2014 Fall Practice - Day 7

RunInRed

Coach Ellis Johnson, post practice ...

Ellis Johnson said the team rotated inside and outside between the offense and defense, the defense went outside today.

Johnson: "Tomorrow's a day off which I think is really good for them."

Johnson says FS Derrick Moncrief has been facing a setback after coming down with some sort of bug, sat out much of practice past few days.

Johnson on new dime formation: "We had it last year … we're working 5 DBs and a star safety … It's just a package we want to be available."

Johnson says the team is working to create more of a pass rush given some of the losses already suffered.

Johnson says DL Devaroe Lawrence has missed last few practices after getting injured, has put him behind. Lawrence started practice today.

Johnson said the scrimmage had a main objective to evaluate the complete depth chart, meaning most of the other players.

Johnson identifies frosh LB Tre' Williams as impressive in scrimmage. "He made some typical freshmen mistakes." No. 1 OL took "zero" reps.

Johnson says frosh DBs Markell Boston & Stephen Roberts are impressing, "not ready to play on Saturdays yet but they have three weeks left."

Ellis Johnson says sr. DB Trovon Reed has been dealing with a nagging hamstring injury that has kept him out some.

Johnson says frosh DB Nick Ruffin working some at star and some dime, no work at corner or deep safety yet.

Johnson says Nick Ruffin has a lot of the same skills Robenson Therezie has, making him a good fit at Star.

Johnson said star/LB Justin Garrett suffered an injury today that held him out for a few plays, but it "wasn't anything serious."

@AUBlog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't heard anything about Diamond, know he had surgery in the spring…is he back playing??? With a couple of changes with the line I would think he would be given a shot….

I cringe when I read the words "Justin Garrett" and "injury".

I cringe when I hear the word injury, seems like a lot or they are being cautious

Defensive lineman and junior college transfer Devaroe Lawrence and DeVonte Lambert may find themselves in a rotation with each other, and certainly in the expansive rotating defensive line.

"Obviously, when you bring a junior college player into your program," Johnson said, so "Lambert has had a much better camp so far, just because he's been able to practice every practice.

"Both of them, physically, during the summer, looked as good as our older kids, just moving around, doing drills in t-shirts and agility drills, pass rush drills of that nature, they've got great skill, they've got great talent for their position."

Defensive back Jonathan Jones was limited last year because of a preseason injury. Now, "We look at J.J. as a starter," Ellis said.

http://www.auburntig.../080714aab.html

Seems were not hearing alot about our new JUCO's, other than Duke...

Defensive lineman and junior college transfer Devaroe Lawrence and DeVonte Lambert may find themselves in a rotation with each other, and certainly in the expansive rotating defensive line.

There some info. ;)

Me too. especially with the player who shall not be named current rumored status

:dunno:/> Send PM?

RT and its just a rumor for now

The interesting thing to me about Justin is how long it took the med staff to discover he needed orthopedics to correct the step flaw that was contributing significantly to his stress fractures. That's often the first thing checked when a heavy human gets a stress fracture. He shouldn't be having that issue any more. 'Course football's a potpourri of injury opportunities...

No player suspended six games would be getting 1st team reps IMO. The only reason it keeps showing up is the above.

+1

Garner said the biggest challenge right now for his line is finding that 3rd-down pass rusher. He thinks Gabe Wright is a good 1st/2nd end.

One name that has jumped out in the pass rusher battle has been middle linebacker Cassanova McKinzy, who played that role in high school.

Who is a freshman that stands out to Rodney Garner? DT Dontavius Russell, who looks like "a really good SEC player" at a position of depth.

Cornerbacks coach Melvin Smith said senior Jonathon Mincy coached the young players this summer. Their technique is now "manicure" level.

Smith said the defense only missed four tackles in Wednesday's scrimmage, which was pleasing to him.

Smith on recruiting longer CBs: "Patrick Peterson…Richard Sherman…Joe Haden…Darrell Revis. That is our standard for a player."

Offensive line coach J.B. Grimes on Braden Smith: "He might be in the 99.9th percentile with what he's got as a freshman."

More Grimes on Braden Smith: "He's done some things in our first eight practices that no one else has done."

Running backs coach Tim Horton: "We feel like we've got five really good 'cards' to play this year. They each give us something different."

Dameyune Craig on Gus Malzahn: "Sometimes he'll call a play and say, 'Ready to score a TD?' Then we'll do it, and I'm like, 'Oh my God.'"

Craig on Stanton Truitt: "He started calling Marcus Davis his big brother this spring at slot. I told him, 'Listen: He's still a freshman.'"

@JFergusonAU

Its great to hear about the Freshmen that are performing well. Excited to here about Roberts and Boston looking good so early in camp. This last signing class had some good looking DBs in it and glad to hear they came in ready to go. Surprised to hear of Griffin playing at star. That position is just hard to get a read on. We know have 2 former corners and a former LB playing that spot. Let the arguments continue as to what that position really is!! I'm worried but not surprised about moving players around to get more pass rush. We all knew that took a major hit when Lawson went down so this just confirms what we knew. I hope we don't have to blitz to bring pressure but I hope we do blitz some to bring pressure. I must say though that the idea of moving Cass to end on passing plays and bringing in another DB sounds like a great way to get some speed on the edge.

Sounds like Braden is going to be tough to keep off the field this year. Love to hear we have another option on the OL Outside of Danzey I wasn't sure we had a second OG ready to go.

Its great to hear about the Freshmen that are performing well. Excited to here about Roberts and Boston looking good so early in camp. This last signing class had some good looking DBs in it and glad to hear they came in ready to go. Surprised to hear of Griffin playing at star. That position is just hard to get a read on. We know have 2 former corners and a former LB playing that spot. Let the arguments continue as to what that position really is!! I'm worried but not surprised about moving players around to get more pass rush. We all knew that took a major hit when Lawson went down so this just confirms what we knew. I hope we don't have to blitz to bring pressure but I hope we do blitz some to bring pressure. I must say though that the idea of moving Cass to end on passing plays and bringing in another DB sounds like a great way to get some speed on the edge.

Sounds like Braden is going to be tough to keep off the field this year. Love to hear we have another option on the OL Outside of Danzey I wasn't sure we had a second OG ready to go.

YOU SAID GRIFFIN AND YOU MEANT RUFFIN!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Dameyune Craig on Gus Malzahn: "Sometimes he'll call a play and say, 'Ready to score a TD?' Then we'll do it, and I'm like, 'Oh my God.'"

@JFergusonAU

I don't care if this is just a joke or not. I love that Auburn has a high powered offense.

@JFergusonAU

I don't care if this is just a joke or not. I love that Auburn has a high powered offense.

I almost gave that one its own thread, lol

Dontavious Russell might be a force this year in a backup role. Don't sleep on him while people on the other thread are begging for DT's.

Dontavious Russell might be a force this year in a backup role. Don't sleep on him while people on the other thread are begging for DT's.

Are folks concerned about DTs this year? Hope not. (A lot of us are, however, concerned about DTs in the current recruiting cycle. Happy to discuss further over in Recruiting.)

EDIT: Agree with you about Russell, now that Coach Garner said so, lol. Hope A. Williams is doing well over at DE, too, but Garner's looking hard over there and we haven't heard his name much.

Archived