Here's Why Auburn Will Run Over Louisville

thaitopher

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think the difference in the game (since both teams will experience week 1 growing pains) will be Malzahn's ability to use the many playmakers we have on offense, and I think that our defense is not a detriment to us as much as their offense is to them

I think that adjusted recruiting ranking supports this idea.

And yes, I did read to the very end of your statement.

Hah!

If Lawson comes even close to living up to his hype, he should do some serious damage to the standard Petrino pass heavy offense

Louisville 2014: 511 rushes / 428 passes

WKU 2013: 468 rushes / 407 passes

As for the D, unless Louisville's defensive line is much improved, our running back trio should be able to easily do as much damage as Georgia did to them in their bowl game

Louisville brings back 4 of their Front 7 + DE Devonte Fields, the 2012 Big 12 Defensive POTY from TCU / #3 JUCO player in 2014.

Funny how you love having all the stats for Louisville, and are not saying anything good about AU and we are the #6 team in the country preseason. With your low number of posts, I am wondering if you are a Louisville fan and just trolling or are you a big Negabarner.

If Lawson comes even close to living up to his hype, he should do some serious damage to the standard Petrino pass heavy offense

As for the D, unless Louisville's defensive line is much improved, our running back trio should be able to easily do as much damage as Georgia did to them in their bowl game

Louisville brings back 4 of their Front 7 + DE Devonte Fields, the 2012 Big 12 Defensive POTY from TCU / #3 JUCO player in 2014.

Funny how you love having all the stats for Louisville, and are not saying anything good about AU and we are the #6 team in the country preseason. With your low number of posts, I am wondering if you are a Louisville fan and just trolling or are you a big Negabarner.

Google is obviously my friend and a stranger to some.

Funny how so very few here give Petrino credit for past results with a losing hand and how quickly they forgot what he did to the #1 defense in the Nation in 2002 with a backfield that would be 3rd Stringers for Louisville and 5th Stringers at Auburn.

Oh but Petrino is really void of ANY talent this time around. And he's forgotten how to find and exploit a defense's weaknesses. Oh wait...he never knew how.

Pardon moi for not partaking in the cakewalk that is supposed to ensue in ATL.

As for my allegiance, first time I attended an Auburn game was 1983 with my father. Watched Bo and Lionel James truck down the sidelines with ease a couple of times that season. Last time was the 2013 SECCG with my son.

Yup, you guessed it, all as a Cards fan in disguise. Russian spies have zilch on me. 30 years attending and *fist beats chest* still holding true to Cards Nation.

I give you 2 of my last 5 "low number of posts"......

I've got over 8000 posts on another AU forum. I'll try, just for you, to boost my post count here. Perhaps eventually, I too, can become a biased sunshine pumper.

Damn, VipersStrike really HAS been playing the "long game." He started infiltrating before he even knew Auburn was going to play Louisville in 2015!

I'm 90% sure this is going to be a 2010 Auburn vs. Arkansas type game, though I doubt it'll be nearly as high scoring. A better example might be Auburn vs. Clemson in 2012 as far as a back and forth rumble. UL's D is good and they'll be solid, especially against our offense that usually does start off a bit sluggish. Petrino's offense may be more limited than he's had in the past, but he'll get his points against what may be a talented and fast D, but still one trying to rediscover what it means to play defense in the SEC. I think the intangibles favor Auburn as well as the overall talent and probably the depth as well, but it'll be a tough game for at least 3 quarters, no doubt in my mind. Great barometer for certain positions for the rest of the season too.

Funny how so very few here give Petrino credit for past results with a losing hand and how quickly they forgot what he did to the #1 defense in the Nation in 2002 with a backfield that would be 3rd Stringers for Louisville and 5th Stringers at Auburn.

Oh but Petrino is really void of ANY talent this time around. And he's forgotten how to find and exploit a defense's weaknesses. Oh wait...he never knew how.

As for my allegiance, first time I attended an Auburn game was 1983 with my father. Watched Bo and Lionel James truck down the sidelines with ease a couple of times that season. Last time was the 2013 SECCG with my son.

Yup, you guessed it, all as a Cards fan in disguise. Russian spies have zilch on me. 30 years attending and *fist beats chest* still holding true to Cards Nation.

I've got over 8000 posts on another AU forum. I'll try, just for you, to boost my post count here. Perhaps eventually, I too, can become a biased sunshine pumper.

So....negabarner?? Or just anti-sunshine pumping??

Wow, this thread went downhill quickly. ( cue trainwreck sound)

As I mentioned on the other Louisville thread, Louisville also introduces 5 WRs in their game against us, a 6'4" 225 transfer from Texas A&M with SEC game experience, a transfer from UAB, and 3 touted freshmen (6'6", 6'4" and 6'3"). A test for our secondary.

We win 34 - 14.

Realist

I see us struggling with the run game in all honesty. They will sell out on stopping the running backs and not worry about Johnson running the ball. I believe we will pass the ball well. This will look like the first half of last years Arky game. As stated this game (season) comes down to the defense being able to get a couple of stops each half. If that can happen then we will by 14 to 21.

I've been saying all along that this could be a real challenge for Auburn. Unlike a lot of fans who think this is going to be a gimmee for Auburn, I'm glad CGM and CWM are taking Louisville a lot more seriously and already preparing for Louisville 2 weeks out. Auburn *may* win by a comfortable margin, but if so, it's because the coaches and the team are really giving Louisville respect.

Cards DC Grantham is used to SEC play and his D will be even better this year with the transfer of 3 players with plenty of gameday experience. Yep, UGA beat Louisville 37-14 in their bowl game. But lets not forget that UGA beat Auburn even worse, 34-7.

This *could* be a sloppy looking game as Auburn's brand new offense suffers execution errors and mistakes. But Champ's defense stalls the Cards enough to keep it close while the offense gets settled down.

Auburn has a lot more talent and depth than Louisville, and I think that will be the difference. I really would love to see Auburn run up a huge score on that slimy Petrino. But it could be a close one. Even a 1 point win is a win.

http://www.aufamily....ost__p__2302263

http://www.aufamily....ost__p__2301839

Realist

I gotcha, just seems like you swung to the complete opposite of sunshine pumping, instead of realist, which is more in the middle. While I think AU will win, I don't think most are expecting an AU blow out. I could see AU winning by 10-14 with late TD to ice it, but I know L'ville will be a good team, although they did get stomped by UGA in a bowl 37-14 last season. Likely, AU will win by 3-10, I hope more, but until the D shows what they can do, we'll see. IF the D is as improved as we hope, I could see a result much like the whopping UGA put on them, but L'ville will likely be a little bit better.

Not sure what's so wrong about having an honest discussion about Auburn football. :dunno: If somebody started a thread claiming that we'll all get our own unicorn that we'll then ride across a rainbow to a giant pot of gold, I think some of y'all would get your britches twisted when somebody else pointed out that unicorns' hooves tend to slip on rainbows. "You a unicorn hater or a poverty lover?!?!?!"

VipersStrike1, I always appreciate the introduction of facts into these types of conversations, even if they don't portend a future where Auburn hangs 60 on every team we play.

I gotcha, just seems like you swung to the complete opposite of sunshine pumping, instead of realist, which is more in the middle. While I think AU will win, I don't think most are expecting an AU blow out. I could see AU winning by 10-14 with late TD to ice it, but I know L'ville will be a good team, although they did get stomped by UGA in a bowl 37-14 last season. Likely, AU will win by 3-10, I hope more, but until the D shows what they can do, we'll see. IF the D is as improved as we hope, I could see a result much like the whopping UGA put on them, but L'ville will likely be a little bit better.

Yup, admitted anti-sunshine pumper, but def realist.

From the score prediction thread and this thread, looks like most are predicting a blowout.

We've got a lot of offensive talent, but it's unproven. And the first game is always difficult finding their stride.

My intention was to inform them that Louisville indeed brings back a stout defense + 3 proven blue-chip transfers. And give examples of Petrino doing extraordinary work with very limited talent.

Many want to hang their hat on just the Georgia game last season, omitting the remainder of 2014 where again with limited offensive talent and an endless rotating backfield, they played everyone else very close to the end, including FSU.

I think AU wins a very tough 30-20 game.

FWIW - I have predicted AU to win the SEC because I believe the offense will gel nicely over time and the schedule is as favorable as it gets, esp catching LSU on the road early before Harris finds his stride.

I think it's more likely that Auburn will blow Louisville out than the other way around, but I don't think it's likely either way. The more likely positive scenario for us is that Auburn controls the game from start to finish, maintaining a touchdown or more lead most of the way...but the mere fact that Louisville is the underdog gives them a strong point in their favor (playing with a chip on their shoulder).

Auburn SHOULD win this game, but there are far too many ways the ball could bounce to make it anything of a done deal.

I think one of three things will happen: the first I've already mentioned, with Auburn controlling throughout. The second is a hard fought contest where Louisville scores in the last 5-6 minutes to either tie or take the lead, giving Johnson the chance to take the reins and solidify himself as the leader ready to take the team to the next level (which could go either way, but I'd put money on CGM and JJ in that situation). The negative situation would be similar to the second, only UL scores to take a 2-3 point lead with about that amount of time left, then something catastrophic (for us) happens, such as a pick 6 or a turnover deep in our own territory, and they deliver a crushing blow by taking a lead of more than a touchdown.

Of those three, I really would prefer the second. Letting the boys figure out what they're made of on a bigger stage (away from home even) before travelling to Baton Rouge could be a difference maker against the Bayou Bengals.

You're an idiot if you think we blow them out. This will be a good game.

There is nothing like being called an idiot by a guy whose profile pic looks like he had a tough time getting his GED. :/

Not sure what's so wrong about having an honest discussion about Auburn football. :dunno:/> If somebody started a thread claiming that we'll all get our own unicorn that we'll then ride across a rainbow to a giant pot of gold, I think some of y'all would get your britches twisted when somebody else pointed out that unicorns' hooves tend to slip on rainbows. "You a unicorn hater or a poverty lover?!?!?!"

VipersStrike1, I always appreciate the introduction of facts into these types of conversations, even if they don't portend a future where Auburn hangs 60 on every team we play.

Muchas gracias.

I love optimism, and even reasons why we'll blow someone out, but not without some research to back it up.

Louisville's D will be just as stout as our's, if not better. All it takes is some quick research to see who they lost and who's their replacements.

To say because Chubb ran wild on them and they lost too many defensive starters and that's why we'll smoke them is asinine.

We don't have a Chubb. And Louisville's defensive replacements, minus Safety Gerod Holliman, are better than the starters lost. And even he wasn't a good tackler. Harvey-Clemons is a better tackler.

So if the defenses are nearly a wash (and Special Teams are too), it comes down to the offenses.

Of course we have more talent. It's not even close, but it's unproven talent and then there's the wizardry of Petrino to exploit a defense's weaknesses with mediocre talent primarily running a basic under-center, one or two-TE set.

And he's had MONTHS, not a week, to scheme. Somewhere I read he's 10-0 in openers. Color me shocked.

Bottom line, like many games, it's just the odds of the weird or unexpected happening. Especially this early in the season. Net, net I believe if we played them 10 times, loisville would probably only win 1. What's nerve wracking is worrying about the 1.

There is nothing like being called an idiot by a guy whose profile pic looks like he had a tough time getting his GED. :/

Ouch.

Ouch.

Ooooh...

Yup, admitted anti-sunshine pumper, but def realist.

From the score prediction thread and this thread, looks like most are predicting a blowout.

We've got a lot of offensive talent, but it's unproven. And the first game is always difficult finding their stride.

My intention was to inform them that Louisville indeed brings back a stout defense + 3 proven blue-chip transfers. And give examples of Petrino doing extraordinary work with very limited talent.

Many want to hang their hat on just the Georgia game last season, omitting the remainder of 2014 where again with limited offensive talent and an endless rotating backfield, they played everyone else very close to the end, including FSU.

I think AU wins a very tough 30-20 game.

FWIW - I have predicted AU to win the SEC because I believe the offense will gel nicely over time and the schedule is as favorable as it gets, esp catching LSU on the road early before Harris finds his stride.

Oh, I know what you were doing...with the "realist" stance. I think there are a lot more knowns on offense than many want to give credit. We've got 6-7 OL that have playing experience, granted they haven't played necessarily in the possessions with each other like they will come game day,but most of these guys have experience, Smith playing last year will help tremendously. The WR corp has as much depth as any, granted some haven't produced as much or broke out, but there are 3-4 that have game experience. RB is one spot with limited game experience. Roc and Barber got some in mop up duty last year and Robinson does but in JUCO ranks, so from experience standpoint, Roc really has the most b/c he played more last year. I think the 4 of them as a group are as talented a group as we've seen at AU in a long time, but it will be interesting to see how they perform, I think a lot of that will depend on how the OL comes out of the gate doing.

I agree about the outcome, maybe event the score, I could see it ending up along that 30-20 line or 37-20. I don't know that L'ville has the horses top to bottom of their defensive depth chart to keep up.

well, first, dial it back a bit on the name calling. 2nd, its called an opinion. If you aren't good with other opinions perhaps this board isn't for you.

Archived