Duke Williams- Suspended for bowl game, returning in 2015

McLoofus

Holy crap people...he got into a fight. It happens. ..it's called "life". Some of you guys have lived an extremely sheltered life. Get over yourselves.

Yep - lot's of people around here forgetting (or to dumb to realize) the qualities that make for a good footballer and good prize fighter are not that far apart. They both require quickness and need a wealth of stamina. They both have to be able to absorb the best an opponent can throw at them, and hopefully possess at least equally ability to return the same. To the recruiter, to the position coach, and to most fans this is what you look for come signing day. And then the kid is asked to turn it off, like a light switch. And then we on a forum, act as if our own mini-me's never forget to do the same at home. And well frankly some never have been asked to this before, to just turn it off. So however late, it's fortunate DW is being asked to learn this now, at the college level, and not in front of a judge on the way to some jail.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I will walk back my 50/50 statement a bit since that evidently made everyone insecure/angry/beside themselves. In the mind of JJ, I hope his offseason mentality is "this is my job." In the mind of Sean White, I hope his offseason mentality is "this is my job." Heck, in the mind of Tyler Queen, I hope his offseason mentality is "this is my job."

Hope none of you are as averse to competition in your own daily lives/goals as you are at the mere mention of it for a D1 starting QB job

#DanielCobb4QB2015

But I will walk back my 50/50 statement a bit since that evidently made everyone insecure/angry/beside themselves. In the mind of JJ, I hope his offseason mentality is "this is my job." In the mind of Sean White, I hope his offseason mentality is "this is my job." Heck, in the mind of Tyler Queen, I hope his offseason mentality is "this is my job."

Hope none of you are as averse to competition in your own daily lives/goals as you are at the mere mention of it for a D1 starting QB job

#DanielCobb4QB2015

That you, Coach Tuberville?

How does a thread about Duke turn into arguing about the quarterbacks? Don't you guys have all next summer to do that? Lol

It's the Auburn version of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. For about 12 of 14 years in this millennium, it's been a valid discussion lol. However, I did not mean for my "Side Note" to hijack the thread.

There are fights everyday on a college campus and you get drunk guys who try to be big and bad and get into it with football players all the time. I am not defending duke but I am saying that it is not the end of the world that a football player was involved in a fight. You have to understand the situation these football players face when they are out... that's all I'll say. We need duke he is a all American wr and will learn from his lesson

I know for a fact that NM was in a fight right before the season.

There are fights everyday on a college campus and you get drunk guys who try to be big and bad and get into it with football players all the time. I am not defending duke but I am saying that it is not the end of the world that a football player was involved in a fight. You have to understand the situation these football players face when they are out... that's all I'll say. We need duke he is a all American wr and will learn from his lesson

BINGO 23.. People don't understand how jocks get harassed and other's "girl-friends" will dump them in a minute for a certified jock.

That in and of itself creates a lot of tension.

Think you misread my note...others are butt-hurt if you question that JJ is the undisputed, uncontested starter for next year. It seems more like some have a teen crush for JJ...they're a bit emotional on the topic...after reading some of the comments I think I understand now where TMZ gets its audience.

After 15 pages I still don't know why Duke was late to the bowl game...and was he suspended before he couldn't get himself to FL? or after he got to FL? and when did alleged fighting happen?

Duke AND Cassanova were late and like you, I'm still not sure why. Can someone enlighten us on the travel arrangements for the team? I would have thought that there was a chartered team flight to the bowl that the entire team is required to go on or you aren't going, period unless there's a major extenuating circumstance. I don't know that I've ever heard of something like this before, where a couple of players were "late" in arriving but, my memory may not be the best in the world.

Think you misread my note...others are butt-hurt if you question that JJ is the undisputed, uncontested starter for next year. It seems more like some have a teen crush for JJ...they're a bit emotional on the topic...after reading some of the comments I think I understand now where TMZ gets its audience.

No one is butt hurt...some just believe due to experience, reps, time in the system, and actual on field data, as well as opportunity to play that JJ has a leg up on the competition. He even pushed Nick as a freshman. No one has annoited him the starter or second coming of Cam. If they have prove it. Fact is JJ has performed well when given the chance against collegiate competition. SW has a bright future, and if JJ can't deliver he will have his opportunity. Odds are that will not happen. Gus and Rhett have said on several occasions that JJ can run the full offense and they have 100% confidence in him. Furthermore they have not made him the starter and said he will have to earn it just like everyone else.

Duke AND Cassanova were late and like you, I'm still not sure why. Can someone enlighten us on the travel arrangements for the team? I would have thought that there was a chartered team flight to the bowl that the entire team is required to go on or you aren't going, period unless there's a major extenuating circumstance. I don't know that I've ever heard of something like this before, where a couple of players were "late" in arriving but, my memory may not be the best in the world.

Generally unless a guy has a pre-approved excuse, if he misses the plane or bus or a meeting..he does not play. But I think coaches are more loose about stuff like that these days. Considering all the personal discipline problems college coaches deal with now, they apparently let some stuff slide "for the good of the team". I'm good with the decision for Duke not to play....'cause Gus never indicated that he and CasM had approval to arrive late....and since no mention has been made about Cas sitting the game out, I'm willing to bet that Duke is missing the game for health reasons. JMO.

Generally unless a guy has a pre-approved excuse, if he misses the plane or bus or a meeting..he does not play. But I think coaches are more loose about stuff like that these days. Considering all the personal discipline problems college coaches deal with now, they apparently let some stuff slide "for the good of the team". I'm good with the decision for Duke not to play....'cause Gus never indicated that he and CasM had approval to arrive late....and since no mention has been made about Cas sitting the game out, I'm willing to bet that Duke is missing the game for health reasons. JMO.

You realize the players traveled to the bowl game on their own right?

Since most of the players were not in Auburn on Christmas, they would be traveling directly to Tampa from their respective hometowns/starting destinations. The players are provided a set amount of money for travel expenses. Supposedly, this amount is more than sufficient to pay for airfare, but the players have the option of traveling as they see fit. Being poor college kids, many of them opt to carpool/drive to the bowl destination and pocket the money saved by doing so.

You realize the players traveled to the bowl game on their own right?

Doesn't matter....they are supposed to be at the appointed place at the appointed time...not a couple days later.

I don't care what he was referring too don't compare duke to any of these guys not same situation. Duke came from bad circumstances will stay out of trouble and be fine next year. He is coming back for sure now.

I don't care what he was referring too don't compare duke to any of these guys not same situation. Duke came from bad circumstances will stay out of trouble and be fine next year. He is coming back for sure now.

Hope you are right...AU is giving him an outstanding chance to change the entire course of his life for the better. I understand that it sometimes takes guys a bit of time to shake off their old habits...hope he can do this...not just because of his football skills...but so he can enjoy a good life after he is gone from AU.

I thought it was a foregone conclusion the kid was one and done. Very excited about the possibility of Duke, Ray and Truitt being on the field together at some point next season.

Duke coming back says more to me than his problems off the field, which I don't dismiss. If he didn't want to improve he'd be gone. For now, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and move on.

Duke coming back says more to me than his problems off the field, which I don't dismiss. If he didn't want to improve he'd be gone. For now, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and move on.

this comment is spot on and should end the discussion.

Archived