WR coach thread

kickerman97

Since DC isn't coming home, who would you like to see GUS go after? I think this guy deserves a a look.

Matt Lubick - DUKE

Matt Lubick joined the Blue Devil staff in February of 2010 and serves as Duke’s passing game coordinator and recruiting coordinator while coaching the Blue Devil wide receivers.

In 2011, the Blue Devils ranked second in the ACC in passing offense while wide receiver Conner Vernon — a two-time All-ACC selection — became the first player in league history to post multiple seasons with 70-plus receptions. In addition, wideout Donovan Varner eclipsed the school’s all-time catch record, closing his career with 207 receptions — matching the fourth-highest total in ACC history.

Duke’s 2011 passing attack featured four players — Varner, Vernon, wideout Brandon Braxton and tight end Cooper Helfet — that caught 40 or more passes, matching the school record set in 1982.

Vernon enjoyed a terrific season in 2010 with 73 receptions for 973 yards and four touchdowns. The All-ACC choice paced the conference in receptions per game (6.08) while his 73 catches fell one short of the school single-season record of 74 set by Wes Chesson in 1970. In addition, Vernon coupled with Varner (60 receptions, 736 yards) and Austin Kelly (47 receptions, 486 yards) to form the most prolific pass-catching trio in school history with a combined 180 grabs for 2,195 yards.

Duke’s passing attack ranked second in the ACC in 2010 as quarterback Sean Renfree became just the fourth player in school history to throw for 3,000 or more yards. In addition, the Blue Devils had five players — Vernon, Varner, Kelly, tight end Cooper Helfet (34) and running back Desmond Scott (34) — with 30 or more receptions for the just the second time in school history.

Lubick came to Durham after spending the previous three seasons (2007-09) on the staff at Arizona State. With the Sun Devils, Lubick served as assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator while coaching the safeties. In his three seasons spearheading the Sun Devils’ recruiting efforts, Arizona State’s classes ranked 17th (2008), 36th (2009) and 27th (2010) by Scout.com and 21st (2008), 30th (2009) and 35th (2010) by Rivals.com. In 2007, Lubick helped the Sun Devils to a 10-3 overall record that included a share of the Pac-10 championship, a final national ranking of No. 16 and an appearance in the Holiday Bowl.

Lubick is credited with signing Vontaze Burfict, the highest-rated prospect in Arizona State football history, as well as former Ole Miss standout Dexter McClusker, an All-SEC pick in 2009 after becoming the first player in league history to amass over 1,000 rushing yards and over 500 receiving yards in the same season. Lubick was named one of the top-10 recruiters in the Pac-10 by Rivals.com in each of his three years with the Sun Devils.

In 1995, Lubick got his start in coaching as a student assistant coach and academic supervisor under his father at Colorado State University. He then coached one season (1996) at California State-Northridge and two campaigns (1997-98) at San Jose State. From 1999-00, Lubick was on the staff at Oregon State where he coached the defensive backs while helping coordinate the Beavers’ recruiting efforts. In 2000, Oregon State enjoyed its finest season on the gridiron by posting an 11-1 overall ledger and defeating Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

A 1995 graduate of Colorado State, Lubick returned to his alma mater for a four-year stint on the coaching staff from 2001-04. Coaching the Rams’ wide receivers, he helped Colorado State to the 2002 Mountain West Conference championship as well as three straight bowl games in 2001 (New Orleans), 2002 (Liberty) and 2003 (San Francisco). Lubick then served two years (2005-06) on the staff at Ole Miss, coaching the wide receivers.

A native of Bozeman, Mont., Lubick attended Western Montana College where he earned four varsity letters as a defensive back on the football team and earned all-conference and NAIA All-America honors as a senior. He earned a bachelor’s degree in exercise and sport science from Colorado State in 1995.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204893696

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps...

Kris Cinkovich - Arky

Kris Cinkovich is in his third season at Arkansas as assistant coach for wide receivers. He was named one of the top 50 recruiters in the country by 247Sports.com in February of 2012.

In the 2012 NFL Draft, Arkansas receivers tied a draft record as for the 14th time in draft history, and third time by the SEC, a school had three different wide receivers selected in the same draft. Joe Adams, Jarius Wright and Greg Childs were all drafted in the fourth round, marking the sixth time in draft history a school had three receivers picked in the first four rounds.

During the 2011 season, Cinkovich again molded the UA receivers into one of the most dominant groups in the country. Arkansas led the SEC in passing offense (300.7), total offense (438.1) and scoring offense (36.8) to become just the fifth different school to lead the conference in all three categories in a single season and the first since Florida in 2001. The Razorbacks topped the conference in passing offense for the third straight season and became the second SEC team since 1992 to lead the conference in passing offense for at least three straight seasons. Arkansas was one of two schools to place two receivers in the top 10 in the SEC in receiving yards per game and receptions per game.

Wright earned first-team All-SEC accolades after he broke the UA single-season record for receptions (66), receiving yards (1,117) and touchdown receptions (12). He topped the conference and tied for seventh in the country in receiving touchdowns and led the SEC and ranked 18th in the NCAA with his average of 93.1 receiving yards per game, making him the first Razorback in school history to lead the SEC in that category. His 5.5 receptions-per-game average ranked second in the conference. Wright also broke Arkansas' career receptions (168) and career receiving yards (2,934) records and left ranking second in school history in 100-yard receiving games (9) and receiving touchdowns (24).

Adams ranked second on Arkansas' career receptions list with 164 and fourth in school history with 2,410 receiving yards, 17 touchdowns and seven 100-yard receiving games. He finished the 2011 season fourth in the SEC with his average of 4.2 receptions per game and eighth in the conference with an average of 50.2 receiving yards per game.

In 2010 during the Razorbacks' campaign toward the school's first BCS appearance, Cinkovich's unit tied for the SEC lead with nine different games featuring a 100-yard receiver. UA was one of two schools in the conference to have four different receivers top 100 yards. Arkansas also was one of two schools in the SEC to have two receivers rank in the top 10 in the conference in receiving yards per game.

Before Arkansas, Cinkovich coached three of the top four all-time reception leaders in UNLV history. Ryan Wolfe finished his career ranked first in the UNLV record books with 283 receptions, a total that stood 12th all-time in NCAA history. Wolfe signed with the Atlanta Falcons after leaving the Rebels. Casey Flair was the second-leading receiver in school history with 202 receptions, and Earvin Johnson finished fourth with 183 receptions.

Cinkovich also assisted with a passing attack that ranked in the top 50 nationally in 2008 and 2009, accounting for 40 passing touchdowns. UNLV also led the nation in red zone production in 2008 (95 percent) and third-down efficiency in 2009 (46.39 percent).

During the 2006 season, Wolfe set several Mountain West Conference and UNLV freshman records while both Wolfe and Flair earned All-MWC honors. It was the first time since 1994 that a pair of Rebel receivers picked up all-conference accolades. Flair broke the school record for career receptions in 2007, only to be passed by Wolfe.

Cinkovich came to UNLV from Las Vegas High School, where he oversaw the Wildcats for nine seasons and built one of the state's top programs en route to compiling a record of 79-24. In 1995, he took LVHS to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years and in 2001 brought the school its first state championship since 1959.

Cinkovich's squads won three regional titles and were ranked among the best on the west coast three times by USA TODAY. He was inducted into the Southern Nevada Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2004.

Cinkovich played collegiately at Spokane Falls Community College from 1979-80 and Carroll College from 1981-82 as an offensive lineman.

A 1984 graduate of Carroll College in Helena, Mont., Cinkovich earned his master's degree from Central Washington in 1987. He and his wife, Joanie, have two daughters, Carly and Stephanie.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=204866938

Can't say I have a problem with either of them, I personally would lean toward the Arky coach, it would probably cost more to get him (provided he is interested) but he is proven for his product in the SEC.

At the same time, there is no telling how well the Duke coach can recruit since Duke has such strict Academics, and he could probably be gotten with much less money.

Agree with AUTiger. I'd lean to Kris-Arky mainly for the SEC experience but Matt-Duke wouldn't be bad either. I was wondering if Matt would maybe open up West Coast recruiting but then again it seems the only real west recruiting we do is for the JC players.

I actually would like to see someone like:

Erik Campbell - Iowa

Erik Campbell is in his fifth season as wide receiver coach at the University of Iowa. Campbell also coached the tight ends in his first two years on the Iowa staff. He joined the Iowa staff after serving as an assistant coach at Michigan for 13 seasons. Campbell also served as assistant head coach at Michigan for five seasons.

Iowa has been bowl eligible the past 11 seasons and has participated in 10 bowl games since 2001. The Hawkeyes won bowl games following the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons, defeating ranked opponents in both 2009 and 2010. The Hawkeyes have ranked in the final top 10 of both major polls four times in the past 10 seasons.

Iowa has appeared in six January bowl games since 2001. The Hawkeyes have won six-of-10 bowl games under Kirk Ferentz and his staff, including four January bowl victories. The January Bowl wins have come over Florida (2004 Outback), LSU (2005 Capital One), South Carolina (2009 Outback) and Georgia Tech (2010 Orange).

Iowa has won 85 games over the past 10 seasons, including 50 Big Ten games. The Hawkeyes earned a share of the Big Ten title in both 2002 and 2004 and tied for second in 2009. Iowa has finished in the Big Ten's first division in 10 of the past 11 years.

Campbell has participated in 22 bowl games throughout his career. After competing in bowl games four consecutive years as a player, Campbell has coached in 18 bowl games. He has coached in 13 January bowl games, the most recent being Iowa's victories in the 2009 Outback Bowl and 2010 Orange Bowl.

In 2011, Iowa's Marvin McNutt, Jr. was honored with the Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year award in the Big Ten Conference while being named first team all-Big Ten. He earned All-American recognition from several media outlets. McNutt led Iowa with 82 receptions for 1,315 yards and 12 touchdowns. He tied the school record for receptions in a season, while setting records for yards and touchdowns. In career statistics, McNutt is Iowa's record holder in receiving yards (2,861) and scoring receptions (28), while ranking second in receptions (170). He was selected by Philadelphia in the sixth round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

The 2010 season marked the first time ever Iowa had two wide receivers earn all-Big Ten honors in the same season, as senior Derrell Johnson-Koulianos earned first team honors and junior Marvin McNutt, Jr., was a second team selection. Johnson-Koulianos became Iowa's all-time leader in receptions and yards (173-2,616). McNutt, Jr., led Iowa with 53 receptions for 861 yards and eight touchdowns. Iowa's offense has averaged over 220 passing yards per game in each of the past three seasons. Iowa has featured at least three players with at least 30 receptions in each of the last three seasons.

In 2009, Senior Tight End Tony Moeaki (30-387 yards) earned first team all-Big Ten honors after having the best season of his career. Moeaki was one of eight semifinalists for the John Mackey Award. He was selected by Kansas City in the third round of the 2010 NFL draft. Moeaki totaled 47 receptions for 556 yards and three scores in his rookie season before missing the 2011 season due to injury.

Iowa's offense in 2008 ranked second in the Big Ten in scoring (30.3) and first downs, third in time of possession and fourth in passing efficiency. Senior tight end Brandon Myers was drafted by Oakland in the sixth round of the 2009 NFL draft and has had three stellar seasons with the Raiders.

Campbell, at Michigan, was responsible for the wide receiving corps and worked with the team's punt returners for 13 seasons. Campbell added the title of assistant head coach prior to the start of the 2003 season. In addition to his coaching responsibilities, Campbell coordinated the successful Women's Football Academy, put on annually by the coaching staff, which helped raise over one million dollars for the University of Michigan Cancer Center.

Campbell coached a 1,000-yard receiver an NCAA record eight straight seasons (1998-2005), with Braylon Edwards becoming the ninth player in Division I-A history and the first player in Big Ten history to achieve three straight 1,000-yard seasons. His streak of 1,000-yard receivers came to an end in 2006, but a record three Wolverines receivers gained over 500 yards for the first time in school history.

In McNutt and Edwards, Campbell has coached two of the top receivers in Big Ten history. McNutt's 1,315 receiving yards in 2011 ranks seventh best for a single season in the Big Ten, while Edwards had 1,330 yards in 2004 for the sixth best single season total. Edwards leads all Big Ten receivers with 39 career touchdowns, while McNutt ranks 10th with 28 career scores.

Campbell was a key factor in the punt return success of Steve Breaston, the Big Ten's career punt return leader. Breaston returned 127 punts for a conference record 1,599 yards (12.6 avg.) and four scores during his career.

Campbell coached three All-Americans during his tenure -- David Terrell, Marquise Walker and Edwards -- and had four players receive the Bo Schembechler Most Valuable Player team award. Campbell's players have earned All-Big Ten honors 18 times, including 10 first-team citations and eight second-team honors.

Campbell joined the Michigan staff in 1995 and coached some of Michigan's top wide receivers. His list of NFL products includes: Amani Toomer, a second-round draft pick of the New York Giants (1996); Mercury Hayes, a fifth-round pick of the New Orleans Saints (1996); 1997 Heisman Trophy winner Charles Woodson, a first-round pick of the Oakland Raiders (1998); Streets, a fifth-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers (1999); Marcus Knight, a free agent pickup of the Oakland Raiders (2000); Terrell, the eighth pick of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears; Walker, a third-round selection by the Tampa Bay Buccanneers (2002); free agent signee Ronald Bellamy by the Miami Dolphins (2003); Edwards, the third pick of the 2005 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns; Jason Avant, a fourth-round pick of the Philadelphia Eagles (2006); Steve Breaston, a fifth-round selection of the Arizona Cardinals (2007); Mario Manningham, a third-round pick of the New York Giants (2008); Adrian Arrington, a seventh-round selection of the New Orleans Saints (2008); and Myers, taken in the sixth round by Oakland in 2009. Edwards capped a record-setting career by winning the 2004 Biletnikoff Award as the top wide receiver in college football.

http://www.hawkeyesp...ell_erik00.html

Why isn't DC coming home?

DC is great friends with JF at FSU plus he is a QB coach and we already have that position in CRL. I loving using acronyms, can you tell. Names are so non-personnel and overrated anyway!

Why isn't DC coming home?

DC is great friends with JF at FSU plus he is a QB coach and we already have that position in CRL. I loving using acronyms, can you tell. Names are so non-personnel and overrated anyway!

And FSU matched our offer of 400k apparently. So DC went from 250k to 400k to stay and not have to move.

Whomever it is or may be rumored, please stop getting you hopes up or down based on what JGT, PM, EagleDamnWar, or ST tweets, posts or facebooks. They know very little.

wde

Norvell from AZ State

He's OC and QB coach currently. I know he used to be a WR coach but it would seem like a step down. I hope that maybe his connection with Gus could help also.

Norvell from AZ State

He's OC and QB coach currently. I know he used to be a WR coach but it would seem like a step down. I hope that maybe his connection with Gus could help also.

I think he is co-OC....

I still think Casey Woods is a very good choice. He will be working the Arkansas State vs Kent State bowl game along with Lashlee on 1/7/2013. He knows how Gus wants his WRs to run their routes, and has been working with Gus every year starting in 2009.

His resume is on the Arkansas State website:

- On 7 bowl teams over the last 9 years with Tennesse and Auburn

- 3 seasons as Director of Offensive Quality Control At Auburn, 2009 - 2011

- Prior to Auburn, served as graduate assistant at Tannessee 2008, working with wide receivers

A native of Starkville, Miss., Woods earned bachelor's degrees in both psychology and political science from Tennessee in 2006. He recveved his master's degree in sport psycology from Tennessee in 2007. He is pursuing further graduate work in sport psycology.

I also understand that Kodi Burns may be available as graduate assistant for WRs!!

Well I did want DC for the recruiting aspect of it but I wasn't thrilled with the idea of him coaching WRs. Seems that the FSU QB is inconsistent as well so it may have been for the better development wise.

It would be nice to see the names of serious candidates but I' not getting my hopes up until they are announced.

I think Auburn needs one proven recruiter at either receiver coach or RB coach to be the recruiting coordinator. The other guy can be a Malzahn no name...and it would be great to get Herb Hand at OL coach, but I'm sure that's just dreaming.

dreaming? to steal a coach from vandy?

Is he only the OL coach there? I know he was co-OC with Malzahn at Tulsa...but I was saying I may be dreaming just because I haven't heard much positive mention of it.

Archived