Pats Offense @ AU

Deckhead

However, I think we will see a little more versatility from the offense with JJ at QB than we did with NM. That doesn't mean we'll have overall better QB play, because NM was a force on the ground. We have yet to see if JJ can be the consistent threat through the air that NM was on the ground. I think we will see our WRs run a wider variety of routes, though. Maybe, if our TE's are capable, we will see the TE utilized more through the air as well.

I have the feeling TE won't be used very much except short yardage. It's the only position on the team without at least a 4*. Could be one of the reasons we haven't recruited an elite TE. Just not featured in CGM's offense (so far at least).

LUTZ.

However, I think we will see a little more versatility from the offense with JJ at QB than we did with NM. That doesn't mean we'll have overall better QB play, because NM was a force on the ground. We have yet to see if JJ can be the consistent threat through the air that NM was on the ground. I think we will see our WRs run a wider variety of routes, though. Maybe, if our TE's are capable, we will see the TE utilized more through the air as well.

I have the feeling TE won't be used very much except short yardage. It's the only position on the team without at least a 4*. Could be one of the reasons we haven't recruited an elite TE. Just not featured in CGM's offense (so far at least).

I think the reason for that is a failure to find another Lutz. He played hback TE and even split out at receiver allowing us to never have to change personal. TE is about being versital. We tried to bring back Ricky Parks but he never stayed outta trouble.

Lutz was never really featured, he was a strong redzone target. He worked hard to get there but he wasn't the most versatile guy either. He had much better hands but I don't think he was a better wr than uzomah. They both worked on blocking as well but neither was just unbelievable at it

If Uzomah couldn't block that well, why was he on the field? He was not a threat through the air at all. He only had 11 catches this season. Less than 1/game. Not being a jerk, really just an honest question. Gus doesn't like to use TE's much I don't think, but we also haven't had an NFL caliber TE since...well I guess we're still waiting lol.

Lutz had more involvement in the passing game it seems like than Uzomah did. He could make some sick catches.

Uzomah was a better overall player than Lutz if we're being 110% honest.

Not kicking him when he's down but Uzomah is just more versatile, neither could block well though.

LUTZIE holds single game, season and career records for touchdowns by a tightend as well as 3 game winning catches. IMS hard to ignore since our h-back tightens over the last 2 years have caught a like 20 passes in two season and Uzomazh had 11 mostly from receiver.

Uzomah was a good receiver. Look at his 4 years here. Not many accurate passes to go around until 2014, and then he was sharing the field with possibly the best WR tandem Auburn has ever fielded.

After watching the SB, and how efficient the Pats were on O, anyone here think that Gus could/would implement any of that with JJ at the helm? Plus, JJ is more mobile that Brady, so with the threat of the run, that should open up the "down the field" throws that were not open for the Pats. Even if you look at the Pats the whole year, they may run the ball 50 times in one game, and throw 50 times in another, depending on what the d gave em. It just seemed to me that the make up of their team (size and speed), and AU's looked similar, except that we would have a more mobile qb.

Shoot, I like their "tackle eligible" plays....seems with the big guys we have at H back, we could make a few subtle shifts and make Braden Smith an eligible receiver.

Braden Smith would have to change his number to be an eligible receiver. It's not just making shifts.

If i'm not mistaken, we ran a play a couple of years ago where Sammie was ineligible, we faked a pass to him, and a lineman was eligible, and completing a big play.

you are mistaken. I suggest you read some of the plays in the Football rules and interpretations thread pinned at the top of the forum. There's no such thing as a tackle eligible in college football.

We changed Braden Smith's number half way through the year so he could line up at H-Back. I think he was talking about the formation, eligible receiver lined up in the tackle position (CJ scored on such a play against LSU, then Bama used the same formation to pick up a first down when they played LSU late in the game). I don't think anyone cares what number the guy is wearing (the refs would of course, but no one on this board), simply meaning the alignment. And Yes, we covered Sammie more than once and had him retreat from the LOS at the snap and had NM pump fake to him. The tackle was not eligible on these plays but it did provide an element of misdirection, having the D cover a guy who is ineligible to receive a pass. Josh McDaniel didn't dream these plays up, they are staples in HS football throughout the country.

After watching the SB, and how efficient the Pats were on O, anyone here think that Gus could/would implement any of that with JJ at the helm? Plus, JJ is more mobile that Brady, so with the threat of the run, that should open up the "down the field" throws that were not open for the Pats. Even if you look at the Pats the whole year, they may run the ball 50 times in one game, and throw 50 times in another, depending on what the d gave em. It just seemed to me that the make up of their team (size and speed), and AU's looked similar, except that we would have a more mobile qb.

Shoot, I like their "tackle eligible" plays....seems with the big guys we have at H back, we could make a few subtle shifts and make Braden Smith an eligible receiver.

Braden Smith would have to change his number to be an eligible receiver. It's not just making shifts.

If i'm not mistaken, we ran a play a couple of years ago where Sammie was ineligible, we faked a pass to him, and a lineman was eligible, and completing a big play.

you are mistaken. I suggest you read some of the plays in the Football rules and interpretations thread pinned at the top of the forum. There's no such thing as a tackle eligible in college football.

We changed Braden Smith's number half way through the year so he could line up at H-Back. I think he was talking about the formation, eligible receiver lined up in the tackle position (CJ scored on such a play against LSU, then Bama used the same formation to pick up a first down when they played LSU late in the game). I don't think anyone cares what number the guy is wearing (the refs would of course, but no one on this board), simply meaning the alignment. And Yes, we covered Sammie more than once and had him retreat from the LOS at the snap and had NM pump fake to him. You do realize that Marshall could have thrown a backwards pass to coates right? Well to anybody actually. They still have to cover him even though he can't go downfield if its a pass. The tackle was not eligible on these plays but it did provide an element of misdirection, having the D cover a guy who is ineligible to receive a pass. Josh McDaniel didn't dream these plays up, they are staples in HS football throughout the country.

No it didn't. You don't think the defense knows who is eligible? Putting a lineman like a #73 way out wide confuses only the fans and announcers that don't understand the rules.

Archived