Duke Williams- Suspended for bowl game, returning in 2015

McLoofus

With the prob

Duke coming back says more to me than his problems off the field, which I don't dismiss. If he didn't want to improve he'd be gone. For now, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and move on.

this comment is spot on and should end the discussion.

I think the two issues are linked. I think he can improve his game but in truth he looks like he could be a very very elite receiver in the NFL, even if he went this year (he could block better though). But in light of recent events the NFL is a bit more concerned with off the field issues now than it has been in the past. Duke seems to have some baggage that he needs to distance himself from. I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt any more than I would condemn him for situations that I, like just about all of you, know nothing about. What I do know is that in recent Auburn history fights at parties have resulted in dead kids and it scares the hell out of me. Most times if a man acts prudently he can keep himself out of such situations. I hope for the best and I will trust that Gus feels that Duke being on the team is best for both him and the team.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duke is a smart young man in that I am sure he knows with JJ in the captain's chair, he will be the top receiver in the SEC and most likely the nation.

With the prob

Duke coming back says more to me than his problems off the field, which I don't dismiss. If he didn't want to improve he'd be gone. For now, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and move on.

this comment is spot on and should end the discussion.

I think the two issues are linked. I think he can improve his game but in truth he looks like he could be a very very elite receiver in the NFL, even if he went this year (he could block better though). But in light of recent events the NFL is a bit more concerned with off the field issues now than it has been in the past. Duke seems to have some baggage that he needs to distance himself from. I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt any more than I would condemn him for situations that I, like just about all of you, know nothing about. What I do know is that in recent Auburn history fights at parties have resulted in dead kids and it scares the hell out of me. Most times if a man acts prudently he can keep himself out of such situations. I hope for the best and I will trust that Gus feels that Duke being on the team is best for both him and the team.

Agree. The NFL's image is not really good right now(Hernandez and domestic violence issues) so teams are being more cautious and detailed about what players they are drafting and their character. If Duke did declare you better believe the NFL would know for sure if he was in a fight and any other situations. That could cost him some serious money. It was the best decision to come back considering he can't play. His return has more to do with him maturing and being able to handle the spot light than improving his stock b/c he's a 2nd round pick right now IMO. It's the off the field stuff that would affect his draft stock.

I hope he has Amari Cooper-type production lol

Depending on how Stevens and our next slot receiver pans out, Williams might not have the necessary catches to do so, unless we completely forgo the running attack for a Wazzu style offense

I hope he has Amari Cooper-type production lol

Depending on how Stevens and our next slot receiver pans out, Williams might not have the necessary catches to do so, unless we completely forgo the running attack for a Wazzu style offense

Depend more on the D' getting the ball back for the offense.

Glad he apologized and acknowledged his mistake. Big move to come back for unfinished business after getting suspended as well.

Good news for our offense. Someone else needs to step up to take off the double teams

With the direction society is going, I take some small comfort in the fact that they chose to settle their disagreement with their fists. I just hope Duke doesn't hurt his pro chances with any more incidents. Don't want the NFL GMs to stick that "character issues" label on him.

Archived