Paul: Current criminal laws create situation 'somewhat like segregation'

AUUSN

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairness is in the eye of the beholder.

When you get to the pearly gates, try that one on God.

Really? That's your come come back? What we're talking about is the concept fair does not exist in an absolute sense and you seem to totally miss that point. Its relative just like everything else in life and, as a result, what's fair is a relative measure based on individual perspective. Now. I realize you lefties think you know whats fair for EVERYBODY because you know whats best for everyone anyway and, furthermore, insist on being the final arbiters of what's fair. In that context, fairness becomes a political issue.

You miss the point. Fairness is a value - like justice. Neither may exist but that doesn't diminish their moral importance.

To simply write fairness off as non-existent - or a "political issue" - is immoral.

"Fairness", IMHO, is a very low base line. VERY low. God did not tell us to be "fait" to one another. HIS base line is FAR higher.

Once again, didn't the founders of this country break away from another because they felt they weren't being treated fairly?

Once again, didn't the founders of this country break away from another because they felt they weren't being treated fairly?

They felt they were not being allowed basic human rights that they believed were granted by God not by a King. It wasn't about what they felt was fair but rather what they believed was their destiny...independence and the attendant ability to govern themselves in accordance with that basic idea.

They felt they were not being allowed basic human rights that they believed were granted by God not by a King. It wasn't about what they felt was fair but rather what they believed was their destiny...independence and the attendant ability to govern themselves in accordance with that basic idea.

But what did they know?.......

Fairness is made by each individual, unless God comes down and settles every occurrence from wars to forum posts what is "fair" is going to change from person to person.

Let's take an example from a few pages earlier, lets say after wartim made his stance known about his children that I immediately chimed in with something negative about them, let's say something light-hearted to make it even easier, like I said they weren't big enough AU fans or something.

Then let's imagine that Wartim cussed me out, banned me from the forums, then tracked my IP to find my house and murder me in my sleep. Would that be fair? Most would say not...

What if he just cussed and banned me? Some would say it was fair, others that it wasn't fair.

What if he just gave a warning of "hey, don't do that again. I don't like it" Most would say that is fair.

What I'm getting at is that "fairness" is definitely not universal. You can however go off a baseline by a "majority rules" way of thinking. Whatever most people believe to be fair is what will be thought of as fair.

But on a lot of smaller or grey area issues you are going to have "fair" fall on both sides of the fence.

Obviously the sewing circle has met...... : - )

Fairness is made by each individual, unless God comes down and settles every occurrence from wars to forum posts what is "fair" is going to change from person to person.

Let's take an example from a few pages earlier, lets say after wartim made his stance known about his children that I immediately chimed in with something negative about them, let's say something light-hearted to make it even easier, like I said they weren't big enough AU fans or something.

Then let's imagine that Wartim cussed me out, banned me from the forums, then tracked my IP to find my house and murder me in my sleep. Would that be fair? Most would say not...

What if he just cussed and banned me? Some would say it was fair, others that it wasn't fair.

What if he just gave a warning of "hey, don't do that again. I don't like it" Most would say that is fair.

What I'm getting at is that "fairness" is definitely not universal. You can however go off a baseline by a "majority rules" way of thinking. Whatever most people believe to be fair is what will be thought of as fair.

But on a lot of smaller or grey area issues you are going to have "fair" fall on both sides of the fence.

Yes indeed. Now if you can get itchy to understand that then you will have accomplished something.

Yes indeed. Now if you can get itchy to understand that then you will have accomplished something.

Good luck with that and the rest of the Jonestowners sewing circle. Those ladies have been a busy bunch!!!

Archived