Players leaving early

AUTUmike

If Frost and Cass do not have financial issues or needs right now, I would opt to come back for another season under Muschamp and company. Can only help their stock rise.

Sammie Coates has been on the NFL radar for a while. He will be drafted, probably in the second round. Duke is great and will certainly have an NFL career, but is not as well known as Sammie is right now.

Avery Young and Duke have both stated that they will be back.

The current best players we have for the NFL draft this year are Dismukes, Coates, Marshall, and CAP. Uzomah may go in the later rounds or as a free agent. He has some upsides but again is not as well known. I could see Uzomah and Bray in the Canadian Football league to start with. Might see Grant in the CFL as well.

CJ will get, at the least, a free agent invite to an NFL team. I think he'll get drafted. He wasn't featured enough to attract a lot of attention. He produced when called upon. If he is brought to the combine he should be able to improve his stock there.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Frost and Cass do not have financial issues or needs right now, I would opt to come back for another season under Muschamp and company. Can only help their stock rise.

Sammie Coates has been on the NFL radar for a while. He will be drafted, probably in the second round. Duke is great and will certainly have an NFL career, but is not as well known as Sammie is right now.

The current best players we have for the NFL draft this year are Dismukes, Coates, Marshall, and CAP. Uzomah may go in the later rounds or as a free agent. He has some upsides but again is not as well known. I could see Uzomah and Bray in the Canadian Football league to start with. Might see Grant in the CFL as well.

CJ will get, at the least, a free agent invite to an NFL team. I think he'll get drafted. He wasn't featured enough to attract a lot of attention. He produced when called upon. If he is brought to the combine he should be able to improve his stock there.

Problems for all of them are:

1- Small numbers of NFL teams and squad sizes...plus players can play as long as their joints hold out so the number of new additions to any given team is not that large. Linemen seem to be at a premium and I'm surprised at the turnover in a typical NFL OL.

2-getting drafted means you have an opportunity to try out for a job. Generally, beyond the second round of the draft, NFL contracts are not guaranteed and drafted players get cut all the time which is why players want "assurance" that they will be drafted in the first or second round. Otherwise, they are basically on a try-out after round 2. Even Michael Sams who seemed untouchable eventually got cut a couple times.

3-Just from observation, the main purpose of undrafted free agents is to provide a source of players for pre-season practice...the NFL version of scout teams. Some like Parkey make it but not that many apparently and many that I saw on a list were guys from smaller schools or schools with poor records where some of their good players were under the radar.

Players go early for a lot of reasons, some personal but it's tough to see some make obvious mistakes by going early.

1- Small numbers of NFL teams and squad sizes...plus players can play as long as their joints hold out so the number of new additions to any given team is not that large. Linemen seem to be at a premium and I'm surprised at the turnover in a typical NFL OL.

2-getting drafted means you have an opportunity to try out for a job. Generally, beyond the second round of the draft, NFL contracts are not guaranteed and drafted players get cut all the time which is why players want "assurance" that they will be drafted in the first or second round. Otherwise, they are basically on a try-out after round 2. Even Michael Sams who seemed untouchable eventually got cut a couple times.

3-Just from observation, the main purpose of undrafted free agents is to provide a source of players for pre-season practice...the NFL version of scout teams. Some like Parkey make it but not that many apparently and many that I saw on a list were guys from smaller schools or schools with poor records where some of their good players were under the radar.

Players go early for a lot of reasons, some personal but it's tough to see some make obvious mistakes by going early.

Sammie will get drafted and make a team. Duke, if he were leaving, would too. No other underclassman is anywhere near ready for the NFL. CJ is a senior so there's no discussion of staying and getting better for him. He has the size and skills NFL teams look for at TE. May not be a star but I think he can make a team and be a more than serviceable player.

I don't know what their personal/family details entail, but I think every junior defensive player would be crazy not to stick around under Muschamp's tutelage for a year.

McKinzy is worried about having to learn a new defensive scheme, that is why he is considering leaving, although ultimately I expect him to stick around. He's not exactly dripping with football IQ, to put it bluntly.

And going to the NFL, most likely as an undrafted free agent, and having to learn a new defensive system is a better alternative exactly how?

Honestly, if player development is what McKinzy needs, sticking around is a good move for him. Learning a system like Mushchamps (a hybrid between the 4-3 and the 3-4) would prepare him better for the NFL.

If McKinzy's problem is a lack of football IQ, he will not project as a 4-3 Mike LB, but he could play inside in a 3-4, and he has the speed to move outside.

Nothing wrong with Cass football IQ. Dudes a beast. Never gives up.

Just because he doesn't gives up doesn't mean he has plenty of football IQ...

Nothing wrong with Cass football IQ. Dudes a beast. Never gives up.

never giving up is good. Combined with knowing what you're supposed to be doing makes a complete football player. Too often he doesn't understand the latter.

Sammie will get drafted and make a team. Duke, if he were leaving, would too. No other underclassman is anywhere near ready for the NFL. CJ is a senior so there's no discussion of staying and getting better for him. He has the size and skills NFL teams look for at TE. May not be a star but I think he can make a team and be a more than serviceable player.

It's a cold cruel world in the NFL...getting drafted and making a team is not the same thing...beyond round 2 they are mostly on their own....get hurt in practice or an exhibition game and you are toast. I recall big Lee Ziemba who was one the better OLs to play at AU, drafted by Panthers and got injured at Carolina and basically tossed aside reportedly without a negotiated settlement his second year there.

It's probably colder and crueler still if you get cut loose without your degree. Sammie is in a good position it seems...has he degree and a good projected draft position.

These are high risk decisions.

An interesting list of draft prospects http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/all Lots of AU seniors listed but only 3 or 4 getting much love.

Glad to see Will is trashing that 4-2-5 defense. It never did worked.

Surely you don't think it was the 4-2-5 that didn't work?

http://buyersguide.coachesdirectory.com/article/building-the-4-2-5-defense-article.html

I recall big Lee Ziemba who was one the better OLs to play at AU, drafted by Panthers and got injured at Carolina and basically tossed aside reportedly without a negotiated settlement his second year there.

Lee Ziemba had severe physical limitations which is why he was drafted so low and never stuck around in the NFL. The guy simply wasn't athletic enough, and to be honest, while he was good at Auburn it was obvious that he was far from a lock to be an NFL talent. Remember all those false starts that always plagued him? Those were the result of him attempting to cheat against the pass-rush because he lacked the foot quickness and overall athleticism to keep up with true edge rushers. That is why he was playing Guard in his short stint in the NFL.

College fans typically underestimate the fact that the NFL game requires a certain level of athleticism that you can work around in College. Being a good college player, even in the SEC, doesn't automatically mean that you can play in the NFL. The opposite is also true as there are countless examples of players who actually got BETTER in the NFL...ie: their premium athleticism was never developed in College, and they took off with superior NFL coaching.

He had incredibly short arms for a guy that tall.

Short arms, slow feet. Just not NFL material as an athlete. He ran a 5.50 forty at the Combine.

I recall big Lee Ziemba who was one the better OLs to play at AU, drafted by Panthers and got injured at Carolina and basically tossed aside reportedly without a negotiated settlement his second year there.

Lee Ziemba had severe physical limitations which is why he was drafted so low and never stuck around in the NFL. The guy simply wasn't athletic enough, and to be honest, while he was good at Auburn it was obvious that he was far from a lock to be an NFL talent. Remember all those false starts that always plagued him? Those were the result of him attempting to cheat against the pass-rush because he lacked the foot quickness and overall athleticism to keep up with true edge rushers. That is why he was playing Guard in his short stint in the NFL.

College fans typically underestimate the fact that the NFL game requires a certain level of athleticism that you can work around in College. Being a good college player, even in the SEC, doesn't automatically mean that you can play in the NFL. The opposite is also true as there are countless examples of players who actually got BETTER in the NFL...ie: their premium athleticism was never developed in College, and they took off with superior NFL coaching.

I agree with all of that which why I constantly question people who talk about one of our recruits going to the NFL after his junior year before they guy has even played a single down for Auburn.

And further, the same explanation should apply for guys coming out of HS to the SEC with all the expectation from fans that the guy will be starting as a freshman.

JMO but many people do not understand the magnitude of the step-up from HS to SEC ....and from the SEC to the NFL.

As for LZ, he was actually getting playing time until he got hurt. My point was that once he got hurt, the was on his own...no big bonus and no 3 year contract.

I agree with all of that which why I constantly question people who talk about one of our recruits going to the NFL after his junior year before they guy has even played a single down for Auburn.

And further, the same explanation should apply for guys coming out of HS to the SEC with all the expectation from fans that the guy will be starting as a freshman.

JMO but many people do not understand the magnitude of the step-up from HS to SEC ....and from the SEC to the NFL.

As for LZ, he was actually getting playing time until he got hurt. My point was that once he got hurt, the was on his own...no big bonus and no 3 year contract.

+1

Word is that Frost is leaning towards returning to school and Cass is still split.

Both of them better stay. Neither one is anywhere near ready for the NFL.

I'm reading Frost has all but decided to stick around, nothing about Cass though. Haven't read/seen squat.

I don't see either one of them even making an NFL practice squad. If they do leave early they'd better have a solid "Plan B" that beats driving a dump truck. Measurables are one thing but neither one of them has on the field production that is satisfactory even for a college LB.

I don't see either one of them even making an NFL practice squad. If they do leave early they'd better have a solid "Plan B" that beats driving a dump truck. Measurables are one thing but neither one of them has on the field production that is satisfactory even for a college LB.

They have plenty of talent but they have so much they need to work on before they try to move on to the NFL. Right now they are not going to get drafted and are unlikely to even get invited as a free agent. Work with WM and learn from him and the position coach.

Archived