Realistic expectations for our defense 2015..

tbone4jc

I think one key will be the defense improving as the seasons goes along. I'm not sure if our defense's regression later in the season last year was due to depth issues, playing better opposition, or locker room issues; but the defense that played against UGA, Alabama,and Wisconsin di not look like the defense that played against Arkansas and LSU.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to see fundamental football on defense. To be honest i don't expect much improvement from the secondary. I think the talent is there with Jones and Josh but Jones needs to be more consistent and JOsh has the talent but will have to adjust coming back to DB and still overcoming his ACL injury. It may take Josh 3-4 games to get re-adjusted. I expect Tray to ball out.

Like others have stated i hope to see Tre and Deshawn on the field frequently. Our front 7 is going to have to be HUGE.

I just want: 1.) Don't look completely lost on assignments and blow coverages all over the field. 2.) TACKLE...TACKLE...PLEASE TACKLE!

I think one key will be the defense improving as the seasons goes along. I'm not sure if our defense's regression later in the season last year was due to depth issues, playing better opposition, or locker room issues; but the defense that played against UGA, Alabama,and Wisconsin di not look like the defense that played against Arkansas and LSU.

IMO - the D gets checked out on film like just the offense does and by mid season all the holes, all the schemes, and all the scare was known, or gone, or injured.

As for this year, I'm in the camp that any improvement will go a long way toward finishing very high in SEC West, And that with a couple decisive wins the demeanor and drive on that side of the ball will be contagious. Of course a lot will depend on the health factor, so with Louisville, LSU, and Miss St in the first four games, the next cream puff and following off week might be spent healing up instead of scheming for things to come. And that by Amen Corner the freshmen will no longer be untried but showing what quantities they possess. The meat of the schedule with back to back Arkansas, Ole Miss, TxAm, and Georgia is going require some stepping so I can see what Coach Muschamp has been alluding to with his comments.

My expectations are for this class to up'ing the bar for our next crop of defensive recruits, while making themselves proud and holding their heads held high for a change. And just the ability to make second half changes will be a sight to see. I'm just afraid that being a little too thin on players, is going to result in some mighty fine spectating as the season draws down.

Defensive End will be a huge improvement Lawson back and healthy Cowart young but will be a stud will take sometime to catch up to SEC speed and power couple young guys from last year like Kennion, Lawrence, President Williams, Thornton will need to step up for depth. Montravius is a hoss a DT will need others to step up like Swain, Russell Lawrence. LBrs Cass Frost Davis Williams will be solid. DBs thin but what we have are very good Safety Trey Matthews and Ford both great. Cornerbacks Jonathan Jones and Josh Holsey are both good.

Key is to play with same intensity as what we saw during spring, gang tackle and no injuries especially to DB's Will need to develop a couple of freshman DB's for depth.

One thing I'm looking forward to is Lawson taking some of the pressure off of MA. There were games last year where he would be double if not triple teamed and held. Hopefully Lawson can draw off some of those from him and let MA wreak havoc in the backfield. This should also allow for an unknown to be able to step up and make some plays.

Some of these 4* secondary players from '14 and '15 are just going to have to earn their keep, step up and provide solid depth to for Matthews, Ford, Holsey and Jones.

'14 class- Roberts 4*, Ruffin 4*

'15 class- Irvin 4*, Colbert 4*, Atkinson 4*, C. Davis 4*, J. Davis 4*, Dean 4* (if eligible). Dinson 3* is a pretty good one per TRob and walk-on Sherwood showed promise.

IMO the defense will be improved, if for no other reason than CWM will not put up with anything less than total effort. In other words you don't perform you don't play. That simple. :muscles:

IMO the defense will be improved, if for no other reason than CWM will not put up with anything less than total effort. In other words you don't perform you don't play. That simple. :muscles:/>

That's it^^

Play hard, get after people's ass, make tackles, run to the ball. You may still suck but at least look like you care about defense and playing hard. Muschamp won't put up with half-assing it like we've seen since 2009.

Preach it!

If we're even average, I'll be happy. Of course I want them to be above average, but I'm tempering my expectations.

An average defense last year would've helped us win at least two more games.

I agree.

wde

Three Words: Lawson and Cowhart

Lawson will have an immediate impact and as the year goes on Cowart will become a player. It is a big jump from Top HS DE to playing in the SEC as a freshman. He has all the tools but remember Lawson took a while to make an impact and that was with Ford at DE. It will happen but he won't be a star on day1.

Three Words: Lawson and Cowhart

Lawson will have an immediate impact and as the year goes on Cowart will become a player. It is a big jump from Top HS DE to playing in the SEC as a freshman. He has all the tools but remember Lawson took a while to make an impact and that was with Ford at DE. It will happen but he won't be a star on day1.

true..true..he most definitely will make a big impact, maybe not immediately but he can be our clowney, a fan can only hope...

I believe the D line will create pressure and play well against the run which will help everyone out. I guess with CGM & CWM saying they were pleased with the lb's isn't enough for some people. CWM said he felt good about 4 LB's for two spots just not naming starters. CGM was asked who stood out this spring and he singled out the LB's. But I guess they either don't know or are lying. You tell me. DB play will be good if everyone stays healthy and 1 or 2 of the young bucks step up. Over all we'll be much improved. CWM, T-Rob, CRG and CLT will have these guys ready. War Eagle!!!!

Not worried about LB play. We have three that can play that position and have loads of talent. Problem could be depth if one of the starters go down to injury.

CB is where we are really, really thin. Hosley has always had tons of potential and a great work ethic. Here's hoping for the first time since at AU, he can stay healthy and injury free.

Much of our success (or the lack thereof), at CB is going to depend upon how healthy our starters stay for the entire season. This is especially true until some of the incoming freshmen can understand the system and get some real game experience. If our starters can remain healthy, we should be good here. If the injury bug bites, we could be in real trouble here.

I expect us to be middle of the pack this year with the potential to have a top 3 defense. I know "potential" is a tricky word but the talent is certainly there. We've got playmakers at each level of the defense and solid coaches. I don't buy into the whole "it takes a few years for the players to buy into/learn _____'s scheme." These coaches are paid millions of dollars to come in and make an immediate impact. I fully believe that's possible this year with our defense.

I'd be happy with a top 5 defense and absolutely thrilled with top 3.

I expect us to be middle of the pack this year with the potential to have a top 3 defense. I know "potential" is a tricky word but the talent is certainly there. We've got playmakers at each level of the defense and solid coaches. I don't buy into the whole "it takes a few years for the players to buy into/learn _____'s scheme." These coaches are paid millions of dollars to come in and make an immediate impact. I fully believe that's possible this year with our defense.

In the league, you mean? If we're talking nationally, anything in the top 25 would be a dramatic improvement and good enough to win us some hardware.

In the league, you mean? If we're talking nationally, anything in the top 25 would be a dramatic improvement and good enough to win us some hardware.

Yes, definitely meant in the SEC.

My gosh. It's a great position to be in when just a somewhat above average defense can put you in a position to compete for championships.

Such is the magic of Gus Malzahn.

Now imagine getting back to a consistent, hard hitting defense ('80's style), to compliment our offense.

It's every Auburn fan's dream.

If our defense last year could have come up with two series stops in the games we lost, I believe our season would have been much different. I believe we will get some of those stops this year.

We didnt need a revolution on D last year. We just needed to take the skates off after the TAMU Game. We couldnt stop any team we played last year after TAMU.

Yes, definitely meant in the SEC.

:thumbsup: Would definitely be happy with that.

My gosh. It's a great position to be in when just a somewhat above average defense can put you in a position to compete for championships.

Such is the magic of Gus Malzahn.

Now imagine getting back to a consistent, hard hitting defense ('80's style), to compliment our offense.

It's every Auburn fan's dream.

most of this thread has been...yada,yada,yada except this^^^^^ post. 80's defense is fine so is any tuberville defense.

My expectation is for us to improve significantly from a statistical standpoint but our lack of depth at DT/Nose terrifies me. I'm not sure we have the depth there to truly make a championship run although we will greatly improve on D.

Archived