Realistic expectations for our defense 2015..

tbone4jc

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best we've ever had at second half adjustments was Ted Roof. Admittedly, his first half plans weren't much but he did some magic after halftime!

Top 30/40 in total D shouldn't be unreasonable. That would be ~40/50 yards better a game. Top 15 in scoring, 26.7 to about 20.1 a game. That would be my goal

If our defense can have games like our first four wins last year, with zero games like aTm, UGa, or aut, I'll be smiling all year.

But realistically, I think holding opponents to 28 points next year is doable with Muschamp and the talent we have, and will insure a Playoff berth with Malzahn's offense. It's up to the players' heads as to whether it DOES get done however.

I was referring to ROC being the most physically gifted back since Carnell. To Mikey's point, I think CAP was an average talent at rbs, with great effort he maximized his potential. I fail to see how another "unproven" rb with the talent of ROC, or for that matter Barber or JR, won't chew up yards this year, especially after the unproven Jeremy Johnson leads the league in passer efficiency (my predictions based solely on what my eyes tell me). I feel like the offensive line is pretty solid, although I'm not liking what I see from Young at RT... He doesn't bend well and looks slow to set his feet in pass pro, I saw 47 embarrass him more than once in the Spring game. Liked him at guard, unsure about RT. Grimes days he has 7 OL he feels good about, for now I'll believe what that fiery little man has to say.

On defense it's going to come down to whether these minnows are ready for manhood. Once they have enough repetition in the different fronts and coverage schemes, it'll be up to them to play angry and have some damned attitude. You can't play at that level without ferocity.

I have every expectation that- due to improved schemes, better play calling, and a massively more intense coach- Auburn's defense will begin the season as better than adequate; and that by the end of the season they will have gelled and developed swagger, and that they be the source of major embarrassment for dinky-bear and company.

You have single handedly ALMOST forced an early Nip Watch!!! I agree 100%

Top 30/40 in total D shouldn't be unreasonable. That would be ~40/50 yards better a game. Top 15 in scoring, 26.7 to about 20.1 a game. That would be my goal

If the AU defense improves like that, AU will likely win at least 10-12 games. That is what I hope to see, now with learning a new defensive system under CWM, I'm trying to have to much hope in that regard, but with the additions of Matthews and Countess in the secondary with the other returning DBs, the secondary could actually be pretty good. If the DL can get back to form with Cowart and Lawson anchoring on the ends, with a true pass rush threat, then I can see this D improving with numbers like that.

Quite honestly, I firmly believe the only big downfall of the defense, and ultimately the team, last season was the lack of a consistent pass rush from the front four. With Lawson and Lambert back, plus Cowart, Tega, and a host of freshmen from last year's class who have a year under their belts now, we should have the depth to get good pressure even if one or two guys go down, unlike last season when Lawson's injury decimated the pass rush.

Thus, I feel like we can realistically expect the defense to be far more consistent, at the very least...and I don't think it's too far fetched to believe the production is going to be night and day just because of that one factor. That's not the same as saying that we will be greatly improved, only that there is a much better chance thereof than seems to be the general consensus of the prognosticators.

The best we've ever had at second half adjustments was Ted Roof. Admittedly, his first half plans weren't much but he did some magic after halftime!

Thank you. I have never seen such a Jekyll-Hyde defense in my life. I would love to see stats of that years game broken down between 1st and 2nd half.

Quite honestly, I firmly believe the only big downfall of the defense, and ultimately the team, last season was the lack of a consistent pass rush from the front four. With Lawson and Lambert back, plus Cowart, Tega, and a host of freshmen from last year's class who have a year under their belts now, we should have the depth to get good pressure even if one or two guys go down, unlike last season when Lawson's injury decimated the pass rush.

Thus, I feel like we can realistically expect the defense to be far more consistent, at the very least...and I don't think it's too far fetched to believe the production is going to be night and day just because of that one factor. That's not the same as saying that we will be greatly improved, only that there is a much better chance thereof than seems to be the general consensus of the prognosticators.

Good assessment. It's not like we need to rebuild, it's more like addressing particular weaknesses.

(IMO of course. I don't really know s*** - other than noticing our secondary frequently got savaged.)

Good assessment. It's not like we need to rebuild, it's more like addressing particular weaknesses.

(IMO of course. I don't really know s*** - other than noticing our secondary frequently got savaged.)

defense had plenty of weakness. I agree the pass rush was on top of the list. The 2nd and third levels were not good enough to cover for the bad rush and may not have been a whole lot better, but really didn't have a chance.

I just want the defense to not be worse than the offense is good like we saw last year.

defense had plenty of weakness. I agree the pass rush was on top of the list. The 2nd and third levels were not good enough to cover for the bad rush and may not have been a whole lot better, but really didn't have a chance.

No secondary is good enough to cover without a pass rush.

No secondary is good enough to cover without a pass rush.

Nope. Especially not when they're in single man coverage most of the time.

A lot of the perceived "glaring" weaknesses of the secondary was predicated off the overly aggressive bad diagnosis of one that has moved on.

I just want the defense to not be worse than the offense is good like we saw last year.

It won't be, we have will muschamp, not cej, Nuff Said

A lot of the perceived "glaring" weaknesses of the secondary was predicated off the overly aggressive bad diagnosis of one that has moved on.

Now that makes perfect sense :-\

I'm not sure there is a thread on here that doesn't have A4E and his JJ bashing or you and your CEJ schtick polluting it. Get over it. We all know where you stand, there is no need for either of you to keep reminding us. Please quit.

I maintain that the other weaknesses in the defense were more symptoms of that one glaring weakness. We were able to cover it up for a while (remember how good the defense looked against Kansas State?), but as offensive coordinators figured out what we were doing to mask the issue, everything started coming apart at the seams.

Let us not forget that we were in the top 5 going into the second weekend of November last season; that doesn't happen without some kind of defensive contribution.

I maintain that the other weaknesses in the defense were more symptoms of that one glaring weakness. We were able to cover it up for a while (remember how good the defense looked against Kansas State?), but as offensive coordinators figured out what we were doing to mask the issue, everything started coming apart at the seams.

Let us not forget that we were in the top 5 going into the second weekend of November last season; that doesn't happen without some kind of defensive contribution.

Raw talent only goes so far before the wheels fall off. I believe there was a bad seed in the defense that was bringing everyone down with him. He's gone now and I think we see a difference next year in leadership.

I'm not sure there is a thread on here that doesn't have A4E and his JJ bashing or you and your CEJ schtick polluting it. Get over it. We all know where you stand, there is no need for either of you to keep reminding us. Please quit.

Hit a sore spot huh? U were one of CEJ's biggest supporters so I understand you are still grieving. I'm over it, I'm just not over the worst AU records on defense ever yet, or the natty that was in our hands that was gift wrapped to fsu because of you know who

Hit a sore spot huh? U were one of CEJ's biggest supporters so I understand you are still grieving. I'm over it, I'm just not over the worst AU records on defense ever yet, or the natty that was in our hands that was gift wrapped to fsu because of you know who

Seems to be a bigger sore spot for you. I was also one of Johnson's biggest supporters, but I'm not grieving for his loss. The only thing that saddens me is how much the vast majority of the Auburn fan base is going to have the same opinion you do, failing to recognize the abject lack of fundamental defensive play CEJ inherited.

I still maintain that he did far more for the shape of Auburn's defense than he will ever get amongst the fan base purely by priming them so well for the next guy. Johnson was the old school coach who taught sound fundamentals, and with those in place as the foundation, bringing in Boom should be enough to ignite the fire under a much more prepared group of players.

I'm expecting a defense. Not a great defense, but a defense. we haven't had one for the past good many years. If he had had any defense at all in 2013 Auburn would have won the NC.

Again, not expecting any miracles, just a real defense for the first+ time in ages.

Seems to be a bigger sore spot for you. I was also one of Johnson's biggest supporters, but I'm not grieving for his loss. The only thing that saddens me is how much the vast majority of the Auburn fan base is going to have the same opinion you do, failing to recognize the abject lack of fundamental defensive play CEJ inherited.

I still maintain that he did far more for the shape of Auburn's defense than he will ever get amongst the fan base purely by priming them so well for the next guy. Johnson was the old school coach who taught sound fundamentals, and with those in place as the foundation, bringing in Boom should be enough to ignite the fire under a much more prepared group of players.

Ask southern miss. how they feel about cej, it's not a sore spot for me. I'm just not willing to accept mediocre coaching just because he's on AU's staff, like u and others. He used to be a good coach, keyword used to be

Archived