***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

58 minutes ago, metafour said:

Its the offense, it really has little to do with "recruiting".  When you run an offense like the one Malzahn has clearly been shown to favor, then you have to live with the fact that your QB recruiting base is more or less limited to guys like Woody Barrett/Nick Marshall/etc...ie: run-first QBs with passing question marks whom you are hopeful can learn to pass.  A more traditional QB like Stidham obviously isn't going to prefer to come play in this offense.

"But at Tulsa!!"

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

If he's unconcerned with A&M's inability to finish a season or keep a QB upright (Kyle Allen and Trevor Knight both took a beating in that offense), I'm not sure why Stidham would really be more concerned about whether Auburn would tailor to his skill set. Both are pretty legitimate concerns. I think this is far more about being in Texas and having a clear path to a starting job than anything else.

We can say, "he's not concerned about Sean White" all we want, but Sean is a much clearer obstacle than any QB at A&M. Frankly, so is John Franklin or Woody Barrett. Redshirt Freshman Nick Starkel (a low-tier 2016 QB that redshirted this year) is the only scholarship QB on the roster after Knight and Hubenak graduate. It would be silly to pretend like that massive hole in the roster is a non-factor or even a limited factor in Stidham's decision. Compete with a Junior QB with two years starting and the best QBR in the SEC oooooor compete against basically no one? It's a pretty easy selling point.

With all due respect just no and highly unlikely.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He also did not take full advantage of the biggest recruiting boon to happen in modern college football which is being able to say you were Cams OC.  Then he did not take advantage of the 2 really good to great years of Nick. He got a bunch of qbs who do not fit his system in JJ, Sean and tyler Queen. Woody is the first one who resembles a Gus type of qb that he has been successful with.

A healthy TQ would have fit the offense. That why Gus took his commitment right after his Soph year of high school. He had over rush 1000 yards and 20 rush TDs that season.

Just now, ellitor said:

A healthy TQ would have fit the offense. That why Gus took his commitment right after his Soph year of high school. He had over rush 1000 yards and 20 rush TDs that season.

WOLVES drop guys who will never be the same again. Especially at the most important position. Urban and Harbaugh have done that a few times over the last few years. major college football has no room for compassion.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WOLVES drop guys who will never be the same again. Especially at the most important position. Urban and Harbaugh have done that a few times over the last few years. major college football has no room for compassion.

They obviously thought he was still worth taking since his shoulder injury was believed not serious enough at the time to need surgery.

And surprised you did not mention Saban. He is the Sith Master of dropping committed kids like he never recruited them after all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

They obviously thought he was still worth taking since his shoulder injury was believed not serious enough at the time to need surgery.

And surprised you did not mention Saban. He is the Sith Master of dropping committed kids like he never recruited them after all.

lol yes that is true. I just wanted to show it was not just saban pulling that card but the other 2 great coaches in the sport do that as well. very true on all your points though.

@ellitor You can respectfully disagree all you want. Both of those guys are more of an obstacle than Starkel, and that's all I said. I didn't say either was a major obstacle, just more significant than Starkel. I'm correct.

@metafour I'll agree with you there. Sean has been dinged twice. The question is whether that's due to our inability to protect him or to Sean's body. Open question. Not in question is the fact that Manziel and Hill are the only QBs Sumlin has been able to keep healthy. One because he was a freak, and the other gets an incomplete. Allen, Murray, and Knight have all been injured. It's a real question. A&M uses wider line splits than any other team I've seen in the SEC, and by design, they open their QBs to potshots. It's sort of built into the Air Raid because you cannot ask five to block the defensive lines and blitzes you see in the SEC. I kind of expect that trend to continue until they adjust to provide more protection or start to run the ball more (to slow the rush). That's not a Stidham specific issue, but it's one I imagine has been pointed out to him.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@ellitor You can respectfully disagree all you want. Both of those guys are more of an obstacle than Starkel, and that's all I said. I didn't say either was a major obstacle, just more significant than Starkel. I'm correct.

Only marginally so it's not even worth mentioning as so many people tell me when I'm splitting hairs like that. With JF3 specifically the staff has less than 0 confidence in him as a QB so I will be surprised barring injury that he has anymore competitive snaps at QB the rest of his AU career other than some gadget plays. He is just not a QB and everyone knows it but him unfortunately.

47 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Jeffrey Lee had a teaser on twitter about Stidham visiting. Does anyone have any information? Getting him back on campus would at least give us a chance...

Just OVing next week which many have known for a couple months now.  He has never backed off from OVing AU no matter the momentum aTm has appeared to have gotten.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just OVing next week which many have known for a couple months now.  He has never backed off from OVing AU no matter the momentum aTm has appeared to have gotten.

There was rumor he never would "officially" visit so this is good

7 minutes ago, lala said:

There was rumor he never would "officially" visit so this is good

OV TAMU, correct?

1 hour ago, Never2Yield said:

OV TAMU, correct?

OV AU.

1 hour ago, Never2Yield said:

OV TAMU, correct?

He will if he has not already. He is visiting bioth schools 1 more time for a total of 3 each.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He will if he has not already. He is visiting both schools 1 more time for a total of 3 each.

@ellitorthanks for the clarification.

5 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@ellitor

@metafour I'll agree with you there. Sean has been dinged twice. The question is whether that's due to our inability to protect him or to Sean's body. Open question. Not in question is the fact that Manziel and Hill are the only QBs Sumlin has been able to keep healthy. One because he was a freak, and the other gets an incomplete. Allen, Murray, and Knight have all been injured. It's a real question. That's not a Stidham specific issue, but it's one I imagine has been pointed out to him.

Don't forget about the reason he got the aTm job in the first place- Keenum

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010

9 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Has Hand had any experience as an OC? Or any play calling experience?

If I recall correctly, Hugh Nall was a good oline coach.

Hugh Nall did a great job of being an OC too, in the one game where he was given a free hand. (AU 28, UAT 23, 2003).

16 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@ellitor@metafour I'll agree with you there. Sean has been dinged twice. The question is whether that's due to our inability to protect him or to Sean's body. Open question. Not in question is the fact that Manziel and Hill are the only QBs Sumlin has been able to keep healthy. One because he was a freak, and the other gets an incomplete. Allen, Murray, and Knight have all been injured. It's a real question. A&M uses wider line splits than any other team I've seen in the SEC, and by design, they open their QBs to potshots. It's sort of built into the Air Raid because you cannot ask five to block the defensive lines and blitzes you see in the SEC. I kind of expect that trend to continue until they adjust to provide more protection or start to run the ball more (to slow the rush). That's not a Stidham specific issue, but it's one I imagine has been pointed out to him.

This a is an interesting thought to consider. Wonder how much this plays into a QB considering a school. I mean, do they think that deeply about an offense they will be playing in? :dunno:

• Like 1

Sean White is a game manager. Stidham shouldn't see him as competition. 

I could see Gus opening the offense if he commits. Back in the day, he was known for being incredible pass happy. Would love to see some more of that. 

If Stidham does take an "Official Visit", there is a chance. Admittedly a pretty small one, but still a chance to sell a great school.  Maybe Gus could sell him on a "One and Done" opportunity. Who knows?  Maybe fly Cam in for a day. Hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking Aggies convince JS not to visit.

Jarrett Stidham may be the most important recruit of the Malzahn era. The gap between us & UAT is widening and we've now lost 3 in a row. I truly believe that Malzahn would open up the offense more if he had a QB that he trusted to make plays down the field. The plays were there tonight in the passing game. They've been there the last 3 years. We just have to have the QB that can deliver.

42 minutes ago, autan said:

If Stidham does take an "Official Visit", there is a chance. Admittedly a pretty small one, but still a chance to sell a great school.  Maybe Gus could sell him on a "One and Done" opportunity. Who knows?  Maybe fly Cam in for a day. Hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking Aggies convince JS not to visit.

He's visiting & will get here Thursday.

7 minutes ago, CCslim said:

is his girl friend staying @ baylor to play soccer?

I think he goes to TAMU because of her

No. She's transferring too. That's why she is taking the OVs with him.