Why its hard to Talk about Racism

This is the thing about language, guys. If people start using a word as a racial slur, it becomes a racial slur irrespective of its previous meanings or connotations.

Thug has been migrating in the direction of the black brute stereotype for several years now. Having a perfectly good word ruined by bigots sucks, but there are enough people who use thug in a racially-loaded manner that the newfound connotations can't be ignored.

Perhaps the use of thug has been so used by some, but I see it used universally. As you refer to black brute (brute meaning beast like person), we can start saying black thug or white thug to keep everyone happy or unhappy.

Why should I be concerned about their happiness or lack of same? I will not allow PC morons to edit my vocabulary.......

I want to see how far you're willing to carry this concept.

I want to see you reenact that scene from Die Hard with a Vengeance in the West End of Birmingham. :roflol:

Of course you do. :)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the thing about language, guys. If people start using a word as a racial slur, it becomes a racial slur irrespective of its previous meanings or connotations.

Thug has been migrating in the direction of the black brute stereotype for several years now. Having a perfectly good word ruined by bigots sucks, but there are enough people who use thug in a racially-loaded manner that the newfound connotations can't be ignored.

Perhaps the use of thug has been so used by some, but I see it used universally. As you refer to black brute (brute meaning beast like person), we can start saying black thug or white thug to keep everyone happy or unhappy.

Why should I be concerned about their happiness or lack of same? I will not allow PC morons to edit my vocabulary.......

I want to see you reenact that scene from Die Hard with a Vengeance in the West End of Birmingham. :roflol:/>

I'll be happy to pay his hospital bill, because that's just the kind of guy I am. ;)

I want to see you reenact that scene from Die Hard with a Vengeance in the West End of Birmingham. :roflol:/>

I'll be happy to pay his hospital bill, because that's just the kind of guy I am. ;)

:laugh:

Ben i guess i understand to an extent as i will never display a rebel flag. I learned long ago no matter the intention it is seen as hurtful or intimidating. That has been my whole life. I can't, not after all these years of using the word "thug " and remembering it was introduced to me by a teacher who is black to describe a white person, accept it as the new " n-word". I can't accept that.

I want to see you reenact that scene from Die Hard with a Vengeance in the West End of Birmingham. :roflol:

I don't think "PC morons" are the same as what would happen in that situation.

PC isn't what would keep me from telling a real life Tony Soprano that I hate Italians and am calling the cops on him. :)

And right on time...joke it off

certainly not a joke to me. Imo it is over sensitivity.

That's a subjective standard.

Does no one else find this funny? BigBen, you do this a lot and no one else finds it hilarious.

Random poster: I like PEANUTS!

BigBen immediate response: Peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes.

Random poster: Yeah, but I like peanuts!

BigBen response: That is your opinion and is not relative to the prime objective.

I beg to differ. I - for one - find it hilarious.

And right on time...joke it off

certainly not a joke to me. Imo it is over sensitivity.

That's a subjective standard.

Does no one else find this funny? BigBen, you do this a lot and no one else finds it hilarious.

Random poster: I like PEANUTS!

BigBen immediate response: Peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes.

Random poster: Yeah, but I like peanuts!

BigBen response: That is your opinion and is not relative to the prime objective.

I beg to differ. I - for one - find it hilarious.

I forgot about you, so there's two of us now.

I don't think "PC morons" are the same as what would happen in that situation.

PC isn't what would keep me from telling a real life Tony Soprano that I hate Italians and am calling the cops on him. :)

Not exactly the same. To make the situations a more equivalent, imagine walking up to Tony Soprano and saying "you know what I don't like about wops?"

Of course you do. :)/>

I'll be happy to pay his hospital bill, because that's just the kind of guy I am. ;)/>

the "kind of guy" you are is beneath me !

I'll be happy to pay his hospital bill, because that's just the kind of guy I am. ;)/>

Somebody has an over valued opinion of themselves....then you raise children to think like you and the feel like you're better than a person and act accordingly cycle continues...

Somebody has an over valued opinion of themselves....then you raise children to think like you and the feel like you're better than a person and act accordingly cycle continues...

I am selective... :-)

Divide and Conquer. This thread is a perfect reason "TPTB" make sure that we are all bombarded daily with stories that will divide a population. Because "they" know that if we ever put our differences aside, and place our frustrations, anger on the correct target, then it is game over for "them".

Divide and Conquer. This thread is a perfect reason "TPTB" make sure that we are all bombarded daily with stories that will divide a population. Because "they" know that if we ever put our differences aside, and place our frustrations, anger on the correct target, then it is game over for "them".

tin_foil_hat.gif

The cycle dies Cole. It's not 100%, but with each generation bit thoughts of the last waste away.

*SNIP*

The cycle dies Cole. It's not 100%, but with each generation bit thoughts of the last waste away.

Never seems like it's moving fast enough though, does it?

*SNIP*

Nope. Tired of the labels myself....I didn't own anyone.

*SNIP*

No, you didn't. You did, however, have some advantages from being a member of a privileged class. So did I.

(I said the "P" word. Now the fun begins. ;D)

*SNIP*

That's also part of the cycle;)

For some it never moves fast enough, for others it always moves too fast.

*SNIP*

No, you didn't. You did, however, have some advantages from being a member of a privileged class. So did I.

Let's see. I grew up a poor kid on a Mill Hill that had long since degraded into a remnant of itself. Only by the grace of God did I not end up a child of the state. Yeah....I'd say I owe everyone a ton by now.

*SNIP*

Let's see. I grew up a poor kid on a Mill Hill that had long since degraded into a remnant of itself. Only by the grace of God did I not end up a child of the state. Yeah....I'd say I owe everyone a ton by now.

I didn't say your road was easy.

*SNIP*

I didn't say your road was easy.

I didn't choose my birth "rights" either.

I didn't choose my birth "rights" either.

No one does.

Archived