Slammin' Sammy vs Duke Williams

Metalsinger418

I'm very excited about our receiving corp this year and I think we might have the best starting duo in SEC!

Who will have more receiving yards at the end of the year? Who will have more TDs by the end of the year? Predictions?

I think Sammy gets more yards but Duke gets more TDs :bananadance:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. If you watch Duke's film it's full of fade routes to the corner of the end zone. He's so aggressive at going up for the ball, quarterbacks can just toss it up one on one and he'll bring it down. Duke can also make some big catches in the open field, but it seemed like last year Sammie just knew where he needed to go to get open. I don't see that changing and it'll probably just be amplified with Duke on the other side.

We'll see. Many people think Duke is a very special player. He might end up with the most yards and TDs before it's all said and done.

tons of big options to throw to in the red zone .. Coates, Williams, and Uzomah ... someone is going to have a mismatch. I think Duke will have more TDs due to some fades close to the endzone, but Sammie will end up with more yards.

glad somebody made this thread...bleacher report has duke as a player facing the a lot of pressure, do you guys think he really has pressure on him? i don't think so because of ole sammie and the rushing attack ahttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/2102663-sec-football-players-facing-the-most-pressure-in-2014?search_query=pressure

glad somebody made this thread...bleacher report has duke as a player facing the a lot of pressure, do you guys think he really has pressure on him? i don't think so because of ole sammie and the rushing attack ahttp://bleacherrepor..._query=pressure

Sammie and Duke are the perfect tandem. Defenses will not be able to double both of them at the same time so he should have more single coverage than he has had in the past.

Sammie is the best WR on this team. Hands down. I thought that before and after D. Williams came aboard. Duke has good hands and is great at using his size/frame to his advantage but he doesn't have the explosive playmaking ability Sammie does. Just look at Duke's JUCO highlight videos on YouTube. He can't run away from people... He doesn't have game breaking speed or elusiveness... And that was against JUCO competition. He is bigger and stronger than the guys covering him and to his credit, he takes full advantage of it. But Sammie is the more electric playmaker and better NFL prospect and has already proven himself against SEC competition.... That is my opinion.

Sammie is the best WR on this team. Hands down. I thought that before and after D. Williams came aboard. Duke has good hands and is great at using his size/frame to his advantage but he doesn't have the explosive playmaking ability Sammie does. Just look at Duke's JUCO highlight videos on YouTube. He can't run away from people... He doesn't have game breaking speed or elusiveness... And that was against JUCO competition. He is bigger and stronger than the guys covering him and to his credit, he takes full advantage of it. But Sammie is the more electric playmaker and better NFL prospect and has already proven himself against SEC competition.... That is my opinion.

Duke can't run away from people? The dude runs a 4.40 40 yard dash. You gotta be joking if you think Duke can't run away from people. I respect your opinion, but it just sounds crazy to say Duke isn't fast.

I will agree that he doesn't appear to be that type of player on his film, but I think that's b/c his QB sucked.

Most of his highlights are balls that are abhorrently under thrown and Duke comes down with it anyway. Kind of hard to make the corner miss when you have to jump through him to get the catch.

I actually think the best option on the team this year will be Marcus Davis, #80. He showed flashes last year and will have all kinds of room in the middle of the field with double safeties over the top for the deep threat. DQ and Sammie are the best decoys in the conference If they can get going early.

I actually think the best option on the team this year will be Marcus Davis, #80. He showed flashes last year and will have all kinds of room in the middle of the field with double safeties over the top for the deep threat. DQ and Sammie are the best decoys in the conference If they can get going early.

I'm going to go with Tony Stevens, #8. Just watch out. Was my favorite receiver recruit in the 13 class. He had to add some weight to be sec ready. We just have a great situation.

I'm really excited about the possibilities this season! I think the combo of Duke and Sammie will be a real headache for opposing defenses, and they're the only group that needs to think in terms of one vs. the other (as in, who do we double?). For us, it's enough -- and a great pleasure -- to think that what either do counts for Auburn.

glad somebody made this thread...bleacher report has duke as a player facing the a lot of pressure, do you guys think he really has pressure on him? i don't think so because of ole sammie and the rushing attack ahttp://bleacherrepor..._query=pressure

No doubt expectations are high, and high expectations create pressure. He is a perfect fit for this offense, though, and I have no doubt he will live up to those expectations.

I agree that Marcus Davis will have a very good year as well. With all the talent coming into the season, somebody who contributed last season is going to be put on the backburner. My guess is Ricardo if he cannot show improved hands. I think Bray will get his because he is a senior leader for the WR corp, and he seems to have developed a knack for finding the big play.

We also have Denson coming back from injury, a very talented freshman who looks physically ready in Truitt, Stevens being expected to step up, and Melvin Ray could be a big sleeper... it's going to be interesting to see how the playing time shakes out for everyone aside from Sammie and Duke.

I could be jumping the gun but as far as physical measurables I don't think anybody is close to touching Sammie.

I think there's been a huge overreaction to Sammie's inflated measurables. I'm not knocking him at all, but I highly doubt that we have a guy who is as fast as anyone in the NFL and can jump as high as Lebron James. That would put him in contention for being one of the greatest athletes in the world, and while he is a great athlete, I'm thinking it's more likely that schools fudge their athletes' numbers a bit.

I say this because I think Williams is at least Sammie's equal, if not better. He's a guy that many analysts are saying has a shot to go in the first round next year. Sammie may as well, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that Duke isn't even close to touching Sammie. I'll be interested to see how they both do at the Combine, but I'll go ahead and say Sammie won't run a 4.2.

In the last two games I've seen auburn play, Melvin Ray has made some nice grabs. Sammie and Duke are the best receivers on the team but I'm looking for number 82 to make his mark this year. Tony Stevens is moving on up as well. Looking for big things from him as well.

Sammie and Duke are both just as talented as the other but they are different types of receivers. Sammie is the deep threat and will flat leave a corner or safety behind with single coverage.

Duke is the quintessential medium route possession receiver. He can also run deep routes of course but that isn't his specialty. Duke gives the QB a bigger target, not only because of his size, but because he will fight for a reception no matter where it is located.

They compliment each other so well its ridiculous and as a tandem has a chance to be the best one in college football this year.

I think there's been a huge overreaction to Sammie's inflated measurables. I'm not knocking him at all, but I highly doubt that we have a guy who is as fast as anyone in the NFL and can jump as high as Lebron James. That would put him in contention for being one of the greatest athletes in the world, and while he is a great athlete, I'm thinking it's more likely that schools fudge their athletes' numbers a bit.

I say this because I think Williams is at least Sammie's equal, if not better. He's a guy that many analysts are saying has a shot to go in the first round next year. Sammie may as well, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that Duke isn't even close to touching Sammie. I'll be interested to see how they both do at the Combine, but I'll go ahead and say Sammie won't run a 4.2.

That's my opinion. I talked about Sammie's athleticism long long before any measurables was posted. I was very impressed because I played intramurals with him in basketball. I posted that long ago and he actually showed it when he caught that hail Mary from KF in 2012. That jump ball nobody was close to six inches as high as him. They had the test or whatever posted over the summer and maybe then some more took note but if duke can out jump Sammie he should be in the Olympics.

Also I saw what Sammie can do in league play so I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt over a guy who hasn't played D1 yet. I actually think people give him way too much hype

I think the addition of Duke Williams creates a "horns of a dilemma" for opposing defenses. It makes us strong everywhere, and defenses won't be able to defend everywhere. "If you defend everywhere, you defend nowhere." They are only going to be able to decide whether they wanna eat the crust or the middle of the crap sandwich first.

I think the addition of Duke Williams creates a "horns of a dilemma" for opposing defenses. It makes us strong everywhere, and defenses won't be able to defend everywhere. "If you defend everywhere, you defend nowhere." They are only going to be able to decide whether they wanna eat the crust or the middle of the crap sandwich first.

I like that.....lol

Sammie and Duke are the perfect tandem. Defenses will not be able to double both of them at the same time so he should have more single coverage than he has had in the past.

exactly how i think it goes,but i just wonder is the percentage going to be like 50% passing 50% running?

I'm really excited about the possibilities this season! I think the combo of Duke and Sammie will be a real headache for opposing defenses, and they're the only group that needs to think in terms of one vs. the other (as in, who do we double?). For us, it's enough -- and a great pleasure -- to think that what either do counts for Auburn.

yep...i would hate to be a db on an opposing team...they gone have them some nightmares before the games ;D

Archived