2013 Recruiting Board (Updated 2/19/13)

WarEagleAU

I personally am going to think any predictions are extremely hard to make until at least a week or so after the dead period. Without having position coaches in place and without knowing how the new position coaches are going to be thought of amongst the recruits, predictions are a crapshoot.

So many moving variables to predict in the long term

Just my thoughts

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally am going to think any predictions are bogus until at least a week or so after the dead period. Without having position coaches in place and without knowing how the new position coaches are going to be thought of amongst the recruits, predictions are a crapshoot.

Too many moving variables to predict in the long term unless you are going to make the declaration "where they would sign if today was NSD" in which I don't believe some of those predictions are accurate

Just my thoughts

I think bogus is to harsh of a thought, especially considering all the hard work WEAU has put into his summaries. Predictions are just his opinions. No need to piss on them. You probably have thoughts as to where you think recruits end up. You have relationships with players on the team. So while your predictions are your opinions they are not bogus and should be at least noted. Give WEAU the same respect. He is just trying to keep things updated the best he can in a concise way.

Several of these predictions don't make sense (Foster is only one example) unless the players have recently made it CLEAR they are VERY interested in Auburn to the point it is highly likely they sign with Auburn. Maybe I missed something, but don't know.

What does not makes sense to you besides Foster? On Foster several Auburn insiders feel like Foster will sign with Auburn. Also as I posted in the Foster thread, the coaches feel good that they will get Foster back after a couple great meetings they had with him last weekend.

I am NOT saying we don't get them back. I am just saying that from what I have heard and read that I would be in the cautiously optimistic camp more than the camp making some of these predictions. We just had a TE decommit and Gus has certainly shown he utilizes TEs well. I hope these predictions are spot on.

War Eagle !

There is nothing to imply that his predictions are strong or cautiously optimistic. WEAU is just sticking to his format of giving a summary of each prospect and giving his predictions where they land. Understanding how things have played out this season predictions anyone makes should be implied and viewed as cautiously optimistic.

I just made a comment and voiced my opinion. I am not throwing a jab at the OP at all or you and appreciate anyone and everyone on here that digs for information and shares it and/or their opinions.They way I see it is even if I strongly disagree with a comment of opinion I try to respond the same way I would face to face if I am takling with an Auburn grad, student or fan. Again, I hope the predictions are spot on.

War Eagle !

I think bogus is to harsh of a thought, especially considering all the hard work WEAU has put into his summaries. Predictions are just his opinions. No need to piss on them. You probably have thoughts as to where you think recruits end up. You have relationships with players on the team. So while your predictions are your opinions they are not bogus and should be at least noted. Give WEAU the same respect. He is just trying to keep things updated the best he can in a concise way.

You make an excellent point and I edited my posts to reflect changes in opinion on the topic.

I guess I would make a suggestion of rating a prediction as "heavy favorite, likely or toss-up in favor of"

Several of these predictions don't make sense (Foster is only one example) unless the players have recently made it CLEAR they are VERY interested in Auburn to the point it is highly likely they sign with Auburn. Maybe I missed something, but don't know.

What does not makes sense to you besides Foster? On Foster several Auburn insiders feel like Foster will sign with Auburn. Also as I posted in the Foster thread, the coaches feel good that they will get Foster back after a couple great meetings they had with him last weekend.

I am NOT saying we don't get them back. I am just saying that from what I have heard and read that I would be in the cautiously optimistic camp more than the camp making some of these predictions. We just had a TE decommit and Gus has certainly shown he utilizes TEs well. I hope these predictions are spot on.

War Eagle !

There is nothing to imply that his predictions are strong or cautiously optimistic. WEAU is just sticking to his format of giving a summary of each prospect and giving his predictions where they land. Understanding how things have played out this season predictions anyone makes should be implied and viewed as cautiously optimistic.

I just made a comment and voiced my opinion. I am not throwing a jab at the OP at all or you and appreciate anyone and everyone on here that digs for information and shares it and/or their opinions.They way I see it is even if I strongly disagree with a comment of opinion I try to respond the same way I would face to face if I am takling with an Auburn grad, student or fan. Again, I hope the predictions are spot on.

War Eagle !

That's great. I was just letting you know that in no way where there an indication that WEAU considered his predictions strong. When you read them as cautiously optimistic as they are intended then they do make sense, contrary to what you said in your OP.

You make an excellent point and I edited my posts to reflect changes in opinion on the topic.

I guess I would make a suggestion of rating a prediction as "heavy favorite, likely or toss-up in favor of"

Valid point.

Updated (12/25/12) (Latest at 10 PM):

OG Devonte Danzey signs with Auburn.

RB Corn Elder - my prediction changed from Ohio State to Auburn.

RB Johnathan Ford - my prediction changed from Auburn to Vandy.

WR Quantavius Leslie is not our top target.

WR Kyrin Priester changed his verbal from solid to soft. New prediction: Auburn.

Added:

S Vonn Bell (Top Target)

WR Nate Andrews

WR Corey Smith

WR Vince Mayle

WR Andre Lewis

LB Neville Newitt

LB Eriquel Florence (Committed to Arizona State)

CB Korrin Wiggins

S Brandon King

S Paris Taylor

Removed:

QB Cord Sandberg

RB Rodriguez Moore

WR Jarren Johnson

CB Cordrea Tankersley

Wow, that's a bunch of wide receivers.

Eriquel Florence committed to Arizona St. today. Nice to see L get a shot to play D-1 ball. Really hope twin brother, A, sticks around Auburn and turns into the top-notch player I saw in high school.

JJ, Monty, Carl, and Reuben have been my 4 favorite recruits all year. If we land all 4 I will be beyond giddy! All 4 have been up and down at different times but I never thought we would get all 4. I still dont, but I think its possible

Eriquel Florence committed to Arizona St. today. Nice to see L get a shot to play D-1 ball. Really hope twin brother, A, sticks around Auburn and turns into the top-notch player I saw in high school.

Removed. Thanks.

Wow, that's a bunch of wide receivers.

Yep, I think they would bring two more WRs. I like our chances on Wilson and Priester.

I enjoyed Corn's highlights. He has good balance - one of the areas OMac had room for improvement.

Agreed! He is the best fit at swat back, IMO.

JJ, Monty, Carl, and Reuben have been my 4 favorite recruits all year. If we land all 4 I will be beyond giddy! All 4 have been up and down at different times but I never thought we would get all 4. I still dont, but I think its possible

I like our chances but it wont be easy,

Im real good friends with corns cousin and actually played high school ball with a lot of his family! He was supposed to be on our team but Ensworth offered him to play there and I will tell you one thing he is a athlete! I played basketball with him and he is also very impressive at basketball! I would love to see him in Orange and Blue!

Two more receivers plus Robinson? I guess you are assuming Jason Smith stays at QB?

Pretty sure Smith could play DB as well, but I wouldn't be too surprised for him to stay at QB. I don't know that Clint will stick around, because I think he's graduated already, and if he leaves then we're right back where we were last year with a junior, sophomore, and freshman at QB unless Smith plays there. Should that happen, I wouldn't be terribly surprised for JJ to be on the depth chart and learning the playbook while Smith runs the scout team.

That having been said, I still think it's likely that Jason ends up at receiver. He's just too dynamic with the ball in his hands not to have him on the field in some capacity, and I don't know that he's in the same ball park as JJ and Kiehl with regard to arm strength.

Arm strength is over rated if you cannot consistently hit wide open receivers 10 to 20 yards down field. I'll take accuracy over strength in the college game 10 times out of 10. Strength of arm can obviously be an asset but it isn't necessarily a make or break deal.

Arm strength is over rated if you cannot consistently hit wide open receivers 10 to 20 yards down field. I'll take accuracy over strength in the college game 10 times out of 10. Strength of arm can obviously be an asset but it isn't necessarily a make or break deal.

As true as this is, there is a litany of players who struggled to hit open receivers 10 to 20 yards downfield when they were 18 and 19 years old that went on to successful careers in the NFL. And while you're right that arm strength is not necessarily a make or break deal in college, it immediately gives you a leg up on the competition. It's not as if arm strength is critical only, or even primarily, because of distance throwing the ball (more on that in a bit). There's a reason Jonathan Wallace took a 6A school to the semi-finals in the state playoffs without receiving an SEC scholarship offer until Auburn at the last minute, and it's not because of a lack of athleticism. That isn't to say he can't be successful, only that he has a long way to go before he's ready to be a starter in this conference.

And for all the talk about Frazier having a long way to go, I don't agree with that assessment; he definitely has a lot of work to do, sure, but all he needs is for the light bulb to come on, because his problems are almost entirely mental (footwork is the only mechanical flaw I've seen out of him). Coaches drill QBs about putting zip on the ball, and it's easy to overthink that and start overthrowing receivers, then overcompensating and getting wild with it. Velocity of the throw is critical, particularly in this league, where a tenth of a second lag can be the difference in a completion and a pick 6.

It's not just the distance downfield that you take into consideration, it's the total difference of travel for the ball. An out route to the wide side of the field gives the ball a significantly longer flight time than the same route to the short side of the field, and if the defense knows your QB can't make that throw, it is one less thing they have to cover. Then if you try to catch them off guard, it's not too difficult for the DB to sprint up and at least knock the ball down, not when he's used to guys with elite arm strength throwing those passes. The difference in trajectory on the ball from Frazier and Moseley to Wallace was pretty noticeable, and that difference puts Jonathan in a pretty big hole to begin with, because there just isn't a whole lot he can do to improve that in one offseason. This is why I feel like, in spite of the season that has just passed, the QB job is still Kiehl's to lose.

Updated (12/27/12):

JUCO rank from Rivals updated.

Changed our OLB needs from 2 to 1.

Changed my prediction on CB MacKensie Alexander from Texas A&M to Clemson.

Added:

RB Kailo Moore

ATH Tony Conner

Two more receivers plus Robinson? I guess you are assuming Jason Smith stays at QB?

He will end up at WR but we are recruiting him as a QB cuz that is where he wants his first shot.

Updated (12/29/12):

S Antonio Conner is our new top target at safety.

S Khari Harding removed from top target.

Added:

S Dezmond Harris

S T.J. Green

Archived