New York Grand Jury Does Not Indict Officer in Choking Death

icanthearyou

The thing about this Garner case that nobody wants to discuss is if it wasn't for raging liberal Michael Bloomberg making it illegal to sale loose cigarettes on the street the encounter would never have happened. The merchants in the vicinity had placed multiple complaints about this guy selling loose cigarettes, in fact, he had already been arrested for that same thing 8 previous times. It should have never happened but the bottom line is that the police were negligent is not one of the things the grand jury could indict for. There was no malicious intent to kill the guy

http://www.breitbart...cts-Eric-Garner

Actually, that was discussed quite a few pages ago.

Please excuse my tardiness. I didn't read the entire thread and probably should have before posting...my mistake, sorry.

It wasn't framed in the same terms as your point, but my original point was how ridiculous it was to be trying to handcuff and arrest a guy for something so trivial a simple summons should have been issued.

Hopefully, thru simple police retraining, these steps will be taken in the future.

The guy was an 8 time offender of this stupid law. The law is the problem not the police. They never should have made the law but hell, Bloomberg tried to outlaw convenience stores from selling super sized drinks. if they had passed that law somebody would've probably died for selling big gulps.

They're actually both the problem. It is absurd that there is a law regarding selling loose cigarettes on the streets. It is also absurd that police officers felt it an appropriate response to the violation of such a law that their heavy-handed action was appropriate.

Thats hard to argue and I wont but remember this was an 8 time offender and the merchants had placed multiple complaints. The law is the law. The only reason the guy died, in reality, is because of his severe asthma and heart disease but I agree it was a bad scene that could have been avoided band should have never happened.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing about this Garner case that nobody wants to discuss is if it wasn't for raging liberal Michael Bloomberg making it illegal to sale loose cigarettes on the street the encounter would never have happened. The merchants in the vicinity had placed multiple complaints about this guy selling loose cigarettes, in fact, he had already been arrested for that same thing 8 previous times. It should have never happened but the bottom line is that the police were negligent is not one of the things the grand jury could indict for. There was no malicious intent to kill the guy

Please excuse my tardiness. I didn't read the entire thread and probably should have before posting...my mistake, sorry.

It wasn't framed in the same terms as your point, but my original point was how ridiculous it was to be trying to handcuff and arrest a guy for something so trivial a simple summons should have been issued.

Hopefully, thru simple police retraining, these steps will be taken in the future.

The guy was an 8 time offender of this stupid law. The law is the problem not the police. They never should have made the law but hell, Bloomberg tried to outlaw convenience stores from selling super sized drinks. if they had passed that law somebody would've probably died for selling big gulps.

They're actually both the problem. It is absurd that there is a law regarding selling loose cigarettes on the streets. It is also absurd that police officers felt it an appropriate response to the violation of such a law that their heavy-handed action was appropriate.

Thats hard to argue and I wont but remember this was an 8 time offender and the merchants had placed multiple complaints. The law is the law. The only reason the guy died, in reality, is because of his severe asthma and heart disease but I agree it was a bad scene that could have been avoided band should have never happened.

Oh, I know. I'm not suggesting the guy was picking up trash on the sidewalk and was inexplicably choked to death by the police. I'm saying that, even if it hadn't actually killed him, tackling a dude to the ground and pressing him into it further with knees while handcuffing would have still been a heavy-handed response to someone annoyed at being harassed by such an idiotic law. He was indeed clearly annoyed with them, so back off a bit (out of striking range) and try to verbally de-escalate the situation, write him a summons, and everyone goes home that night. Moreover, we never hear of it.

Why is that in all these recent cases some people insist on defending the person guilty of a crime rather than the cops trying to make an arrest.?

Why is that in all these recent cases some people insist on defending the person guilty of a crime rather than the cops trying to make an arrest.?

For me it is simple. Neither of these recent incidents had to end in death. Particularly the latest occurrence. But I do not give a pass to the guilty on either side.

Not for me. If you wish to view this as a media or racial issue, I understand. Personally, I don't care why they are being reported. I just appreciate the fact that they are being reported.

What I don't appreciate is the racial angle the media is using by covering this. It's not helping the problem no matter which side you choose to take. Unfortunately the race issue is what's causing the divide. Instead of looking at how both sides can do more to help problems, only one side is getting blamed and trying to be held accountable.

It's not just the media though, the federal government has gotten involved in both cases. What does that tell you if there's not some racial agenda at play here? Why isn't the government also investigating what happened at the University of South Alabama? Because the student was white?

That darn pesky constitution...

Well yeah. The media is controlled by the liberals and commies.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Couldn't resist the opportunity to be sarcastic.

No, I believe their cause is just. I think they understand that, we the people, are the authority in this country and, they do not endorse the trend of excessive force being used by some of the policing personnel we employ. It is our system and therefore, our responsibility to correct the system at times.

I do not see a media agenda (not with the basic facts, anyway). This isn't Fox News. These stories aren't contrived. Sure, you can change the channel and get opinion on the influence of race, or politics but, in the end, the basic facts are the same. This isn't about race or politics, in my opinion. This is about a pattern of policing with too heavy a hand. It is a problem at local, state, and federal levels.

The only reason these cases have been covered so extensively is because of a racial agenda. If you can't admit that then you're being specious. If the victims were white instead of black I'd bet these cases wouldn't get much coverage except for probably Faux News as some like to call it.

You can make a strong argument in the Eric Garner case about police using too much force but the Michael Brown case was not a case of police using too much force. Yet they both get lumped together because of one reason. They were both black.

Not for me. If you wish to view this as a media or racial issue, I understand. Personally, I don't care why they are being reported. I just appreciate the fact that they are being reported.

I guess I've watched MSNBC and CNN a bit too much the last two days. Because they have made this about race. So, to your point, you appreciate their respective efforts. I can hear you!

Sorry, I don't think I watch as much television or, the same channels you do. But, to your point, when people begin to display an agenda or, attempt to tell me how to think, I generally stop watching and/or listening. Again, to me, these stories have very little to do with the media, race, or politics. And again, that is just for me. I understand that others view those as significant factors. Again, I do not. I see them as distractions.

Your view does not account for the views of thousands marching our streets over a false narrative. These kids are listening! I see that as very significant. In interview after interview, these kids recite racial talking points exhorted by the media. Again, I view that as significant. The media should focus on accountability, police retraining and heavy handed tactics. Quite possibly, Grand Jury protocol. Not race. Not inciting violence/protest. JMHO.

I do not know or, pretend to know how everyone else thinks. I'm not familiar with what you are talking about. Do you have any links?

are you still pretending you dont see the media setting this racial war up? or are you really serious?

Well that sets a new record for irony! :laugh: :laugh: :rolleyes:

No, I believe their cause is just. I think they understand that, we the people, are the authority in this country and, they do not endorse the trend of excessive force being used by some of the policing personnel we employ. It is our system and therefore, our responsibility to correct the system at times.

I do not see a media agenda (not with the basic facts, anyway). This isn't Fox News. These stories aren't contrived. Sure, you can change the channel and get opinion on the influence of race, or politics but, in the end, the basic facts are the same. This isn't about race or politics, in my opinion. This is about a pattern of policing with too heavy a hand. It is a problem at local, state, and federal levels.

The only reason these cases have been covered so extensively is because of a racial agenda. If you can't admit that then you're being specious. If the victims were white instead of black I'd bet these cases wouldn't get much coverage except for probably Faux News as some like to call it.

You can make a strong argument in the Eric Garner case about police using too much force but the Michael Brown case was not a case of police using too much force. Yet they both get lumped together because of one reason. They were both black.

I guess I've watched MSNBC and CNN a bit too much the last two days. Because they have made this about race. So, to your point, you appreciate their respective efforts. I can hear you!

Sorry, I don't think I watch as much television or, the same channels you do. But, to your point, when people begin to display an agenda or, attempt to tell me how to think, I generally stop watching and/or listening. Again, to me, these stories have very little to do with the media, race, or politics. And again, that is just for me. I understand that others view those as significant factors. Again, I do not. I see them as distractions.

Your view does not account for the views of thousands marching our streets over a false narrative. These kids are listening! I see that as very significant. In interview after interview, these kids recite racial talking points exhorted by the media. Again, I view that as significant. The media should focus on accountability, police retraining and heavy handed tactics. Quite possibly, Grand Jury protocol. Not race. Not inciting violence/protest. JMHO.

I do not know or, pretend to know how everyone else thinks. I'm not familiar with what you are talking about. Do you have any links?

are you still pretending you dont see the media setting this racial war up? or are you really serious?

Please do tell and elaborate. The suspense is killing me. :-\

I'm not sure the word irony does it justice.

Well that sets a new record for irony! :laugh:/> :laugh:/> :rolleyes:/>

no justice anywhere these days

From the lips of our obtuse twins! :gofig::comfort::rolleyes::big:;)

Yep, really changing the world holding a sign that says "I can't stand around" while, well, just standing around. Want to change the world, go to Afrika and hold a kid from an AIDs orphanage; go to NY and work in a black community to try to stop young black men from murdering other young black men....go to India and work with kids that never mature because they've never been held by a mother or father and don't know what human contact and love is; put on a uniform and go server your country....but, I guess if you can't be troubled with any of that..then lay down in the Quad.

Those are all fine ideas and, as USN said, given time they will move on to other things. But, what would you suggest concerning the current issue? Should they just forget about it?

I think they should focus on the real issues that will matter materially to them or the nation in the future. In order:
  • The fiscal future of their nation...will they live in a country that is fiscally sound and have a jobs base to provide for them and their posterity?
  • The breakdown of the family and the destruction it leaves in its wake...1/3 of babies aborted; 55% of births out of wedlock, poverty on the increase after $21T spent recklessly
  • If you want to focus specifically on the black community, the disintegration of black leadership (which is leading to the majority of ills in the black community)... if they are concerned about black lives; start with the lack of black role models and real leadership in the black community...
    • When Al Sharpton represents you at the White House; you're screwed. He's a liar and the worse kind of opportunist. Look at Ferguson...he champions riots that lead to blacks destroying the businesses of other blacks...and then leaves town to raise more funds and have a beer with the Prez.
    • There were 123 black men killed by police in total last year; there were nearly 6,000 blacks killed by other blacks....55% of all murder victims in the country...2.5x that wounded...95% who were killed by other black men. 13% of the population; 55% of murder victims; killed by their own community. What problem do you think they should be focused on Ichyy?
    • 72% of births out of wedlock...no fathers...no role models; high poverty;
    • 50% of all pregnancies end in abortion
    • Blacks are much safer in police custody than in their own neighborhoods....or in the womb...the biggest problems for the black community; is the black community...

[*]A failing Education system more focused on endoctrination than equipping our youth to be productive members of society...more federal control, poorer results vs the rest of the world, kids unable to take the jobs needed by American society

These 4 ought to be good meaty topics for a hard charging idealistic youth the sink their teeth into...

So you simply do not like their cause?

If we the people will not hold those who work for us and, represent us accountable, who will?

What is their cause? The Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson meme painted across the media of an innocent Gentle Giant with his hands up ruthlessly gunned down by "the Man" aka Whitey? You mean that cause? Which, well really isn't a cause is it?....since the entire thing was a lie. You see, to qualify as a "real" cause, the circumstances generally have to be...hhhmm, well, real...

So how about they put their hands down (like Michael Browns were) and find something worthwhile to do....something that will really make the world better. If they have something other than a faux concern for the black community (like Jessie and Al); and really want to make an impact; go attack the real issues facing the black community. Otherwise; they're just tools and useful idiots to the race baiters who will make a buck from this and move on to the next town to burn down...

If you don't see it, I doubt I can explain it, but I'll try.

He is incredulous - "are you really serious" - that someone doesn't see that the media is "setting up a racial war" which is patently absurd premise. That's called irony.

It's sort of like saying "are you really serious?" to someone who doesn't believe Obama is a closet Muslim who hates this country. No wait, that probably won't work for you.

How about: it's like saying "are you really serious" to someone who doesn't believe Men-in-Black is literally true?

Yeah, the choke hold was purely incidental. :-\

What I don't appreciate is the racial angle the media is using by covering this. It's not helping the problem no matter which side you choose to take. Unfortunately the race issue is what's causing the divide. Instead of looking at how both sides can do more to help problems, only one side is getting blamed and trying to be held accountable.

It's not just the media though, the federal government has gotten involved in both cases. What does that tell you if there's not some racial agenda at play here? Why isn't the government also investigating what happened at the University of South Alabama? Because the student was white?

Yeah, that would be the police who are killing unarmed people. :-\

Yep, really changing the world holding a sign that says "I can't stand around" while, well, just standing around. Want to change the world, go to Afrika and hold a kid from an AIDs orphanage; go to NY and work in a black community to try to stop young black men from murdering other young black men....go to India and work with kids that never mature because they've never been held by a mother or father and don't know what human contact and love is; put on a uniform and go server your country....but, I guess if you can't be troubled with any of that..then lay down in the Quad.

Those are all fine ideas and, as USN said, given time they will move on to other things. But, what would you suggest concerning the current issue? Should they just forget about it?

I think they should focus on the real issues that will matter materially to them or the nation in the future. In order:
  • The fiscal future of their nation...will they live in a country that is fiscally sound and have a jobs base to provide for them and their posterity?
  • The breakdown of the family and the destruction it leaves in its wake...1/3 of babies aborted; 55% of births out of wedlock, poverty on the increase after $21T spent recklessly
  • If you want to focus specifically on the black community, the disintegration of black leadership (which is leading to the majority of ills in the black community)... if they are concerned about black lives; start with the lack of black role models and real leadership in the black community...
    • When Al Sharpton represents you at the White House; you're screwed. He's a liar and the worse kind of opportunist. Look at Ferguson...he champions riots that lead to blacks destroying the businesses of other blacks...and then leaves town to raise more funds and have a beer with the Prez.
    • There were 123 black men killed by police in total last year; there were nearly 6,000 blacks killed by other blacks....55% of all murder victims in the country...2.5x that wounded...95% who were killed by other black men. 13% of the population; 55% of murder victims; killed by their own community. What problem do you think they should be focused on Ichyy?
    • Blacks are much safer in police custody than in their own neighborhoods....or in the womb...the biggest problems for the black community; is the black community...

[*]A failing Education system more focused on endoctrination than equipping our youth to be productive members of society...more federal control, poorer results vs the rest of the world, kids unable to take the jobs needed by American society

These 4 ought to be good meaty topics for a hard charging idealistic youth the sink their teeth into...

If we the people will not hold those who work for us and, represent us accountable, who will?

What is their cause? The Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson meme painted across the media of an innocent Gentle Giant with his hands up ruthlessly gunned down by "the Man" aka Whitey? You mean that cause? Which, well really isn't a cause is it?....since the entire thing was a lie. You see, to qualify as a "real" cause, the circumstances generally have to be...hhhmm, well, real...

So how about they put their hands down (like Michael Browns were) and find something worthwhile to do....something that will really make the world better. If they have something other than a faux concern for the black community (like Jessie and Al); and really want to make an impact; go attack the real issues facing the black community. Otherwise; they're just tools and useful idiots to the race baiters who will make a buck from this and move on to the next town to burn down...

I don't see it that way. I do not believe race is the central issue. Policing with excessive force is the real issue. Why do you wish to make this about race? What is your agenda?

If you don't see it, I doubt I can explain it, but I'll try.

He is incredulous - "are you really serious" - that someone doesn't see that the media is "setting up a racial war" which is patently absurd premise. That's called irony.

It's sort of like saying "are you really serious?" to someone who doesn't believe Obama is a closet Muslim who hates this country. No wait, that probably won't work for you.

How about: it's like saying "are you really serious" to someone who doesn't believe Men-in-Black is literally true?

Homey, the mere fact that you and itch fail to see that certain media are injecting racial aspects into this case make you two incredulous. But nice attempt at bait and switch. Well, actually it wasn't. It was a lousy attempt. Talk about ironic. :gofig:

And please, please show me one instance where I have ever labeled Obama a closet Muslim. Before you attack me with some asinine commentary, i suggest you do some homework!

Bingo!

I don't see it that way. I do not believe race is the central issue. Policing with excessive force is the real issue. Why do you wish to make this about race? What is your agenda?

Race isn't the central issue itch! That is the point! Your question should be "why are certain media outlets making this about race?" What is their agenda?

If only NY mayor did not have cops on the street ENFORCING cigarette taxes, This never would have happened. It is not about race...It IS about TAX and SPEND libs..............

I keep hoping you're just a parody.

Race isn't the central issue itch! That is the point! Your question should be "why are certain media outlets making this about race?" What is their agenda?

in every broadcast, article, briefing, blurb, anything starts with "White officer Darren Wilson, who shot and killed the unarmed black teen ." then show the "witnesses" who mostly didnt even see what happened but embellished in the hoopla. The media actually had me halfway believing an execution took place. Then we have the video of the store robbery released which occurred less than an hour before the shooting and the media never changed their theme. the media joins in the embellishment. remember the trayvon martin story where nbc edited the 911 call to make zimmerman sound like a racist. they all do this to incite racial tension. for what reason i dont know. if you dont see this it is because you choose not to.

After 27 pages in this thread I wonder.......has anyone seen all the evidence the grand jury saw? Has anyone read the transcript?

i didnt see any GJ testimony. but i did see another link from the same angle in this thread that started a minute or so sooner. looked like the officer in front talking to him had been at it for a while and was waiting on backup to take him down. that coupled with the fact that merchants complained and 8 prior arrests are samples of what is not being covered in most of the media releases. i understand the main issue is the force used to take him into custody. but they didnt set up a sting to bust a cigarette pusher or harass him. they were called to do their job by legitimate businessmen to an 8 time repeat offender.

Archived