Sarkisian Issues

ShocksMyBrain

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB

Am told by multiple sources Steve Sarkisian showed up in no condition to work today & #USC brass knows he needs serious help.

Joe Schad @schadjoe

Steve Sarkisian will seek treatment and Clay Helton is interim coach at USC per source.

USC Trojans

USC Trojans – Verified account ‏@USC_Athletics

USC AD Pat Haden announces that Steve Sarkisian will take an "indefinite leave of absence." Clay Helton named interim head coach.

So....pretty much he is fired????

I never cared for Sark or USC so oh well!!!! USC is still going to end up in the top 3 in recruiting again so this development probably doesnt have much of an effect on anything.

Orgeron?

Doubt it. He was pretty pissed when they didn't give him the job. But everyone has a price.

I don't think Orgeron is big time head coaching material. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to start hearing Chip Kelly's name thrown around. Already heard it thrown around in relation to Texas. Those would be two good places to land if things don't work out for Kelly in the NFL.

Also, that's sad to hear about Sarkisian.

Orgeron?

Doubt it. He was pretty pissed when they didn't give him the job. But everyone has a price.

I don't think Orgeron is big time head coaching material. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to start hearing Chip Kelly's name thrown around. Already heard it thrown around in relation to Texas. Those would be two good places to land if things don't work out for Kelly in the NFL.

Also, that's sad to hear about Sarkisian.

Likely will be some changes by the end of the year....can't see USCw announcing anything until the season is over and they have a shot at the complete marketplace. As for Sark....expect his is not in a protected position where the school would have to save his job while he is in recovery....and of course this has already occurred earlier in the year and he apparently did not take whatever advice he got at that time. A bad thing for him of course...but also for a bunch of football players who were expected to have a shot at the play-offs.

@InsideUSC: BREAKING: #USC players said Sarkisian drank and passed out on flight back from Washington State game in 2014. Some reportedly took photos

It is kinda sketchy if USC did this merely because they are losing. They had to know about his alcoholism problems before today.

It is kinda sketchy if USC did this merely because they are losing. They had to know about his alcoholism problems before today.

Knowing about it and giving him the chance(s)/steps to deal with it probably. But when standards are not met, then action is taken. Sounds like him not showing for practice was the next failure that led to next step of disciplinary action for the "disease." I don't think they can "punish" him for being an alcoholic, but they can take disciplinary action for not being at practice.

Kind of like Duke. I am sure Gus knew of his problems and gave him chances until he did not meet standards....

Knowing about it and giving him the chance(s)/steps to deal with it probably. But when standards are not met, then action is taken. Sounds like him not showing for practice was the next failure that led to next step of disciplinary action for the "disease." I don't think they can "punish" him for being an alcoholic, but they can take disciplinary action for not being at practice.

Kind of like Duke. I am sure Gus knew of his problems and gave him chances until he did not meet standards....

Alcoholism isn't a disease, its an addiction. People make conscience decisions to drink. They can definitely punish him for being an alcoholic. His list of acceptable or unacceptable behavior is likely in his contract. If he's at the point where he doesn't even attend a practice that he's supposed to be in charge of then he is in breach of his contract.

It might not be a "disease" but under some state laws it is a disability and surely you all know one cannot be discriminated against because of a disability. Sure, he must be held to a certain standard and could easily be fired for "drinking on the job" but good luck firing him because of chronic alcoholism.

This reminds me of another university coming off probation and very high expectations for winning. They desperately sought a head football coach and the got one from Washington State Univ. Did not work out well.

USC - Carroll -> Kiffin -> Sarkisian

UAT - Stallings -> DuBose -> Franchione -> Price

This reminds me of another university coming off probation and very high expectations for winning. They desperately sought a head football coach and the got one from Washington State Univ. Did not work out well.

Sark was at U of Washington...not WSU....but was part of the Pete Carroll staff as noted.

Sark was at U of Washington...not WSU....but was part of the Pete Carroll staff as noted.

Coach Mike Price

Archived