Jovon & Roc

WFE12

Keep in mind that Gus was the OC at Arkansas when Darren McFadden and Felix Jones were there. Watch this video for my take on what next year could look like.

i see no reason for our rb play to not be like this, wildcat and all, our rb SHOULD put up astronomical numbers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow huge praise. McFadden is a top 3 SEC RB of all time. His college years are comparable to Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker if I'm not mistaken.

I don't see a 4 man rotation next year, and since KJ's skill set is similar to Roc's, and Peyton will need to give Jovon a rest from time to time (or vice versa), I'm guessing KJ is the odd man out. A redshirt might be best.

I said the same thing..

I hope Peyton gets in. He has shown promise abd got shut out by seniors and Roc. I love kj but I would rather him redshirt than barber sit another year.All in all this is a good problem

I don't see a 4 man rotation next year, and since KJ's skill set is similar to Roc's, and Peyton will need to give Jovon a rest from time to time (or vice versa), I'm guessing KJ is the odd man out. A redshirt might be best.

I said the same thing..

I hope Peyton gets in. He has shown promise abd got shut out by seniors and Roc. I love kj but I would rather him redshirt than barber sit another year.All in all this is a good problem

I'd rather KJ play slot next year.

I said the same thing..

I think Gus has in mind to use Johnson as a flex RB/WR -- think Eric Metcalf -- causing defensive matchup problems. The defense has no idea when Johnson comes in if he is a RB or WR - especially with another RB on the field. Whether they substitute to match up with Johnson as a RB (bringing in a LB) or WR (bringing in a S), I think Gus will have an audible to take advantage of what the defense presents -- a heavy look, and Johnson motions out to the slot; a light look, and Johnson stays in the backfield.

Only Johnson's outstanding versatility allows this.

I said the same thing..

I can see KJ having a role similar to Ricardo Louis' this year.

I said the same thing..

I think Gus has in mind to use Johnson as a flex RB/WR -- think Eric Metcalf -- causing defensive matchup problems. The defense has no idea when Johnson comes in if he is a RB or WR - especially with another RB on the field. Whether they substitute to match up with Johnson as a RB (bringing in a LB) or WR (bringing in a S), I think Gus will have an audible to take advantage of what the defense presents -- a heavy look, and Johnson motions out to the slot; a light look, and Johnson stays in the backfield.

Only Johnson's outstanding versatility allows this.

Adoree Jackson, Kenyan Drake-esque

There're was a noticeable difference in in running ability and in "mesh with the QB on read plays" ability between Mason and CAP. While I Think that Jovon has the ability to be one of the best RBs in awhile at AU, I think that Roc has the ability to be right there with him. That makes me think that they will share the carries more unless someone separates themselves during the season.

I know its apropos of nothing but just watching some old games and seeing little ole Corey Grant lay the wood in several crucial big games. You can argue USC or Auburn is tailback U but the sheer number of guys (William Andrews, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Jacobs, Tristan, Mario, etc. and on and on) who were truly great backs and had to take a backseat to superstars in front of them gives AU the edge I think. I love knowing that every year under Gus we are going to have a tailback that is going to lead the SEC in rushing or be damn close to it. Can't wait to see who breaks out next year.

Im pretty sure the RB hierarchy will all be sorted out in practice. The guys who are the most consistent with all the responsibilities beyond just toting the rock will be the ones playing on Saturdays. Knowing all the blocking assignments and being able to consistently execute them may very well be the deciding factor. Lets be honest, they can all be effective carrying the ball and Gus usually has a package to best utilize each backs best capabilities.

Im pretty sure the RB hierarchy will all be sorted out in practice. The guys who are the most consistent with all the responsibilities beyond just toting the rock will be the ones playing on Saturdays. Knowing all the blocking assignments and being able to consistently execute them may very well be the deciding factor. Lets be honest, they can all be effective carrying the ball and Gus usually has a package to best utilize each backs best capabilities.

This is so true and obvious, yet there will be a million more threads debating who "should" tote the rock.

I highly doubt KJ will be redshirted. That just doesn't really happen anymore with these highly regarded recruits-- especially offensive skill positions. Count me as one who'd like to see KJ play some safety next year. With our logjam at RB, I think that's where he could make the biggest impact.

I said the same thing..

I just know that if he doesn't get many carries, there's gonna be all sorts of belly aching and wondering why. Just keep in mind he is competing against 2 5* RBs and a 4* RB. If he isn't getting carries, it's for a reason. Maybe he'd start on other teams, but he has a lot of competition here.

The backs will sort all of this out in practice, but I'll be surprised if Jovon isn't the primary back next year. JR is listed as 6' and 220 lbs by Scout, where Roc is 5' 10" 193 lbs on the official roster, that's almost 30 pounds in weight difference. That plus additional maturity favor Jovon. Of course, that says nothing about speed, pass catching, or the ability to make people miss. One of the great things Ronnie Brown brought was the ability to catch the ball. Remember those wheel routes?

Jovon reminds me of Brandon Jacobs. Good size and good speed. North and south runner. Excited to see since we never really got to see Jacobs during a season.

Jovon reminds me of Brandon Jacobs. Good size and good speed. North and south runner. Excited to see since we never really got to see Jacobs during a season.

Physically he's nothing like Brandon Jacobs.

Am I the only one who still thinks there's something to Stanton Truitt in the speed role?

You aren't the only one. I was thinking him as well. I think people kind of forgot about him because he redshirted last year.

Am I the only one who still thinks there's something to Stanton Truitt in the speed role?

You aren't the only one. I was thinking him as well. I think people kind of forgot about him because he redshirted last year.

Wasn't he a state champion in a sprint? If I remember correctly, I believe it was the 100.

The hard, irrefutable fact is that one or two of them are going to ride the pine. Those that want to play better show it in spring practice, play through minor injuries, make effective blocks, minimize mistakes and so forth. The faint of heart, mind or body will be left in the dust.

Such great competition is fine for those that win the spots, tough on those that don't quite cut it and just by looking at the numbers, some won't be out there.

The hard, irrefutable fact is that one or two of them are going to ride the pine. Those that want to play better show it in spring practice, play through minor injuries, make effective blocks, minimize mistakes and so forth. The faint of heart, mind or body will be left in the dust.

Such great competition is fine for those that win the spots, tough on those that don't quite cut it and just by looking at the numbers, some won't be out there.

Agree...or at least based on thee past. It is not Gus's nature to split time even when the talent level is very close. Someone is going to play 90% and the other will play here and there...which is my reason for hoping that Kerryon J goes to defense .....otherwise he is probably going to end up like some of those 5* kids we see at bama who spend their first few years on special teams.. Barring injuries, we are loaded at RB this year...but generally , only one guy is going to get the ball.

Archived