2016 3* JUCO QB/ATH John Franklin III (AU commit 11/4/15)

jskilgro

folks keep forgetting that Woody Barrett will be coming to Auburn in the 2016 class. This young man is the real deal and will push SW hard next season. This is a good thing giving us 2 very good QBs. Mr. Franklin will be given a shot at QB, but may wind up as a DB or receiver. He has speed to burn, and this is what we need. He has the skills and with being coached up correctly, he will be a great asset for us in 2016.

Nice to have a true QB coming in like WB but if he is good enough to take the starting QB job as a freshman next year we will probably be looking at another long season. Just my observation over the years but teams with a freshman QB don't usually thrive in the SEC.

Sean White is thriving right now. If Barrett takes the job from White, then that means he's well ahead of the curve.

Thriving? SW is thriving perhaps but the team?.... not so sure about that. But....I'm a SW fan and I think he is doing well and will be much better next season and hard to see a part-time JUCO take the job. And it was interesting to read in the al.com piece about JFIII....that he was coming to challenge SW for the QB job ....and the writer never mentioned JJ...almost caused me to check the obituaries....but obvious that most people consider that he is "already gone".

Meanwhile, what does this make FJIII the 3rd or 4th or 5th former D-T QB who is coming to AU to get a chance to play QB when about everyone else in the world knows that he will find some WR gloves in his locker the day he reports.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it be crazy to assume the thinking may be Cory Grant / Onterio McCalebb type role?

Absolutely not. Kid's bigger than McCalebb and has clocked similar times in the 100 meter. Might have better vision and hips than Grant.

Looked like Truitt might be working towards getting some of those touches and then he got hurt.

What we did was get a commitment from one of the two or three fastest kids in all of college football. It's a scholarship slot well spent. There is always a place for speed.

Speed can kill a defense!!!!!!!!!!!!

3*, 5'6, 168 lb Trindon Holliday is glad that some folks get it.

Thriving? SW is thriving perhaps but the team?.... not so sure about that.

Yes, I believe that Sean White is thriving. He is playing very well despite some folks not playing as well around him. And even those folks are playing better than they were before he took the job.

Meanwhile, what does this make FJIII the 3rd or 4th or 5th former D-T QB who is coming to AU to get a chance to play QB when about everyone else in the world knows that he will find some WR gloves in his locker the day he reports.

Everybody keeps saying this, but I still haven't heard anybody explain why it's actually a problem. Mikey proved with numbers that the "failure rate" of converted WRs on this team isn't any lower than that of "true" WRs. Jason Smith, who this guy mirrors almost exactly from post-high school career trajectory to measurables to recruitment, has quickly become our best deep threat.

What specifically is bad about recruiting guys in this manner? Again, there is absolutely no evidence that he has a smaller chance of being successful than any other recruit.

Oh, and if folks think we're recruiting guys like this instead of true WRs, we have Eli Stove committed as well as Marquis McClain, and we are looking mighty good for Kyle Davis.

folks keep forgetting that Woody Barrett will be coming to Auburn in the 2016 class. This young man is the real deal and will push SW hard next season. This is a good thing giving us 2 very good QBs. Mr. Franklin will be given a shot at QB, but may wind up as a DB or receiver. He has speed to burn, and this is what we need. He has the skills and with being coached up correctly, he will be a great asset for us in 2016.

Sorry doc but that ain't happening. Woody is a good QB with lots of potential but has a lot to learn in throwing and reading defenses. I hoping we get a good QB coach who can work with him.

Would it be crazy to assume the thinking may be Cory Grant / Onterio McCalebb type role?

Absolutely not. Kid's bigger than McCalebb and has clocked similar times in the 100 meter. Might have better vision and hips than Grant.

Looked like Truitt might be working towards getting some of those touches and then he got hurt.

What we did was get a commitment from one of the two or three fastest kids in all of college football. It's a scholarship slot well spent. There is always a place for speed.

Yes, I believe that Sean White is thriving. He is playing very well despite some folks not playing as well around him. And even those folks are playing better than they were before he took the job.

Everybody keeps saying this, but I still haven't heard anybody explain why it's actually a problem. Mikey proved with numbers that the "failure rate" of converted WRs on this team isn't any lower than that of "true" WRs. Jason Smith, who this guy mirrors almost exactly from post-high school career trajectory to measurables to recruitment, has quickly become our best deep threat.

What specifically is bad about recruiting guys in this manner? Again, there is absolutely no evidence that he has a smaller chance of being successful than any other recruit.

Oh, and if folks think we're recruiting guys like this instead of true WRs, we have Eli Stove committed as well as Marquis McClain, and we are looking mighty good for Kyle Davis.

Smith is our best deep threat? He has 1 catch for 46 yards. Outside of that 1 play, he has 6 catches for a total of 38 yards for the year... Ricardo is clearly our best deep threat and it's not even close.

Guess I'm only seeing this as a "problem" if the coaches are spending time trying to make a questionable prospect into a QB instead of helping the current starter and back-up get even better. And of course there is the issue of the the "athlete" missing out on development work at the position he is more likely to play. Just not sure how the team benefits from this..... :dunno:

Guess I'm only seeing this as a "problem" if the coaches are spending time trying to make a questionable prospect into a QB instead of helping the current starter and back-up get even better. And of course there is the issue of the the "athlete" missing out on development work at the position he is more likely to play. Just not sure how the team benefits from this..... :dunno:

Gotcha. That's a reasonable opinion.

No way this kid plays QB at Auburn. Excellent speed is visible and will be an asset. Passing is good enough for a wildcat option. Too East and west with his running at times, needs some added size, carries the ball like a young Michael Vick (palming it and holding it down by his knee). He is a talent and I'm excited to have him but I'll be curious to see how he is used.

A small note, I think White is a much better runner than we give him credit for. SW has decent speed and good vision. Obviously his tweaked knee isn't ideal for running.

A small note, I think White is a much better runner than we give him credit for. SW has decent speed and good vision. Obviously his tweaked knee isn't ideal for running.

It's hilarious that so many folks still think Johnson is the more mobile of the two.

Lol let white start running then you guys will be complaining about play calling o line and everything else that's not SW. The fact that many of you hate the thought of a qb coming in because of SW even having a threat at qb is hilarious.

Lol let white start running then you guys will be complaining about play calling o line and everything else that's not SW. The fact that many of you hate the thought of a qb coming in because of SW even having a threat at qb is hilarious.

No one hates the thought of a QB coming in because of Sean having a threat. Most people here see that this kid is an undersized second string Juco QB and that Sean is a very talented QB.

I think we all will agree that Woody Barrett is going to give Sean plenty of competition. Franklin... not so much.

Woody hasn't seen college players on defense. He will have to adjust to the speed of the game. This guy is around the size of SW and I guess you all don't realize what the threat to run really does to a defense, as far as being second string is the guy ahead of him not getting any offers or something? Let some of you tell it Marshall wouldn't have been able to beat out SW coming out of juco

Woody hasn't seen college players on defense. He will have to adjust to the speed of the game. This guy is around the size of SW and I guess you all don't realize what the threat to run really does to a defense, as far as being second string is the guy ahead of him not getting any offers or something? Let some of you tell it Marshall wouldn't have been able to beat out SW coming out of juco

I don't know that Marshall would have been able to beat out Sean. I find it fascinating how quickly everyone has forgotten that Marshall was far from accurate in his passing. Yes, his wheels and instincts kept a lot of plays alive, but Marshall was not a great QB. The second half of last season should make that pretty clear.

But what's funny is the high regard placed on SW for doing nothing. When in actuality he has alot to do to be mentioned in the same breath as Marshall it's a debate if Marshall could have beat SW out.....lol really?

I guess you all don't realize what the threat to run really does to a defense

The threat to accurately throw a ball is of some value, too.

Right so before saying he will never be a qb or he's just a wildcat can the guy actually get to school and throw a ball?

But what's funny is the high regard placed on SW for doing nothing.

Extremely ignorant statement right there, though not surprising.

This coming from a guy who....nevermind I'm talking football here, you're at an unfair disadvantage in that regard

But what's funny is the high regard placed on SW for doing nothing. When in actuality he has alot to do to be mentioned in the same breath as Marshall it's a debate if Marshall could have beat SW out.....lol really?

This goes back to our conversation about Tre and CAP. I really believe that a lot of Marshall's mystique came from Robinson and Prosch. When it came to it in 2014, without those two, the read-option failed as much or more often than it succeeded. As for his passing, what was he, about 25% on anything over 10 yards (totally guessing on that, by the way)? And that wasn't because his receivers were dropping it, it was because he was off target more often than not.

Don't get me wrong, Marshall was a good QB who came in when we needed something, and fit perfectly into the team we had built around him in 2013, but he was never going to be a top QB in the NCAA, or play QB in the NFL. Sean has the skills to become a top QB in both.

I get you're in the camp of "we can't be great without a dual-threat QB", but don't let that taint your opinion of overall talent in the position.

Cole is right. It's not hard to fathom. I like Sean and think he can be very good. However Nick was a great asset to Auburn and was the starter for two years. Lets let Sean start for a bit before we crown him. Surprised with the level of fanboying going on that he's not mentioned as being able to beat out Cam. Sheesh

This goes back to our conversation about Tre and CAP. I really believe that a lot of Marshall's mystique came from Robinson and Prosch. When it came to it in 2014, without those two, the read-option failed as much or more often than it succeeded. As for his passing, what was he, about 25% on anything over 10 yards (totally guessing on that, by the way)? And that wasn't because his receivers were dropping it, it was because he was off target more often than not.

Don't get me wrong, Marshall was a good QB who came in when we needed something, and fit perfectly into the team we had built around him in 2013, but he was never going to be a top QB in the NCAA, or play QB in the NFL. Sean has the skills to become a top QB in both.

I get you're in the camp of "we can't be great without a dual-threat QB", but don't let that taint your opinion of overall talent in the position.

I'm actually not in that camp I just know that in college being able to run makes defenses have to do so much that being an elite passer isn't required to becoming a dominant team. But come on man you can't make a statement like SW has the skills to be a top qb in the NFL and tell me not to let stuff taint my talent evaluation. He hasn't shown that on the field yet.

Cole is right. It's not hard to fathom. I like Sean and think he can be very good. However Nick was a great asset to Auburn and was the starter for two years. Lets let Sean start for a bit before we crown him. Surprised with the level of fanboying going on that he's not mentioned as being able to beat out Cam. Sheesh

Nobody is "fan boying" and no one is even considering comparing him to Cam. What we are seeing is the most naturally talented pocket passer that AU has had in a VERY long time.

Nick was a great asset and a phenomenal athlete... he was also a good quarterback. He was not, however, a great quarterback.

Nobody is "fan boying" and no one is even considering comparing him to Cam. What we are seeing is the most naturally talented pocket passer that AU has had in a VERY long time.

Nick was a great asset and a phenomenal athlete... he was also a good quarterback. He was not, however, a great quarterback.

Maybe even could have been classified as a pretty good QB....either way, NM knew this. I recall that Gus's goal was to get his passing percentage north of 65% which did not happen.

Meanwhile, it took Nick only about 10 seconds to decide to put himself up for the NFL draft as a DB and not even give QB a shot....more of a realist apparently than many folks posting on this board.

With Nick Marshall at QB, our offense really, truly failed twice: LSU in '13 and UGA in '14. That LSU game was about turnovers in the first half and the UGA game... well, it had something to do with them finally just having a really bad day, but it sure felt like we'd been found out that day. It still bothers me.

Otherwise, he led a really, really good offense for 25 games out of 27. I'd say he was a great quarterback at Auburn, just not a great passer.

Archived