New York Grand Jury Does Not Indict Officer in Choking Death

icanthearyou

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm proud of them and am glad it is happening at my Alma Mater.

I was there in support. Anyone surprised? I love freedom of speech and assembly. I am upset by the lack of common sense in NYC.

Well yeah. The media is controlled by the liberals and commies.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Couldn't resist the opportunity to be sarcastic.

No, I believe their cause is just. I think they understand that, we the people, are the authority in this country and, they do not endorse the trend of excessive force being used by some of the policing personnel we employ. It is our system and therefore, our responsibility to correct the system at times.

I do not see a media agenda (not with the basic facts, anyway). This isn't Fox News. These stories aren't contrived. Sure, you can change the channel and get opinion on the influence of race, or politics but, in the end, the basic facts are the same. This isn't about race or politics, in my opinion. This is about a pattern of policing with too heavy a hand. It is a problem at local, state, and federal levels.

The only reason these cases have been covered so extensively is because of a racial agenda. If you can't admit that then you're being specious. If the victims were white instead of black I'd bet these cases wouldn't get much coverage except for probably Faux News as some like to call it.

You can make a strong argument in the Eric Garner case about police using too much force but the Michael Brown case was not a case of police using too much force. Yet they both get lumped together because of one reason. They were both black.

Not for me. If you wish to view this as a media or racial issue, I understand. Personally, I don't care why they are being reported. I just appreciate the fact that they are being reported.

I guess I've watched MSNBC and CNN a bit too much the last two days. Because they have made this about race. So, to your point, you appreciate their respective efforts. I can hear you!

Sorry, I don't think I watch as much television or, the same channels you do. But, to your point, when people begin to display an agenda or, attempt to tell me how to think, I generally stop watching and/or listening. Again, to me, these stories have very little to do with the media, race, or politics. And again, that is just for me. I understand that others view those as significant factors. Again, I do not. I see them as distractions.

Your view does not account for the views of thousands marching our streets over a false narrative. These kids are listening! I see that as very significant. In interview after interview, these kids recite racial talking points exhorted by the media. Again, I view that as significant. The media should focus on accountability, police retraining and heavy handed tactics. Quite possibly, Grand Jury protocol. Not race. Not inciting violence/protest. JMHO.

I do not know or, pretend to know how everyone else thinks. I'm not familiar with what you are talking about. Do you have any links?

are you still pretending you dont see the media setting this racial war up? or are you really serious?

Well that sets a new record for irony! :laugh: :laugh: :rolleyes:

Please do tell and elaborate. The suspense is killing me. :-\

If you don't see it, I doubt I can explain it, but I'll try.

He is incredulous - "are you really serious" - that someone doesn't see that the media is "setting up a racial war" which is patently absurd premise. That's called irony.

It's sort of like saying "are you really serious?" to someone who doesn't believe Obama is a closet Muslim who hates this country. No wait, that probably won't work for you.

How about: it's like saying "are you really serious" to someone who doesn't believe Men-in-Black is literally true?

Homey, the mere fact that you and itch fail to see that certain media are injecting racial aspects into this case make you two incredulous. But nice attempt at bait and switch. Well, actually it wasn't. It was a lousy attempt. Talk about ironic. :gofig:

And please, please show me one instance where I have ever labeled Obama a closet Muslim. Before you attack me with some asinine commentary, i suggest you do some homework!

The actual proposition was the "media setting up a race war". And I still think it's ridiculous.

And please, please, please show me where I suggested you ever labeled Obama anything. Then look-up the word "analogy".

And let's not forget it was you who asked for an explanation. All I "attempted" was to give you one.

If only NY mayor did not have cops on the street ENFORCING cigarette taxes, This never would have happened. It is not about race...It IS about TAX and SPEND libs..............

I keep hoping you're just a parody.

Surely he's a Poe. There's just no way he's serious.

If only stupid lib NY mayor had not forced cops to crack down on black market cigarette sales to insure TAXES are collected....if only...

No, I believe their cause is just. I think they understand that, we the people, are the authority in this country and, they do not endorse the trend of excessive force being used by some of the policing personnel we employ. It is our system and therefore, our responsibility to correct the system at times.

I do not see a media agenda (not with the basic facts, anyway). This isn't Fox News. These stories aren't contrived. Sure, you can change the channel and get opinion on the influence of race, or politics but, in the end, the basic facts are the same. This isn't about race or politics, in my opinion. This is about a pattern of policing with too heavy a hand. It is a problem at local, state, and federal levels.

The only reason these cases have been covered so extensively is because of a racial agenda. If you can't admit that then you're being specious. If the victims were white instead of black I'd bet these cases wouldn't get much coverage except for probably Faux News as some like to call it.

You can make a strong argument in the Eric Garner case about police using too much force but the Michael Brown case was not a case of police using too much force. Yet they both get lumped together because of one reason. They were both black.

Not for me. If you wish to view this as a media or racial issue, I understand. Personally, I don't care why they are being reported. I just appreciate the fact that they are being reported.

I guess I've watched MSNBC and CNN a bit too much the last two days. Because they have made this about race. So, to your point, you appreciate their respective efforts. I can hear you!

Sorry, I don't think I watch as much television or, the same channels you do. But, to your point, when people begin to display an agenda or, attempt to tell me how to think, I generally stop watching and/or listening. Again, to me, these stories have very little to do with the media, race, or politics. And again, that is just for me. I understand that others view those as significant factors. Again, I do not. I see them as distractions.

Your view does not account for the views of thousands marching our streets over a false narrative. These kids are listening! I see that as very significant. In interview after interview, these kids recite racial talking points exhorted by the media. Again, I view that as significant. The media should focus on accountability, police retraining and heavy handed tactics. Quite possibly, Grand Jury protocol. Not race. Not inciting violence/protest. JMHO.

I do not know or, pretend to know how everyone else thinks. I'm not familiar with what you are talking about. Do you have any links?

are you still pretending you dont see the media setting this racial war up? or are you really serious?

He is incredulous - "are you really serious" - that someone doesn't see that the media is "setting up a racial war" which is patently absurd premise. That's called irony.

It's sort of like saying "are you really serious?" to someone who doesn't believe Obama is a closet Muslim who hates this country. No wait, that probably won't work for you.

How about: it's like saying "are you really serious" to someone who doesn't believe Men-in-Black is literally true?

Homey, the mere fact that you and itch fail to see that certain media are injecting racial aspects into this case make you two incredulous. But nice attempt at bait and switch. Well, actually it wasn't. It was a lousy attempt. Talk about ironic. :gofig:

And please, please show me one instance where I have ever labeled Obama a closet Muslim. Before you attack me with some asinine commentary, i suggest you do some homework!

The actual proposition was the "media setting up a race war". And I still think it's ridiculous.

And please, please, please show me where I suggested you ever labeled Obama anything. Then look-up the word "analogy".

And let's not forget it was you who asked for an explanation. All I "attempted" was to give you one.

A major implication in this entire thread has been the interjection of race. It is obvious to most with a brain. You don't see it? Well, what might that imply?

"It's sort of like saying "are you really serious?" to someone who doesn't believe Obama is a closet Muslim who hates this country. No wait, that probably won't work for you." Do I really need to say more?

Finally, I did ask for an explanation and you failed to deliver anything remotely credible. It did resemble bong driveling conjecture. :ucrazy:

Its strange to me to see "conservatives" justifying the death of a man at the hands of the government for what amounts to a trivial case of tax evasion. Russell Kirk, along with so many of our Founding Fathers would be flummoxed.

First off regardless of the stupidity of the law, the police were called in and they have to do their job even if they don't like it. Second Eric Garner was no stranger to the criminal justice system. He's been arrested before and apparently without incident. For whatever reason, this time he resisted, started flailing his arms around and continued to struggle with the police. With his health issues, that was a recipe for exactly what happened. They weren't going to beat him senseless. He would have gone to jail, paid a fine and maybe ended up on probation or something like that and then been sent on his way.

All that having been said, were it not for the oppressive tax rates placed on cigarettes by the city and state of NY this likely wouldn't have been an issue in the first place. They insisted on getting every last penny of tax revenue they could squeeze out of this. That creates the black market for selling the loose cigarettes on the street. It's the same way these people act with companies like AirBnB and Uber. The mayor of NY has vowed to run AirBnB out of the city for good. They want to control everything and everyone right down to the lowest level. People know what tobacco is and what the dangers are. The ones that want to start using know the risks but most of them don't think they'll ever get hooked. Most people that start out using cocaine don't think they'll ever get hooked either.

A major implication in this entire thread has been the interjection of race. It is obvious to most with a brain. You don't see it? Well, what might that imply?

"It's sort of like saying "are you really serious?" to someone who doesn't believe Obama is a closet Muslim who hates this country. No wait, that probably won't work for you." Do I really need to say more?

Finally, I did ask for an explanation and you failed to deliver anything remotely credible. It did resemble bong driveling conjecture. :ucrazy:

Yes, you need to please, please, please show me where I quoted you on anything.

And "credible"? How does that figure in? How is an explanation using analogies held to a "credibility" standard?

Apparently you still don't get it, so neither of my analogies worked for you. So if you don't still don't understand why the statement was ironic, I can try again. Not sure I can improve on the MIB analogy though. I thought that would be obvious to anyone.

Anyway, sorry for your frustration. It's apparent that you have become sensitive about it, what with the attempted insults and all.

First off regardless of the stupidity of the law, the police were called in and they have to do their job even if they don't like it. Second Eric Garner was no stranger to the criminal justice system. He's been arrested before and apparently without incident. For whatever reason, this time he resisted, started flailing his arms around and continued to struggle with the police. With his health issues, that was a recipe for exactly what happened. They weren't going to beat him senseless. He would have gone to jail, paid a fine and maybe ended up on probation or something like that and then been sent on his way.

All that having been said, were it not for the oppressive tax rates placed on cigarettes by the city and state of NY this likely wouldn't have been an issue in the first place. They insisted on getting every last penny of tax revenue they could squeeze out of this. That creates the black market for selling the loose cigarettes on the street. It's the same way these people act with companies like AirBnB and Uber. The mayor of NY has vowed to run AirBnB out of the city for good. They want to control everything and everyone right down to the lowest level. People know what tobacco is and what the dangers are. The ones that want to start using know the risks but most of them don't think they'll ever get hooked. Most people that start out using cocaine don't think they'll ever get hooked either.

Well they are certainly aware of the dangers of selling loose cigarettes! :rolleyes:

At the risk of being asked to explain it, I'd say your post is a good example of cognitive dissonance expressed.

And I disagree with ITCHY. This incident does have a racial component, at least considering the reaction. Here's why:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/police-shootings-ferguson-race-data

The second graph is particularly telling. Imagine if the data earlier than 1970 were included. Imagine a plot that covered a time lime back to slavery. Would that curve slope ever change? Hell no. It would likely keep climbing.

That provides a little historical perspective on why black people are so sensitive to being abused by the system and more particularly, the LEO's who represent it.

"They want to control everything and everyone right down to the lowest level."

Their idea of free markets is driven by their collectivist mentality that requires such control. It most closely resembles top down authoritarianism than anything else. Once Obama and Holder are through with their federal reforms for police I expect the next step will be a national force resembling the Brown Shirts of Nazi Germany. Its just another telltale symptom of when equality trumps freedom and its already happening under this admin.

Yes, you need to please, please, please show me where I quoted you on anything.

And "credible"? How does that figure in? How is an explanation using analogies held to a "credibility" standard?

Apparently you still don't get it, so neither of my analogies worked for you. So if you don't still don't understand why the statement was ironic, I can try again. Not sure I can improve on the MIB analogy though. I thought that would be obvious to anyone.

Anyway, sorry for your frustration. It's apparent that you have become sensitive about it, what with the attempted insults and all.

Perhaps you should explain "no wait, that probably won't work for you." I felt the implication was obvious.

In my opinion you loose credibility when you ignore/deny the media's attempt to propagate racism. And by the way, that has zero to do with some stupid analogy. So please spare me from that elementary drivel. Plus, the analogy misses the entire point. Don't get lost homey. Focus.

Frustrated by you? Hardly. Your reputation alone was a prime indicator of your biased views and were to be expected. Insults?

And I disagree with ITCHY. This incident does have a racial component, at least considering the reaction. Here's why:

http://www.motherjon...guson-race-data

The second graph is particularly telling. Imagine if the data earlier than 1970 were included. Imagine a plot that covered a time lime back to slavery. Would that curve slope ever change? Hell no. It would likely keep climbing.

That provides a little historical perspective on why black people are so sensitive to being abused by the system and more particularly, the LEO's who represent it.

Sure, every time someone disagrees with me, suddenly there is a "T" in icanthearyou. Etoufee Homer?

Its strange to me to see "conservatives" justifying the death of a man at the hands of the government for what amounts to a trivial case of tax evasion. Russell Kirk, along with so many of our Founding Fathers would be flummoxed.

You saw someone justify a death?

"In my opinion you loose credibility when you ignore/deny the media's attempt to propagate racism. And by the way, that has zero to do with some stupid analogy. So please spare me from that elementary drivel. Plus, the analogy misses the entire point. Don't get lost homey. Focus."

Don't loose your credibility Homer. You is better then that.

"In my opinion you loose credibility when you ignore/deny the media's attempt to propagate racism. And by the way, that has zero to do with some stupid analogy. So please spare me from that elementary drivel. Plus, the analogy misses the entire point. Don't get lost homey. Focus."

Ironic isn't it. homey was critiquing everyone's use of the Queen's English long before you followed suit. I have noticed, however, with the exception of this glaring faux pas, the critiques are usually invoked only when you're "loosing" based on the lack of merit of your argument.

In 2012, 123 African-Americans were shot dead by police. In the same year, 326 whites were killed by police.

That too should provide evidence of systematic abuse. Right?

Ironic isn't it. homey was critiquing everyone's use of the Queen's English long before you followed suit. I have noticed, however, with the exception of this glaring faux pas, the critiques are usually invoked only when you're "loosing" based on the lack of merit of your argument.

Kind of glaring aye?

Sure, every time someone disagrees with me, suddenly there is a "T" in icanthearyou. Etoufee Homer?

Personally, I would've said he wasn't permitted to disagree with you.

:laugh: That's good. ('Cept you forgot the accent marks on etoufee. )

If the context is their opinion, I can't possibly maintain credibility with several of the posters on this forum. Somehow that doesn't distress me. ;)

In 2012, 123 African-Americans were shot dead by police. In the same year, 326 whites were killed by police.

That too should provide evidence of systematic abuse. Right?

Of course not. More whites are on welfare than blacks. Does that provide evidence that blacks are generally better off financially than whites?

Kind of glaring aye?

We can't help it if you guys are too lazy to edit your posts.

If you want to maintain credibility, you'd provide an example for these accusations. IMO of course. :-\

Archived