Oxford...Who has been?

Ravad

This may be a little off subject, BUT...

I won't be making a trip to Oxford until the next time, but I will be making my first trip to Baton Rouge next year...

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated...Should I drive/fly?...Any must see items?

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not so sure Oxford is the number 1 road trip. However, it is a good place to have fun. Most fans are fine. Nothing like LSU and some of the other turd plunkers in the SEC.

This may be a little off subject, BUT...

I won't be making a trip to Oxford until the next time, but I will be making my first trip to Baton Rouge next year...

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated...Should I drive/fly?...Any must see items?

Thanks

Well New Orleans is close enough to stay there and drive up. Nothing "must-see" in Baton Rouge, but I've never had a problem with their fans. As long as you are cool, can take a little ribbing, and are there to party, they are usually pretty great people to tailgate with. Also, depends on where you live for drive/fly. It's honestly an easy drive from Montgomery/Auburn (about 5-6 hours), so that's what I would do.

If it's a day game, you can always consider driving back to Biloxi (about 2 hours) and staying/gambling there too.

Worst road trip I've ever made. Campus OK, The Grove is a Trash Dump. Parking is non existent for anyone but an Ole Miss fan. Nobody knows anything if you have a question, they open a notebook and read it or hand you a piece of paper, no wonder they are last in everything.

I went. Parked on the other side of the square. Made an easy walk to the grove. Had a blast with a mix of Ole Miss grads and an old friend from Auburn, and loved it. The Grove is wonderful. It's everything Auburn hopes tent city will become.

How does Ole Miss get ranked so high in game day experience? The Grove? We have 5 groves. You can't cook in the grove, no bbq, hot dogs, steaks, chicken, etc. it has to be catered. That stinks. The stadium is awful. Two portals for 7000 people, one crapper per sex, two kiosks that ran out of pretzels in the 3rd quarter, and you get drinks and shells rained upon you while you are in line at the way overcrowded bathroom.

Grade C at best.

No place sucks worse than Baton Rouge though.

How does Ole Miss get ranked so high in game day experience? The Grove? We have 5 groves. You can't cook in the grove, no bbq, hot dogs, steaks, chicken, etc. it has to be catered. That stinks. The stadium is awful. Two portals for 7000 people, one crapper per sex, two kiosks that ran out of pretzels in the 3rd quarter, and you get drinks and shells rained upon you while you are in line at the way overcrowded bathroom.

Grade C at best.

No place sucks worse than Baton Rouge though.

I agree, Vaught-Hemingway is the worst venue in the SEC. It absolutely earns the "Port-A-Vaught" nickname. I would even rank Vandy and UK above Ole Miss as far as stadiums are concerned. At least UK is improving Commonwealth Stadium, and Vandy did some upgrades while Franklin was there.

You guys think Vandy and Kentucky have better stadiums?!?!? Either you've never been there or you're forgetting the experience. Vandy is a high school stadium. No kidding. It looks and feels like a big high school stadium. No better. No worse. Kentucky is clean but awful. There's not one positive, noteworthy thing to say about Commonwealth Stadium. At least Vaught-Hemingway is nestled down in the trees and looks amazing. If that's all it had, it would be better than Kentucky.

And anyone that hates Baton Rouge and Tiger Stadium hates fun, food, tradition, pageantry, and general good times. I have no words.

You guys think Vandy and Kentucky have better stadiums?!?!? Either you've never been there or you're forgetting the experience. Vandy is a high school stadium. No kidding. It looks and feels like a big high school stadium. No better. No worse. Kentucky is clean but awful. There's not one positive, noteworthy thing to say about Commonwealth Stadium. At least Vaught-Hemingway is nestled down in the trees and looks amazing. If that's all it had, it would be better than Kentucky.

And anyone that hates Baton Rouge and Tiger Stadium hates fun, food, tradition, pageantry, and general good times. I have no words.

Agree with you 100% on every point here. Also, Vaught-Hemingway is surprisingly loud for a smaller stadium.

Also, that same person must hate whiskey. It's impossible to hate those places and still love whiskey. Hating whiskey makes me sad.

Also, that same person must hate whiskey. It's impossible to hate those places and still love whiskey. Hating whiskey makes me sad.

And they also must hate beautiful women. Its impossible to hate the grove and still love beautiful women. Hating beautiful women makes ME sad.

:bow:

And they also must hate beautiful women. Its impossible to hate the grove and still love beautiful women. Hating beautiful women makes ME sad.

;) It's getting creepy.

3036183-inline-i-2-watch-rob-lowe-get-really-ugly-and-super-creepy.jpg

;) It's getting creepy.

3036183-inline-i-2-watch-rob-lowe-get-really-ugly-and-super-creepy.jpg

HAHAHA!!! I truly LOL'd there...

Agreed, having been to them all.

I went to the game Saturday and had a great time. I guess some fans are just higher class than some of us lol.

But seriously, keep in mind that Ole Miss doesn't have a history of being as good as they are this year. People are going to show up. It was the 3rd largest crowd in OM history for a football game. Things are not gonna be perfect.

Gotta disagree with you there. Felt like I was about to get in a fight the entire time I was around the stadium. I was a student at the time, so maybe I was in the wrong places. Although I did have an apparently well-heeled older gentleman yell at me to "take that f***in' Auburn hat off" and throw his drink at me from about 5 rows up. I hadn't said a word or so much as clapped for a good Auburn thing. All I'd done was walk out of the breezeway into the wrong section of the stadium.

I did have a good time at the bars, except when some friends of the friends we were visiting invited us out to a party in the woods. It was a handful of pretty big dudes. The girls they were with said, "What party are y'all talkin' about?" We declined and went to a different bar.

The food, the women and the whiskey are all that they are said to be. The hospitality that they are so famous for did not reveal itself to me on my one visit. Baton Rouge, beyond the campus, is a giant sh**hole.

Edit: Or at least it was 20 (gulp) years ago.

Auburn has just as many Beautiful co-eds, maybe more, the only difference being at Auburn they at least stay beautiful after they get older!

Auburn has just as many Beautiful co-eds, maybe more, the only difference being at Auburn they at least stay beautiful after they get older!

Hey, no disagreement there brother. I should know, I married one!

Same. Auburn women are wonderful.

McLoofus, I'm sad you had a crummy time in Baton Rouge. I hate going because I've never seen us win a game there (multiple trips), but I always enjoy my time in Baton Rouge. I have to admit, I like a good seedy underbelly though. NOLA is great. Brooklyn beats Manhattan. Barcelona is better than Paris. That's just my style.

Same. Auburn women are wonderful.

McLoofus, I'm sad you had a crummy time in Baton Rouge. I hate going because I've never seen us win a game there (multiple trips), but I always enjoy my time in Baton Rouge. I have to admit, I like a good seedy underbelly though. NOLA is great. Brooklyn beats Manhattan. Barcelona is better than Paris. That's just my style.

Hmm. Maybe we've identified the discrepancy. I went in '93, and we kicked their butts all day long.

LOVE NOLA (my wife did grad school there). Even loved my brief stay in Thibodaux. Just don't remember BR as fondly. To be honest, I probably let a small sampling of bad things- the aforementioned events at the game, as well as several later conversations I've had with their fans- cloud my assessment. Well, that and the Southern Comfort. My God, there was so much Southern Comfort. And a 42 year old woman. I was 18. Okay, I take it back. I love Baton Rouge.

Btw, if we ever cross paths in Brooklyn, then it sounds like there's a damn good time to be had.

Hey, no disagreement there brother. I should know, I married one!

THAT was well played sir. I assume she's standing over your shoulder as you type? ;)

Archived