Smoking Gun Lie of Obamacare, Three Times a Charm

Elephant Tipper

Jonathan Gruber explains how Obamacare is based on lies the Obama administration created in order to deceive the public into accepting the law.

In other words, "America, we believe you're too stupid to accept Obamacare as we explained it so we're going to lie to you until you do."

JG, MIT economist, Obamacare architect: http://en.wikipedia....uber_(economist)

I'm a bit surprised there has been no comment on this video which is shell shocking. I assume that either no one watched it or didn't pay attention to the words because they reveal the Democrats deceit in passing Obamacare, which Republicans kept telling the public.

On this video Gruber has admitted the deceit of Obamacare, which he helped design, that was argued before the Supreme Court in support of the law. Obamacare will be returning to the Supreme Court this coming summer for further arguments. Very likely the information which Gruber revealed in this video, repeated in others, will be taken into consideration.

Here is the video transcript:

"You can't do it politically, you just literally can't do it Transparent financing, [garbled] transparent spending, this bill was written in a tortured way to make sure CBO did not score the mandate as taxes. If [Congressional Budget Office] scored the mandate as taxes, the bill dies. Okay, so it’s written to do that. In terms of risk-rated subsidies, if you had a law which said that healthy people are going to pay in -– you made explicit that healthy people pay in and sick people get money — it would not have passed… Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter, or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass. And it’s the second-best argument. Look, I wish Mark was right that we could make it all transparent, but I’d rather have this law than not." J.Gruber

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/392416/jonathan-grubers-many-efforts-deceive-american-people-veronique-de-rugy

Jonathan Gruber’s Many Efforts to Deceive the American People

You may remember that one of the key minds behind Obamacare, MIT professor Jonathan Gruber, was pretty sure that Obamacare subsidies couldn’t be distributedunless it happened through a state exchange . . . until he wasn’t. (That legal theory will be put to the test soon since the Supreme Court has agreed on Friday to hear the challenge.)

Well, Gruber is back in the news today regarding an admission he made about the efforts that went into obscuring the nature of Obamacare in order to sell it to the American public:

Mr. Gruber clearly needs to be more careful about what he says, but he also doesn’t seem to understand the American people all that well: Even with the lack of information, the American people has never really liked the law, and they certainly became increasingly unfavorable as they experienced it firsthand.

As I wrote a few months ago, Gruber’s deception is nothing new:

This is also the same Gruber who said in January that Obamacare wasn’t designed to save money, even calling the idea that savings were a “misleading motivator” for Obamacare. This was after he
very
actively promoted
the deficit-reducing side of the law before it was adopted and called Obamacare “a historic and cost-effective step in the right direction” toward saving our health-care cost problems. He’s also the guy whose work was used to
create the appearance of a consensus
among health economists about the ACA, without revealing that he was a paid contractor.

Public-opinion-on-ACA.jpg

Why are the libs here not weighing in on this? Hmmmmmmm

Another video of Gruber calling voters "stupid" surfaces, only hours after explaining in his appearance on MSNBC that "he spoke off the cuff" in the first video. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Obamacare’s Jonathan Gruber caught on second tape calling voters ‘too stupid’

Just hours after Obamacare architect Jonathan Gruber said sorry for referring to the “stupidity of the American voter,” a second video surfaced of him saying essentially the same thing on a different occasion — once again calling the U.S. electorate “stupid.”

Fox News’icon1.png Megyn Kelly played the clip on “The Kelly File,” right after she showed Mr. Gruber talking on “Ronan Farrow Daily” on MSNBC and apologizing for his earlier remarks.

“But now tonight,” Ms. Kelly said, The Daily Caller reported, “more video has surfaced showing this was not the first time Mr. Gruber called the American people stupid in an ‘off-the-cuff’ remark.”

Ms. Kelly introduced her next clip as hailing from last year, at a time whenMr. Gruber was explaining how Democrats tinkered with Obamacare language to make sure that it passed congressional and court muster.

The five-second clip showed Mr. Gruber saying Obamacare passed in part because “the American people are too stupid to understand the difference,” he said, the video revealed.

The video seems to be from a lecture that Mr. Gruber delivered at Washington Universityicon1.png in St. Louis in October 2013, called the “Cost of health Care,” The Daily Caller said. In the 31-minute session, Mr. Gruberwas talking about the dubbed “Cadillac tax” of Obamacare that increased the amount those with high-end insurance packages had to pay.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/12/obamacares-jonathan-gruber-caught-on-second-tape-c/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/12/politics/gruber-obamacare-third-video/index.html

Third video emerges of Obamacare architect insulting voters

Washington (CNN) -- A third video emerged Wednesday of MIT economist Jonathan Gruber, one of the architects of the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, insulting voters and suggesting their ignorance was exploited by those pushing passage of the health care law.

Neither the White House nor Gruber would comment.

In this one, Gruber was discussing how then-Sen. John Kerry, D-Massachusetts, pushed forward a way to add a tax on expensive health insurance plans, or "Cadillac Plans," that would purportedly tax the insurance companies though Gruber suggests everyone knew the companies would just pass on the additional cost to customers.

"It's a very clever, you know, basic exploitation of the lack of economic understanding of the American voter," Gruber said at the Honors Colloquium 2012 at the University of Rhode Island.

The moment is at about 29:25 in this video. The video was first reported by The Daily Caller.

Over the weekend, media first became aware of a video of Gruber making a similar remark -- that the unintelligent voters were hoodwinked by those pushing passage of Obamacare, which was in his view for the good.

That video, from the University of Pennsylvania in 2013 (which you can see here) featured Gruber saying, "If you had a law which said healthy people are going to pay in -- if you made it explicit that healthy people pay in and sick people get money, it would not have passed, OK? Just like how people -- transparent -- lack of transparency is a huge advantage. And basically, you know, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever. But basically that was really, really critical to getting the thing to pass."

Gruber said he wished "we could make it all transparent. But I'd rather have this law than not."

Asked for reaction to the video, Senator-elect Thom Tillis, R-NC, told The Lead that it sounded like Gruber was arguing that "the ends justify the means...That is exactly what the American people are tired of. They want transparency. They want to be treated with respect. We did a lot of very difficult bills since I've been speaker of the house (of the North Carolina legislature). Some of them were controversial on both sides of the ideological spectrum. But we took the time to explain it to people and not do this sort of bob and weave."

On Tuesday, Gruber went on MSNBC to offer a mea culpa. "I was speaking off the cuff and I spoke inappropriately, and I regret making those comments," he said.

But then more videos emerged. Last night, Megyn Kelley on Fox News showed another excerpt of a Gruber lecture, this from Washington University at St. Louis in 2013, where he said "they proposed it and that passed, because the American people are too stupid to understand the difference."

The videos were documented over the course of the last year by Rich Weinstein, an investment adviser who became interested in the origins of the law after the price of insurance for his family doubled. Weinstein tells CNN he has many more videos in his collection.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/12/howard-dean-obamacare-put-together-by-elitists-who/

Howard Dean: Obamacare put together by ‘elitists’ who don’t understand the American people

Former Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said Wednesday that Obamacare was put together by “elitists” who don’t understand the American people.

Mr. Dean was responding to recently-publicized remarks by one of the law’s architects talking about how a lack of transparency and the “stupidity” of the American people helped pass the law.

“The problem is not that he said it. The problem is that he thinks it. I’m serious. The core problem under the damn law is that it was put together by a bunch of elitists who don’t really fundamentally understand the American people. That’s what the problem is,” Mr. Dean said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

In remarks made last year that have recently surfaced online, MIT professor Jonathan Gruber said the bill was written in a “tortured” way to ensure the Congressional Budget Office didn’t score the law’s individual mandate as a tax, though the Supreme Court ultimately upheld the mandate as constitutional under Congress’s taxing power anyway.

“If CBO scored the mandate as taxes, the bill dies. OK, so it’s written to do that,” Mr. Gruber said.

“In terms of risk-rated subsidies, if you had a law which said healthy people are going to pay in — you made explicit that healthy people pay in and sick people get money — it would not have passed,” Mr. Grubercontinued. “Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter, or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical to get the thing to pass.”

Mr. Gruber walked back those remarks on Tuesday, though more videosof the professor expounding on the law are now surfacing.

Republicans are pouncing on the remarks as fresh ammunition against the law. Sen. John Barrasso, Wyoming Republican, on Wednesday called them “very offensive.”

“It confirms people’s greatest fear about the government,” Mr. Barrasso said on “Fox and Friends.” “We knew it was written in a way that was really deliberately written to deceive the American people. And now people are paying the price.”

Pelosi can't hide from Gruber fast enough: http://news.firedoglake.com/2014/11/13/nancy-pelosi-claims-not-to-know-who-jonathan-gruber-is-cited-him-on-her-website-in-09/

EXCERPT:

After MIT economist and consultant Jonathan Gruber was revealed on video to have said selling Obamacare involved being dishonest and that American voters were stupid it is not surprising that elected officials are trying to distance themselves from him. Gruber was a consultant on the Affordable Care Act or “Obamacare” and his analysis was used to argue in favor of the bill so, unfortunately for them, there is an archived history of Gruber’s association with many members of Congress including leadership.

Enter House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi who reportedly claimed not to know who Gruber was and said he did not help write the bill at a weekly press briefing.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) sought Thursday to distance herself and her caucus from Jonathan Gruber, the economist who has caused a stir with comments that seemed to suggest the federal health-care law was created in a deceptive way.“I don’t know who he is. He didn’t help write our bill,” she told reporters at her weekly briefing.

Congressional Republicans have raised the possibility they could call Gruber to testify about his remarks. Gruber, who helped the Obama administration craft the Affordable Care Act, said last year the “stupidity of the American voter” and a “lack of transparency” over the way it is funded were advantages in the passage of the law. The comments only recently received widespread public attention.

If Pelosi honestly doesn’t know who he is, she should. Gruber was cited by name on Nancy Pelosi’s own leadership website as part of a “mythbusting” campaign in 2009. The claim that Gruber did not write the bill is also problematic as he has been publicly cited as helping write at least parts of the law. Gruber was also consulted on the Massachusetts law which Obamacare is largely based on – aka “Romneycare.”

Trying to pretend Gruber had no part in crafting Obamacare or that you have never heard of him despite considerable evidence to the contrary does sound like someone who is relying on a lack of transparency and the stupidity of the American voter – doesn’t it?

I wonder how our Obama sycophants on the forum feel about being called stupid and duped into supporting the bill?

I am going to try and show some class here.

I saw a need for Nationalized Healthcare back in about 2006. My co-workers were just getting killed by bad policies and over priced deductibles. Pre-Existings were turning my friends and loved ones into lepers. So i saw the need and supported the idea. Having said all that, PPACA is an astonishingly poorly written bill. It takes ludicrous steps to afford that DC has overall control. The 27 new administrations were just amazingly bad policy and each and everyone will be a source of political corruption and general DC hanky-panky for the rest of time.

The PPACA is a turkey. The "you can keep your plan/doctor" stuff was an in your face lie. If your plan did not meet the new mandated criteria, you were obviously going to lose your plan. That is obvious to the most casual observer WITH A BRAIN IN THEIR HEAD. The "Its not going to add one cent to the national debt" meme is just as ludicrous. The managers of the worst roll-out in forever, the same people that took a $50-100M portal and ran it to a reportedly $2BN+ costs are not going to ever manage to do that. The idea that it was not a tax...well Roberts was correct. It is a tax. They knew it was a tax from the beginning and they sought to cover that fact up. "We are going to save each American Family $2300.00" if you drop some acid and squint your eyes just right... Folks, to get the bill to nbe revenue nuetral, they had to combine it with a $200M ripoff of Medicare and a $200M fuzzy math rework of the Student Loan Program.

10 years from now, after it is fixed by someone, it will become a hallowed part of American culture. At this moment, it is a politically expedient way of pushing GOOD IDEA wrapped in a bad plan down the throats of all Americans. The true believing sycophants here and across America are hearing the words of Gruber and they know now that they were lied to, conned, mislead, etc. These Elitists are having their collective wings clipped and they know it. They are going to be extolled as the "stupid" voters from now on. They cannot claim superiority in the debate any longer because they are now widely shown by the educated class to be the " NOW ACKNOWLEDGED LOW INFORMATION VOTERS." These people are getting what they deserve. They knew at some level this was all BS. The Idea is sound. It is a great IDEA. PPACA was a horrible plan shoved down everyone's throats for the sake of expediency and will go down as a hallmark in why we do not want the US Fed Govt doing big things all at once.

I wonder how our Obama sycophants on the forum feel about being called stupid and duped into supporting the bill?

I saw a need for Nationalized Healthcare back in about 2006. My co-workers were just getting killed by bad policies and over priced deductibles. Pre-Existings were turning my friends and loved ones into lepers. So i saw the need and supported the idea. Having said all that, PPACA is an astonishingly poorly written bill. It takes ludicrous steps to afford that DC has overall control. The 27 new administrations were just amazingly bad policy and each and everyone will be a source of political corruption and general DC hanky-panky for the rest of time.

The PPACA is a turkey. The "you can keep your plan/doctor" stuff was an in your face lie. If your plan did not meet the new mandated criteria, you were obviously going to lose your plan. That is obvious to the most casual observer WITH A BRAIN IN THEIR HEAD. The "Its not going to add one cent to the national debt" meme is just as ludicrous. The managers of the worst roll-out in forever, the same people that took a $50-100M portal and ran it to a reportedly $2BN+ costs are not going to ever manage to do that. The idea that it was not a tax...well Roberts was correct. It is a tax. They knew it was a tax from the beginning and they sought to cover that fact up. "We are going to save each American Family $2300.00" if you drop some acid and squint your eyes just right... Folks, to get the bill to nbe revenue nuetral, they had to combine it with a $200M ripoff of Medicare and a $200M fuzzy math rework of the Student Loan Program.

10 years from now, after it is fixed by someone, it will become a hallowed part of American culture. At this moment, it is a politically expedient way of pushing GOOD IDEA wrapped in a bad plan down the throats of all Americans. The true believing sycophants here and across America are hearing the words of Gruber and they know now that they were lied to, conned, mislead, etc. These Elitists are having their collective wings clipped and they know it. They are going to be extolled as the "stupid" voters from now on. They cannot claim superiority in the debate any longer because they are now widely shown by the educated class to be the " NOW ACKNOWLEDGED LOW INFORMATION VOTERS." These people are getting what they deserve. They knew at some level this was all BS. The Idea is sound. It is a great IDEA. PPACA was a horrible plan shoved down everyone's throats for the sake of expediency and will go down as a hallmark in why we do not want the US Fed Govt doing big things all at once.

Nationalized Health care is the last thing we need. This thing cannot be fixed. If you want socialized medicine just be patient, this thing is the first step on that path.

Nationalized Health care is the last thing we need. This thing cannot be fixed. If you want socialized medicine just be patient, this thing is the first step on that path.

Whatever, If we can spend more on Defense then the next 25 nations, then we can afford to get basic healthcare to all.

The libs can't comment because most of them don't even know about Gruber's comments. because they don't watch Fox News which broke the story. I heard this morning that all the networks besides Fox had given a combined coverage time of about 3 minutes. The WH tried to brush it off as a one time thing where Gruber was "misunderstood" until Fox came up with more of his speeches with the same comments. Now several Dems have been openly critical

Archived