navy Seals

benjazz

I know that coach Russell has taken 9 players to Cali to train with the Navy Seals. I know from twitter that 2 of the 9 are Coates & G. Wright. Can anyone tell me the other 7. I cant find a list anywhere.

Thanks.

Guest NC1406

That is a good article but unfortunately the military is far behind college athletic departments in providing what is needed to train their special forces groups. Just spoke to two special forces guys this week. Arrived at a new base and were not allowed to swim the length of a pool underwater because of "base regulations". I think the response they gave was "that is stupid but all good, wanted to get in some open water time anyway. Off to the coast this weekend". Just one of many idiotic base rules and lack of resources that these men face as they get prepared to do their job.

That is a good article but unfortunately the military is far behind college athletic departments in providing what is needed to train their special forces groups. Just spoke to two special forces guys this week. Arrived at a new base and were not allowed to swim the length of a pool underwater because of "base regulations". I think the response they gave was "that is stupid but all good, wanted to get in some open water time anyway. Off to the coast this weekend". Just one of many idiotic base rules and lack of resources that these men face as they get prepared to do their job.

You take that example to conclude the military lacks behind college? SPECOPS kill people, college athletics dont. Trust me, they are not lacking in resources.

You take that example to conclude the military lacks behind college? SPECOPS kill people, college athletics dont. Trust me, they are not lacking in resources.

I would actually agree that the military is behind college athletics as far as S&C is concerned. When it comes to mental toughness and training for the job, SOF is second to none. Good news though is that the military is moving more and more toward "sport specific" conditioning which will greatly compliment the mental toughness and tough, realistic training aspects of SOF/Infantry training. I think sending Auburn's players out to train with the SEALs benefits both parties.

You didn't read the article, did you? They are lacking in resources.

Interesting article. The perspective on the Training RnD $$ investment in the military is very good. A few more $$ toward people would be good; taking a perspective like we do with pilots would not cost that much additionally; but would pay back in a big way keeping troops in the line. From my background, it has never been any different; so not a recent occurrence.

I don't read open source articles to form my opinion on resources for SOF / SPECWAR. I know what I know through my experiences.

SPECOPS kill people, college athletics dont.

Insert Bret Bielema joke.

I like this training trip. Good press for the team.

:thumbsup:

Guest NC1406

I don't read open source articles to form my opinion on resources for SOF / SPECWAR. I know what I know through my experiences.

Perhaps I did a poor job in communicating my thoughts. The military does a great job of providing the resources to carry out the missions. IMO the military training does a poor job in transforming a Div 1 defensive end into a sub 6 minute mile runner. The specific training entails "just go run further and faster". Likewise when transforming a runner into someone that can haul a teammate back to safety. Go lift more and get stronger. My observations are on a limited sample size. The individuals in these programs work well with each other to get to the ultimate goals, but I have not heard of a focused plan to get the desired results. Fortunately the people that choose this line of work figure it out. That is what they do.

With all due respect to your service (and I mean that sincerely), your experiences are not the sum total of reality on the subject. The article quotes military people with their own experience stating they don't have as many resources as they want to develop strength & conditioning and nutrition programs to help elite soldiers perform at peak level. It also quotes them as saying their training programs are at the level of a mid-size high school. This trend of military experts visiting elite college programs and vice versa seems to be aimed at helping the military more than helping the colleges. The article is worth your time to read.

AUUSN, thank you for your service. My father and father-in-law both served in the Navy. I have great respect for what you do.

Nice read...

The gist of the report was not what AU can get from Special Force programs, but what Special Force's can garner from other elite sources. This included not only reviewing conditioning techniques from top tier collegiate and pro teams, but rehab methods to help reduce injury, prolong careers, and help shattered folk get back together again.

... too bad some won't read before they post.

With all due respect to your service (and I mean that sincerely), your experiences are not the sum total of reality on the subject. The article quotes military people with their own experience stating they don't have as many resources as they want to develop strength & conditioning and nutrition programs to help elite soldiers perform at peak level. It also quotes them as saying their training programs are at the level of a mid-size high school. This trend of military experts visiting elite college programs and vice versa seems to be aimed at helping the military more than helping the colleges. The article is worth your time to read.

AUUSN, thank you for your service. My father and father-in-law both served in the Navy. I have great respect for what you do.

Thanks and I didnt mean to come off like that. SF / SPECWAR guys will always say they want more, shoot any military person will always scream for more. That's just the way we are built. USSOCOM has a very large budget and has very cool toys as their acquisition processes allow for it. I know for sure the SOF physiological department is locked on but there's always room to learn and improve.

Lacking in certain mechanical training resources, yes, I'm sure. But I think the reason AUUSN said that elite military units such as the SEALs are not lacking in resources goes beyond mere equipment. In fact, I'm not so sure the lack of training resources doesn't help, if only for the mentality of broadening one's resourcefulness. Think Denzel Washington from "Remember the Titans", when the players were doing drills, and he was pushing one of them (Petey, I think) by repeating, "Fourth quarter! Fourth quarter! Fourth quarter!"...except these guys are training to stay alive under the most severe circumstances known to man, not to avoid the ire of their coaches or someday earn millions of dollars.

There's something to be said for even a subtle difference such training can make.

And I, too, would like to thank AUUSN for his service (I don't think I already have, but either way, the regards remain). I have nothing but the utmost respect for our patriots in uniform.

Lacking in certain mechanical training resources, yes, I'm sure. But I think the reason AUUSN said that elite military units such as the SEALs are not lacking in resources goes beyond mere equipment. In fact, I'm not so sure the lack of training resources doesn't help, if only for the mentality of broadening one's resourcefulness. Think Denzel Washington from "Remember the Titans", when the players were doing drills, and he was pushing one of them (Petey, I think) by repeating, "Fourth quarter! Fourth quarter! Fourth quarter!"...except these guys are training to stay alive under the most severe circumstances known to man, not to avoid the ire of their coaches or someday earn millions of dollars.

There's something to be said for even a subtle difference such training can make.

And I, too, would like to thank AUUSN for his service (I don't think I already have, but either way, the regards remain). I have nothing but the utmost respect for our patriots in uniform.

Red you hit the nail pretty much on the head with that...all military units, not just those under JSOC, are taught to do extraordinary things with very little. They are taught to be resourceful because there are plenty of times where a unit will get isolated and have no one to come help them and they have ran out of everything. Mental toughness is something that can turn an average fit person into a machine. If you can honestly make up your mind that you are going to do something then you will be able to do it. Its not about making someone run faster its more about being smarter about what you do and making up your mind you can do it along with lots of teamwork. I saw it several times in the Army where you have a macho type guy who is very physically fit run through an obstacle course and fail only to have someone of average fitness run through like nobodies business all because he had made up his mind he would not fail.

and AUUSN thanks for all the boat rides:) This grunt did appreciate you guys getting our butts into and out of lots of messes lol. although i will say the Army still has more boats than yall do ;D

Nice read...

The gist of the report was not what AU can get from Special Force programs, but what Special Force's can garner from other elite sources. This included not only reviewing conditioning techniques from top tier collegiate and pro teams, but rehab methods to help reduce injury, prolong careers, and help shattered folk get back together again.

that's right.... Military is adjusting their physical training regimen everyday. When I went to basic training in 07 at Benning.... It was push-ups and run til you throw up. My little brother joined the Infantry just like I did and their PT is way different... Tons of 8 count stretches and yoga type stuff along with the normal pushup pyramids and runs ..... I was blown away.

Nice read...

that's right.... Military is adjusting their physical training regimen everyday. When I went to basic training in 07 at Benning.... It was push-ups and run til you throw up. My little brother joined the Infantry just like I did and their PT is way different... Tons of 8 count stretches and yoga type stuff along with the normal pushup pyramids and runs ..... I was blown away.

It changes all the time. When I went to basic it was push-ups, sit ups, 2 mile run PT test with times/numbers based on age. Of course we trained in various ways depending on where you were deployed/which unit you were with.

Red you hit the nail pretty much on the head with that...all military units, not just those under JSOC, are taught to do extraordinary things with very little. They are taught to be resourceful because there are plenty of times where a unit will get isolated and have no one to come help them and they have ran out of everything. Mental toughness is something that can turn an average fit person into a machine. If you can honestly make up your mind that you are going to do something then you will be able to do it. Its not about making someone run faster its more about being smarter about what you do and making up your mind you can do it along with lots of teamwork. I saw it several times in the Army where you have a macho type guy who is very physically fit run through an obstacle course and fail only to have someone of average fitness run through like nobodies business all because he had made up his mind he would not fail.

and AUUSN thanks for all the boat rides:) This grunt did appreciate you guys getting our butts into and out of lots of messes lol. although i will say the Army still has more boats than yall do ;D

No worries brother. The Army has the largest Air Force too.

No worries brother. The Army has the largest Air Force too.

No, they dont.

Nice read...

It changes all the time. When I went to basic it was push-ups, sit ups, 2 mile run PT test with times/numbers based on age. Of course we trained in various ways depending on where you were deployed/which unit you were with.

I was more so just talking the basic training PT regimen but yeah I had that standard APFT test as well. Rumor is, the APFT will include a "functional PT test" based on MOS. Marines have been doing something like that for a while and I think the Infantry shouldve already been doing it. acing the 2 mile run, pushups and sit-ups doesnt mean you are combat ready.

Archived