2016 3* JUCO QB/ATH John Franklin III (AU commit 11/4/15)

jskilgro

Just for the record....Cam passed for less than 100 yards in two games, under 200 yards in 6 games and just barely over 200 in 3 other games...and over 300 in 2 games (Chatt. and USCe). He was 36th in passing yardage for NCAA QBs....but he did have a big arm and some guys who could catch those long passes.

He was not a prolific passer and folks seem to remember the big plays...but it was his legs that won him the Heisman....and in particular, that play against LSU where he outran an LSU All American to the end zone.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure of the Franklin kid.......he gets an offer supposedly. But he doesn't know it's Auburn University intead of the ole University of Auburn. Starting off wrong already kid.

Not sure of the Franklin kid.......he gets an offer supposedly. But he doesn't know it's Auburn University intead of the ole University of Auburn. Starting off wrong already kid.

Neither did Pat Dye at his first press conference.

Neither did Pat Dye at his first press conference.

Wow. I didnt know that. That is pretty sad.

Any word on this John Franklin kid? I read the topic title, and thought there would be something about him in the thread. Apparently, that's what I get for thinking.

I love these posts too

Franklin is being recruited as a Athlete. He apparently played some WR while at FL ST. He was on the track team at FL ST. You can't teach speed. If he came, he would be the fastest player we had. He may or may not work out at QB, but I would see to it that he was on the field. Speed kills.

If he is a legitimate DT QB then if we sign him he should be a QB. While sometimes an athlete who has been playing QB can transition to a different position more often then not it doesn't work out. So either he is a legitimate DT QB or we shouldn't be recruiting him.

He's not faster than Ford but I think the LAST thing we need is another qb at wr

If he is a legitimate DT QB then if we sign him he should be a QB. While sometimes an athlete who has been playing QB can transition to a different position more often then not it doesn't work out. So either he is a legitimate DT QB or we shouldn't be recruiting him.

The only reason Jason Smith hasn't made 2 of our 3 biggest plays of the season on offense is because one of them was called back and the QB made the other one way more difficult than it should have been. He also scored a very big touchdown the other day.

Kodi Burns very much contributed as a WR.

College QBs move to other positions in the NFL all the time. Nick Marshall just did. Trovon Reed is still bouncing around the NFL as a CB (never a QB, I know).

I agree that we shouldn't recruit the kid as a QB if we don't actually plan for him to be a QB, but I don't agree that we shouldn't recruit him as something else if that's what he wants to do. QBs who move positions and fail tend not to be great athletes to begin with. Sounds like this guy is an athlete.

Franklin is being recruited as a Athlete. He apparently played some WR while at FL ST. He was on the track team at FL ST. You can't teach speed. If he came, he would be the fastest player we had. He may or may not work out at QB, but I would see to it that he was on the field. Speed kills.

The eternal quest for the next Percey Harvin...

Just for the record....Cam passed for less than 100 yards in two games, under 200 yards in 6 games and just barely over 200 in 3 other games...and over 300 in 2 games (Chatt. and USCe). He was 36th in passing yardage for NCAA QBs....but he did have a big arm and some guys who could catch those long passes.

He was not a prolific passer and folks seem to remember the big plays...but it was his legs that won him the Heisman....and in particular, that play against LSU where he outran an LSU All American to the end zone.

Exactly. Lol @ passing < 100 yards in 2 games. His running was so good he could get away with passing it <15 times a game in some games. If his passing was better than his running I'm pretty sure Gus would've utilized it more than he did.

I'm cool with taking a guy when you have a sound group and taking that chance he can be special but right now I want us to find a 6'3" guy who can jump and all he knows is basketball and playing wr

He's not faster than Ford but I think the LAST thing we need is another qb at wr

I pretty much agree. I think we need to focus on bringing in those two or three highly rated WRs. Some of these great athletes we've signed in the past never seem to find the right position. Hands not good enough for offense and just not physical or aggressive enough for defense. Ford is one who found the right fit on defense. I remember light turning on for Ryan Smith and Ryan Davis after about 4 years getting very little playing time. I'm not sure if that is a good rate of return for two ex QBs but they are Auburn men and I salute them for sticking with us.

I'm cool with taking a guy when you have a sound group and taking that chance he can be special but right now I want us to find a 6'3" guy who can jump and all he knows is basketball and playing wr

Once again I agree. The Ole Miss and MSU receivers are all big physical 6'-3" guys who can run the routes, block, and catch everything. Kind of like a Duke with a better attitude. A JUCO who hasn't played WR may not have the time to get to that level.

I don't understand the logic in taking a JUCO 'Athlete' when there is no shortage of HS 'Athletes' you can find who hold much more than 2-3 years of eligibility. I mean, if this is such a no-brainer then why are we the only P5 school who seems to be showing any serious interest? This guy isn't the only "fast athlete" in the country, you know how many HS track-stars you can find in Florida?

There is a fast 6-foot tall receiver in this state named Velus Jones who we are showing no interest in. He's been committed to Southern Cal for months (Tee Martin clearly sees something in him) but has recently opened things back up after Sarkisian's dismissal. Tennessee just offered him recently. Why not look at this kid?

I don't understand the logic in taking a JUCO 'Athlete' when there is no shortage of HS 'Athletes' you can find who hold much more than 2-3 years of eligibility. I mean, if this is such a no-brainer then why are we the only P5 school who seems to be showing any serious interest? This guy isn't the only "fast athlete" in the country, you know how many HS track-stars you can find in Florida?

There is a fast 6-foot tall receiver in this state named Velus Jones who we are showing no interest in. He's been committed to Southern Cal for months (Tee Martin clearly sees something in him) but has recently opened things back up after Sarkisian's dismissal. Tennessee just offered him recently. Why not look at this kid?

Evidently we like the package deal 3* WR's. Velus is a speedster though.

Are you sure they didn't look and don't like something they see?

bama hasn't offered him? UGA? Ole Miss? FSU?

I think offering Franklin says JJ's time at AU is done. And that's a pretty educated "think".

Unless he graduates by the end of the Summer he can't go anywhere for his senior year.

Why not? He can redshirt next year and still play a year at Div 1.

No senior ever redshirts barring injury.

I think offering Franklin says JJ's time at AU is done. And that's a pretty educated "think".

Unless he graduates by the end of the Summer he can't go anywhere for his senior year.

They never do because they can't, or because they just don't?

He has 2 years left on his clock, but can only play 1 year. So he either goes all in over 2 years for 1 year to shine at a Power 5 school, or finishes up quickly at a lower division school. I'd go with the first option...sit on the sidelines some more, learn, get better with my reads, and then go all out and compete during that 5th year.

He has 2 years left on his clock, but can only play 1 year. So he either goes all in over 2 years for 1 year to shine at a Power 5 school, or finishes up quickly at a lower division school. I'd go with the first option...sit on the sidelines some more, learn, get better with my reads, and then go all out and compete during that 5th year.

So the answer to my question is they can, they just don't?

Archived