Why are we having a problem getting a pass rush????

tigerman1186

Fsu game their nose tackle was beating Dismukes pretty bad in the second half and messed up several of our drives. Also fsu could blitz more because their secondary had 3 nfl players on it they could afford to leave corners one on one. We can't yet

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson have played inconsistently inside.

Our DEs are not as fast and athletic as Ford and Lawson, nor are they consistent.

I think it comes down to those two things. CEJ's 4-2-5 depends on solid, consistent line play.

Notice for a while our dime package went from a 4-1-6 double Star to a 3-2-6 with McKinsey shifting to an outside speed rusher.

We need Lawson to get healthy, then we need to recruit a few more Mo Adams and Carl Lawsons.

I'm a big fan of the 4-2-5. I don't know much but to me, anything that is a little different than what the rest are implementing is good.

I feel like we have an innovative defense that is a nice compliment to our offense but our boys are not quite getting the rush we saw last year. Gabe Wright where are you?

A sack is a sack whether by D-line or somebody else. Ole-Miss has 18 and some of those are by linebackers also.

A sack is not a sack. The fact that essentially half of ours are from non-DL players shows that we are relying on blitzing to get to the quarterback, essentially because we significantly lack a real edge rush off the line. Ole Miss' Marquis Haynes has as many sacks as our entire DL does combined. Of Ole Miss' 18 total sacks, 15 are by defensive linemen. Surely you can see the drastic difference in that. They don't have a single DB with even a half-sack....you know why? Because they aren't dependent on having to send DB's to try to get after the QB. Sacks from the DL are worth more because they allow your LBs and DBs to play coverage, you're gaining men on the field.

A sack is a sack whether by D-line or somebody else. Ole-Miss has 18 and some of those are by linebackers also.

A sack is not a sack. The fact that essentially half of ours are from non-DL players shows that we are relying on blitzing to get to the quarterback, essentially because we significantly lack a real edge rush off the line. Ole Miss' Marquis Haynes has as many sacks as our entire DL does combined. Of Ole Miss' 18 total sacks, 15 are by defensive linemen. Surely you can see the drastic difference in that. They don't have a single DB with even a half-sack....you know why? Because they aren't dependent on having to send DB's to try to get after the QB. Sacks from the DL are worth more because they allow your LBs and DBs to play coverage, you're gaining men on the field.

I hope our d-line shows out this week. Ole Miss is ranked 85th in sacks allowed and aTm is ranked 61st.

Probably due to the amount of passes vs the run.

USCe is 39th for comparisons.

I watch the game again on DVR and our left DE was not agressively after the QB on every play. Many plays he didn't even rush fast enough to stay in contact with a retreating OT. I would move CM from MLB to DE and put someone on the other DE that has quickness and foot speed.

Your thoughts..............

College pass rushing (in other than a stunting or corner blitz scenario) is a mindset. Mean, dirty & manic leg drive is paramount at this level. Some of the best all time college rushers had sloppy, sloppy technique...which showed when they didn't make it for long in the pros. But they were strong as ox's and had an anger all game long. Spin, fight and be reckless. Garner IS one of the best at what he does but he has a quandry: teach young guys (and guys new to the rotation) technique but risk them concentrating on technique at the expense of being reckless, fighting, assuming double teams.

fwiw, I think we're about to see our statement game on D. These guys were heros in high school and Spurrier's 4th & 8 conversions on his own side of the field with 9 minutes still to go called them out on national TV. Garner will ride that.

College pass rushing (in other than a stunting or corner blitz scenario) is a mindset. Mean, dirty & manic leg drive is paramount at this level. Some of the best all time college rushers had sloppy, sloppy technique...which showed when they didn't make it for long in the pros. But they were strong as ox's and had an anger all game long. Spin, fight and be reckless. Garner IS one of the best at what he does but he has a quandry: teach young guys (and guys new to the rotation) technique but risk them concentrating on technique at the expense of being reckless, fighting, assuming double teams.

fwiw, I think we're about to see our statement game on D. These guys were heros in high school and Spurrier's 4th & 8 conversions on his own side of the field with 9 minutes still to go called them out on national TV. Garner will ride that.

Ole Canuck with some love for the D!

:nanner:

:big:

Hope ur right, I just want some defense, not asking much, just some tough, hardnosed, tuberville, dye- type defense, PLEASE!! If not, leave cej in Oxford

He still has half a year left to make it right, but I think Gabe Wright should apologize to Nick Fairley for his signing day hat. He placed those expectations on himself, and as Jesse Palmer said, he looks unblockable one play then disappears for the next 10. I really thought Gabe was turning the corner last year. Maybe his attempt to lose weight and play on the edge screwed his inside game up, which is what some were suggesting when the reports started surfacing. The Chiz staff certainly did him no favors in terms of development, though.

Most observers seem to agree that Ellis is not the problem. As far as longing for a Tuberville-style defense, remember there were still some terrible defensive performances (like every single Ark. game) and then his offense couldn't dig out of the hole. So there is a trade-off. At least we can outscore most teams now.

Back to an earlier question- Does anyone know why we haven't pulled the redshirts from Thornton or A. Williams? I'm sure they needed to add bulk... but I'm pretty sure they are already bigger than B. King. Seems like pass rush is a 911 emergency for this defense right now so why not give them a shot unless they are injured.

For what it's worth, which may be nothing, when watching Auburn defensive line play I see:

A tendency to hold the line instead of penetrating as though the d-line is pass blocking.

Very little aggressive movement in arms and shoulders.

Very few hands up as the QB is passing.

Occasional attempts to skirt the pass blocking which doesn't work because they are woefully too slow.

Rest-break downs where little effort is made to do more than hold position in case of a run.

To me, it looks like there are conditioning, technique and motivational factors here - aspects that might be improved upon even if they aren't 5-star players. Michigan State has a solid d-line. Are their players bigger or better? KState? Ole Miss?

I still stand behind the suggestion I made the other day. Call the Great Kevin Greene and have him put on a clinic for the line and LBs. Teach them something new and get them excited about the challenges they're facing.

For what it's worth, which may be nothing, when watching Auburn defensive line play I see:

A tendency to hold the line instead of penetrating as though the d-line is pass blocking.

Very little aggressive movement in arms and shoulders.

Very few hands up as the QB is passing.

Occasional attempts to skirt the pass blocking which doesn't work because they are woefully too slow.

Rest-break downs where little effort is made to do more than hold position in case of a run.

To me, it looks like there are conditioning, technique and motivational factors here - aspects that might be improved upon even if they aren't 5-star players. Michigan State has a solid d-line. Are their players bigger or better? KState? Ole Miss?

I still stand behind the suggestion I made the other day. Call the Great Kevin Greene and have him put on a clinic for the line and LBs. Teach them something new and get them excited about the challenges they're facing.

Best post yet^^

I sure hope our d line coach is reading these posts. And I sure hope we're not paying him more than minimum wage. God knows we have experts that can coach for free. And recruit, too!

We are having a problem with pass rush because Carl Lawson is hurt and Dee Ford is gone. We currently do not have the DEs to get it done. Hopefully Adams can blow up the middle occasionally, but unless someone steps up at the DE position we are going to have a tough time getting consistent pressure without taking a lot of risks with blitzes.

Kevin Greene would be awesome to have on staff

Yeah, he would. Didn't he recently move back to the Auburn area? Do we need to crowdsource the $$$ for a new Aggression Coordinator position?

I watch the game again on DVR and our left DE was not agressively after the QB on every play. Many plays he didn't even rush fast enough to stay in contact with a retreating OT. I would move CM from MLB to DE and put someone on the other DE that has quickness and foot speed.

Your thoughts..............

CM as in NOVA?

Lets try Anthony Swain first and let Nova cover the field.

WHy not put Garrett on the end on some plays and still have Frost and Nova as LBs with Therezie at star?

Why not put Garrett at linebacker and the bigger Nova at DE/LB Hybrid? Or as bama calls it the Jack

Archived