Cowarts playing time

aubfaninga

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garner has coached the defensive line which includes DTs and DEs. My guess is when Cowart gets experience he will get to play Buck but not yet. As of now he's trying to learn defensive end. So Garner would be his coach, along with Muschamp. Muschamp doesn't have one position designated to coach.

The Buck is more of a hybrid position something we would see if we ran the 3-4 but we aren't running that.

Garner has coached the defensive line which includes DTs and DEs. My guess is when Cowart gets experience he will get to play Buck but not yet. As of now he's trying to learn defensive end. So Garner would be his coach, along with Muschamp. Muschamp doesn't have one position designated to coach.

The Buck is more of a hybrid position something we would see if we ran the 3-4 but we aren't running that.

He specifically coaches DT.

The defense definitely improved Saturday, and I think Muschamp telling the upper level guys to warm the bench had everything to do with that. As they and the offense improves, a lot of this frustration will subside. Garner has been rough on him for sure, but he can't be this sensitive either

Lance is coaching outside linebackers which includes the Buck position and Sam linebacker and probably handles a little bit of the strong side end. Muschamp coaches inside linebackers as a position that he focuses on. Garner takes the DTs and strong side DE.

Lance is coaching outside linebackers which includes the Buck position and Sam linebacker and probably handles a little bit of the strong side end. Muschamp coaches inside linebackers as a position that he focuses on. Garner takes the DTs and strong side DE.

Sooooo...Muschamp coaches 1 on field position, Lance coaches 3, RG coaches 3 and TRob coaches 4. Of course they all work together, just an interesting note.

So Lance is coaching 2 defensive ends, 3 linebackers, and the " buck" position?

When did the change Garner from defensive line to only the interior defensive line?

When Lance got brought in. But two posts above mine explained it better than I.

Cowart will come into his own sooner than later. I fully expect that by the time we are into November, he will be playing at a much higher level than he is now. His upside is off of the charts in my opinion, and this will come to fruition in the near future.

This is not on BC. Our coaches are overrated and do not develop talent as well as many other teams in the conference. Ole Miss took unheralded and undersized Marcus Haynes last year and he finished with 9 sacks. Myles Garret and Daylon Mack both made immediate impact at A&M. We've been without Lawson for 18 months, have a roster of 5 straight top 10 recruiting classes, and our coaches still cannot find one adequate pass rusher. That's unacceptable. You can slice and dice that any way you want, but our coaches are responsible for developing talent and they aren't doing it. Watch them this week. We will line up 4 lineman squared up across from 5 blockers and step straight into them. There will be no stunts, twists, slants, or swim moves. Hard for anyone to get a pass rush that way. Remember, one of Muschamps delays in taking the job was that he wanted to bring his own D Line coach. There was a reason for that.

This is not on BC. Our coaches are overrated and do not develop talent as well as many other teams in the conference. Ole Miss took unheralded and undersized Marcus Haynes last year and he finished with 9 sacks. Myles Garret and Daylon Mack both made immediate impact at A&M. We've been without Lawson for 18 months, have a roster of 5 straight top 10 recruiting classes, and our coaches still cannot find one adequate pass rusher. That's unacceptable. You can slice and dice that any way you want, but our coaches are responsible for developing talent and they aren't doing it. Watch them this week. We will line up 4 lineman squared up across from 5 blockers and step straight into them. There will be no stunts, twists, slants, or swim moves. Hard for anyone to get a pass rush that way. Remember, one of Muschamps delays in taking the job was that he wanted to bring his own D Line coach. There was a reason for that.

This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Got a link or something to verify this unusual claim?

This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Got a link or something to verify this unusual claim?

Yes, please provide some information.

Cowart has already been in on a higher percentage of defensive plays in his first four games than Lawson played in his first four back in 2013. Someone posted it, but Lawson played only about 17% of our defensive plays and Cowart has played about 25%. Lawson got acclimated midseason and played a lot more as the year wore on (and as Dee Ford got back to full speed and became a force on the other end), but Cowart is playing about as much as he should right now. I anticipate that increasing as the season wears on.

I think Coach Garner is doing a fine job running the defensive line at Auburn. Anything about Muschamp delaying in taking the job because of him wanting to bring his own defensive line coach was probably just a rumor. I will agree that our line needs a spark. These last 10 games or so, with the exception of the Louisville first half, the D line has been lifeless. In 2013 we had Dee Ford on one side and Carl Lawson on the other. You didn't need to do anything special. Those two could pressure the QB on passing situations about 40-50% of the time. Coming from the edge with their skill set created angles for our DTs to come off their blocks and attack the QB. There wasn't a need for stunts and twists. But something has got to change. Even when we send five, the linebacker just hits a brick wall and creates nothing except more room for the dump off pass. It's frustrating to watch because I think we all expected more. I promise I will never have any expectations for another Auburn team for as long as I live. Or at least not until next year when we go undefeated and win a national championship.

To Foundation Eagle - It'd be more like - Muschamp coaches 2 positions - MLB and WLB, Thompson coaches 2 - SLB (when on the field) and Buck, Garner coaches 3 - 2 DTs and SDE, and Robinson coaches 5 - 2 CBs, 2 Safeties, and 1 NB (when on the field). Think there's some collaboration between Garner and Thompson at SDE though so I think they kinda share that spot in certain situations.

I think Coach Garner is doing a fine job running the defensive line at Auburn.

:rimshot:

Give him time and he may be unstoppable.

What player couldn't you say this about?

Players who don't have Cowart's size and athleticism will get better given time but probably won't become elite. I believe the poster said this about Cowart because of his potential to become elite. May not happen but if I was a betting man I would bet that it will. I am just not sure when the light will come on along with the work ethic to become elite.

Players who don't have Cowart's size and athleticism will get better given time but probably won't become elite. I believe the poster said this about Cowart because of his potential to become elite. May not happen but if I was a betting man I would bet that it will. I am just not sure when the light will come on along with the work ethic to become elite.

Correct. We are talking about a true freshman that has played 4 games. I can't remember a true freshman DE that has played as much as he has in the first 4 games of his career. Lawson did not play near this much this early.

Correct. We are talking about a true freshman that has played 4 games. I can't remember a true freshman DE that has played as much as he has in the first 4 games of his career. Lawson did not play near this much this early.

Kerryon Johnson is another true freshman on the team. I'd say he's made some noise, jumped out on film a few times. You've heard the coaches say his name a few times in front of microphones, too.

Nobody's calling Cowart a bust. Nobody's saying that he necessarily should have done more by now*. But, yeah, you kinda wish that the #1 player in the country- who I think we all agree has the athletic gifts in spades- had made a little noise at a position of absolutely desperate need by now.

Edit: *Okay, maybe that's what some of us are saying.

Most juniors and seniors on this team if they are not already dominant.

Archived