2016 4* WR Kyle Davis (AU commit 11/25/15)

RunInRed

Unless I'm mistaken, Pharoh Cooper played QB in high school. I'm pretty sure he was a do-everything-jack-of-all-trades guy in HS. If so, he'd fit on your Quan Bray/Ricardo Louis "do not recruit" list.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless I'm mistaken, Pharoh Cooper played QB in high school. I'm pretty sure he was a do-everything-jack-of-all-trades guy in HS. If so, he'd fit on your Quan Bray/Ricardo Louis "do not recruit" list.

Guess I'm in the school of let's don't recruit a half dozen HS QBs athletes and then try to turn them into WRs after we find they can't play QB or somewhere else. P. Cooper was a do everything player (as a junior, rushed for 300 yards and caught 65 passes for 1,285 yards and 14 scores.) but not a QB...but about everything else it seems. Louis was primarily a WR in HS ....a solid 4* and one of two WRs we got that year...the other has never played. The next year we got Tony Stevens and 2 others who have not played WR. Seems that maybe the plan is to recruit one WR and hope the "athletes" can be converted to WRs....which IMO is not working out to well for us.

Look at the guys that TAMU has.....three authentic WRs who will burn anyone who gives them the slightest opening. Just wishing we could get someone who was an proven WR when he arrives at AU. We have some good prospects being recruited now...got the size and speed to play the game it seems...now we just have to convince them that Gus's offense will give them a chance to do more than block on speed sweeps.

Oh, we definitely want a Cooper or a Treadwell or a Kirk (or a Davis). Try like hell to get them every season.

I was just arguing against the notion that we have some long list of failed QBs-turned-WRs.

And Jason Smith absolutely gives our offense a "quick strike" threat.

Also, Julian Edelman was a college QB. Same for Antwan Randle-El. Just because it hasn't worked doesn't mean it's the wrong move.

Sometimes high school coaches just put their best athlete at QB. I should know. I went to high school with Freddie Milons. Never played anything other than QB. Went to Bama and was an all-conference WR then played for the Eagles. The idea that you recruit athletes and teach them a position is neither new nor unique to Auburn. Everyone wants Laquon Treadwell. The problem is there is about one per year. Everyone else misses out.

Oh, we definitely want a Cooper or a Treadwell or a Kirk (or a Davis). Try like hell to get them every season.

I was just arguing against the notion that we have some long list of failed QBs-turned-WRs.

And Jason Smith absolutely gives our offense a "quick strike" threat.

I understand....and they are the best we have for the most part....but I was just noting that they have kind of journeyman stats over their careers and it's been a while since we had a good WR with more than one year of good stats. And if we look at season stats there is nobody on that list in the past 7 or 8 years.

Sure we recruit these guys....but we need to make it clear that our offense will reward their talent which apparently we have not been able to do....so instead we end throwing 6 yard outs, a few quick slants and an occasional deep pass against one of our WRs in a footrace with the defenders. Just hoping we give SW some better targets for the next few years....or else we might as well go back to the D-T approach and settle for the short passes that depend on the receivers to rack up YAC.

Meanwhile..find a few exceptions that did well....proves nothing 'cause AU has had enough converted to WR who catch maybe a dozen or so passes a year.

Jason Smith is doing quite well. He's a legit deep threat, best one on the team. Can handle the ball out of the backfield, too.

Kodi Burns was very much a contributor at WR. Gave us incredible, selfless perimeter blocking that was critical to our success in the run game, threw a beautiful touchdown pass to Cam against Ole Miss and scored a touchdown in the national championship game. Regardless, he was a stud QB in high school, was recruited to be one at Auburn, didn't work out, and instead of just letting him rot on the vine they found a way for him to contribute.

Ditto for Jonathan Wallace. He isn't an NFL athlete, but he's a leader and he's contributing at the best place he can. Like Kodi, he's a team guy and I guarantee you his blocking gives us a better chance of a successful jet sweep or jailbreak screen to his side than Duke's ever did.

Stanton Truitt is a freshman "ATH" and is just starting to contribute like everybody else on the offense not named Peyton Barber. CJ Uzomah wasn't a superstar but he was very much a contributor who made some huge plays in key spots.

Who am I missing? Who are all these other failures? Honest question, I didn't spend too much time thinking about it.

We have recently had a few others we can add to this list of QB turned receiver. Quan Bray. He had a nice career at AU and R Lewis right now, who may be our best receiver this year.

Thanks. I believe you just made my point stronger. As I recall it took Bray at least two years before he made any kind of impact as a receiver. It takes a while to convert for most guys. Also someone with the determination and work ethic of Bray.

Former 4* high school receiver, junior Tony Stevens hasn't exactly been lighting it up. For just one example of a true WR recruit.

Ricardo Louis played QB his senior year. He was recruited to play WR but as is often the case, his HS coach put the best athlete at QB.

Former 4* high school receiver, junior Tony Stevens hasn't exactly been lighting it up. For just one example of a true WR recruit.

Ricardo Louis played QB his senior year. He was recruited to play WR but as is often the case, his HS coach put the best athlete at QB.

Yep, The QB is very often the team best athlete.

As was the case with Truitt. He played QB in high school but nobody ever mistakened him for a QB on the college level.

As was the case with Truitt. He played QB in high school but nobody ever mistakened him for a QB on the college level.

He played QB only because the starter was knocked out for the season in game 2. He was never expected to play QB his Senior year. He was never recruited as a QB by any school.

He played QB only because the starter was knocked out for the season in game 2. He was never expected to play QB his Senior year. He was never recruited as a QB by any school.

I swear it seems like you're always trying to undercut my points.

Read this article http://m.auburntigers.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031814aaa.html

And you will see that we live in a world where your argument and my argument can be valid at the same time.

Or this one that says he didnt play WR from his freshman year on.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/stanton_truitt_brings_speed_le.html

Read this article http://m.auburntigers.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031814aaa.html

And you will see that we live in a world where your argument and my argument can be valid at the same time.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/stanton_truitt_brings_speed_le.html

No it's not just you LOL

Read this article http://m.auburntiger.../031814aaa.html

http://www.al.com/sp...s_speed_le.html

Guess the accepted premise is that any very good athlete can be taught to be an SEC caliber receiver ....no (or very little) previous experience required.....except as a HS QB perhaps. Despite the occasional positive examples being provided, I'm still not sure that our "experiment" is working out that well. Or perhaps it is that the guys we recruit are not being developed properly as to route running, learning how to subtly push the defender away at a critical moment to make a catch, how to catch the ball with his hands and not his chest, moves to "shake and bake" on the hitch and go plays....the kind of stuff that guys like Treadwell and Cooper and dozens of others have used to abuse our defensive backs for the past half dozen + years.

But none the less.....guess I will accept all the above arguments .....basically that what AU is doing to recruit and develop WR talent is correct and that we can't do any better in developing the "athletes" we get .....and that I should quit griping about dropped balls, guys running routes 2 yards short of the first down marker or letting some 5'-9 DB out-wrestle them for passes down the seam. So guess it's back to musing about whether we should indeed use D-T QBs and not get to amped up about the possibilities of a good passing game.

64, our passing game is not good enough. Nobody is arguing that. But there's no evidence that our problems have anything to do with the fact that some of our WRs played other positions in high school.

64, our passing game is not good enough. Nobody is arguing that. But there's no evidence that our problems have anything to do with the fact that some of our WRs played other positions in high school.

So what if there is no evidence? If there is no evidence that God doesn't exist, does that mean he does?

Evaluate better or develop better. I see so many 1st year NFL Players from Auburn this year who were good enough to make a pro team but didn't exactly light it up at Auburn so I think development has as much to do with it as evaluation.

Evaluate better or develop better. I see so many 1st year NFL Players from Auburn this year who were good enough to make a pro team but didn't exactly light it up at Auburn so I think development has as much to do with it as evaluation.

Yep.

without a doubt our coaches have to do a better job developing kids, the lack of production out of some of our players is terribly disappointing.

Maybe...maybe not....just look at the number of WRs we recruited the past few years....maybe as noted, we are not doing a good job of projecting which non-WRs can become WRs once they get here.

My concern is that we can't have an effective passing game without a pretty good WR corp. And lately, our WRs are not doing much to help the Auburn QBs....Having only one serious pass catching threat in the offense at any given time is not good.... We either need better recruiting...or better development once they are here. Just sayin' that we really need this guy....

I noticed that too. Especially with Gabe and Angelo. And therizie as well. Good enough to be drafted reasonably high and produce in the NFL the first year??? Seems like they would've been slightly better college players

Archived