Players leaving early

AUTUmike

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can all debate Coates decision, but he earned his degree and can now start his career, best of luck to him. Right or wrong I really don't think it matters, he is an Auburn Graduate, time to take on the next challenge ready or not, like we all did

When I saw both Frost and Mckinzey were considering leaving early I was thinking, as John McEnroe would say, "You cannot be serious". In the Outback Bowl both of them were hit with late hits which kept drives alive. They keep making the same mistakes but for some unknown reason they feel they are ready for the NFL...Yeah, right.

Good gravy. The reason is not unknown. They think they might be ready because the freaking NFL told them they might be.

Man, if I were them, I might be in a mighty big hurry to get the hell away from Auburn fans, too.

Actually, the NFL told them no such things. Maybe bammer fans but not the NFL. The analysis the NFL does shows only the first two rounds. They were not projected there. The analysis also shows their deficiencies and what they need to work on. Obviously they have a lot to work on if they hope to be drafted. It would be career suicide for them to go pro. Glad Cass figured this out and hope Frost has enough sense to do the same.

When I saw both Frost and Mckinzey were considering leaving early I was thinking, as John McEnroe would say, "You cannot be serious". In the Outback Bowl both of them were hit with late hits which kept drives alive. They keep making the same mistakes but for some unknown reason they feel they are ready for the NFL...Yeah, right.

Good gravy. The reason is not unknown. They think they might be ready because the freaking NFL told them they might be.

Man, if I were them, I might be in a mighty big hurry to get the hell away from Auburn fans, too.

Actually, the NFL told them no such things. Maybe bammer fans but not the NFL. The analysis the NFL does shows only the first two rounds. They were not projected there. The analysis also shows their deficiencies and what they need to work on. Obviously they have a lot to work on if they hope to be drafted. It would be career suicide for them to go pro. Glad Cass figured this out and hope Frost has enough sense to do the same.

Really glad that Cass is staying for his senior season. I've also heard that Kris Frost is staying for his senior year as well. Now, I just wish Sammie would change his mind and come back next fall.

Doubt another year in college would make Coates a good catcher of the ball or a polished route runner. His value is likely as high as it will ever be- he's right to leave while he can potentially earn big dollars through the draft.

Agree...and he will almost certainly get better coaching in the NFL and they will have plenty of leverage to keep him focused on football. He has his degree.....hope to see him in the big time next season.

Sammie will go in the second. He's a top 6 or 7 WR in a draft where four of those guys are basically first round locks.

Sammie will go in the second. He's a top 6 or 7 WR in a draft where four of those guys are basically first round locks.

He's going to make an NFL team and contribute. Yes he has things to work on but from what I've seen of a number of NFL receivers, he's really not that far off. He did what Gus and the offensive staff asked him to do and I doubt his role in the offense or the routes he would run would change a lot this next year.

Auburn redshirt junior WR Sammie Coates has "[Terrell Owens'] body, [Odell Beckham Jr.'s] burst and [Darrius Heyward-Bey's] hands," writes NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah.

We couldn't agree more. Coates has the build of a No. 1 WR (6-foot-2, 201 pounds) and the speed of a No. 1 WR (4.36 40-yard dash), but he has failed to live up to scouts' expectations. Perhaps the biggest reason for that is Coates' consistent inability to produce as a No. 1 receiver at Auburn. The Tigers' offense completely stagnated this year when WR Duke Williams was hurt or suspended and Coates was forced into the featured-receiver role. When Coates could focus on running fly routes as the No. 2 receiver, he thrived. "Coates drops a ton of balls but just when you want to write him off, he makes a freaky play," Jeremiah wrote. Coates will declare for the draft and has accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. Because of his measurables, Coates is a decent bet to get over-drafted. "Coates [will] make a circus catch in traffic and then completely fail to track the ball a few plays later," Jeremiah wrote.

spot on, sir!

Most of the people who said he wouldn't get drafted have now moved on to the he won't be successful in the nfl stance. Gotta love the support of being an AUBURN man

Auburn redshirt junior WR Sammie Coates has "[Terrell Owens'] body, [Odell Beckham Jr.'s] burst and [Darrius Heyward-Bey's] hands," writes NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah.

We couldn't agree more. Coates has the build of a No. 1 WR (6-foot-2, 201 pounds) and the speed of a No. 1 WR (4.36 40-yard dash), but he has failed to live up to scouts' expectations. Perhaps the biggest reason for that is Coates' consistent inability to produce as a No. 1 receiver at Auburn. The Tigers' offense completely stagnated this year when WR Duke Williams was hurt or suspended and Coates was forced into the featured-receiver role. When Coates could focus on running fly routes as the No. 2 receiver, he thrived. "Coates drops a ton of balls but just when you want to write him off, he makes a freaky play," Jeremiah wrote. Coates will declare for the draft and has accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. Because of his measurables, Coates is a decent bet to get over-drafted. "Coates [will] make a circus catch in traffic and then completely fail to track the ball a few plays later," Jeremiah wrote.

spot on, sir!

That description applies to any number of receivers. I don't know what he's going to do once he gets to the NFL. He's not the first player at any position to lack polish in college. NFL analysts are known for going overboard one way or the other on their assessment of potential players.

spot on, sir!

That description applies to any number of receivers. I don't know what he's going to do once he gets to the NFL. He's not the first player at any position to lack polish in college. NFL analysts are known for going overboard one way or the other on their assessment of potential players.

That big pass receiver from FSU who caught the winning pass is now playing for the Panthers....drops at least 3 passes per game and makes a couple amazing catches..yet he is still Cam's go-to guy it seems. I see Sammie as a smaller version of Kevin Benjamin....will probably get better with NFL coaching and some team will need him badly enough to put up with the inconsistency...for a while at least.

They may both stay, but to assume that they would go undrafted, baffles me.

CBS Sports only projects 16 ILBs (out of 46 tracked prospects) and 28 OLBs (out of 78 tracked prospects) being drafted:

NFL Draft Prospects, 2015 ILBs

NFL Draft Prospects, 2015 OLBs

All I can say is that based on their performance in college to this point, I wouldn't draft them, at least not in any early or even mid round. I might take a chance in the 5th round but that's as high as I'd go. Maybe I'm missing something but I have yet to see anything that remotely suggests they are anywhere near ready for the NFL. Scouts and GMs fall in love with measurables too often. They sometimes tend to ignore bad play.

spot on, sir!

That big pass receiver from FSU who caught the winning pass is now playing for the Panthers....drops at least 3 passes per game and makes a couple amazing catches..yet he is still Cam's go-to guy it seems. People are getting incredibly sick of seeing Benjamin drop passes that Cam is hits him on the money with. I see Sammie as a smaller version of Kevin Benjamin....will probably get better with NFL coaching and some team will need him badly enough to put up with the inconsistency...for a while at least.

Great comparison with Kelvin Benjamin and the drops. Although, as a Panthers fan since '96, I'd say Benjamin is Cam's go-to guy because he's the only weapon outside of Greg Olsen (TE) who is worth throwing the ball to. The problem here, though, is Coates isn't 6'5 which gives him less room for error I'd think. If you're a 6'5 WR you have to prove you can't play well rather than prove that you can play well, IMO.

Sorry in advance guess I'm late to the party. I have two questions 1. Has any of our underclassmen declared for the draft other than Coates? 2. Is Frost the last guy we're waiting to hear from?

Sorry in advance guess I'm late to the party. I have two questions 1. Has any of our underclassmen declared for the draft other than Coates? 2. Is Frost the last guy we're waiting to hear from?

I believe your answers are no and yes.

I believe your answers are no and yes.

Thanks

But Coates is four steps faster than Benjamin. So he's got advantages.

Yep....and Sammie has pretty good size to go with his speed. He will just need to learn how to use it...and not make so many mistakes that the coach and QB don't trust him.

Otherwise as noted, the Panther's receivers other than Kelvin are even less reliable. About a third to a half of Cam's incomplete passes are catchable by say.....uh....maybe Steve Smith?

But Coates is four steps faster than Benjamin. So he's got advantages.

Yep....and Sammie has pretty good size to go with his speed. He will just need to learn how to use it...and not make so many mistakes that the coach and QB don't trust him.

Otherwise as noted, the Panther's receivers other than Kelvin are even less reliable. About a third to a half of Cam's incomplete passes are catchable by say.....uh....maybe Steve Smith?

... but aren't half of those Sammie misses catchable by say.....uh....maybe Duke Williams?

Archived