INJURY updates...who is really in the "know"?

TigerfanKM

CL's best chance of being drafted in the first 3 rounds would be greatly enhanced if he comes back next year and has a solid year. His stock would really rise and maybe get him drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. All of us on this board wants nothing more than for Carl to have a chance for a solid career in the NFL. He deserves this opportunity. A solid healthy season for 2016 would be just what the doctor ordered.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be willing to bet a lot someone would take him. A seventh round pick isn't much of a risk for the possible reward Carl Lawson brings. That being said he will be back.

He would go in the 3rd round in a worst case scenario even if he doesn't play another snap. The talent pool is pretty drained by the 3rd round that there would be a team that would most definitely take a risk to pick him in the 3rd round, but if Lawson plays another year and is healthy he would likely go in the first round. The difference between first and third round is millions of dollars, so it would make financial sense for him to stay one more year.

I would guess right now 5th or so. One thing teams draft for in the third round is depth. Can't have depth if the player doesn't see the field. I'm not saying that would be an issue but that's how teams would see it.

I would be willing to bet a lot someone would take him. A seventh round pick isn't much of a risk for the possible reward Carl Lawson brings. That being said he will be back.

I wouldn't waste a draft pick, even a really late one on a guy that hasn't played a full season as a starter AND has injury issues too.

I certainly would. Look at the history of 7th round picks. Roughly 20% of 6th and 7th round picks will start for one season and 2% will make a pro bowl. I would certainly take my chances with Lawson and his potential over a 20% chance to have a one year starter and a 1/50 chance to land a high quality player.

Do the Lawson draft comments mean we can go ahead and add him to a fantasy league team? Early season talk was JJ was going to turn pro after this year as well.

Do the Lawson draft comments mean we can go ahead and add him to a fantasy league team? Early season talk was JJ was going to turn pro after this year as well.

Haha yup

I think every SEC coaching staff would likely handle injury situations pretty much the same as our coaches. The coaching staff has their reasons for handling this situation whether each of us likes it or not. Of course, I wish they would more transparent when it comes to injuries, especially when it involves talent such as what CL has.

I do not think they will be changing the way they handle injuries regardless of what any of us thinks.

Does anyone know the situation for Tre Matthews? I have not seen anything about him. He is a major player that we need back on the field if he is healthy enough. I love the way he plays the game, and he could be a solid 3rd or 4th round draft pick for 2017. If he has a solid 2016 season and stays healthy, he could be higher than a 3rd round pick.

I think every SEC coaching staff would likely handle injury situations pretty much the same as our coaches. The coaching staff has their reasons for handling this situation whether each of us likes it or not. Of course, I wish they would more transparent when it comes to injuries, especially when it involves talent such as what CL has.

I do not think they will be changing the way they handle injuries regardless of what any of us thinks.

Does anyone know the situation for Tre Matthews? I have not seen anything about him. He is a major player that we need back on the field if he is healthy enough. I love the way he plays the game, and he could be a solid 3rd or 4th round draft pick for 2017. If he has a solid 2016 season and stays healthy, he could be higher than a 3rd round pick.

Responded to this earlier and never saw an answer. Is he out? I wasn't aware. He played against LSU quite a bit (don't you remember his hurdle over Fournette?) Is he hurt again? I haven't heard anything which tells me he is likely good to go. May still have some shoulder soreness but can obviously play through it.

Responded to this earlier and never saw an answer. Is he out? I wasn't aware. He played against LSU quite a bit (don't you remember his hurdle over Fournette?) Is he hurt again? I haven't heard anything which tells me he is likely good to go. May still have some shoulder soreness but can obviously play through it.

He's going to play but it's going to limit how physical he can be on the field. Just like last week.

If a defensive lineman is injured but is still able to play, coaches will generally keep him on the field. However, if a DB is injured, I would be hesitant to play him in that he has to be able to consistently cover fast receivers and be able to run down RBs, as well as sack QBs. I am not sure what type of injuries that TM has. I would think though that he is still able to cover receivers and do a decent job in order to stay on the field.

Everybody (minus Lawson) looks a lot healthier this week . You will see a different defensive unit on the field this week.

Wde

Well that's encouraging. Thanks for the status report.

Is Jovon 's injury still lingering or is he just the odd man out now?

Archived