secondary questions

El Tiburon

Good evening everyone, I hope you all are doing well. I have been under a rock lately and have another question. What is your biggest concern with the secondary? Everyone says depth but do they mean at the corner, safety, or both positions? Also in terms of just the starters what's a stronger unit the safeties or corners? Thanks guys!

I think my biggest concern is just a mentality factor. For the past 6-7 years we were supposed to have a "much improved secondary" and that result hasn't played out well. I believe we'll be better under Muschamp and T-Rob but I'm just hoping we don't have another letdown. Ford and Matthews should be a formidable pair at the safety positions, Jones, Holsey, and incoming transfer Blake Countess will do well in one on one coverages, and I'd say we have good linebackers and ends to drop back and be able to take away some short slants and dump offs. We've got a load of hound talent at DB that may be able to step up as well. Just takes one to spark the others! We should be better, but that's a big should.

I know exactly what you mean. It seems like ever year we here the same thing about secondary concerns. I think Muschamp will right the ship though.

My biggest question this year with the DBs:

1. Will our CBs be able to play man coverage and hold their own? Muschamp likes to put his corners on an island, and our guys will have to be able to play 1-on-1 well, or else we're going to get burned.

2. How will Holsey adjust moving back to Corner/Nickel/Dime back? I think it's definitely the right move, but it's still an adjustment that he's going to have to make.

3. How is Trigga Tray in coverage? He is known to punish WRs coming over the middle, but how is he dropping back in a cover 2? Or even playing close to the line and taking the back in coverage?

4. How will our new guys adjust? I think we're counting on Countess providing some solid depth on the back end.

I think that Tray is the x-factor. If he becomes an enforcer and the corners know he has their back deep, the corners will be able to take small chances at times and will be able to play loose, not loose coverage, but play comfortably. I expect more interceptions this year if Tray plays well.

My biggest question in the secondary is whether our CBs will revert to not turning around to defend passes...

My biggest question in the secondary is whether our CBs will revert to not turning around to defend passes...

That is all but guaranteed imo

I know this topic is cb/s, but the play of our DL will greatly reflect in how well the cb/s look/play. Mediocre db's can look good if the DL is getting pressure on the QB.

On topic, I just want to cut down on the PI calls and turn to see the ball.

As others have also stated, I think our starters will be solid. The issue will be how the incoming freshmen develop because they are essentially our depth. Hopfully they are ready, willing, and able to contribute or it could get messy over the long season.

I know this topic is cb/s, but the play of our DL will greatly reflect in how well the cb/s look/play. Mediocre db's can look good if the DL is getting pressure on the QB.

Talking about our secondary this year is hard to do without comparing them to previous groups. And it's impossible to evaluate last year's group without factoring in how long they were forced to cover their receivers. Add in the fact that their coordinator had them single covering Amari Cooper in the Iron Bowl and... yeah. We definitely have a lot of work to do on technique, but... Muschamp. Lawson. Russell. Adams. Cowart. #firetrob. We'll get there.

This one knows what he is talking about. Excellent point.

Talking about our secondary this year is hard to do without comparing them to previous groups. And it's impossible to evaluate last year's group without factoring in how long they were forced to cover their receivers. Add in the fact that their coordinator had them single covering Amari Cooper in the Iron Bowl and... yeah. We definitely have a lot of work to do on technique, but... Muschamp. Lawson. Russell. Adams. Cowart. #firetrob. We'll get there.

#firetrob?

#firetrob?

Running gag, likely to meet its end as soon as foot meets leather.

#firetrob?

Ah ok, I'd hoped so. I gathered that as I saw it pop up on a few other threads. Thanks :)

#firetrob?

Ah ok, I'd hoped so. I gathered that as I saw it pop up on a few other threads. Thanks :)/>

Honestly, I've been waiting for someone to take issue with it. But I suppose it speaks well of the hire that the sarcasm translates :)

Our DB play will be much better than we have seen in many seasons. This will be one of the team's strength. It will be a fun season!

Love our starters. After them..it's a little scary so i'm hoping we stay healthy and the DL shows up so the secondary doesn't have to work so hard as in previous seasons. We've been asking them to do way too much. Of the freshman i can only see Irving and Dinson making some sort of significant impact. I do love the fact that Boom and T-Rob don't have any issue throwing true freshman out there.

There's gonna be a lot more solo coverage this year...not worried about that from johnathon jones...blake countess from the comments seems he can handle it, just don't know about the other cb's

Boom calls so many different coverages each kid will need to be very well prepared mentally. Some coverage schemes he implements are based on the pre-snap look. For instance there will be automatic checks into coverages like 3 Buzz Mable http://jameslightfootball.com/2015/06/10/dj-durkin-pattern-matching-scheme-3-buzz-mable/ with a trips look. It'll also depend on the quality of the personell. If he has a true lockdown corner on one side he can run split field coverages like 3 Buzz Mable, Blue Special, and Solo...allowing for some pretty cool blitz concepts and forcing the throw to the side of the field where he is pattern matching with either 3over2 or even 5over3 (# of defenders vs route runners). Pattern match (zone coverage untill pattern distribution, switching to man afterwards) is honestly a better design than standard zone IMO (even if it was co-developed by Belichik and Saban)

Some ppl mention dbs and looking back for the ball. There's a little more to the story. They are taught to look for the ball only when "in phase" with the wr, and to wait momentarily before ripping their arm between the WR's arms when they are "out of phase". Boom learned these concepts from Saban and still uses them http://smartfootball.com/defense/nick-saban-schools-you-on-how-to-play-pass-coverage#sthash.qoSMafYm.dpbs

Archived