Could Mitch Mustain join the Auburn Staff?

tigerchris

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/coach_mitch_mustain_gus_malzah.html

"He knows a lot of football. He knows our offense very well and of course you're always looking for guys who can do that in the future. You never know." -Gus Malzahn

I was at that game he started at Jordan-Hare in 06. Jones and McFadden ran through us all day.

I was at that game he started at Jordan-Hare in 06. Jones and McFadden ran through us all day.

Yea I remember that game too...seems like every time you looked it was a 30yd + run

And we were ranked #2 in the nation at the time, if my memory hasnt failed me

#2 in the AP. #3 in the coaches poll and Harris poll.

Like any former Gus player/associate, I could see Mustain working with us. It would be a few years away though considering he is isn't even coaching yet and of course he'd have to put in the years to work his way up through the Gus Bus ranks.

Like any former Gus player/associate, I could see Mustain working with us. It would be a few years away though considering he is isn't even coaching yet and of course he'd have to put in the years to work his way up through the Gus Bus ranks.

He could and probably would be a grad assistant at Auburn as soon as he hangs it up in the Arena League.

He could and probably would be a grad assistant at Auburn as soon as he hangs it up in the Arena League.

Could be a plus having the once #1 ranked player in the country on staff. Just sayin'

Could be a plus having the once #1 ranked player in the country on staff. Just sayin'

Maybe, but the fact that he got caught between offensive philosophies and didn't accomplish much as a player (through no fault of his own) probably doesn't help. Most recruits probably won't know who Mitch Mustain is.

This is why im excited for gus being our coach! That defense of tommys was pretty good that yr and gus had us confused the whole game!!

For sure. Watching our safeties forced to make all the tackles made for a very quiet drive home. I still have no idea what Nutt was thinking by not allowing CGM to run his offense the way he intended. Benefit of hindsight, I guess. :dunno:

Maybe, but the fact that he got caught between offensive philosophies and didn't accomplish much as a player (through no fault of his own) probably doesn't help. Most recruits probably won't know who Mitch Mustain is.

This is why im excited for gus being our coach! That defense of tommys was pretty good that yr and gus had us confused the whole game!!

For sure. Watching our safeties forced to make all the tackles made for a very quiet drive home. I still have no idea what Nutt was thinking by not allowing CGM to run his offense the way he intended. Benefit of hindsight, I guess. :dunno:/>

Chizik did the same thing to gus as well. I guess they both were jealous of malzahn's football iq is the only thing I can figure out.

Good point. Looking forward to seeing CGM get to do it his way for a change.

Would his mommy be coming with him?

If they told my son (I'm a father of three girls, so this will sadly never be the case for me) they would run his high-school coach's offense to recruit him, and even take it a step further and hire his high-school coach to run the offense, then refuse to do so, I'd be upset too. I read they scrapped that plan after the USC loss in game one of the '06 season and from that point on CGM was OC in name only.

Also, I did a little research on the subject. Just to give everyone an idea of what a nutthouse that whole situation was:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3620040

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2007/nov/08/text-prewett-letters/

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/04/HoustonDaleNuttinfo.pdf

For sure. Watching our safeties forced to make all the tackles made for a very quiet drive home. I still have no idea what Nutt was thinking by not allowing CGM to run his offense the way he intended. Benefit of hindsight, I guess. :dunno:

It was more or less a package deal as I recall. If Arky wanted Mustain then Gus came with him. Nutt resented the hell out of that, which I can't say I blame him for that. Still though once he's there take advantage of what he brings to the table.

With all this talk about Miustain could join our staff, is there some feeling that Lashlee won't be here for very long?

It's just summer chit chat a4e. But I would think Rhett's career goals don't involve being a coordinator for his entire life so....

With all this talk about Miustain could join our staff, is there some feeling that Lashlee won't be here for very long?

It's possible but unlikely.

Kodi Burns is in staff as a head assistant. He was also once highly recruited and did have success in college albeit at a different position.

Maybe mustain would be a similar type deal.

The mustain talk and lashlee are not related at all.

Kodi Burns is in staff as a head assistant. He was also once highly recruited and did have success in college albeit at a different position.

Kodi is a grad assistant.

I'd look at it more as a deposit in the coaches talent pool. MM knows our system and now has been exposed to a few other systems and coaching philosophies. Let him test drive coaching as a grad assistant to begin and see whether he wants to go that direction. Odds are, with success, Lashlee will get the opportunity to be a HC sometime in the future. Bright idea is to have a couple of options "in waiting" to be the next up and coming OC. Maybe they come in for a bit, rotate away to similar programs, ie: Samford, Arky St or Tulsa, learning a little more and have the ability to come back as OC...

I could potentially see any of his former QB's coming in to this type role if they have any designs on coaching ...Chris Todd has continued to hang around,...saw him wandering around the sidelines at A-day.

I would hope we don't have to worry about going out and hiring another OC for at least 3 years.

Would not have to go out for the hire. Coach Craig would be promoted.

Archived