GOP has been hijacked by the "delusional wing of the party"

homersapien

http://www.huffingto..._b_6776066.html

Republicans Humiliate Boehner, Tee-Up Next Week's National Crisis

Fernando Espuelas

Univision America Host & contributor to NPR, The Hill, FoxNews Latino and other media

Humiliating their leader again, House Republicans rejected Speaker John Boehner's last minute, desperate attempt to fund the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for three weeks. Instead, in what is another sad look at how truly incapable of governing today's Republican Party is, a one week emergency extension was passed with massive Democratic Party support.

Howls from the right-wing caucus seeking a knife fight over the DHS bill could be heard across Capitol Hill. And moderates are equally outraged that the GOP has been hijacked by the "delusional wing of the party," as Rep. Pete King (R-NY) said.

There are now even rumors of a coup against Boehner as the anti-immigrant radicals of his party are still incapable of understanding the basic mechanics of how Congress works -- namely, that without 60 votes in the Senate, Republicans cannot simply dictate legislation.

As Republican factions will continue to struggle this week with getting out of the DHS funding trap they themselves set, at this point seemingly incapable of advancing with a clean, long-term funding bill in the House in spite of the Senate's overwhelming, bi-partisan vote in favor of funding America's premier anti-terrorism agencies, the country looks on with a sinking feeling.

Sure, Republicans, at least since President Reagan, have identified "the" problem as the government itself. That, of course, did not keep Reagan from working with Democrats on a slew of reforms, including extending the lives of Social Security and Medicare. For a man who grew up in the Depression, the idea of old people falling into poverty after retirement was an all-too-clear possibility for Reagan -- and Social Security had forever changed that grim reality of American society.

But as a few snowballs rolling off a mountain tend to do, the anti-government sentiments unleashed by the Gipper have now become an avalanche, threatening the very fabric of the American social compact.

Witness the awesomeness of Rep. Paul Ryan's (R-Wis.) budget. While its attack on arithmetic is monumental, the incapacity to learn from 35 years of failed trickle-down policies that it displays is stunning. Cut taxes for the rich and the U.S. Treasury will overflow with new tax revenue -- except that has never happened. Under-invest in public education and people will be more educated, somehow.

America has now gone from the No. 1 global ranking in public education outcomes to an objective disaster. Cut the safety net for the poor and people will make it, anyway -- yet the United States now only beats wealth-challenged Romania for highest per capita number of poor children of the top 35 developed nations in the world.

And while these empirically challenged Tea Party policies would, in a free market, already be discredited and hounded out of the public debate for their sheer lack of efficacy, Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wis.), recently leading in the Iowa polls, will have to delay Wisconsin's debt payments in order to balance his trickle-down budget.

Meanwhile, in Kansas, Gov. Sam Brownback ®, a potential dark horse for the GOP nomination, has not only slashed more dollars from public education; he had to also raise taxes to fill the budget holes he created with the implementation of a full-frontal trickle-down Tea Party dream budget.

Of course, it's anathema to Republicans to even utter, "George W. Bush," but during Bush II's administration, we first saw the full display of proto-Tea Party policies that led the country to double its national debt while simultaneously tipping the national and global economies into a broad-scale financial collapse. Aside from that, Bush's tax cuts and erasing of regulations worked marvelously.

So why is the free market failing so badly in consigning trickle-down and the broader Tea Party agenda into the dustbin of history? Short answer: There is no free market of ideas in the United States. You have to pay to play in our democracy now.

The outsized influence of unregulated corporate and wealthy donor money that now lubricates American politics and policy-making has taken away the possibility to really debate and challenge Republican Party orthodoxy. In an unintentionally revelatory disclosure, anti-immigration hardliner Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.), trying to justify the blocking of the DHS funding bill, told The Hill, "If I was a donor to some of these senators that just won election and was told things would be different in a new Senate, I'd be pretty pissed. We put [senate Minority Leader] Harry Reid [D-Nev.] back in charge of the Senate again?"

The "we" in Huelskamp's declaration refers to GOP donors. Without even blushing, the congressman betrays his true priorities: the opinion of hefty wallets driving their private agendas through big donations to people like Huelskamp and the rest of the GOP.

Conspicuously absent is any concern from the congressman about the voters -- or even the citizenry at large -- who could be put at risk should DHS lose its funding due to a Tea Party maneuver to destroy President Obama's immigration executive order, a stunt that has now failed spectacularly.

This progression makes perfect sense. The Tea Party is a manufactured platform, created by Koch brothers money, executed by former GOP operatives, as well as Koch affiliates like Americans for Prosperity, and focused on electing a Congress that would reflect the will and priorities of special economic interests and their beneficiaries. Theinitial $12 million investment by the Koch machine into Freedomworks to get the ball rolling was a masterful exercise in Machiavellian pure power politics.

Americans are paying close attention to the gruesome, yet fascinating spectacle of aRepublican civil war that seems to have spread with winning control of Congress. As next week unfolds, voters will be treated to yet another display of their government flaying around as it tries to fulfill the most basic of its Constitutional functions -- funding critical national security agencies that protect the nation.

And that should worry the real Republicans as their party's branding increasingly looks like the Whig Party's, pre-implosion.

Follow Fernando Espuelas on Twitter: www.twitter.com/espuelasvox

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article lost me when it referred to the murderous, insane Peter King as a moderate. If the current state of the GOP has him throwing petulant tantrums, I feel compelled to nod in approval.

The GOP is run by people who believe in basically the same things as democrats do. They aren't really opposed to anything the president wants to do. They pretend they are but they aren't.

Humor is when Leftists try to tell the GOP what it ought and ought not to do.

Only homer could waste a thousand hours telling everyone that we should not be stereotyping ALL Muslims as terrorists but watch him turn around and in a nano-second be talking about how "Republicans" are humiliating Boehner.

TRUTH: A few in one of these crazy inept parties we have in America may be having a debate with their leadership. I KNOW I KNOW, Democrats do not like anyone not taking the PC Talking points as gospel. They want every single person in the world goose stepping right along with their craziness or else they will have to start calling them racists, Islamophobes, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. Rinse and Repeat, SSDD. As reliable as the sun coming up in the morning.

ACA? Accept it 100% or be smeared as whatever the PC talking points say that day.

KXLP? Accept their craziness 100% or be smeared as whatever the PC talking points say that day.

AGW? Accept it 100% or be smeared as whatever the PC talking points say that day.

WHATEVER THEY SAY? Accept it 100% or be smeared as whatever the PC talking points say that day.

And now you know the meme of the "accepting, open minded Left" from now until eternity.

Dont need to worry yo lil head checking anything out, just accept what your self appointed superiors blindly say and then you wont be shredded and smeared as hate mongerer, warmongerer, racist, homophobe, woman hating, Islamophobe, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

It was the Rolling Stone who just gave us the fake rape story, which it retracted, so tell us again why anyone would buy their opinion on --- ANYTHING ?

It was the Rolling Stone who just gave us the fake rape story, which it retracted, so tell us again why anyone would buy their opinion on --- ANYTHING ?

Well they're liberal for one thing. That in and of itself is reason enough for some. All the major "respected" news outlets could have run this story and probably will run something similar to it at some point. They'll all point out how it will be a mistake for republicans to nominate Walker. They could insert Cruz, Paul, Carson or any conservative into the article and just change the name and maybe a few little things to make it look like it's a brand new analysis of that particular individual. The idea that these people are really and genuinely interested in our welfare is truly the laughable part of this.

Only homer could waste a thousand hours telling everyone that we should not be stereotyping ALL Muslims as terrorists but watch him turn around and in a nano-second be talking about how "Republicans" are humiliating Boehner.

TRUTH: A few in one of these crazy inept parties we have in America may be having a debate with their leadership. I KNOW I KNOW, Democrats do not like anyone not taking the PC Talking points as gospel. They want every single person in the world goose stepping right along with their craziness or else they will have to start calling them racists, Islamophobes, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. Rinse and Repeat, SSDD. As reliable as the sun coming up in the morning.

ACA? Accept it 100% or be smeared as whatever the PC talking points say that day.

KXLP? Accept their craziness 100% or be smeared as whatever the PC talking points say that day.

AGW? Accept it 100% or be smeared as whatever the PC talking points say that day.

WHATEVER THEY SAY? Accept it 100% or be smeared as whatever the PC talking points say that day.

And now you know the meme of the "accepting, open minded Left" from now until eternity.

Dont need to worry yo lil head checking anything out, just accept what your self appointed superiors blindly say and then you wont be shredded and smeared as hate mongerer, warmongerer, racist, homophobe, woman hating, Islamophobe, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

"Post of the Day". Tip of the hat to you Sir.

The article lost me when it referred to the murderous, insane Peter King as a moderate. If the current state of the GOP has him throwing petulant tantrums, I feel compelled to nod in approval.

Him being relatively moderate just highlights how extreme they are.

The definition of extremist or delusional to liberals is anyone that believes in the founding of the country as it was intended by the founders. If you believe in traditional values such as marriage between one biological man and one biological woman, then you are an extremist. If you believe in 2nd amendment, you are an extremist. If you believe in restraint of government and putting it back within the constraints of the constitution, you are an extremist. If you believe in American exceptionalism and the basic goodness of America, you are an extremist. If you don't buy the global warming, you are an extremist. If you believe in securing Americas borders and stopping illegal immigration, you are an extremist. I could go on but you get the point.

The definition of extremist or delusional to liberals is anyone that believes in the founding of the country as it was intended by the founders. If you believe in traditional values such as marriage between one biological man and one biological woman, then you are an extremist. If you believe in 2nd amendment, you are an extremist. If you believe in restraint of government and putting it back within the constraints of the constitution, you are an extremist. If you believe in American exceptionalism and the basic goodness of America, you are an extremist. If you don't buy the global warming, you are an extremist. If you believe in securing Americas borders and stopping illegal immigration, you are an extremist. I could go on but you get the point.

If you don't think the US defaulting on its debt has negative consequences, you are an extremist. If you compare Americans exercising their First Amendment rights to murderous terrorists, you are an extremist.

Feel better after getting all that out?

Bottom line, the Tea Party wing of the GOP humiliated Boehner. That's simple fact. He is a majority "leader" who can't deliver his own party vote.

So divert and obfuscate all you want, it doesn't change the basis of this topic.

"What a nice guy" (fixed that for Ya).......

I did not post that. Timmy is going in and changing my posts.

Yep I get the point all right. You have a persecution complex. :ucrazy:

If you don't think the US defaulting on its debt has negative consequences, you are an extremist. If you compare Americans exercising their First Amendment rights to murderous terrorists, you are an extremist.

The US defaulting on its debt is a big ole fattened up straw man. It never would have happened regardless.

If simply refusing to be a party to egregious lawlessness and the willful disregard for the Constitution is considered extremist count me in. I hope they shut the whole damned thing down! This President has over reached his authority that will have terrible after effects on the republic. A President cannot simply refuse to not only not enforce the law but in so doing grant substantive rights to aliens thats going to cost states $100s of millions of dollars in education, healthcare and welfare without those states consent. Calling this president delusional would be generous at this point.

Feel better after getting all that out?

Bottom line, the Tea Party wing of the GOP humiliated Boehner. That's simple fact. He is a majority "leader" who can't deliver his own party vote.

So divert and obfuscate all you want, it doesn't change the basis of this topic.

Well, it wasnt stated that some small part of the Republican Party is undermining Boehner, it was stated as "Republicans."

BTW, Harry Reid couldnt even deliver a budget for something like 4 straight years.

Here we go.

I think defaulting on the US Debt AND driving US Debt evermore higher should both be highest priorities.

Why cant we address both issues?

I seem to vividly recall during the Bush Presidency that the clarion call from the left was...."dissent is the highest form of patriotism" Now it seems they have "evolved" the way their delusional lying leader has. Anything less than rolling over and saying, "more please" is decried as delusional and/or unpatriotic. It has always been thus with the left..."do as I say NOT as I do".

Please don't force anyone to post a video of a screeching Hillary, when she was railing exactly about that point.

I seem to vividly recall during the Bush Presidency that the clarion call from the left was...."dissent is the highest form of patriotism" Now it seems they have "evolved" the way their delusional lying leader has. Anything less than rolling over and saying, "more please" is decried as delusional and/or unpatriotic. It has always been thus with the left..."do as I say NOT as I do".

Good point.

For years, decades even, the left had everything their way. They controlled Congress and the republicans were of the Bob Michael type who once commented that when he looked in the mirror he saw a loser Bob Dole and others were the same. They didn't challenge the democrats. They went along with it and all was well. The old blue blood republicans were pro business but didn't want to touch social issues. Abortion opponents were and are scary bad people. They loved the party circuit in D.C. where everyone was all buddy buddy and all of that. The tea party and conservatives came along and upset the apple cart. They made a connection with the average American citizen that saw their country moving in a direction they didn't like. This could not and would not be tolerated. The long knives came out and people are branded as extremist for holding a traditional view of the country. They are branded as old fuddy duddy and out of touch with modern America. They want to take you back to the days of Jim Crowe and even slavery if you are a black man. If you are a woman they want you barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen. If you don't believe in abortion on demand and at any stage of pregnancy you hate women. They don't like people like Scott Walker who dare challenge their union stranglehold on the education system. They don't like people like Ted Cruz and Trey Gowdy who will challenge them and not back down. GOPers are supposed to be meek and mild and go along with whatever the liberals in both parties want and when they don't they are called extremists. Our founding fathers were considered extremists too. There wasn't universal support for independence from England. They stood up in the face of certain ridicule, loss of everything they owned and even death to bring this nation into existence. I will not sit idly by and watch it go down without a fight. I proudly wear the label of extremist.

Here we go.

I think defaulting on the US Debt AND driving US Debt evermore higher should both be highest priorities.

Good question. Start with fewer wars, negotiation on drug prices and reasonable revenue enhancements.

Here we go.

Good question. Start with fewer wars, negotiation on drug prices and reasonable revenue enhancements.

Revenue enhancements? What is a revenue enhancement? The last time I checked; government doesn't produce revenue....revenue is the income derived from actual production of a good or service someone wants to pay for.

Archived