Updated 12/15- Recruiting update and Numbers breakdown

Guest jthaub

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going into this recruiting season, I was hoping we would shore up our LB, OL, and DL positions. It looks like we're struggling at OL and DL so far. I suppose that I'm not shedding any light on anything with that statement, but as this is a recruiting board and all, I just thought I would mention that I am still a little worried with our OL and DL recruiting, although the possibility to finish strong is still there. Any insights on our plans at OL and DL, other than the excellent information that you have already provided?

Well I am surprised jtaub has not mentioned Arik Armstead at all since he is looking to visit for the Iron Bowl.

i've read where armstead wants to play defense. he could be a great dt for us.

Agreed. I was surprised when I read one of the best tackles in the nation would rather play defense but after watching
it's clear he dominates on both sides of the ball. The phrase Big Power comes to mind when watching him.

Going into this recruiting season, I was hoping we would shore up our LB, OL, and DL positions. It looks like we're struggling at OL and DL so far. I suppose that I'm not shedding any light on anything with that statement, but as this is a recruiting board and all, I just thought I would mention that I am still a little worried with our OL and DL recruiting, although the possibility to finish strong is still there. Any insights on our plans at OL and DL, other than the excellent information that you have already provided?

Well I am surprised jtaub has not mentioned Arik Armstead at all since he is looking to visit for the Iron Bowl.

i've read where armstead wants to play defense. he could be a great dt for us.

Agreed. I was surprised when I read one of the best tackles in the nation would rather play defense but after watching
it's clear he dominates on both sides of the ball. The phrase Big Power comes to mind when watching him.

i think with the linemen we have signed over the past 2 years will be great for us recruiting him. he can come in and focus on playing d and if we have to move him, oh well. as long as we get him on our team

The turds are actually ENCOURAGING some of these top tier recruits to take officials or unofficials to the IB!!!  Their strategy this year, as opposed to past years, is that they will beat us so soundly, it will offset any benefits we have regarding home atmosphere, etc,.  In other words, they our using OUR venue for their own benefit.  Last year, there were a handful of head-to-head top tier prospects;  this year, there are several (most of which will be at the IB), and Saban looks at this as a must-win, pull out all the stops, recruiting war.  He believes the game itself is a done deal (he IS that arrogant), and an all out recruiting victory will put us away for a long time.  If you think it got ugly last year with CK, BC, and Dee Hart, this year could be a lot worse.  And BTW, I did not preface this with an IMO for a reason. ;) ;)

The turds are actually ENCOURAGING some of these top tier recruits to take officials or unofficials to the IB!!!  Their strategy this year, as opposed to past years, is that they will beat us so soundly, it will offset any benefits we have regarding home atmosphere, etc,.  In other words, they our using OUR venue for their own benefit.  Last year, there were a handful of head-to-head top tier prospects;  this year, there are several (most of which will be at the IB), and Saban looks at this as a must-win, pull out all the stops, recruiting war.  He believes the game itself is a done deal (he IS that arrogant), and an all out recruiting victory will put us away for a long time.  If you think it got ugly last year with CK, BC, and Dee Hart, this year could be a lot worse.  And BTW, I did not preface this with an IMO for a reason. ;) ;)

As I have said before it's almost impossible to put either team away for a long time. Each school feeds off the success of each other by trying to one up the other school. It brings out the best...and sometimes the worst in both schools. If that is Bama's recruiting strategy for the iron bowl I don't view it as arrogant. I see it as confidence even though it is a calculated risk. Bama has to play well against us for 2 reasons: the head-to-head recruiting battles we are in and to impress the BCS voters.

To the question of Arik Armstead. Yes, he is looking to visit for the Iron Bowl, however, theres is little to no chance of him signing with Auburn. I know, I know... "ya never know with someone visiting Auburn, and don't count out this coaching staff." But he is not on my list for a reason. A lot would have to happen for him to end up here, I mean A LOT.

To the question of Arik Armstead. Yes, he is looking to visit for the Iron Bowl, however, theres is little to no chance of him signing with Auburn. I know, I know... "ya never know with someone visiting Auburn, and don't count out this coaching staff." But he is not on my list for a reason. A lot would have to happen for him to end up here, I mean A LOT.

so who is his favorite? usc still?

If bama is really encouraging recruits to go to the Iron Bowl, they are complete morons.

I don't follow recruiting as closely as most on this board, but the one thing I've noticed when recruits visit is that they don't care much about who wins the game.  It's all about the atmosphere of the HOME school and how much they enjoy being part of the gameday experience on that campus.

On a side note -- if any recruits show up wearing bama gear, kindly point them to the exit.

USC has fallen way down, but not off his board, with the way the handled his brother's medical issues. That is why he de-committed. Right now Notre Dame, Cal, and Alabama seem to be the three standing out. Others still in it include Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon, and Washington.

If bama is really encouraging recruits to go to the Iron Bowl, they are complete morons.

I don't follow recruiting as closely as most on this board, but the one thing I've noticed when recruits visit is that they don't care much about who wins the game.  It's all about the atmosphere of the HOME school and how much they enjoy being part of the gameday experience on that campus.

On a side note -- if any recruits show up wearing bama gear, kindly point them to the exit.

I tend to agree with this... Vs uga last year a recruit (can't remember which one.. Pretty sure it was an OL recruit) showed up in uga gear talking trash and apparently got into it with some fans. He then proceeded to go blab about how mean AU fans were and of course some reporter ran with it.

If that's the case then we should promptly dis-invite any current uat commits or strong leans. I don't put anything past that little worm, whether it be sending kids to an AU O.V. to recruit for the turds, or sending a kid to a big AU O.V. day with the instruction to just cause trouble and make the trip miserable for everyone.

We'll be fine on the OL.  There are a lot of good OL prospects this year, and CJG's connections out west are working in our favor.

So, you think we should be worried about the DL, then.

:rolleyes::tease:

USC has fallen way down, but not off his board, with the way the handled his brother's medical issues. That is why he de-committed. Right now Notre Dame, Cal, and Alabama seem to be the three standing out. Others still in it include Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon, and Washington.

Well, since he may take an OV for the Iron Bowl shouldn't he at least be on your list in red letters?

We'll be fine on the OL.  There are a lot of good OL prospects this year, and CJG's connections out west are working in our favor.

I see our name associated with a lot of good looking prospects, but it seems like we're second choice on almost all of them. I would feel better if we could move into first on several of them, or if we had closed the deal on a couple of the recruits who were at the top of the board for us earlier in the season. Given last years success, if we bring in just a couple of "can't miss", top ten OL, I think the landscape of our OL completely changes.

So, you think we should be worried about the DL, then.

:rolleyes::tease:

:devil:

:tease:

Well, since he may take an OV for the Iron Bowl shouldn't he at least be on your list in red letters?

I'll include him for now. Update coming later today. One of my people, who I haven't talked to in a few days, is in Nashville for the day (No, this is not a coach). So, once I talk to them, update will come.

jt - thanks for the update. great work. I played with the signing classes and added up (Very roughly) the number of prospects we've signed who were considered top 25 at their position.

2007 - 12

2008 - 6

2009 - 10

2010 - 18

2011 - 17

2012 - 18ish

My hope for the big finish:

Stefon Diggs

Garnet, Young, Boehm

Leonard Williams

Noor Davis

Mitchell, Alexander

Deon Bush

Devon Bell

Surprise recruit - Eddie Goldman

Number may be off, just a knuckle head's list.

We'd have 3 straight classes of 15-20 top 25 guys on campus by next year. In addition we add studs after sitting out a year like Mike Blakely and Corey Grant.

I like how we'll look the next few years.

War Eagle

jt - thanks for the update. great work. I played with the signing classes and added up (Very roughly) the number of prospects we've signed who were considered top 25 at their position.

2007 - 12

2008 - 6

2009 - 10

2010 - 18

2011 - 17

2012 - 18ish

Stefon Diggs

Garnet, Young, Boehm

Leonard Williams

Noor Davis

Mitchell, Alexander

Deon Bush

Devon Bell

We'd have 3 straight classes of 15-20 top 25 guys on campus by next year. In addition we add studs after sitting out a year like Mike Blakely and Corey Grant.

War Eagle

You are one over nut I like your thinking.

2007 - 12

2008 - 6

2009 - 10

2010 - 18

2011 - 17

2012 - 18ish

Stefon Diggs

Garnet, Young, Boehm

Leonard Williams

Noor Davis

Mitchell, Alexander

Deon Bush

Devon Bell

War Eagle

You are one over nut I like your thinking.

Just because he's one over, don't call him a nut!!  Man, the name calling on this site has gotten out of hand!!   :tease: :tease: Seriously, I'd take that class and run for the hills;  it would meet or exceed every need, except possibly for DL (not so if Goldman were to come in).  Also, there MAY be some qualification issues with at least one of our commits, maybe two, and with our base of prospects, you could see some attrition before NSD.  

Don't think it was mentioned here yet, but last week Grimes visited OL Andrew Jelks for an in person evaluation. We did not extend an offer to Jelks, and not but a few days later, he committed to Vandy. I think he was holding off on making a decision to wait on other offers, but after we told him we would wait on offering him, he decided to make a decision. This could possibly mean that Grimes feels we are in better shape with some guys higher on our board. Jelks had offers from Alabama, Tennessee, and Stanford, among others.

Archived