Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Muschamp is a pretty good coach. We could have him for $4M a year, if we fire JJ.

I would not offer BP more than $1.5M/year.

If Petrino is our man, I doubt we would get him for $1.5M. There are several other schools very interested in Petrino now and because of this his value is going up.

So at the end of the search, your best speculation minus a dissertation...who gets the job?

Thats the 64thousand dolla question and honestly it beats me. Whoever the committee selects, I'll support

I need to start making 'house divided' license plates with Petrino on one side and another coaching prospect on the other.

So at the end of the search, your best speculation minus a dissertation...who gets the job?

I will answer my on post....Bobby Petrino.

If Auburn holds true to form....Mark Hudspeth or some other coach not on the radar currently.

I agree with your prediction.

If Auburn holds true to form....Mark Hudspeth or some other coach not on the radar currently.

I would say I am 50/50 on both answers.

I am praying that those who are saying JJ can't afford another WTH hire are correct.

wde

My wish: 1a. Patterson, 1b. Peterson, 2. Jimbo, 3. Petrino (in that order). I support any of these.

My Guess hire: Petrino

I just hope we do not hire the no-name coach that has not been anywhere yet, but had 1 good year playing in some secondary conference. With the way the SEC is right now, you better pony up or you may as well not play. The ESPN's of the world and several analysts are saying coaches should stay away from AU because no one can compete with Saban and AU could be in serious trouble with the NCAA.

First of all, I do not think we will be in lots of trouble with the NCAA, but this is still being said. I really hope one of these coaches interviews, sees the campus, and our facilities and purse strings and decides, I need to be at AU; after all AU won the BCS Title just 2 years ago.

I think any of the 3 P's plus Jimbo could win for years at AU.

This article brings to mind a new potential catch phrase: no longer "All in" and "Family," but rather "All business."

I know losing isn't any fun, and winning is. But I wonder to what extent we really want "the polar opposite" of Chizik. I mean, really.

I am 50/50 on Petrino. If we hire him, I will definitely still support Auburn. But I sure wouldn't be upset if we hired another detail-oriented, proven winner who was also more fun and more 'family', if you know what I mean.

"saying coaches should stay away from AU because no one can compete with Saban"

I am sick of hearing that crap from the talking heads. They are basically saying that every coach out there is a coward and has no guts. I am pretty sure if you are in this profession you have a pretty big ego and would look at this as a challenge. Times are different now and while I am sure coaches still look for that "destination" job, they also realize there are no guarantees in this current college football climate. I want the guy who walks into the interview, looks Bo and Pat in the eye, and says " I want to take down Saban and win the SEC and NC here." I just think its an insult to other coaches that they somehow cower in fear when they hear Saban's name.

Without regard to the neverending BP lovefest, on BSPN, Luginbill also made a mention of his concern that a top coach would come here in light of what Luginbill said is the constant "insiders and boosters", always adding themselves to the decisions.

As some of have said, that was a concern of Patterson previously. What effect if any will it have this time? If factual, it could really shake up the mix, drastically.

This article brings to mind a new potential catch phrase: no longer "All in" and "Family," but rather "All business."

I know losing isn't any fun, and winning is. But I wonder to what extent we really want "the polar opposite" of Chizik. I mean, really.

I am 50/50 on Petrino. If we hire him, I will definitely still support Auburn. But I sure wouldn't be upset if we hired another detail-oriented, proven winner who was also more fun and more 'family', if you know what I mean.

The football program pretty much blew up the whole "Family" thing starting in January 2011 with the Trailer Park 4 and continued through this past season. As far as All Business, when you are paying your HC over 3 million dollars a year and the staff is being paid at a top 10 level in coaching salaries, then you are absolutely already "All Business".

wde

I want the guy who walks into the interview, looks Bo and Pat in the eye, and says " I want to take down Saban and win the SEC and NC here."

Man, you are 100% spot on!! That is exactly the kind of guy we need.

The football program pretty much blew up the whole "Family" thing starting in January 2011 with the Trailer Park 4 and continued through this past season. As far as All Business, when you are paying your HC over 3 million dollars a year and the staff is being paid at a top 10 level in coaching salaries, then you are absolutely already "All Business".

wde

Hmmmmmm .... I guess I want a coach who is about more than just getting his players to the NFL. I want a coach who will know what to do with a Kodi Burns, for instance. Maybe that means I want Malzahn, I don't know. I just don't buy it -- pun intended -- that Auburn football is all about business. Count me with the crowd that thinks Auburn is a university first. Football may be its national face, but it does not define the university. And football is about more than the almighty dollar. If it's not, then we're really screwed up.

I want the guy who walks into the interview, looks Bo and Pat in the eye, and says " I want to take down Saban and win the SEC and NC here."

I agree with this, by the way. I just think that this is consistent with wanting a coach who's about more than business (meaning $). I want a coach who's all business, when business includes molding young men of character who will compete and win. Money has nothing to do with that. JMO

I agree with this, by the way. I just think that this is consistent with wanting a coach who's about more than business (meaning $). I want a coach who's all business, when business includes molding young men of character who will compete and win. Money has nothing to do with that. JMO

I concur. It shouldnt be all about money. I want Auburn to win big, but not at the cost of being the late 80's Miami Hurricanes.

+1 :flag::wareagle::party:

The following is a quote from Bobby Petrino back in August:

“I take responsibility for it and I am really sorry. I have played it over and over in my head a million times. How could I do this? How could this happen? And not just the hiring. Or that day. But my actions, my behavior — for months it was just wrong. I’m working hard to save my marriage. I’m working one day at a time. I want to stay married. That’s my main priority right now. Making things right with my family. … I’ve made mistakes and I’m going to be a better person for it. … I think I’ve got to take this one day at a time, continue to improve as a person and as a husband. I’m also going to continue to work on football. And I just hope and pray that I get that opportunity again.”

“I take responsibility for it and I am really sorry. I have played it over and over in my head a million times. How could I do this? How could this happen? And not just the hiring. Or that day. But my actions, my behavior — for months it was just wrong. I’m working hard to save my marriage. I’m working one day at a time. I want to stay married. That’s my main priority right now. Making things right with my family. … I’ve made mistakes and I’m going to be a better person for it. … I think I’ve got to take this one day at a time, continue to improve as a person and as a husband. I’m also going to continue to work on football. And I just hope and pray that I get that opportunity again.”

Putting any moral or ethical arguments aside, here is the main reason I think Gouge will not hire him. Gouge would be hiring an employee that was just recently fired from another employer for breaking some major workplace rules. What message does that send to the rest of the University? The football program doesn't exist in a vacuum, what about the next Auburn employee who breaks a rule? Couldn't he look at Gouge and say "hey, you hired a football coach who did worse than me"? Im not saying this is why I wouldnt hire him, but I think in the end its why Gouge will not hire him.

Putting any moral or ethical arguments aside, here is the main reason I think Gouge will not hire him. Gouge would be hiring an employee that was just recently fired from another employer for breaking some major workplace rules. What message does that send to the rest of the University? The football program doesn't exist in a vacuum, what about the next Auburn employee who breaks a rule? Couldn't he look at Gouge and say "hey, you hired a football coach who did worse than me"? Im not saying this is why I wouldnt hire him, but I think in the end its why Gouge will not hire him.

The reported meeting with Slive and CBP earlier this week will take care of these concerns IMO.

Archived