Wide outs - Receivers - how are we looking

JFDTiger80

When I look through our Recruiting list, it looks to me like Wide out is definitely a big need, not necessarily from a numbers standpoint but from a production standpoint for sure. Our list does not have us as leading on any highly rated receivers.

I would like to open this up to everyone's opinion as to who we have a good chance to get at receiver, and do we think this situation can turn for the better before signing day.

Highly rated HS receivers should know they may have a chance at getting on the field early if they sign with us (I know receiver is not typically a position that true freshman can get early PT). This is all the more reason why we need to get some serious players at our receiver positions.

The list shows us taking 2 WRs but we have 10 receivers (including the 4 incoming) and 6 of the 10 were 4* on Scout. I'm far more concerned with DT where it shows us taking 3 and we only have 2 even on the board and one of those is likely $puat bound. We got great players with Adams, Lawson and Daniels on the Dline in last year's class but need to follow it very strong in this year's to have dominance and continuity. IMO

I think we got some good wide outs in last year's haul. Walker, Robinson and Stevens are going to be good ones-big targets, too.

My biggest concern right now continues to be the secondary. I agree with gman, that we need guys on the d-line, considering the grads we've got coming up soon. However, I feel our area of greatest need from a pure TALENT standpoint is the d-backfield. I mean we run a 5-man secondary now. I'm not ripping on the guys we have there now, but we need more.

Top recruits in offensive skill positions, QBs, RBs and WRs, can afford to be selective and still get most of the teams on their wish list. If they are interested in AU, most likely they will want to at least know two things. Who is going to be our QB and are we really turning things around after watching the first few games. If you look at the teams we are in competition with for these WR recruits, you can see those unknowns aren't something they need to have as much concern about.

The recruits on the AUF '14 recruiting page have the teams listed below as their favorites. In each case, except for Tennessee which is for a Tennessee recruit, all the teams have something in common. They all had a good record last year, the starting QB is relatively known and the head coach hasn't changed. The teams are LSU 10-3, A&M 11-2, USC 11-2, Clemson 11-2, Alabama 13-1, FSU 12-2, Florida 11-2, Tennessee 5-7 (a Tenn. recruit), Auburn 3-9. That is just the reality Gus faces.

However, if AU and Gus get off to a good start this year, the momentum should build. This staff can overcome almost any obstacle so I wouldn't be surprised to see them land a top WR in spite of the obstacles. But for the moment it's prudent to be realistic regarding how we stack up with these other programs on the things that are important to top skill players. But next year, or even this year if we have a decent showing going into mid-season, Gus should have some of the top offensive skill players banging on the door to play in his offense.

This from WEAU is pretty spot on.

Wide Receivers - 0 + 2 = 2

Malachi Dupre | 6-3 | 187 | John Curtis HS | New Orleans, La. ****

Status: LSU is the leader | Recruiter: Dameyune Craig | Commit Date: TBA

Speedy Noil | 5-11 | 176 | Edna Karr HS | New Orleans, La. | ****

Status: LSU and Texas A&M are the leaders | Recruiter: | Commit Date: January (Under Armour game)

Shaq Davidson | 6-0 | 170 | Gaffney HS | Gaffney, S.C. | ****

Status: South Carolina is the leader | Recruiter: | Commit Date: NSD

Trey Quinn | 6-1 | 200 | Barbe HS | Lake Charles, La. | ****

Demarre Kitt | 6-1 | 182 | Sandy Creek HS | Tyrone, Ga. | ****

Status: Clemson is the leader | Recruiter: Rhett Lashlee, Charlie Harbison | Commit Date: June 10th

Cameron Sims | 6-4 | 190 | Ouachita Parish HS | Monroe, La. | ****

Status: Alabama and LSU are the leaders | Recruiter: J.B. Grimes | Commit Date: January (Under Armour game) or NSD

Josh Malone | 6-3 | 190 | Station Camp HS | Gallatin, Tenn. | ****

Status: Tennessee is the leader | Recruiter: Rhett Lashlee | Commit Date: Fall

Markell Pack | 6-2 | 180 | Purvis HS | Purvis, Miss. | ****

Status: Florida State and Ole Miss are the leaders | Recruiter: Melvin Smith | Commit Date: December or January

Travis Rudolph | 6-1 | 185 | Cardinal Newman HS | West Palm Beach, Fla. | ****

Status: Florida is the leader | Recruiter: Dameyune Craig | Commit Date: January (Under Armour game)

I still say Reed has talent that can be salvaged or developed.

I watched him closely during the A-Day game. His confidence is on the same level as KF. Zero to None!

I am joking but when; after he graduates?

I will fix the mishaps from quoting it later.

Yea, tell me about it. Hard to fix like that when it appears. :slapfh:

I am joking but when; after he graduates?

JMO, I think Bray has confidence and can be developed.

i really think T Reed will have one of those Kodi Burns/Jason Campbell-type seasons... the one where everyone shifts from "wow, why was i so hyped about this guy?" to "he blossomed before our eyes, i'm proud to say he was an Auburn Tiger."

maybe that's a little homer-ish and subjective, but i'm really pulling for the guy.

I still hold out hope for Trovon as I do KF. Both of them have a chance with Gus here that without him they may not have gotten. If they don't produce this year then all bets are off. Both of them have talent behind them that won't just sit back and enjoy being second string. They have to earn it if they want it! They are capable. It will be very interesting to see how some of our older guys react to the young talent.

I still hold out hope for Trovon as I do KF. Both of them have a chance with Gus here that without him they may not have gotten. If they don't produce this year then all bets are off. Both of them have talent behind them that won't just sit back and enjoy being second string. They have to earn it if they want it! They are capable. It will be very interesting to see how some of our older guys react to the young talent.

Exactly...Gus recruited them for a reason.

Archived