Men's Basketball Schedule note (updated)

WarTiger

Saw this tweet a few minutes ago: Looks like it might be our Opening game of the season too. National TV game at Colorado will be great exposure.

Justin Hokanson@JHokanson 5m

Pearl confirms #Auburn will play at #Colorado next season. Pearl said, “they’re going to be pretty good."

Justin Hokanson@JHokanson 7m

Bruce Pearl expects #Auburn to play on the opening day of CBB against a top 25 team on the road. ESPN’s marathon day of CBB.

New update: 6/3/2014

Jay G. Tate@JayGTate 31m

Xavier basketball will play at Auburn next season; front end of a home-and-home arrangement.

edit: added 6/12/14

Already facing Texas Tech in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge on Dec. 3, hosting Xavier on Dec. 20, traveling to both Colorado and Clemson, and playing Middle Tennessee, as well, the Tigers will take on Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Nov. 14 and Louisiana-Lafayette on Nov. 21 at home before heading to Las Vegas. Auburn, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Tulsa will play Nov. 24 and 26 in Las Vegas, with the match-ups yet to be determined.

How bout that for motivation ...

"Hey boys, national TV for the world to see - opening night" ... I believe I would practice my butt off to make a statement that first game.

That's great. We've needed to beef up out OOC schedule for years. This is a great start.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. The Xavier pick up is big time. Though he can't recruit players, Pearl is recruiting opponents effectively given his limited timeframe and how poorly we've done the past few years

What we do need to remember is that Barbee got some pretty big OOC games as well over the years.... Played at Iowa State last year, played Illinois at a neutral site and played in the tournament hosted by Hawaii a few years back. His problem was that we'd just get blown out in those games.

What we do need to remember is that Barbee got some pretty big OOC games as well over the years.... Played at Iowa State last year, played Illinois at a neutral site and played in the tournament hosted by Hawaii a few years back. His problem was that we'd just get blown out in those games.

also play a couple of ACC teams too. He was working up to get a better schedule ..beat the ACC schools and gave Illinois a decent game...but the team could not close the deal when they had a chance...year after year. ..Barbee's teams just could not play well the last 5 minutes of a game...and he did not coach well in those situations either I guess.

It's a new day and BP has gotten it done elsewhere so no reason he can't do it at AU too.

also play a couple of ACC teams too. He was working up to get a better schedule ..beat the ACC schools and gave Illinois a decent game...but the team could not close the deal when they had a chance...year after year. ..Barbee's teams just could not play well the last 5 minutes of a game...and he did not coach well in those situations either I guess.

It's a new day and BP has gotten it done elsewhere so no reason he can't do it at AU too.

Oh yeah in no way was this a shot at Pearl and trying to say he is just the same as Barbee, I am thrilled we have him, I just am looking for actually winning these games or at least being in these games down the stretch with Pearl instead of simply saying " we'll I'm satisfied because we are improving our strength of schedule" because I'm not sure it's totally true.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein · 1h

Oklahoma Sta, Tulsa, Oregon St + Auburn will play in a 4 team event @ the MGM Grand on 11/24 + 11/26, source told @CBSSports. Matchups TBD.

With it going over 3 days it could be a round robin where AU plays every team.

Other games I can think of that have been confirmed

@ Texas Tech in the SEC/Big 12 challenge

Middle Tennessee State

Milwaukee-season opener on November 14th (Coach Pearl's former team)

MGM grand tourney during Thanksgiving....well timed. No point in playing a serious opponent in Auburn during the school holidays when so few people are available to see the games.

The team might as well go where someone is paying good money for our participation (ESPN or whoever) or where there is an AU alum base to support the team....like Mobile, Atlanta or Birmingham. Back in the day I saw AU play in the Sugar Bowl basketball tourney in NO which was played the day before the football game....usually good games with good attendance.....so maybe something in Atlanta during the SEC championship?

Original post edited to show the trip to Las Vegas as well. I like what Pearl has done so far....This is going to be fun...

There's some tournament teams in that list. The first year will be rough, but I'd sure like Auburn to be competitive in the SEC again and getting some post-season play. There are a lot of schools out there that are good in both football and BB. It's time Auburn was one of them again.

I like this! It will help this team get better while allowing them to see some new places.

• 2 weeks later...

:-\ guess you want to play UCLA in the Georgia Dome

Hell. I'd settle for your Lobos in the Dome.

Might actually make an AU to Vegas trip. I've been to several events at the MGM arena and, like virtually everyone, have been known to have a pretty good time over there. :)

Might actually make an AU to Vegas trip. I've been to several events at the MGM arena and, like virtually everyone, have been known to have a pretty good time over there. :)/>

I was told I had fun...

• 1 month later...

SCHEDULE UPDATE

Auburn will play at Colorado on November 18th at Midnight Auburn time.

Bruce Pearl said "You're part of an event, you're part of the ESPN marathon and we're a team that wants to be part of that. In trying to get Auburn basketball relevant I think you need to put yourself in these things. That's the method behind the madness."

Auburn is releasing the full schedule some time next week.

Archived