2016 4* WR Kyle Davis (AU commit 11/25/15)

RunInRed

My optimism on Smith is his ability to create space at all levels. He's one of the better route runners in the WR group already. Bottom line, he gets open. That's the start point for all good receivers, and he hasn't shown poor ball skills. He hasn't had opportunity, but we're losing 50+ receptions (and even more targeted passes) this year. There will be opportunity to any that has skill.

Exactly, with Duke having already left, and with Ricardo graduating, I think it is nothing but wide-open at Receiver next year. No one has a guaranteed starting spot in my opinion. Kyle could easily step in and become a starter from Day One.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not gonna go over to well, but we are now only recruiting duel threat QB's... We have a juco duel threat QB coming in January. Franklin averaged something like 75 yards passing a gamer his past season.

Why would any elite WR want to come play in this offense?

This is not gonna go over to well, but we are now only recruiting duel threat QB's... We have a juco duel threat QB coming in January. Franklin averaged something like 75 yards passing a gamer his past season.

He was splitting time at QB with someone else and had 700+ yards passing and almost 500 yards rushing. The avg per game isn't a good stat to go on.

Altima, I hope you know that Franklin was not the starter at QB this year at his Juco. Had he played more, he would have had more passing yards. Secondly, this was his 1st year learning the offense. It takes a little while.

He is coming to AU in December and will be able to go through Spring football. Additionally, we are recruiting Jake Bentley, who can run, but is considered a Pro style QB by most people. An elite WR may want to come to AU for many reasons, including coach Craig, who players like a lot. The same or worse could be said for Ga Tech, considering they don't through much and their QB's are not great passers, but in the last 10 or so years they have produced 2 of the best receivers in the NFL; Megatron and Thomas,

he is coming in as an athlete who may get a shot at qb

I watched Franklins film and he ran for the 1st 2 minutes. it will be difficult to continually bring in elite WR talent with mediocre passing stats. We won but Nick Marshall didn't scare many people with his arm. He reminds me of a faster version of Nick Marshall. Next years QB could be on Campus already unless this guy can distribute the ball. He may come in a package deal if he isn't a good passer. Unless we go back to running 50+ times per game with QB and RB combined which won't help bring in Elite WR's.

All these are great points, they really are...

But again, my question is, why would any "elite" wide reciever recruit want to come play in this 'run-happy' offense?

What's the selling point to a kid like Kyle Davis?

But again, my question is, why would any "elite" wide reciever recruit want to come play in this 'run-happy' offense?

I think a strong argument can be made with Sammie Coates and probably with Duke if he hadn't been the way he was. And we were definitely a running team for the last couple of years. The NFL is going to find you I believe. Calvin Johnson played for GA Tech. Yes, he had great measurable, but I don't think he set any kind of recv records.

I think the selling point is early playing time.

People keep asking this yet does anyone remember Julio going to Bama? Before he went there ALL the talk was why would he go there. All they do is run the ball. No elite WR would go there because they would not get the stats. Well that is history now. My point is that a WR or any other position will go where they feel comfortable and where they can be on a winning team. Good coaches are always trying to convince the skill position players that they will get their hands on the ball some way. If AU gets Stove &/or Davis then I am sure CGM will find ways to get them the ball as much as possible. These are elite guys and will make a dangerous duo.

I think a strong argument can be made with Sammie Coates and probably with Duke if he hadn't been the way he was. And we were definitely a running team for the last couple of years. The NFL is going to find you I believe. Calvin Johnson played for GA Tech. Yes, he had great measurable, but I don't think he set any kind of recv records.

Y'all remember Calvin Johnson didn't play in the Paul Johnsom triple option. When Megatron was at GT, they threw the ball around. If I remember correctly, Ball was his quarterback.

My point is, unfortunately, recruits are gonna look at Sammie for what he is... not an NFL receiver.

I watched Franklins film and he ran for the 1st 2 minutes. it will be difficult to continually bring in elite WR talent with mediocre passing stats. We won but Nick Marshall didn't scare many people with his arm. He reminds me of a faster version of Nick Marshall. Next years QB could be on Campus already unless this guy can distribute the ball. He may come in a package deal if he isn't a good passer. Unless we go back to running 50+ times per game with QB and RB combined which won't help bring in Elite WR's.

Wait.. you mean the section labeled "designed runs" featured the player running the ball???? Someone stop the presses!!

And Nick Marshall 'didn't scare many people with his arm'? So I guess

was a magic trick? And I'm sure that
. You can count
in that crowd as well. Saying that Nick didn't scare people with his arm could not be more wrong. Yes, he made plays with his feet, but the best damn thing about Nick wasn't his legs, it was the 6 inches between his ears. He made great decision after great decision, and I don't care if he made them with his arms or legs, he made plays.

People keep asking this yet does anyone remember Julio going to Bama? Before he went there ALL the talk was why would he go there. All they do is run the ball. No elite WR would go there because they would not get the stats. Well that is history now. My point is that a WR or any other position will go where they feel comfortable and where they can be on a winning team. Good coaches are always trying to convince the skill position players that they will get their hands on the ball some way. If AU gets Stove &/or Davis then I am sure CGM will find ways to get them the ball as much as possible. These are elite guys and will make a dangerous duo.

That's my point, no wide receiver is gonna be happy playing in a offense that's runs the ball 75% of the time... and with all these duel treat quarterbacks we're recruiting, that's exactly what we're gonna get.

Gus has had as many pass-happy offenses as he has run-happy ones. He tried to throw the ball more with both Cam and Nick until he realized that running the ball more out of the inverted veer and read option, respectively, was going to be more successful with the personnel he had on hand. He wanted to throw the ball more this season, but he can't protect a RS FR with one good leg and the other guy bumped his head coming out of the tunnel at the Georgia Dome (hey, it makes as much sense as any other theory).

Seriously. Pay attention to what is going on on the football field. It will answer almost all your questions.

Not to mention- and you might want to be sitting down, because this might blow some of your minds- but these players are human beings with lives beyond football. Some of them want their school of choice to be strong in a particular curriculum. Some of them want to be in a particular geographic area. Some of them want to follow their girlfriend or their cousin to school. Some of them want to play in a town that they enjoy being in. Some of them even want to- gasp- enjoy being around their teammates and coaches.

Why would a receiver want to come to Auburn? Because it's Auburn, maybe?

Gus has had as many pass-happy offenses as he has run-happy ones. He tried to throw the ball more with both Cam and Nick until he realized that running the ball more out of the inverted veer and read option, respectively, was going to be more successful with the personnel he had on hand. He wanted to throw the ball more this season, but he can't protect a RS FR with one good leg and the other guy bumped his head coming out of the tunnel at the Georgia Dome (hey, it makes as much sense as any other theory).

Seriously. Pay attention to what is going on on the football field. It will answer almost all your questions.

Not to mention- and you might want to be sitting down, because this might blow some of your minds- but these players are human beings with lives beyond football. Some of them want their school of choice to be strong in a particular curriculum. Some of them want to be in a particular geographic area. Some of them want to follow their girlfriend or their cousin to school. Some of them want to play in a town that they enjoy being in. Some of them even want to- gasp- enjoy being around their teammates and coaches.

2970172.jpg

And Nick Marshall 'didn't scare many people with his arm'?

So I guess

was a magic trick?
it was a pass to a wide open receiver who could easily adjust to the ball to make the catch

And I'm sure that

You'd be hard pressed to find a QB who couldn't make that pass.

You can count

in that crowd as well.
That could have, and probably should have been an INT. We got VERY lucky on that play.

Saying that Nick didn't scare people with his arm could not be more wrong. Yes, he made plays with his feet, but the best damn thing about Nick wasn't his legs, it was the 6 inches between his ears. He made great decision after great decision, and I don't care if he made them with his arms or legs, he made plays.

If you have access to the 2014 season, go back and look at how many passes that a solid passing QB would make that Nick drastically over or under threw.

The best thing about Nick was, when the play broke down, he was athletic enough to make something happen.

Y'all remember Calvin Johnson didn't play in the Paul Johnsom triple option. When Megatron was at GT, they threw the ball around. If I remember correctly, Ball was his quarterback.

My point is, unfortunately, recruits are gonna look at Sammie for what he is... not an NFL receiver.

You are correct on Johnson. Hold every Tech record. Bad example on my part..

While Sammie has only 1 catch, way to early to saying he is not an NFL' r

No... They want to go some place that will get them to the NFL! That's why bammer has done so well in recruiting...

Do you think those players give a damn about tuscaloosa?!?!? Hell no! They sell them on getting them to the NFL. They want to go some place, that in 3 years, will get them paid!

No... They want to go some place that will get them to the NFL! That's why bammer has done so well in recruiting...

Do you think those players give a damn about tuscaloosa?!?!? Hell no! They sell them on getting them to the NFL. They want to go some place, that in 3 years, will get them paid!

Which is why Auburn needs to be shooting it from the rooftops that we have the largest active rookie class in the NFL.

You can actually look at bammer, but Johnson had two high picks come from his offense. If you come from a pass happy offense people look at you as a product of the system. It's not like we only throw the ball 6 times a game

And also this isn't a freaking video game, just because you're a dual threat qb doesn't mean you can't pass the damn ball

And also this isn't a freaking video game, just because you're a dual threat qb doesn't mean you can't pass the damn ball

Indeed. That would be a single threat.

Hah. Okay. I don't suppose I'll be changing your mind about anything, so cheers, WDE, etc...

Indeed. That would be a single threat.

Nailed it.

Archived