrell, and President. Granted some of those may not contribute much, we have plenty of depth for him to redshirt.

We would rather have Channing Ward, but Kallon is a VERY good "Plan B"

Fantastic list as always. This is the best run down of Auburn recruiting I know of anywhere.

Numbers seem to be getting tight. IMO a school needs 3-4 top 5ish classes to have the base for a championship team. Then each year they need a couple of real difference makers. By the time our 2010 class are seniors (2014) the entire roster will consist of guys from top 5ish classes.

So, who are the difference maker?

This year I would say TJ Yeldon and Jaquay Williams (Committed)

Big additions would be

Eddie Goldman

Jameis Winston

Deon Bush

Dorial Bekham-Green

Of the four non committed the chances are fairly slim with most. We can certainly win a NC without those extra guys but WOW if we could a couple of them...

Thanks JTHAUB

One more thing - It's all relative.

Pretty much any of the names on the list would still give us an outstanding class. We may miss on a couple of our top targets with some units, but will get all of our top targets with other units.

Either way this class will add super quality to the roster.

To me, you've got to fill needs in addition to having a "top 5" class. I look at who we really got rocked by this year, and it was teams who's OL and DL (and LBs) just destroyed us. I know how young we are, but I still feel like we really NEED to sign 2-3 top OL, another top DT, another top DE, and really two top LBs. By "top" I mean in or near the top ten at their position. That's just my armchair opinion, but it's how I see things and it seems to be backed up by looking at the players that beat us. I suppose we really need another very good QB, too, to push Kiehl. I don't think Pike will be ready to do that in his first year. As long as I'm being greedy, I'd like a sure handed, great route running, strong blocking possession WR, too.

Having said all of that, here's to hoping to a strong finish. It looks like we have the potential to finish with both a top 5 class AND a class that meets our most pressing needs.

To me, you've got to fill needs in addition to having a "top 5" class. I look at who we really got rocked by this year, and it was teams who's OL and DL (and LBs) just destroyed us. I know how young we are, but I still feel like we really NEED to sign 2-3 top OL, another top DT, another top DE, and really two top LBs. By "top" I mean in or near the top ten at their position. That's just my armchair opinion, but it's how I see things and it seems to be backed up by looking at the players that beat us. I suppose we really need another very good QB, too, to push Kiehl. I don't think Pike will be ready to do that in his first year. As long as I'm being greedy, I'd like a sure handed, great route running, strong blocking possession WR, too.

Having said all of that, here's to hoping to a strong finish. It looks like we have the potential to finish with both a top 5 class AND a class that meets our most pressing needs.

I second this, but it's extremely hard go out and get the guys you want. An armchair opinion of mine is that we are still recruiting players that are too small. I digress, they will be introduced to a college weight program. Linebackers and safeties need to at least match the size of the ball carriers they are trying to tackle.

I think everyone already knows this but Keith Marshall, RB from NC does not really need to be on our active list anymore. AU is finished with RB's this year with TJY and Robinson. KM will be going to another school, maybe a UGA, ND, or Clemson. He has a huge list. He is a super fast guy and very talented, but I am so happy with TJY, and Robinson. They are bigger backs, and as many in AL have seen in person, TJY looks not just good but special.

I second this, but it's extremely hard go out and get the guys you want. An armchair opinion of mine is that we are still recruiting players that are too small. I digress, they will be introduced to a college weight program. Linebackers and safeties need to at least match the size of the ball carriers they are trying to tackle.

Derrick Brooks Prototypical Tampa 2 LB size 6-0   235

Eltoro Freeman our best LB      SR                 5-11  228

Darren Bates                         JR                 5-11  205

Jake Holland                          SO                6-1    235

Justin Garrett                        FR                6-1    205

Daniel Pond                           FR                6-1    215

Chris Landrum                       FR                 6-3   235

Jonathan Evans                     JR                 6-3   235

Jawara White                        RFR               6-2   230

Anthony Swain                      FR                6-2   205

Harris Gaston                       SO                6-2    236

Clay Finkelstein                     FR                6-1   180

Jacob Westrich                     RFR              6-1    218

Ashton Richardson                SR                6-1    201

All the above stats taken from the game day program for Old Miss...

Kris Frost                             FR               6-3    210  taken from rivals....

Ok I was curious about the size statement so I did some research.  All of the underclassmen LB are between 6-1 and 6-3.  Perhaps allowing for some growth in weight due to gaining muscel mass they will grow into the roll.

Thank you jthaub.  Are Aubrey Phillips and Ed Christian definitely going to be medical hardships?

Yes they will receive medical hardship scholarships

Do you mean Medical Redshirts or Are Phillips and Christian totally done with football?

Having said all of that, here's to hoping to a strong finish. It looks like we have the potential to finish with both a top

5 class AND a class that meets our most pressing needs.

Kris Frost                             FR               6-3    210  taken from rivals....

Ok I was curious about the size statement so I did some research.  All of the underclassmen LB are between 6-1 and

6-3.  Perhaps allowing for some growth in weight due to gaining muscel mass they will grow into the roll.

I know they will put on weight with time, but the RBs, TEs, and WRs in today's college football world are getting bigger. We need to do the same on our D. Look at Lacey, Richardson, Fowler, Lattimore, N Davis, and others around the conference. Our guys have to be big enough to fight off blocks and then be able to tackle the bruisers of today's game.

Having said all of that, here's to hoping to a strong finish. It looks like we have the potential to finish with both a top

Ok I was curious about the size statement so I did some research.  All of the underclassmen LB are between 6-1 and

6-3.  Perhaps allowing for some growth in weight due to gaining muscel mass they will grow into the roll.

I know they will put on weight with time, but the RBs, TEs, and WRs in today's college football world are getting bigger. We need to do the same on our D. Look at Lacey, Richardson, Fowler, Lattimore, N Davis, and others around the conference. Our guys have to be big enough to fight off blocks and then be able to tackle the bruisers of today's game.

I anticipated this statement and I took a look at the Alabama LB's that were Fr/SO and the size of our scholarship Fr/So LB's is very compareable in size.  Just give our kids more time in the weight room and ours will be comparable to anyones...

How big do you want them to be?  Other than the freshmen, who will gain weight, everyone seems to be right around the weight you should want for a 4-3 D.  We just need DT's that will take double teams and keep Guards off the linebackers.

How big do you want them to be?  Other than the freshmen, who will gain weight, everyone seems to be right around the weight you should want for a 4-3 D.  We just need DT's that will take double teams and keep Guards off the linebackers.

I agree. So many people want our linebackers the size of Alabama's 3-4, but we run a 4-3. Our linebackers sizes are comparable with everyone in the SEC that's run a 4-3. Our freshmen have to grow into their bodies, and are not going to arrive with physiques like  Juniors or Seniors. Everytime size is mentioned, people bring up Daren Bates, as if all our linebackers are that size.

Well people all the time say that the SEC is the closest thing to the NFL. So, I looked up the starting defenses of two Tampa 2 defenses in the NFL. Shouldn't we try to emulate this. I'm not saying that I expect freshman and sophomores to be this large, but it doesn't even seem like we recruit to bring in kids that grow to this size.

Bucs.                Bears

WLB.      6-1 226.            6-1 244

MLB.        6-2 242.            6-4 258

SLB.        6-2 240.            6-1 234

FS.          6-0 200.            5-11 204

SS.          6-1 220.            6-1 210

Well people all the time say that the SEC is the closest thing to the NFL. So, I looked up the starting defenses of two Tampa 2 defenses in the NFL. Shouldn't we try to emulate this. I'm not saying that I expect freshman and sophomores to be this large, but it doesn't even seem like we recruit to bring in kids that grow to this size.

Bucs. Bears

WLB. 6-1 226. 6-1 244

MLB. 6-2 242. 6-4 258

SLB. 6-2 240. 6-1 234

FS. 6-0 200. 5-11 204

SS. 6-1 220. 6-1 210

Throw out bates and evans who are the smallest of our lbers and all the others fit that size or will by their sophomore year

Holland 6'1 235

White 6'2 230

Landrum 6'3 235

Swain 6'2 230

Frost 6'2 215

Garrett 6'2 200

Recruit Mckinzy 6'3 224

Recruit Mitchell 6'2 205

Safeties are similar

Florence 6'1 187

McNeal 6'2 193

Smith 6'2 208

Bucs.                 Bears

WLB.       6-1 226.             6-1 244

MLB.        6-2 242.             6-4 258

SLB.        6-2 240.             6-1 234

FS.          6-0 200.             5-11 204

Those are pros. They are gong to be bigger.

Bucs.                 Bears

WLB.       6-1 226.             6-1 244

MLB.        6-2 242.             6-4 258

SLB.        6-2 240.             6-1 234

FS.          6-0 200.             5-11 204

Throw out bates and evans who are the smallest of our lbers and all the others fit that size or will by their sophomore year

Holland 6'1 235

White 6'2 230

Landrum 6'3 235

Swain 6'2 230

Frost 6'2 215

Garrett 6'2 200

Recruit Mckinzy 6'3 224

Recruit Mitchell 6'2 205

Safeties are similar

Florence 6'1 187

McNeal 6'2 193

Smith 6'2 208

Swain is 205. That leaves three at over 230.

Archived