2016 3* DE David Marshall (UGA flip 2/3/16)

Auburn4Winners

Quite honestly, if DM wasn't sure, then he made the right call by decommitting. I'd rather our commitments be 100% on board than have some at 50% or lower. He wanted more time to look around and make his decision, and him decommitting meant that we could do the same. Not necessarily a bad thing guys.

but that's not what happened...he didn't do it the right way..he didn't want to just open his recruitment and think about it. He wanted to flip and if they would have taken him then he would not be visiting on Thursday. Period.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let me see if I have this about right.

* First he says bama is his dream school.

* Next he said he was committed to AU.

* Then he announced via Twitter he was only 75% committed to AU.

* Next he said he was solid to AU again.

* Then he supposedly "recruits" for us at BCW but who knows what he was really saying.

* Finally, two days after BCW, he decommits from AU, via Twitter again. I am sure those top DL prospects he was getting his picture taken with were really impressed. Those would be the same recruits staff worked so hard to get there in the first place. Was that the intent ?

* But now, he is reconsidering.....yet again ?

This has AU getting played written ALL over it.

I wouldn't take him back now, but if someone were to consider it, they would have to make sure this wasn't part of "their" plan. For me personally ? I would only consider him a take on NSD when I got his signed papers and even then only if I really really needed him.

There is absolutely a double standard for a Lawson/cowart type of talent and DM when it comes to "what should we do" - and should be.

IF we welcome him back, then the massive stipulations on his "re"-commitment is that he can't even field a phone call from bama and has to actively, openly and loudly recruit for auburn.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions on DM & welcoming him back or not. That's freely your call. All I would like people to do is consider this. Many coaches at the D1 level are world class salesman & they put intense pressure on 17-18 year old kids to do what they want by either committing or decommitting to their school and even make it look like they are not pressuring the kid. There aren't many situation in life I can think of where there is soo much external pressure to commit to something or not, especially at 17-18.

With that said, I will welcome DM back with open arms and trust the staff has made stipulations. There is definitely some broken trust here and I hope the staff makes it clear to DM if he commits to AU again that under no circumstance is he to talk to Bama or visit them again. If he does then he's done w/ AU. There should not be a 3rd chance. DM made a mistake. Now it's time to learn from that mistake & not repeat it.

+1

It's fine to say "don't take him back right away" but realize that could mean you lose him altogether. If you actually want the guy, you sit down and have a mature conversation with him about his actions. If you feel like he understands, you take his commitment. If not, you look elsewhere. You don't shame a guy, just to make a point, when you want to have a long term relationship. That's just an unhealthy, immature approach. Communicate with him, and both he and Auburn can make an informed decision.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions on DM & welcoming him back or not. That's freely your call. All I would like people to do is consider this. Many coaches at the D1 level are world class salesman & they put intense pressure on 17-18 year old kids to do what they want by either committing or decommitting to their school and even make it look like they are not pressuring the kid. There aren't many situation in life I can think of where there is soo much external pressure to commit to something or not, especially at 17-18.

With that said, I will welcome DM back with open arms and trust the staff has made stipulations. There is definitely some broken trust here and I hope the staff makes it clear to DM if he commits to AU again that under no circumstance is he to talk to Bama or visit them again. If he does then he's done w/ AU. There should not be a 3rd chance. DM made a mistake. Now it's time to learn from that mistake & not repeat it.

ellitor, I hope it doesn't bother you too much that I find myself enthusiastically agreeing with you once again :)

The internet allows us to speak our minds on any and every subject under the sun, but it doesn't require us to think much before doing so. In fact, it almost encourages us to shoot first and ask questions later. Nuance has become an inconvenience. Easier to just write a kid off and move on.

Mcguf cm, Mcloofus and ellitor ... Great posts!

These are indeed world class salesmen that these teenagers are influenced by. But, at this point DM should understand his actions.

My guess is DM will commit in a week or 2 after the coaches give him a chance to solidify his thoughts - my guess it will go as mcgufcm has suggested

It's fine to say "don't take him back right away" but realize that could mean you lose him altogether. If you actually want the guy, you sit down and have a mature conversation with him about his actions. If you feel like he understands, you take his commitment. If not, you look elsewhere. You don't shame a guy, just to make a point, when you want to have a long term relationship. That's just an unhealthy, immature approach. Communicate with him, and both he and Auburn can make an informed decision.

This ^

I trust our coaching staff do do what is right for AU and then for DM!!!!

Sorry guys but I'm going to have to disagree with y'all here. This has AU getting played written all over it imho.

I could be wrong but I don't think our staff would be that gullible.

This may be a blessing in disguise. Bama may have been his dream school, but I wonder if he feels that way now after Lupoi got in his head. He very well could end up at Bama, but if he wants a spot at Auburn he will have to earn it in amazing fashion. I think his personal testimony to any recruits that are torn between AU and Bama could be priceless, give the manipulation he has already experienced. I think the coaches can put him on every recruit they feel like may be on the edge and need that nudge. If I were the coaches I would basically tell him the only way he will be apart of our class in Feb. Is if he is in AU for every major recruiting weekend between now and signing day, unless something with faith, family, school or his HS Football team comes up. If he visits anywhere else or recruits for anyone else he will be sent packing.

Wow kid got bamboozled by Bama was confused and de-committed after initial hype he realized he had been hasty and wants to reconsider. If he was a 5* all the people saying don't give him a second chance would be saying we want him. I believe in second chances and this kid is moving up he is very good player that we can use. Based on the number of DL we say we want we can still get some kids who are currently rated higher and take this kid. Give him another chance but make it clear no more games. Second chance yes third chance no.

Hypothetical situation: You ask a cute girl to prom and she says yes, only to dump you for a CHANCE to go with your worst enemy a few days later. After realizing he's got his pick of any girl in the school, she decides you're probably the "safe bet" and comes crawling back. Would you take her? If so, your sauce is extremely weak. I'd tell her to take a hike, even if I had to take a less attractive girl. AT THE VERY LEAST, I'd make her sweat it out while I searched for a suitable replacement.

And to your comment about the difference between a 3* and 5*.... If the girl is Daniela Osorio, you strongly consider taking her back immediately.

Wow kid got bamboozled by Bama was confused and de-committed after initial hype he realized he had been hasty and wants to reconsider. If he was a 5* all the people saying don't give him a second chance would be saying we want him. I believe in second chances and this kid is moving up he is very good player that we can use. Based on the number of DL we say we want we can still get some kids who are currently rated higher and take this kid. Give him another chance but make it clear no more games. Second chance yes third chance no.

Hypothetical situation: You ask a cute girl to prom and she says yes, only to dump you for a CHANCE to go with your worst enemy a few days later. After realizing he's got his pick of any girl in the school, she decides you're probably the "safe bet" and comes crawling back. Would you take her? If so, your sauce is extremely weak. I'd tell her to take a hike, even if I had to take a less attractive girl. AT THE VERY LEAST, I'd make her sweat it out while I searched for a suitable replacement.

And to your comment about the difference between a 3* and 5*.... If the girl is Daniela Osorio, you strongly consider taking her back immediately.

Wow, I think you just said Auburn is that nerdy guy girls don't want to go out with. Nightmares of my high school days are starting to come back to me.

I don't equate being average to being a nerd. That being said, Auburn is well above average but we don't have the pull that UA does. They've got a better track record and better facilities. It sucks but it's the truth.

In fact, it almost encourages us to shoot first and ask questions later. Nuance has become an inconvenience. Easier to just write a kid off and move on.

...I'm sorry did you say something? I was reloading, and can't hear due to the ringing in my ears.

snapback.pngIronMan70, on Today, 12:08 PM, said:

Sorry guys but I'm going to have to disagree with y'all here. This has AU getting played written all over it imho.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

snapback.pngellitor, on Today, 12:43 PM, said:

I could be wrong but I don't think our staff would be that gullible

==================================================

I don't think they are, or will be. My meaning is, the acknowledgment of getting played (by someone) and allowing it are two different things.

snapback.pngIronMan70, on Today, 12:08 PM, said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

snapback.pngellitor, on Today, 12:43 PM, said:

I could be wrong but I don't think our staff would be that gullible

==================================================

I don't think they are, or will be. My meaning is, the acknowledgment of getting played (by someone) and allowing it are two different things.

Just out of curiosity, is that your preference for addressing other people's quotes, or do you not know how to use the quote feature?

@ Jeff,

No, that's not it, lol. The quote function on my AUF has mysteriously stopped working and the PTB can't figure it out. If I want to quote I have to copy and paste. Quite frankly it's a pain in the keester.

@ Jeff,

No, that's not it, lol. The quote function on my AUF has mysteriously stopped working and the PTB can't figure it out. If I want to quote I have to copy and paste. Quite frankly it's a pain in the keester.

Are you related to Richard Gere?

This ^

I don't think it's "shaming" a guy that was ready to dump on AU for a $puat offer. Sure, you have a conversation, as the coaches are professionals, and tell the recruit that Auburn is a bigger place than one person, and if that person isn't commited 100% then they will be looking for the best players that are. AU is under no obligation to accept his commitment ASAP, especially since it's obvious he isn't 100% on board. I would definetly make him earn it, and in the process he may begin to appreciate it.

What do you think the deal would be if DM DID have a commitable offer from $puat?

I may have completely lost it, but given the QW decomittment and then news of not pursuing MW, I wonder if DM was our own plant? I wonder if they used him to shake the tree in search of what seems to be a yearly occurrence of kids playing us for Bama. Prob not, but timing of all this along with DM still maintaining us as a leader just feels off.

I may have completely lost it, but given the QW decomittment and then news of not pursuing MW, I wonder if DM was our own plant? I wonder if they used him to shake the tree in search of what seems to be a yearly occurrence of kids playing us for Bama. Prob not, but timing of all this along with DM still maintaining us as a leader just feels off.

Lol.....

Lol.....

:)

Archived