Duke Williams- Suspended for bowl game, returning in 2015

McLoofus

This is great news!

Side note: I was under the impression that guys still had to win starting jobs in the offseason, so little confused as to why JJ would be the happiest person. Would not be surprised at all with Sean White winning this job (I'm 50/50 that he will), but alas, I'm sure this discussion can wait for it's appropriate thread.

Based on his high school highlight film or just random quotes you've read about the kid? Unless you've seen him run with our offense in practice, I can't see how your rational has one ounce of logic to it. JJ is the heir apparent for a reason. WDE.

x2. I never understand this in regards to some of our fans. We finally have capable QBs yet call for the backup with limited experience. Guess JJ about to experience a little of what Nick went through.

I thank you for automatically putting me in a certain "some of our fans" box with one comment. There is no substantial evidence from any of my postings that I share those views. I simply stated that the QB race should be, and still is, open going into Spring. Competition encourages growth at any position. I did not state Sean White would win the job, unless 50/50 means something completely different than I have always understood it to mean. I am not quick to fall into "message board hero" fallacies either, because if they drove anything substantially intelligent, Jake Coker would be (supposedly) sleeping with a Heisman trophy in West Vance right now. My only point is starting positions are earned, not given. Not sure how that seemingly common sense point set off so much ridicule, but then again I guess I should not be surprised given the temperament of the board after the regular season.

Malzahn can say the qb job is open for next year but everyone including JJ knows he would have to forget how to throw the football to lose the job. JJ is the starter next year

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news!

Side note: I was under the impression that guys still had to win starting jobs in the offseason, so little confused as to why JJ would be the happiest person. Would not be surprised at all with Sean White winning this job (I'm 50/50 that he will), but alas, I'm sure this discussion can wait for it's appropriate thread.

Based on his high school highlight film or just random quotes you've read about the kid? Unless you've seen him run with our offense in practice, I can't see how your rational has one ounce of logic to it. JJ is the heir apparent for a reason. WDE.

x2. I never understand this in regards to some of our fans. We finally have capable QBs yet call for the backup with limited experience. Guess JJ about to experience a little of what Nick went through.

I thank you for automatically putting me in a certain "some of our fans" box with one comment. There is no substantial evidence from any of my postings that I share those views. I simply stated that the QB race should be, and still is, open going into Spring. Competition encourages growth at any position. I did not state Sean White would win the job, unless 50/50 means something completely different than I have always understood it to mean. I am not quick to fall into "message board hero" fallacies either, because if they drove anything substantially intelligent, Jake Coker would be (supposedly) sleeping with a Heisman trophy in West Vance right now. My only point is starting positions are earned, not given. Not sure how that seemingly common sense point set off so much ridicule, but then again I guess I should not be surprised given the temperament of the board after the regular season.

I agree that was too much criticism directed at you. I believe the reason behind the criticism was that you said 50/50. Based on two years as the backup and looking very good when he started that automatically gives JJ more than a 50/50 chance of winning the job. You are correct that this staff requires every player to win his position so nothing is 100%.

"50/50" would imply that no one has the upper hand. That isn't even remotely close to being the case. I'd put it at 90/10, and that is being generous to Sean White.

This is great news!

I would think it because I've seen Johnson play. And Sean white seems to be a message board hero, as far as the most I've seen or read a coach say about him is he's doing very well. On the message boards he reminds people that haven't seen him play of Joe Montana of course.

This^^

Don't want criticism on social media? Don't say silly things and blame everyone else when you get called on it..

If that hurt his sensitive skin....he needs some new skin....

LOL, Hurt? Far from it. Amused at people jumping off a deep end over a simple suggestion? Completely.

This is great news!

x2. I never understand this in regards to some of our fans. We finally have capable QBs yet call for the backup with limited experience. Guess JJ about to experience a little of what Nick went through. :dunno:/>

A little? Man let Johnson come out and have a bad game or two....quite a few will give up on Johnson, this message board would go crazy with the arguing....it would be bad...

Don't want criticism on social media? Don't say silly things and blame everyone else when you get called on it..

If that hurt his sensitive skin....he needs some new skin....

LOL, Hurt? Far from it. Amused at people jumping off a deep end over a simple suggestion? Completely.

Well u did say 50/50. When it should have been more on the line of 80/20 or 90/10 Johnson. But u are entitled to your opinion

BTT-

Something reeks here....... We hear Injury, then sickness, now suspended? And if it were for a fight a few weeks back, why wait until today to announce the suspension? why take the kid to FL in the first place?

This is great news!

When a tema or position group becomes complacent, it breeds a loser's attitude. I want everyone to fight for a starting job; if not, another 2012 will happen.

BTT-

Something reeks here....... We hear Injury, then sickness, now suspended? And if it were for a fight a few weeks back, why wait until today to announce the suspension? why take the kid to FL in the first place?

Definitely something shifty going on.

But that is Gus' style. I'm waiting for the naive get pissed at that statement lol

I think all positions are open but some you just know, take duke for instance.....You know as well as I he's going to start, everybody will practice they will say no job is safe but he's starting

BTT-

Because there is a big difference in punishment there. Maybe what he did doesn't rise to the level of losing a free trip to Florida. Or, maybe, the team rule broken didn't happen until after the trip.

Or, maybe it was a sop to Duke, a "you aren't gettig to play, but have a free trip, please come back next year?"

BTT-

The kid got there late. During the time after he arrived Gus sat down with him and questioned what had happened during the break and thus decided that it warranted a suspension. Is it really that hard to figure out?

I'm going to consider this akin to landing a big recruit! Now let's bring in some more!

I like that way of looking at it.

yep - like signing the No.1 JUCo Player

(again)

Glad he is returning but still have a while, several weeks, to change his mind. i will count him on next years roster when the deadline to declare passes. I will never forget darvin adams declared the day AFTER the deadline.

Delightful. Bowl games are window dressing and have no statistical impact on the success of the next year. I'm glad he's in Florida practicing. I'm glad to have him back next year. It'll be fun to watch Sammie feature one more game and watch the young guys that will need to step up opposite Duke next year. Good times. Landing one season of Jovon Robinson and Duke Williams together is good stuff.

BTT-

Maybe Gus just recently learned that Duke was coming back; remember, we just learned that ourselves this morning. If true, then that makes sense, because why would he publically suspend a player who is leaving the team? That's my O&B glasses take, anyway.

As for taking him to FL, maybe he's just doing it so somebody can keep an eye on him. That's not a pleasant thought for me.

As for the Johnson/White business, y'all chill the hell out. 50/50 was an unfortunate number, but not nearly enough to get so bent out of shape about QBs on a "We get another year of Auburn's most talented receiver ever" thread. Not to mention, I bet a lot of you same folks had Kodi Burns and Kiehl Frazier penciled in as Heisman finalists. I strongly believe that JJ will start next year and will be very, very good, but if you don't understand that unexpected sh** happens- not just sometimes, but somewhat frequently- at the QB position at Auburn, then you either have a rather short and selective memory or you just started following Auburn football since Gus came back (the same Gus who practically created Kiehl Frazier in a lab yet still failed to make him a winner at the college level).

OK, so there you have it. Suspended for the bowl game, as of now he returns next year. The End.

All the while Phillip Marshall has milked the speculative wing of the Auburn fan base to the max, with his provocative headlines and talk of mystery, intrigue and speculation in his threads @247. All this, about 1 player. In the meantime Gus handled it, the game will still go on and it won't matter if 1 player does or does not play. It never did.

BTT-

The kid got there late. During the time after he arrived Gus sat down with him and questioned what had happened during the break and thus decided that it warranted a suspension. Is it really that hard to figure out?

we have a winner. I do wish these guys wouldn't be getting into these situations though.

BTT-

Maybe Gus just recently learned that Duke was coming back; remember, we just learned that ourselves this morning. If true, then that makes sense, because why would he publically suspend a player who is leaving the team? That's my O&B glasses take, anyway.

As for taking him to FL, maybe he's just doing it so somebody can keep an eye on him. That's not a pleasant thought for me.

As for the Johnson/White business, y'all chill the hell out. 50/50 was an unfortunate number, but not nearly enough to get so bent out of shape about QBs on a "We get another year of Auburn's most talented receiver ever" thread. Not to mention, I bet a lot of you same folks had Kodi Burns and Kiehl Frazier penciled in as Heisman finalists. I strongly believe that JJ will start next year and will be very, very good, but if you don't understand that unexpected sh** happens- not just sometimes, but somewhat frequently- at the QB position at Auburn, then you either have a rather short and selective memory or you just started following Auburn football since Gus came back (the same Gus who practically created Kiehl Frazier in a lab yet still failed to make him a winner at the college level).

:bow:

BTT-

Definitely something shifty going on.

But that is Gus' style. I'm waiting for the naive get pissed at that statement lol

Please enlighten us "naive" with your higher thinking.

Duke got into a fight which caused his suspension.I would not duke out the fact that he goes pro just yet. Coaches have been told he is coming back but kids change minds

Archived