2016 3* DE David Marshall (UGA flip 2/3/16)

Auburn4Winners

When a 3 star decommits, I begin to smell something and it concerns me. I don't want to be a chicken little and scream the sky is falling, but coupled with the players that have recently quit, someone needs to sit down with these players and recruits and find out what is the problem. Especially the defensive players and recruits. Maybe I just need some re assurance. Are the new coaches leaning on the players too much? I can't figure that any 3 star player would not want to play for Auburn. Geesh !!

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When a 3 star decommits, I begin to smell something and it concerns me. I don't want to be a chicken little and scream the sky is falling, but coupled with the players that have recently quit, someone needs to sit down with these players and recruits and find out what is the problem. Especially the defensive players and recruits. Maybe I just need some re assurance. Are the new coaches leaning on the players too much? I can't figure that any 3 star player would not want to play for Auburn. Geesh !!

1. Marshall is an excellent prospect -- don't pay so much attention to stars.

2. He has always wanted to play at Bama, they just weren't interested before.

3. With Bama interested, he immediately decomitted from AU.

That's not a problem with the coaching, and it's not necessarily a problem with the recruiting, either. That's a kid who wanted to play for Bama finally getting some love from them. Good for him; good for them; bad for us.

I wish everyone (not you, specifically, mac) would stop crying and bickering and looking for someone to blame.

This is bad, but it's hardly the end of the world.

Finally, a sane thought. Thank you 70.

Right, so he's supposedly scared about all these supposed top DL's committing to Auburn, so he's going to go to Alabama instead? Because Alabama is going to fill their class up with two and three stars by comparison? Oooooook.

That isn't what happened. Its pretty obvious that he's always wanted to go to Alabama. They aren't fully ready to take him which is why he's still throwing out this "Auburn is still my #1" bull****.

metafour is killing it in this thread. Exactly what happened with Marshall. Lupoi was all in Marshall's ear and now looks like uat is holding off on taking his commitment. Still have some guys higher on their board. I hope AU tells Marshall to go, well you know.

The problem with meta's BS on this is that an NFL scout watching our practice pre-season talked about how good blackson looked and how well coached the group was. It wasn't just the combine numbers. That's garbage.

Garner took Ford's game up a level. He helped Blackson work pad level lower, and he absolutely helped Gabe. We just didn't have edge rushers so Wright played out of position at times, and the interior guys could be doubled every snap.

I guaruntee you that as soon as he commits to Bama, he will make a huge jump on the rankings.

uat was not ready to take his commitment yet.

This^^. Plus it is no secret bama is playing with his emotions. They don't want him coming to AU, it's a bear Bryant tactic that is still being used today. These kids need to learn the history of bama's recruiting tactics before they commit to AU.

The problem with meta's BS on this is that an NFL scout watching our practice pre-season talked about how good blackson looked and how well coached the group was. It wasn't just the combine numbers. That's garbage.

Garner took Ford's game up a level. He helped Blackson work pad level lower, and he absolutely helped Gabe. We just didn't have edge rushers so Wright played out of position at times, and the interior guys could be doubled every snap.

I have no problem with RG's coaching ability. But metafour is right about Blackson. Both Blackson & Wright took plays off. That was thier biggest problem.

Pretty good read on how our coaches react to decommittments.

http://www.montgomer...tment/28388623/

Lots of "coach speak" in that article. I'll bet you RG & the AU staff was not very happy that DM decommitted. Especially the way he did right after Big Cat & going to uat. Was some egg on AU's staff face after this.

Pretty good read on how our coaches react to decommittments.

http://www.montgomer...tment/28388623/

Lots of "coach speak" in that article. I'll bet you RG & the AU staff was not very happy that DM decommitted. Especially the way he did right after Big Cat & going to uat. Was some egg on AU's staff face after this.

yeah, that was pretty embarrassing.

WDE, they took plays off. That's not mutually exclusive from saying Garner helped them become better players. Both are true. Blackson didn't make it to the NFL in spite of his coaching and solely based on his physical tools. That's ridiculous.

As for Marshall, it's a long way to the finish line. If he wants to be at Bama, we'll look elsewhere. If he comes back around to Auburn, we'll welcome him. I always find it funny when Bama fans accuse Auburn of "settling" for 3* players then their coaching staff spends a great deal of energy poaching those same players. Reminds me of the Tuberville days when we were just far better at evaluating talent.

snapback.pngmcgufcm, on Today, 09:22 AM, said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

snapback.pngWarDamnEagleWDE, on Today, 09:33 AM, said:

I have no problem with RG's coaching ability. But metafour is right about Blackson. Both Blackson & Wright took plays off. That was thier biggest problem.

===============================================================================

There was no disagreement that Blackson and Wright took plays off. There wasn't even disagreement (reference your previous killing it post) that UAT played a role in DMs decommit. The disagreement was and is about Garner and nothing else. You just spoke to that issue.

I'm late to the party on this one, but I would have thought that you guys could hold down the fort while I spend 8 days in the Caribbean. Am I gonna have to bail and come home to do damage control?

I'm late to the party on this one, but I would have thought that you guys could hold down the fort while I spend 8 days in the Caribbean. Am I gonna have to bail and come home to do damage control?

You're in the Caribbean, and you're on AUFamily? I like it here, but not that much!

You're in the Caribbean, and you're on AUFamily? I like it here, but not that much!

They ran out of Rum so he had to do something.

The problem is that you are attributing all of those things to Garner when in reality players typically improve from Freshmen/Sophomore to Junior/Senior. I know, right? Who would have thought. Blackson; a kid from Delaware who played s*** competition in HS, is bound to make more drastic improvement naturally. Did he improve? Sure, what was he supposed to do? Regress? Did Garner put him into the league? Hell no. He still left Auburn as a highly inconsistent non-starter who never fully realized his immense physical upside, thus to beat your chest about Garner "putting him in the league" is laughable.

My point is simple: any SEC-caliber DL coach could have worked Blackson into the player he left Auburn as. Don't try to talk him up as some case of Garner working his "magic" to turn a non-prospect into an NFL draft pick, when the reality of the situation is that he took a 6'4 320 pound man child who could move and turned him into a decent SEC player who could never maintain play from snap to snap. Yippie. Chalk up another one onto Garner's list of NFL draft picks, alongside the ~15+ other guys who would have been drafted with just about any other competent DL coach behind the wheel.

For the record and at the risk of a total derail, what IS your opinion of Garner as a DL coach and a recruiter.

For the record and at the risk of a total derail, what IS your opinion of Garner as a DL coach and a recruiter.

I think that he's a fairly average DL coach who made a career out of his recruiting ability, which has declined.

So what does Garner get credit for...nothing? So he has been collecting a check for nothing the past 10 years of his career? ..year one the DL played really well with Ford and Lawson on the ends...without those 2 performance across the board was down. Let's see how things work with CWM at the helm, I don't think he would have kept Garner around if he was not up to his standards as a DL coach...jmo

So what does Garner get credit for...nothing? So he has been collecting a check for nothing the past 10 years of his career? ..year one the DL played really well with Ford and Lawson on the ends...without those 2 performance across the board was down. Let's see how things work with CWM at the helm, I don't think he would have kept Garner around if he was not up to his standards as a DL coach...jmo

Well, now I'm worried about our DC. It's obvious he has no idea what a defensive line coach is supposed to do, or how he is supposed to coach. Add that to the fact that Muschamp did not ask one single person on this board their opinion about any of his coaches...... Well, I'm worried about his coaching IQ. ;)

Archived