2016 4* WR Kyle Davis (AU commit 11/25/15)

RunInRed

Sammie's been havin trouble catchin the ball...

Because you saw a drop? What the Steelers said was just the opposite. I used to see Julio drop the ball alot while he was at bammer....But either way prospects now aren't saying Sammie really isn't a NFL wr though....

Just because he played at Auburn, doesn't mean we have to sugar-coat everything. The only thing kept Sammie from being an 'elite' receiver were his hands. He dropped just as many passes as he caught while at AU. He dropped balls at the combine, he dropped passes at individual work-outs, and now he's dropping passes with the Steelers. That's why his stock plummeted before the draft. That's why he's a 3rd round pick fighting for a roster spot every week. That's why he's been targeted only twice in 10 games.

I'm not being a hater, but as far as a recruiting tool, if all we have to hang our hats on is Sammie Coats...?!?!?

So... a 2* guy who couldn't catch and played in an offense that doesn't throw the ball... went in the 3rd round... but this offense can't put anybody in the league.

Welp.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because you saw a drop? What the Steelers said was just the opposite. I used to see Julio drop the ball alot while he was at bammer....But either way prospects now aren't saying Sammie really isn't a NFL wr though....

Just because he played at Auburn, doesn't mean we have to sugar-coat everything. The only thing kept Sammie from being an 'elite' receiver were his hands. He dropped just as many passes as he caught while at AU. He dropped balls at the combine, he dropped passes at individual work-outs, and now he's dropping passes with the Steelers. That's why his stock plummeted before the draft. That's why he's a 3rd round pick fighting for a roster spot every week. That's why he's been targeted only twice in 10 games.

I'm not being a hater, but as far as a recruiting tool, if all we have to hang our hats on is Sammie Coats...?!?!?

So... a 2* guy who couldn't catch and played in an offense that doesn't throw the ball... went in the 3rd round... but this offense can't put anybody in the league.

Welp.

Name the receivers that Gus has put in the league. Clearly, Sammie was in on measurable alone. It wasn't from route running or hands.

It isn't just "a" drop. His stock went way down because of the perception that he did not have good hands. Early in the 2014 season, he was being touted as a 1st rounder. As the season went on, he went from 1st rounder to possible second day pick, which is what happened.

If you watched the preseason games, he dropped easy balls. Yes, he is playing behind great receivers, but, as it stands right now, he is more of a liability than an asset. Making comparisons to Julio Jones is ridiculous. Sammie did not and does not have the size or speed of Julio and Julio made the most of his situation lining up opposite of a great receiver in Roddy White.

If we're going to recruit Kyle Davis to be the next anything, it should be the next Darvin Adams or Emory Blake.

Welp.

Name the receivers that Gus has put in the league. Clearly, Sammie was in on measurable alone. It wasn't from route running or hands.

Exactly. Sammie is a freak of an athlete. In my opinion, they drafted him in hopes that they can teach him to catch the ball consistently, because he has the intangibles.

I do hope that Sammie can learn to catch, because he could be a highlight reel.

It isn't just "a" drop. His stock went way down because of the perception that he did not have good hands. Early in the 2014 season, he was being touted as a 1st rounder. As the season went on, he went from 1st rounder to possible second day pick, which is what happened.

If you watched the preseason games, he dropped easy balls. Yes, he is playing behind great receivers, but, as it stands right now, he is more of a liability than an asset. Making comparisons to Julio Jones is ridiculous. Sammie did not and does not have the size or speed of Julio and Julio made the most of his situation lining up opposite of a great receiver in Roddy White.

If we're going to recruit Kyle Davis to be the next anything, it should be the next Darvin Adams or Emory Blake.

That's what I'm talkin bout.

Darvin was a hell of a reciever! That kid didn't have the most ability, but he played bigger then he was and caught everything thrown in his direction!

Very under-appreciated... as far as the nfl.

I wouldn't think we'd be recruiting him to be the next anything. And nobody's using Sammie Coates as an example of what Davis should be. He's an example of this offense putting a receiver in the league. And maybe it was on the second day, but 3rd round is pretty good. 4 years, $3 million? Not too bad.

Emory Blake is still bouncing around the NFL, though. Duke Williams would've been a 2nd rounder at worst if he'd kept it together. Ricardo Louis and Melvin Ray have had plenty of chances to make themselves some money this season. It's certainly not "the offense"'s fault they're not catching the many balls thrown at them.

And, once again, anybody who doesn't understand that the lack of offensive balance this season isn't a function of the offense as it was intended to be run- because that was the initial assertion that I've been arguing against- has either not been watching the games or just not in any way processing what they've seen occur during them.

Ok... Let's put it this way...

DC and Malzahn are recruiting Kyle, hard!

Do y'all think they're selling the fact that Sean White will likely be the QB next year, or selling juco transfer John Franklin?

What offense do y'all think Kyle would rather play in?

A Sean White offense will throw the ball around.

John Franklin will lead a 70%-30% run-pass offense.

What say you guys?

I am a Steeler man, and followed them all my life. Sammie has a chance to make it, but for now, they have really good receivers in Bryant, AB, and Wheaton. He is not going to be consistent, when he only goes in 1-2 plays a game, if at all. Until some goes down with an Injury, or moves on, he will have to wait his chance.

But he has dropped a couple, but also caught some tough balls. His problem is he is still learning how to block and see the field on pass plays..

Do y'all think they're selling the fact that Sean White will likely be the QB next year, or selling juco transfer John Franklin?

That's a very good question. I'm guessing the former, but that's pure conjecture.

What say you guys?

All things being equal, I would have to assume that any WR would prefer whatever offense puts the ball in his hands the most.

Btw, for anybody who was curious, Blake Sims threw 4 1/2 more passes a game in 2014 than Nick Marshall did (unless one of them missed more time than Marshall's one half against Arkansas).

But see the thing about it is he didn't drop alot of balls his pro day and combine and in camp his position coach said there was nothing wrong with his hands so who should we believe???

How are you dropping alot of balls if you're only targeted twice? Fighting for a roster spot?? You literally made that up. Plummeted to the third round? What wr was he targeted ahead of that he dropped? He didn't run as fast as people thought he would and other guys like Conley put up out of this world numbers....like I said Julio dropped the ball all the time....I don't visit other teams boards but I've never seen people try to judge an entire career for guys off a few plays like on this board. One throw you all world one bad one you're not D 1. I remember after the Jax st game I'm going back and forth with people saying Davis sucked by the arky game same people saying he'll be better than Carlos Rogers....

What say you guys?

Actually depending on how well the run game is going depends on how many passes are attempted....And his final 3 was us, uga, and Tenn....do you really think he was looking at pass attempts as a final decision maker??

The fact you took the sentence Julio dropped balls and used that to say comparing the players is ridiculous is actually ridiculous. Then the fact you said their size and speed are the difference is even more funny if you actually look at their size and their 40 numbers....then you act as if going 3rd round is low.

Nobody was saying Sammie was going in the first round but draft guys and people on this board after he was going to run a 4.3....And had he ran that he still might have. He was never projected in front of cooper...as a matter of fact he wasn't even projected in front of that wr from Louisville

Sammie Coates had more flaws than just dropping passes.

Also, any comparison to Julio Jones is comical. Just a drastically different level of talent discrepancy overall.

But see the thing about it is he didn't drop alot of balls his pro day and combine and in camp his position coach said there was nothing wrong with his hands so who should we believe???

How are you dropping alot of balls if you're only targeted twice? Fighting for a roster spot?? You literally made that up. Plummeted to the third round? What wr was he targeted ahead of that he dropped? He didn't run as fast as people thought he would and other guys like Conley put up out of this world numbers....like I said Julio dropped the ball all the time....I don't visit other teams boards but I've never seen people try to judge an entire career for guys off a few plays like on this board. One throw you all world one bad one you're not D 1. I remember after the Jax st game I'm going back and forth with people saying Davis sucked by the arky game same people saying he'll be better than Carlos Rogers....

Are you a legit Sammie Coats fan, or are you just a counter point to everyone's point?

Sammie was a good athlete, but an average receiver. Was/is not near consistent enough to be labeled 'elite'... I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

I might be mistaken, but I don't even think Sammie participated in drills at AU's pro day? That's not what I said. It was reported though, on draft day, that Sammie had questionable workouts with the Colts and Titans (I think)... That's why he wasn't taken earlier. He was actually drafted by a team he never met with or worked out for individually. The Pitsburgh pick kinda came out of left field.

And no, I didn't make up Sammie fighting for a roster spot. He was mentioned in a whip-around segment on NFL Network. They mentioned several Steelers, but he was talked about needing to help out more on special teams to preserve his role on the Pitsburgh roster.

Oh you just want to say stuff but don't want anybody to say anything back? Ok my bad.

I didn't say he was elite the entire point of him being brought up is you wanted to say an elite wr with a dual threat qb wouldn't want to come play for this offense. Then you tried to use Georgia tech as an example which was bad because it strikes your original point. Then I guess you don't want Sammie to count for whatever reason which still hurts your point because like YOU said Sammie was highly regarded, as was duke so I guess you can do well at wr in this offense with a dual threat qb.

And yes he did drop balls or whatever but the main reason his stock slipped was his time. And when it's all said and done his coach for his NFL team said he had no issues with his hands. Also Steelers released another wr about a week or two ago I can't imagine they are going to release a third round pick with at least 700,000 guaranteed. If they were to do anything it would be move him to the practice squad which they didn't do that either

Get back to discussing Kyle now. If you want to continue discussing Sammie take it to PM's.

If you post any more discussing Sammie they will be deleted from this thread.

Davis's high school team is ranked 3rd in the state in 6a ball in Ga. Archer HS. I noticed that AU signed a softball player from Archer just this week. Hopefully she is gret friends with Davis.

The point is that we need to sign some excellent WRs. We need WRs that are tall (over 6 feet) and fast (nothing less than 4.55 forty speed and can catch anything within 6 feet of them. We need to sign 3-4 I would guess.

The point is that we need to sign some excellent WRs. We need WRs that are tall (over 6 feet) and fast (nothing less than 4.55 forty speed and can catch anything within 6 feet of them. We need to sign 3-4 I would guess.

Doc, I would say at least 6'2".

Our man Davis played against UGA DT commit Rochester's team last night and won a difficult game 24-21. They are in the State Quarters now.

Davis's high school team is ranked 3rd in the state in 6a ball in Ga. Archer HS. I noticed that AU signed a softball player from Archer just this week. Hopefully she is gret friends with Davis.

Hopefully she is his Girlfriend!

I read a few pages back that if Gus & DCraig both are at AU next year we are ok with Kyle. If Jimbo Fisher gets the LSU job & Craig goes with him, what are our chances then?

I read a few pages back that if Gus & DCraig both are at AU next year we are ok with Kyle. If Jimbo Fisher gets the LSU job & Craig goes with him, what are our chances then?

WHY would Craig go off with him when he left him two years ago to join Gus's staff at Auburn? Does this question have any factual basis to support it???

WHY would Craig go off with him when he left him two years ago to join Gus's staff at Auburn? Does this question have any factual basis to support it???

He left because it was AU. Wouldn't have left otherwise. Just unhappy with a lot of things on the offensive side of the ball. Loves AU, but is AU (under the current situation) good for his career?

Archived