Note on Auburn run-defense

StatTiger

Over the past 22 seasons (1992-2013), 56.1% of the 200-yard rushing games the Auburn defense surrendered, came during the past 5 seasons. That breaks down to 18 such games from 1992-2008 and 23 from 2009-2013.

1992-2008: Auburn defense allowed an average of 121.9 yards rushing per game on 3.49 yards per attempt and a rushing TD every 40.1 attempts.

2009-2013: Auburn defense allowed an average of 162.1 yards rushing per game on 4.36 yards per attempt and a rushing TD every 24.1 carries.

Auburn's National Ranking in Run-defense:

2008: 55th

2009: 78th

2010: 9th

2011: 94th

2012: 100th

2013: 63rd

Hopefully the trend in improvement will continue into 2014. Cracking the top-30 would be nice.

Nice look at things. If the 2014 team is to come close to all the high expectations I've seen posted here, the defense in general and the run defense in particular will have to make a very significant improvement. We had a lot of luck last year, we could have finished the regular season 7-5 or 8-4 with just a changed bounce here and there. That luck is not likely to repeat.

We won't be in Atlanta if we give up +- 30 points in all of our toughest games.

Stay I've heard a lot of posters say that Eliis Johnson's defenses improve his second season as DC, but I've never seen statistical evidence to back it up. Is there any way you could show CEJ's defenses comparitively year 1 to year 2?

Stay I've heard a lot of posters say that Eliis Johnson's defenses improve his second season as DC, but I've never seen statistical evidence to back it up. Is there any way you could show CEJ's defenses comparitively year 1 to year 2?

Last 4 stops as a DC, his defense improved in scoring defense from year #1 to year #2.

Nice look at things. If the 2014 team is to come close to all the high expectations I've seen posted here, the defense in general and the run defense in particular will have to make a very significant improvement. We had a lot of luck last year, we could have finished the regular season 7-5 or 8-4 with just a changed bounce here and there. That luck is not likely to repeat.

We won't be in Atlanta if we give up +- 30 points in all of our toughest games.

Top-5 run-defenses over the past 5 years in the SEC...

Alabama

Florida

LSU

South Carolina

Georgia

Top -5 Win Pct over the past 5 years in the SEC...

Alabama

LSU

South Carolina

Auburn

Florida

Just curious... if you had data on national trend for defensive yards/average per game.... if perhaps teams are scoring more in general. Not to say, that being ranked in lower half wasn't reason enough.

Stat...who were the top 5 offenses over that same 5 years....gotta believe it was the same teams....

Just curious... if you had data on national trend for defensive yards/average per game.... if perhaps teams are scoring more in general. Not to say, that being ranked in lower half wasn't reason enough.

During the 2000 season, FBS teams averaged 154.0 yards rushing per game on 3.90 yards per rush.

During the 2013 season, FBS teams averaged 176.0 yards rushing per game on 4.46 yards per rush.

This is why I compared national rankings rather than averages.

During the 2000 season, FBS teams averaged 154.0 yards rushing per game on 3.90 yards per rush.

During the 2013 season, FBS teams averaged 176.0 yards rushing per game on 4.46 yards per rush.

This is why I compared national rankings rather than averages.

Stat...thanks for the Father's Day present! Love the stats...keep 'em coming during these dog days of summer!

Stat...who were the top 5 offenses over that same 5 years....gotta believe it was the same teams....

Based on YPG...

A&M

Alabama

Missouri

Arkansas

Georgia

Based on YPG...

A&M

Alabama

Missouri

Arkansas

Georgia

...so Georgia had a top 5 offense and defense and didn't win the SEC? :D />

Based on YPG...

A&M

Alabama

Missouri

Arkansas

Georgia

Any of the five years. It'll be ten years since ricth won one after this year. It's why, IMO, he's just a good, not great, coach

Based on YPG...

A&M

Alabama

Missouri

Arkansas

Georgia

I've got UGA family & friends that want him GONE pronto! Richt's been there long enough to get over the hump - they've got the talent in their own back door - UT & FLA have been down, etc.

Archived