The reasons why we win it all this year

gr82b4au

Everybody is saying that JJ will be a fantastic QB. But he remains unproven, just as does our 2nd string D, and many other positions. I know JJ has the athletic ability and the potential to be very good, but we really do not know how well he will respond mentally. Neither do we know anything about his leadership qualities, and that will be critical at times.

When Auburn is down ay 4, with 1:30 left on the clock, and 80 yards between us and a TD...how will he respond? We just don't know yet.

I remain cautiously optimistic and, as always, am hoping for the best. But when everyone is expecting Auburn to have a very good year...I've learned to be very cautious.

Seemed to do just fine last season in his first SEC start against Arkansas.

Plus, when will we be down by 4 with 1:30 left on the clock? By that time, I expect us to be up by 21, with White getting some playing time.

:wareagle:/>

And it was the first game of the season. I think he'll do great.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody is saying that JJ will be a fantastic QB. But he remains unproven, just as does our 2nd string D, and many other positions. I know JJ has the athletic ability and the potential to be very good, but we really do not know how well he will respond mentally. Neither do we know anything about his leadership qualities, and that will be critical at times.

When Auburn is down ay 4, with 1:30 left on the clock, and 80 yards between us and a TD...how will he respond? We just don't know yet.

I remain cautiously optimistic and, as always, am hoping for the best. But when everyone is expecting Auburn to have a very good year...I've learned to be very cautious.

I think the point is he's never faced any real adversity on the field at this stage yet. I'm not worried about it, though. He seems to carry a great confidence and poise.

Plus, when will we be down by 4 with 1:30 left on the clock? By that time, I expect us to be up by 21, with White getting some playing time.

Exactly. People need to be more realistic with their expectations like me and you.

Exactly. People need to be more realistic with their expectations like me and you.

:cheers:

Agree with everything the OP said.

But while I know where he's coming from on the "favorable schedule" part, it's hard for me to think of it that way what with opening with Louisville and playing in the SEC West.

We certainly have the chance to prove we are the best in the country!

This is a very realistic way of looking at things (although questioning how good the backups on defense will be seems a bit much).

Guys, seriously, I believe in this team, and I ABSOLUTELY believe that we have every ingredient necessary to run the table. I ABSOLUTELY believe there is no team in the country with a better chance to win it all, when considering all the variables (except maybe Ohio State, but that's only because the rest of the Big 10+2 haven't figured out they need to hire coaches with SEC experience yet). I like every part of the team that I can see, and I think AU is going to be a monumental force this season.

But all of us wear orange and blue tinted glasses, so it's rather difficult to analyze everything consistently. Everyone has their expectations, good and bad, but I believe the best idea is to temper BOTH ends of that scale as much as possible leading up to the season.

Hopefully, by putting in motion the play Gus/Rhett dials up; instead of the one he deems appropriate. But as you said.... what will he do ?

I truly believe this team has the potential to compete for the National Championship this year. But until they actually do it, all they have is potential. Here are a few reasons why we may not live up to potential this year:

• JJ's consistency is unproven. He has all the athletic ability anyone could want, and has performed great when he had the opportunity. But we haven't seen him do it week in and week out. How will he respond when he throws a bad pass, or has a bad half or a bad game? I have no reason to doubt him, other than the fact that there have been innumerable gifted athletes who showed flashes of brilliance but couldn't perform consistently. (This is actually among the least of my concerns, but it is worth mentioning.)
  • Carl Lawson is coming back from a torn ACL, and not every gifted athlete returns to their prior performance level following that surgery. I don't expect a huge letdown, but I'm not expecting him to put up Clowney numbers either.
  • Byron Cowart should be a major factor as a true freshman (and we need him to be), but he is a true freshman. More freshmen fail to live up to hype than those who are everything they were hyped to be.
  • We lost about half of our depth in the D-line rotation. We have recruited well, but we will be relying on inexperienced youth... talented, but inexperienced. Mistakes will be made.
  • Depth in the secondary is a major concern. Our starting rotation should be solid, but we will likely be counting on a true freshman (Irvin) and there are a lot of question marks behind the starters. We lost 4 or 5 DBs to attrition this offseason. If more than one or two injuries hit the secondary, we could have problems.
  • I will probably get grief over this, but I'll include it anyway. Gus is unproven as a head coach. He's an offensive genius, I love him, I'm glad we have him, and I have every reason to believe he will be a long-term success. But he had phenomenal success walking into an almost perfect situation in his first year, then had a somewhat disappointing 2014. Will he be able to keep the team focused enough to make a championship run this year? We won't know for sure until he does it.

I'm not trying to douse anyone's sunshine pumping ... ok, well maybe I am ... but there are still some very valid questions about this team we won't know the answers to until September or October. I hope as much as anyone that we like the answers, but hope does not win championships.

I truly believe this team has the potential to compete for the National Championship this year. But until they actually do it, all they have is potential. Here are a few reasons why we may not live up to potential this year:

• JJ's consistency is unproven. He has all the athletic ability anyone could want, and has performed great when he had the opportunity. But we haven't seen him do it week in and week out. How will he respond when he throws a bad pass, or has a bad half or a bad game? I have no reason to doubt him, other than the fact that there have been innumerable gifted athletes who showed flashes of brilliance but couldn't perform consistently. (This is actually among the least of my concerns, but it is worth mentioning.)
  • Carl Lawson is coming back from a torn ACL, and not every gifted athlete returns to their prior performance level following that surgery. I don't expect a huge letdown, but I'm not expecting him to put up Clowney numbers either.
  • Byron Cowart should be a major factor as a true freshman (and we need him to be), but he is a true freshman. More freshmen fail to live up to hype than those who are everything they were hyped to be.
  • We lost about half of our depth in the D-line rotation. We have recruited well, but we will be relying on inexperienced youth... talented, but inexperienced. Mistakes will be made.
  • Depth in the secondary is a major concern. Our starting rotation should be solid, but we will likely be counting on a true freshman (Irvin) and there are a lot of question marks behind the starters. We lost 4 or 5 DBs to attrition this offseason. If more than one or two injuries hit the secondary, we could have problems.
  • I will probably get grief over this, but I'll include it anyway. Gus is unproven as a head coach. He's an offensive genius, I love him, I'm glad we have him, and I have every reason to believe he will be a long-term success. But he had phenomenal success walking into an almost perfect situation in his first year, then had a somewhat disappointing 2014. Will he be able to keep the team focused enough to make a championship run this year? We won't know for sure until he does it.

I'm not trying to douse anyone's sunshine pumping ... ok, well maybe I am ... but there are still some very valid questions about this team we won't know the answers to until September or October. I hope as much as anyone that we like the answers, but hope does not win championships.

Gus is proven. Everywhere he goes he wins. He walked into 2013 with a team who went 3-9. Far from a perfect situation if you ask me. Turned Tre into a Herman candidate and almost won a national championships in his first year with a DB.

Gus is proven. Everywhere he goes he wins. He walked into 2013 with a team who went 3-9. Far from a perfect situation if you ask me. Turned Tre into a Herman candidate and almost won a national championships in his first year with a DB.

Uh oh -- the JJ for Herman campaign has begun.

Stop with the high expectations, people!

:big:

Uh oh -- the JJ for Herman campaign has begun.

Stop with the high expectations, people!

:big:/>

I meant HEISMAN... And I was referring to Tre Mason. Lol!

Like I said, who in the SEC west doesn't have questions? Alabama loses its entire offense (sans two o-linemen) and has its toughest schedule in the Saban era, Arky loses its D-coordinator and several of its defensive stars, LSU has arguably a major downgrade at DC and has a QB situation in complete limbo, Ole Miss also has a bad QB situation, MSU lost pretty much Dak's entire supporting cast, and TAMU is virtually in our boat. Right now, I'm projecting a six-way 9-3 tie in the west and 6-6 from MSU.

Like I said, who in the SEC west doesn't have questions? Alabama loses its entire offense (sans two o-linemen) and has its toughest schedule in the Saban era, Arky loses its D-coordinator and several of its defensive stars, LSU has arguably a major downgrade at DC and has a QB situation in complete limbo, Ole Miss also has a bad QB situation, MSU lost pretty much Dak's entire supporting cast, and TAMU is virtually in our boat. Right now, I'm projecting a six-way 9-3 tie in the west and 6-6 from MSU.

Won't happen, we are better than 9-3

I think this year will be one of the most if not the most balanced SEC West we've seen as I think every team in the SEC West, sans maybe Ole Miss, could be or could develop enough to win the West. I still think AU is the most likely to come out on top, but bama, LSU, MSU, Arky (if they get a better D), and TAMU (if they get a better D) will all have decent teams. I agree that AU should finish better than 9-3

I've long since given up trying to figure such things out. I'll be the first to say I don't have a clue.

we agree

I think this year will be one of the most if not the most balanced SEC West we've seen as I think every team in the SEC West, sans maybe Ole Miss, could be or could develop enough to win the West. I still think AU is the most likely to come out on top, but bama, LSU, MSU, Arky (if they get a better D), and TAMU (if they get a better D) will all have decent teams. I agree that AU should finish better than 9-3

Interesting. I'd have switched Ole Miss and Miss State. The former has a great first string D. The latter lost almost everyone except Dak.

We may have a shot if we can stay healthy on defense, especially in the secondary.

I see the west going like this:

Alabama

Auburn

Arkansas

Texas AM/LSU

Ole Miss

Miss St.

We may have a shot if we can stay healthy on defense, especially in the secondary.

Alabama

Auburn

Arkansas

Texas AM/LSU

Ole Miss

Miss St.

I don't care if bama had Tom Brady I would NEVER put bama ahead of us in predictions. They have no qb and waaaay too many holes to fill on offense and defense. Smh

Alabama

Auburn

Arkansas

Texas AM/LSU

Ole Miss

Miss St.

I don't care if bama had Tom Brady I would NEVER put bama ahead of us in predictions. They have no qb and waaaay too many holes to fill on offense and defense. Smh

That's an ironic way of putting it. ;D

I've long since given up trying to figure such things out. I'll be the first to say I don't have a clue.

we agree

Count me in...but I will still be @ JH screaming my head off!!!

IF the offense can whoop LSU like they did last year and the defense can shut down Miss. State, why not ? we will know early in the season, after the State game exactly what we can hope for.

Alabama

Auburn

Arkansas

Texas AM/LSU

Ole Miss

Miss St.

SMH

Archived